Pinto Pony

Tipping Etiquette

74 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline
oh and I tip around 20% (tax is 9% so I just double it and add a little more)

You are more generous than I am. Tipping in the US has gotten out of hand. I forgot how much so until I returned to the US last year.

But service here is like no other. A smile goes a long way; even small talks. They count on your tip and it matters a lot because generally people are pleasant. I've traveled all over the place and notably it's a challenge to get a decent smile from a sales lady or a waitress and when I do get it, I tip really well and it generally surprises them. I was in France once and gave a waitress 10 euro and she looked at me as if I got 2 heads. I don't think it's outrageous to tip in the U.S. The culture is very much service oriented and there is a price tag for that. :-)

- LB

Stay tune for yet another immi-saga in the life of LB & JD. Coming soon ---> AOS Chronicles

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline
I am a waitress and I make $2.13 an hour. This means that I do NOT get a paycheck b/c they take our taxes out of that. We really depend on tips...and usually hope for 18-20%

Im confused... how come you dont get a paycheck?

Whos they? And do they take the whole $2.13 off you??

It doesent make sense to me that someone could get paid that low. Is there a minimum wage in the service industry...

They is the IRS and FICA and health ins. etc... they take out taxes based on the amount of sales on the servers acount... I remember one week I would have owed money because my hourly wage was not enough to offset the calculated tips taxed... the saving grace was the tips from credit cards...

the minimum wage for servers and bartenders is just over 2 bucks..

Edited by ScottThuy

"Every one of us bears within himself the possibilty of all passions, all destinies of life in all its forms. Nothing human is foreign to us" - Edward G. Robinson.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline
I am a waitress and I make $2.13 an hour. This means that I do NOT get a paycheck b/c they take our taxes out of that. We really depend on tips...and usually hope for 18-20%

It doesent make sense to me that someone could get paid that low. Is there a minimum wage in the service industry...

They is the IRS and FICA and health ins. etc... they take out taxes based on the amount of sales on the servers acount... I remember one week I would have owed money because my hourly wage was not enough to offset the calculated tips taxed... the saving grace was the tips from credit cards...

Thanks. This is useful to know as I was a bartender for years in Ireland and I am thinking of getting back into it (while this recession is in full swing anyway!)

Do bartenders earn a decent wage in the average bar? Could anyone give me a ballpark sort of figure?

K-1 Visa Timeline

{April 3 2009 }-- Mailed packet to CSC via Priority Mail

{April 6 2009 }-- Received at CSC

{April 7 2009 }-- Cheque cashed

{April 8 2009 }-- NOA1 issued

{April 12 2009 }-- NOA1 Received

{July 15 2009 }-- Touch!

{July 15 2009 }-- Touch was the NOA2!

{July 28 2009 }-- NVC Received Case

{Aug 10 2009 }-- Packet 3 sent

{Sep 24 2009 }-- Called Department of State to check if Packet 3 was received in London - It was

{Sep 29 2009 }-- Called Department of State again to see if appointment date was Issued...it was!

{Oct 12 2009 }-- Going to have Medical in London

{Oct 16 2009 }-- Interview in London - Asked for a Police Clearance Certificate from Australia

{Oct 23 2009 }-- Sent away for Police clearance

{Nov 20 2009 }-- Received Police Clearance certificate

{Nov 24 2009 }-- Embassy Courier Collected Police Clearance and Passport

{Nov 30 2009 }-- Passport and Police Clearance qualified by Embassy

{Dec 8 2009 }-- Visa Issued

{Dec 10 2009 }-- Visa received in Belfast!

{Dec 14 2009 }-- Went through Immigration in Dublin and arrived in Indiana!

{Dec 21 2009 }-- Married 1000 Feet up in the air at the Stratosphere hotel in Las Vegas

AOS Timeline

{Apr 1 2010 }-- Sent AOS, EAD and AP package

{Apr 12 2010 }-- NOA for AOS, EAD and AP

{May 12 2010 }-- Biometrics Appointment

{June 9 2010 }-- Received Email that EAD card had been ordered

{June 9 2010 }-- Received Email that AP had been approved

yes--there are laws about min. wage. Basically, they record how much you make in tips and if I don't make at least min. wage my boss has to make up the difference. I have worked in 4 restaurants and they all have paid a very low wage and waitresses work for tips.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

This thread reminds of a few years ago, I was still living in Canada and went to NYC on vacation. My friends and I went to this restaurant, our service was terrible so we left a poor tip, about 8% or so. Anyway we left and the waitress literally CHASED us outside and started yelling that tips were her means of living and it paid her rent! Proceeded to yell how could we tip her so poorly. I was shocked! I mean if the service was good, of course we'd tip well but give good service to get a good tip! I just cannot believe she chased us out the restaurant to yell

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Timeline

Thanks. This is useful to know as I was a bartender for years in Ireland and I am thinking of getting back into it (while this recession is in full swing anyway!)

Do bartenders earn a decent wage in the average bar? Could anyone give me a ballpark sort of figure?

It depends on the bar... I was lucky and averaged $200+ /night... but that was 10+ years ago... when money is tight like today people are not likely to tip heavy unless its a high end club... JMO

"Every one of us bears within himself the possibilty of all passions, all destinies of life in all its forms. Nothing human is foreign to us" - Edward G. Robinson.

Timeline
This thread reminds of a few years ago, I was still living in Canada and went to NYC on vacation. My friends and I went to this restaurant, our service was terrible so we left a poor tip, about 8% or so. Anyway we left and the waitress literally CHASED us outside and started yelling that tips were her means of living and it paid her rent! Proceeded to yell how could we tip her so poorly. I was shocked! I mean if the service was good, of course we'd tip well but give good service to get a good tip! I just cannot believe she chased us out the restaurant to yell

Sucks to be her.. if she gave good service she would have gotten better tip... In Vietnam tipping is not customary.. it is awkward for me at times as I am in the habit to tip... service is often great there and they expect no tip.. they are happy to have a customer and a job....

Timeline

It depends on the bar... I was lucky and averaged $200+ /night... but that was 10+ years ago... when money is tight like today people are not likely to tip heavy unless its a high end club... JMO

Im hoping to get a job in an Irish bar and to use my accent as a weapon.... Theres not too many real Irishmen working in Irish bars in Indiana so I could onto a winner!

I have heard that barmen need special training over there. Is that correct?

K-1 Visa Timeline

{July 15 2009 }-- Touch!

{Sep 24 2009 }-- Called Department of State to check if Packet 3 was received in London - It was

{Sep 29 2009 }-- Called Department of State again to see if appointment date was Issued...it was!

{Oct 16 2009 }-- Interview in London - Asked for a Police Clearance Certificate from Australia

{Dec 21 2009 }-- Married 1000 Feet up in the air at the Stratosphere hotel in Las Vegas

AOS Timeline

Timeline
Im hoping to get a job in an Irish bar and to use my accent as a weapon.... Theres not too many real Irishmen working in Irish bars in Indiana so I could onto a winner!

Just need to know how to pour whats ordered... if they only sell pints its easy....

Timeline

Just need to know how to pour whats ordered... if they only sell pints its easy....

Oh...I had heard a few years back about bartending school... I did a quick google search and there is some stuff on schools and some licences that you can get online but I might just wait till I get there and ask someone in the bar.

K-1 Visa Timeline

{July 15 2009 }-- Touch!

AOS Timeline

http://www.paywizard.org/main/Minimumwagea...WageTIPRecevers

This is why I want to leave this country and renounce my citizenship, what a way for the richer to get rich and keep the working class poor!

04-12-08 Married

06-11-08 Mailed I-130 Package

06-18-08 NOA1

08-08-08 NOA2

10-22-08 Interview USEM

10-28-08 Visa Received

11-01-08 POE

That was fast!

Got to love the fact my wife was preggy and even with a RFE @ NVC she was still here in under 5 months!

Filed: Other Timeline

I gave $5 cash, if she/he's doing job great. :innocent:

"True Love is never associated with violence,deception,abuse ( emotional,physical or verbal) constant sacrifice for the good of only one person,jealousy,fear or mistrust"

------------------------------------------

National Domestic Violence Hotline

Help is available to callers 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Hotline advocates are available for victims and anyone calling on their behalf to provide crisis intervention, safety planning, information and referrals to agencies in all 50 states, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Assistance is available in English and Spanish with access to more than 170 languages through interpreter services. If you or someone you know is frightened about something in your relationship, please call the National Domestic Violence Hotline at 1-800-799-SAFE (7233) or TTY 1-800-787-3224.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Sweden
Timeline

You'd better know how to properly pour a Guinness with a cloverleaf on top. Oh, and if my husband and I come by when you're working and you happen to have some nice Jameson's glasses there we will tip you very nicely if you look the other direction when they magically makes it to our private collection. ;)

Don't know where in Indy you're going to settle but Claddagh Irish Pub (http://www.claddaghirishpubs.com/) seems to be a hot spot. We had a lot of fun when we went to the one near "The Circle" last year.

05-02-2004 Met in Östersund, Sweden
09-07-2007 Got married in Eden Gardens State Park, Santa Rosa Beach, FL

*************************************************************************************************

AOS

11-02-2007 - Filed

03-14-2008 - Green Card received

*************************************************************************************************

Lifting of Conditions

02-08-2010 - Filed

06-21-2010 - Green Card received

N-400

06-24-2017 - N-400 package sent via EFile

06-24-2017 - Payment received via credit card

07-01-2017 - Appointment notice received

07-19-2017 - Biometrics appointment in Atlanta, GA

08-04-2017 - Case updated. Interview scheduled. 

"Whither thou goest I will go, whither thou lodgest I will lodge,
Thy people shall be my people, And thy God my God." ~ Ruth 1:16

http://www.paywizard.org/main/Minimumwagea...WageTIPRecevers

This is why I want to leave this country and renounce my citizenship, what a way for the richer to get rich and keep the working class poor!

Wow, that's quite shocking actually. I've worked in several restaurants, but since California does not have a "tip credit", I made the state's minimum wage ($8) plus whatever tips I made, which usually meant I was averaging $20 per hour (wage and tips combined). I'd never even heard of a tip credit until now, but it's good to know when I'm traveling to other states. It's absolutely insane if you ask me!

Anyway, I usually tip a minimum 15% for most services (taxi, hairdresser, restaurants, etc.).

I think we need to remember too that prices are relatively low in the US vs. other developed countries, so rather than the employer raising the price of the items/services you are provided and paying higher wages to their employees, you pay a lower price and are expected to tip. Whereas in other countries, you'll pay more for the item/service but are not expected to leave a tip and the employees' hourly wages are higher. (At least in my experience in Europe and Australia).

08-21-2004: We met in Lund, Sweden. Basically been together ever since!

02-08-2009: We met up in Australia to be together during the K1 process.

04-25-2009: I-129F mailed to CSC

05-04-2009: I-129F delivered to CSC

05-13-2009: NOA1

05-14-2009: Check cashed

08-21-2009: NOA2 - Exactly 5 years from the day we first met!

08-24-2009: We returned to our respective countries.

09-01-2009: Packet 3 received

10-09-2009: Packet 3 sent

10-22-2009: Interview - Passed!

11-05-2009: Arrival! POE: Los Angeles, CA.

01-02-2010: Wedding in Santa Barbara, CA.

02-12-2010: Sent in AOS/EAD/AP

02-15-2010: Received by USCIS

02-19-2010: Check cashed

02-19-2010: NOA1

03-01-2010: Biometrics letter received (Appt: March 22)

03-02-2010: Walk-in biometrics - 4 hour wait but completed!

03-03-2010: Touched

03-19-2010: Interview appt letter received (notice date - March 16th)

04-20-2010: AOS Interview - Passed!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.