rebeccajo

If you have health insurance through your employer

What do you pay for coverage both in dollars and as a percentage of your gross wages.  

69 members have voted

1. 1. What do you pay in dollars for your coverage each pay period?

• less than $50
    • $50 to $100
    • $100 to $150
    • $150 to 200
    • $200 to $250
    • $250 to $300
    • $300 to $350
    • $350 to $400
    • more than $400 - eeek!
  2. 2. What is the dollar amount you pay for health insurance as a percentage of your gross wages? (Example if you pay $100 for insurance and your pre-tax income is $1000 you are paying 10%)

• less than 3%
    • 4% to 5%
    • 6% to 7%
    • 8% to 10%
    • 10% to 12%
    • 13% to 15%
    • more than 15%

57 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Yipes - that sucks big time RebeccaJo.

We pay just over 6% for health insurance for my husband and me, have an individual deductible plus a family deductible that needs to be met and have copays between $20 to $40 for doctors (family doctor is $20 everyone else is $40). Prescription copays are between 50% to 80% depending if the insurance company is sponsoring that particular brand of medicine or not (not everything has a generic and some medications are not one size fits all but the insurance company likes to think so).

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RJ - sorry to hear about the high price. We currently have coverage under a crappy COBRA. a good price due to the "stimulus discount" or whatever it is called. We have maxed on precription benefits for the year so I am investigating getting hubby's migraine meds in Canada.

Col - have you considered how much you really spend on dental. Maybe your teeth need work, but 2 checkups a year are probably less than $500 and you are spending almost $1200 a year just on dental premiums???

If I did my math correctly, mine is just over 6% when I include dental coverage. My dental insurance is pretty damn high - about $95 a month and that's without my wife covered. It's a dental PPO though.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

We have now moved back to Canada, however ours was a little over 20%. Mind you my Husband's employer wasn't the greatest in the land, however wages are notoriously low for IT work in Florida and of course Health insurance is notoriously high.

That 20% paid for some dental and vision - which was a tiny portion of the premium - the health coverage consisted of a $6000 per year deductible and they would pay 20% after that - until you reached a deductible of $11,000 then they would pay more.

Before the $6000 they paid zero.

While he was working there they cut his wages - well everyones, by 8%. They then gave that back to him and another co-worker, probably because the premiums jumped by $100 per month a couple of weeks later.

Also, while he was working there they changed the plan so there was no other option than the plan described above. So people with kids etc who had probably paid higher premiums for a 'better' plan for years were simply forced to buy the above plan.

Edited by trailmix

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Ours is about $300 a month for dental and medical. Co-pays are between 25 - 50, with medicine costs 10 - 50 per Rx with the first $150 per person paid by us. Some doctors stuff not paid for which I would think is typical. Dental is $1,500 per person per year, with $50 deductible. Our dental is not as much like 50 of the 300, so worth it for us. Ask me again in January when of course I am sure it will go up again.

K-1 journey, AOS/EAD and ROC in my timeline

2011 March 31 - Sent off Naturalization pkg overnight to Texas

2011 April 1 - Arrived in Texas at 10:21 am

2011 April 1 - NOA (rec'd via snail mail April 8)

2011 April 7 - Cheque cashed

2011 May 5 - Biometrics (letter rec'd via snail mail April 15)

2011 May 9 - Placed in line for interview scheduling

2011 June 13 - Rec'd yellow letter (no change in status online)

2011 June 23 - Rec'd text that my case has been scheduled for interview

2011 August 1 - Interview (rec'd via snail mail June 27) PASSED

2011 August 3 - Rec'd email that my case has been scheduled for Oath

2011 September 1 - Oath ceremony (rec'd snail mail Aug 5)

2011 September 1 - All done, yeah.

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
Col - have you considered how much you really spend on dental. Maybe your teeth need work, but 2 checkups a year are probably less than $500 and you are spending almost $1200 a year just on dental premiums???

If I did my math correctly, mine is just over 6% when I include dental coverage. My dental insurance is pretty damn high - about $95 a month and that's without my wife covered. It's a dental PPO though.

You make a very good point. But throw in a few fillings, or even one single root canal, and that would cancel it out my contribution. Also, a lot of dentists won't accept Dental HMO's.

My employer pays my entire premium but I have foot the premium to insure my husband

Previous job 10%

Current job 8%

Reasonable considering the level of coverage (low co-pays and deductibles, 100% coverage after copay/deductible)

DCF Timeline here

POE Timeline

08/24/2008 POE Seattle

08/29/2008 SSN assigned

09/08/2008 SSN (Card) received

09/29/2008 Green Card received

I-90 Timeline (USCIS error)

11/10/2008 Send I-90 to Texas service center

12/xx/2008 NOA1

01/07/2009 Card production ordered

01/14/2009 Card mailed

01/xx/2009 Card received

I-751 Timeline

06/02/2010 Send I-751 to California service center

06/04/2010 Received at CSC

06/07/2010 NOA1

06/09/2010 Check cashed

07/27/2010 Biometrics

07/28/2010 Touch

09/02/2010 Approved

I also voted on the lower ends - And it's for my single coverage as well. Dunno how much it will be when it's employee+spouse.

K-1:

January 28, 2009: NOA1

June 4, 2009: Interview - APPROVED!!!

October 11, 2009: Wedding

AOS:

December 23, 2009: NOA1!

January 22, 2010: Bogus RFE corrected through congressional inquiry "EAD waiting on biometrics only" Read about it here.

March 15, 2010: AOS interview - RFE for I-693 vaccination supplement - CS signed part 6!

March 27, 2010: Green Card recieved

ROC:

March 1, 2012: Mailed ROC package

March 7, 2012: Tracking says "notice left"...after a phone call to post office.

More detailed time line in profile.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

I pay $22.70 each paycheck, roughly around 2%, but thats just for me, can't get hubby on my insurance coz i'm not Full-time. :(

Separated!!

Filed: Other Country: Morocco
Timeline

to cover my family I pay almost $700 a month. PLUS 25-50 dollar copays and an annual cap on spending. More than once I have considered dropping it - my rationale being, the walk-in clinic down the street charges a flat 75 bucks a visit, so really we could go to the doctor 10 times a month for that money, which never happens. But I am scared of an accident, or an unexpected serious illness or catastrophe, so I keep shelling out more than 15% of my monthly income for the coverage. But you can bet I am watching the health care debate and developments like a hawk.....

Photo1949-1.jpg

5GTLm7.png

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Other Timeline
to cover my family I pay almost $700 a month. PLUS 25-50 dollar copays and an annual cap on spending. More than once I have considered dropping it - my rationale being, the walk-in clinic down the street charges a flat 75 bucks a visit, so really we could go to the doctor 10 times a month for that money, which never happens. But I am scared of an accident, or an unexpected serious illness or catastrophe, so I keep shelling out more than 15% of my monthly income for the coverage. But you can bet I am watching the health care debate and developments like a hawk.....

That's a shocking amount to be paying monthly. Is that coverage through your work?

Medical and dental coverage for me and hubby is still considerably less of a percentage of my salary than the 11% required by the NHS.

That said, the problem with our system (well, one of many!) are the inequities of rates that we're seeing illustrated in this topic. Not to mention some of the crazy requirements of some insurance companies. I read one yesterday where a lady was in debt because she failed to get pre certification from her insurance for an ambulance ride. :lol: Yeah, I think I'm having a heart attack and the first thing I'm going to do is call the insurance company. Riiiight...... That's some of the s*** Congress needs to fix.

SA4userbar.jpg

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

That's a shocking amount to be paying monthly. Is that coverage through your work?

I wonder if it would be cheaper to save that $700/month in a health savings account and

just pay cash - in full - for doctor visits.

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

I wonder if it would be cheaper to save that $700/month in a health savings account and

just pay cash - in full - for doctor visits.

It could... until on the off chance something catastrophic happens and you end up in hospital and after treatment and discharge you get hit with a $xxx,xxx bill

DCF Timeline here

POE Timeline

08/24/2008 POE Seattle

08/29/2008 SSN assigned

09/08/2008 SSN (Card) received

09/29/2008 Green Card received

I-90 Timeline (USCIS error)

11/10/2008 Send I-90 to Texas service center

12/xx/2008 NOA1

01/07/2009 Card production ordered

01/14/2009 Card mailed

01/xx/2009 Card received