christera22

Bollywood star held in U.S. airport, fans outraged!!

52 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline
What I was trying to express with my sarcastic post is that I am very tired of the US thinking that they are the greatest country in the world and that everyone wants to live there, legally or illegally. That people who go through POE are questioned like criminals, although they are only going there on vacation or for business with no intention to stay there.

This is a great country, not perfect and we have our fair share of problems. I dont think that perpetuating these stereotypes do any good and I think it is inaccurate for the most part.

Those aren't stereotypes, they are generalizations which are generally true and they're not a commentary on our country's values, but of our policies.

Her main focus was on how the US thinks that we are the greatest country. I find this inaccurate I see many here, on tv, and at work that dont think the USA is the best country in the world and perpetuating that myth does no good.

All that aside my point was that her sarcasm IMO does no good.

Liking my sarcasm or not, from reading on this board, from meeting Americans all over the world (I lived in other countries and have travelled a lot) and from having been to the States many times plus after following America's politics for the past 8 years, America and it's citizens generally think they are the greatest country in the world. That is my experience.

Of course I know Americans who would much rather not live there or criticise their country and it's policies. But the majority seems to think the US is THE place to be. I just don't like the cockiness. And after saying all that, I just want to clarify that not all is bad in the US. But there are many things I strongly disagree with.

Edited by Ms. Squirrel

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
What I was trying to express with my sarcastic post is that I am very tired of the US thinking that they are the greatest country in the world and that everyone wants to live there, legally or illegally. That people who go through POE are questioned like criminals, although they are only going there on vacation or for business with no intention to stay there.

This is a great country, not perfect and we have our fair share of problems. I dont think that perpetuating these stereotypes do any good and I think it is inaccurate for the most part.

Those aren't stereotypes, they are generalizations which are generally true and they're not a commentary on our country's values, but of our policies.

Her main focus was on how the US thinks that we are the greatest country. I find this inaccurate I see many here, on tv, and at work that dont think the USA is the best country in the world and perpetuating that myth does no good.

...and you have never EVER been guilty of sarcasm either, eh? :blink: I've seen just as many on here who shoot back with comments like "Yeah the US IS the greatest and if you don't like it here, then leave!" So I don't think she was perpetuating a myth at all.

I'm the USC. I get to experience "third degree security" every freakin time I fly HOME to the great country. I'm a natural born US citizen too. So why do some POE's in the US do this to their own? Why am I ALWAYS a "random check"? I think it's because those guys and gals at the border offices are on a huge power trip and love to throw around their weight. Each time I experience this I feel humiliated.

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

Filed: Country: Brazil
Timeline

...and you have never EVER been guilty of sarcasm either, eh? :blink: I've seen just as many on here who shoot back with comments like "Yeah the US IS the greatest and if you don't like it here, then leave!" So I don't think she was perpetuating a myth at all.

I'm the USC. I get to experience "third degree security" every freakin time I fly HOME to the great country. I'm a natural born US citizen too. So why do some POE's in the US do this to their own? Why am I ALWAYS a "random check"? I think it's because those guys and gals at the border offices are on a huge power trip and love to throw around their weight. Each time I experience this I feel humiliated.

I've also had a security detained inspection leaving Brazil. It took a while ... the officer (she was hot) ... was eventually satisfied and returned me to my wife. Also experienced this in other countries as well as the USA ... it happens.

America and it's citizens generally think they are the greatest country in the world. That is my experience.

Like it or not, agree with it or not, the US is considered the place to go/be if you want freedom, opportunity, etc... (and it's been that way since the beginning) - so it ain't bragging if it's true...

Of course, all to often - Americans abroad tend to be easy to pick out of a crowd - loud, obnoxious and arrogant.. (but they're often that way here too)... B)

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

There is a prevailing attitude among some Americans that the USA still stands as the beacon of the Free World, which makes it a bit ironic when we have the highest prison population among industrialized nations, and we continue to have the Patriot Act, which allows the government to eavesdrop on its citizens. I think her comments were totally appropriate in that context.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

There is a prevailing attitude among some Americans that the USA still stands as the beacon of the Free World, which makes it a bit ironic when we have the highest prison population among industrialized nations, and we continue to have the Patriot Act, which allows the government to eavesdrop on its citizens. I think her comments were totally appropriate in that context.

agreed, but you left out the reporting of emails to the white house - another example of jackbooted politics.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

agreed, but you left out the reporting of emails to the white house - another example of jackbooted politics.

Don't forget the vapor trails and black helicopters.. :ph34r:

I wonder if the attitude would be the same if ms. squirrels loved ones were killed by bad ppl that got through easily. I sat in Mexico city customs for 6 hours waiting in line so its not just the U.S.

"I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."- Ayn Rand

“Your freedom to be you includes my freedom to be free from you.”

― Andrew Wilkow

Liking my sarcasm or not, from reading on this board, from meeting Americans all over the world (I lived in other countries and have travelled a lot) and from having been to the States many times plus after following America's politics for the past 8 years, America and it's citizens generally think they are the greatest country in the world. That is my experience.

Of course I know Americans who would much rather not live there or criticise their country and it's policies. But the majority seems to think the US is THE place to be. I just don't like the cockiness. And after saying all that, I just want to clarify that not all is bad in the US. But there are many things I strongly disagree with.

If that is your experience then I think you have been a victim of circumstances. That has not been my experience in the 34 years I have lived here. I have lived in 4 different states and visited many more. I dont consider myself the type of person who only sees what he wants to and yes there is no shortage of people who want to let everybody know they think America is the best, that said there is no shortage of people here that want to tell me about all the issues America has,

In this manner no! My sarcasm stays on topic. I make a point to try to stay away from those sort of generalizations.

SRK is a fuсking diva.

The United States on Sunday denied the allegations that Bollywood superstar Shah Rukh Khan was detained and questioned for two hours at the Newark airport or that the actor was singled out because of his name or Asian identity.

The allegations "happen to be incorrect," the spokesman of the US Customs and Border Protection here Elmer Camacho said.

The spokesman said Khan was inspected because his baggage had not arrived.

"His documents and papers were checked, which were found to be in correct order," Camacho said.

After a "normal" check at the airport, Khan was taken to a different room where he was waiting for his turn since many other people were already there. The entire process ended in one hour, the spokesman said.

The entire process, he said, was handled in a "professional manner" and there was no evidence of Khan being pointed out because of his name or Asian identity.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/articleshow/4897807.cms

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

Of course you would you do the same thing all time.

Edited by looking_up

SRK is a fuсking diva.

The United States on Sunday denied the allegations that Bollywood superstar Shah Rukh Khan was detained and questioned for two hours at the Newark airport or that the actor was singled out because of his name or Asian identity.

The allegations "happen to be incorrect," the spokesman of the US Customs and Border Protection here Elmer Camacho said.

The spokesman said Khan was inspected because his baggage had not arrived.

"His documents and papers were checked, which were found to be in correct order," Camacho said.

After a "normal" check at the airport, Khan was taken to a different room where he was waiting for his turn since many other people were already there. The entire process ended in one hour, the spokesman said.

The entire process, he said, was handled in a "professional manner" and there was no evidence of Khan being pointed out because of his name or Asian identity.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/articleshow/4897807.cms

and now we have the rest of the story...

I have worked at the international airport in Seattle for many years and I am aware of how airport security works there and when people try to make the case that were targeting Muslims it makes me want to laugh. I am not saying it doesnt happen but when it does they are not sticking with the proper procedures. Problem is that when it does happen its blown out of proportion.

I am aware of how airport security works there and when people try to make the case that were targeting Muslims it makes me want to laugh. I am not saying it doesnt happen but when it does they are not sticking with the proper procedures. Problem is that when it does happen its blown out of proportion.

Well, the protocol enforcement would appear weak, then. One of my staff is of Pakistani descent - though born and raised in the US - and he always schedules an extra 30-60 min when traveling by air. Seems that the "random" extra security checks always come down on him. Nothing random about it, it would seem. Those that aren't caught up in this nonsense easily dismiss the complaints as blown out of proportion. If it hits you each and every time you want to fly somewhere, I think your perspective might be a bit different.