MarieAnastasia

Anybody else out there homesick??????????

53 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Is there anybody else as homesick as I am??!! I miss my Dad, daughters, and grandkids and friends so much that I'm sure there's got to be a physical crack in my heart!!! :crying: I love my husband to the ends of the earth and he feels so helpless.

This is a very small 'clickish' town (if you're an outsider, you're on your own!!) There is nowhere to go to meet people. They just had a 'town' day with parade and all and I was so excited about the day arriving that it was a big let down!!! My husband introduced me to people and all I got was a hello (and he's lived there all his life). The men before the wives showed up asked me general questions about my home and the immigration process, etc but once their spouses showed up it was like 'oops, can't talk to her!!' The only word that I can describe them is 'clickish' (for lack of a better word!!!)

I come from a very friendly enviroment. My husband's first visit there was the total opposite of what I endured!! I have a large circle of friends at home and my friends have jokingly called me a 'social butterfly' because I was involved so much and didn't have enough hours in the day....and here I have nobody but my husband (that's not a bad thing but he's at work a lot and it would be nice to have somebody to chat with!!)

I'm not asking for a lot just a genuine friendly face (not a 'smiling cobra')

Anybody else encounter this?? And believe me when I tell you there is nothing to do or nowhere to meet people. There is a general store here and that's 5 miles away!! I'd love to volunteer at something or better yet...work........ but right now 'even' if this was available to me, I can't because we don't have a second vehicle so I'm grounded!! This is a total culture shock for me and I'm ony an hour and a half from my beautiful country of CANADA!!!! (and I'm trying desperately to get Advance Parole so I can go home for a visit........I have an INFOPASS appt. on Monday). Wish me luck!!!

WWWWWWWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA :crying: I wanna go home and take my hubby with me.

Would love to hear some feedback. Thanks for listening to my belly aching :blush: ....{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}

“For it was not into my ear you whispered, but into my heart. It was not my lips you kissed, but my soul.” JMAC

June 25, 2004 - Bruce & I met through mutual friends in my hometown in Newfoundland the night before he was going back to Maine

July 1 - First email between us

July 3 - I called him to wish him a Happy Independance Day

Daily phone calls and emails from there on in

October 20 - Bruce drove back to Newfoundland. He planned on staying a week but it ended up being 3 weeks. We knew for a fact we were in love!

March 19/05 - Bruce back in Newfoundland

April 8 - Bruce picked me up in North Sydney, NS and we drove to Maine. I stayed for a week due to work

July 26 - Bruce back to Newfoundland for another 3 weeks. I can't bear to see him leave.

August 10 - He asked me to marry him.........I had already asked him anyway just to make sure*_*

September 30 - I flew to Boston to meet Bruce there and then we drove back to Maine for 2 weeks

November 18 - We filed I-129F

December 1 - NOA Receipt #

December 28 - Received Packet 3

January 6/06 - Received my Police Certificate of Conduct

January 11 - Sent DS-230 Part 1 back to Montreal Consulate

February 3 - Sent off my check list to Montreal Consulate

March 24 - Medical

April 5 - Interview Date.....APPROVED......Yahoo

April 17 - Moving to Maine

May 16 - Bruce & I became Mr. & Mrs. in Las Vegas (Oh HAPPY DAY)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi :)

I am sorry your feeling so lost and homesick, I totally understand though. I have been here almost 2 years and came from the city and was used to being a busy bee!!! I had lots of friends close by and a big family.

I adore John and it IS beautiful where we live and sometimes I feel bad when I say to him "it feels like I have come into a retirement home" :P

I was so NOT used to feeling alone and I hated having to rely on John for all my entertainment (well sort of hahaha) and I had times when I picked on him :blush:

I have settled in much better now, but I don't feel like I fit in here. I have a couple of friends met through John's friends at work,THE wifes!!! and they are nice. I just miss having things in common if you get me.

I kept myself very busy and redecorated the whole house and I have a little part time job, but I am still moaning hahahah

All I can say is that I understand :)

Posted 129f to VERMONT 4th March 2004.

Recieved first NOAL 8th March 2004.

NOA2 dated 23rd April 2004.

Recieved packet 3, 13th May 2004.

Hoping for an August Interview!

Court hearing for permission to take children 2nd August!

Interview Date August 5th!

Got visas,Yessssssssssss!

Fly out the 16th August to be with my lovely John.

Married October 30th, 2004!

Posted off AOS , and AP on the 13th November 2004.

Now more waitng begins............................

NOAs for 1-485,>,AP recieved 25th Nov,2004 dated 19th Nov,2004.

Biometrics/fingerprints appointment made for 22 December 2004.

AP approved on the 5th Jan 2005.

EAD approved on the 7th Jan 2005.

recieved on the 13th Jan 2005.

AP recieved on the 14th Jan 2005.

Passed driving test on the 2nd Feb,2005!

AOS interview date July 2005!

AOS Approved!!!!

April 25th 2007 Vermont recieve paperwork for I-751

Refiled June 26th

Card ordered Dec 18th 2007

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Well, I am the USC, so I haven't walked in your shoes. Just wanted to wish you luck in the transition and with your advance parole. The good news is you're from Canada - which is relatively easy to get to and you don't have to sell a kidney for the plane ticket. Good Luck and I really home the town folk warm up as you reach out to them.

AOS, EAD - 115 days from mailing AOS to conditional Green Card in Hand

06-07-08 - File to remove conditions

4/28/09 - Moved to CSC

06-20-09- Received 10 year Greencard

Citizenship

07-09-09 - Filed N-400

Joel 2:25 (Amplified Bible) And I will restore or replace for you the years that the locust has eaten--the hopping locust, the stripping locust, and the crawling locust, My great army which I sent among you.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Would this count as homesick? I came home, to the US after spending 2 months with my fiancé in India, and I want to go back. I loved it there. I didn't want to come home. Not only because of my fiancé, but because I wanted to be there instead of in the states.

Our Timeline:

05.18.2006-I-129F Petition sent to NSC

05.19.2006-I-129F Petition rec'd by NSC

06.02.2006-Rec'd NOA1

06.30.2006-Rec'd RFE

07.03.2006-Sent RFE to CSC

07.11.2006-RFE rec'd by CSC - Reply

09.11.2006-*APPROVED*

09.18.2006-Rec'd NOA2

09.29.2006-Sent I-129F pkg

10.04.2006-Rec'd I-129F pkg

10.06.2006-Embassy sent packet3

10.13.2006-Form DS-230 to New Delhi Embassy

10.26.2006-Rec'd initial packet3

11.08.2006-Rec'd police certificate

11.08.2006-Interview date thru email: DECEMBER 12, 2006 @ 8 AM

11.14.2006-Rec'd interview letter snail mail

11.18.2006-Medicals

11.22.2006-Rec'd medicals

12.01.2006-Packet4 to New Delhi Embassy

12.12.2006-Interview - Still need passport clearance & co-sponsor

12.20.2006-Sent co-sponsor info

01.03.2007-Rec'd papers & passport clearance

01.04.2007-Sent papers & passport to New Delhi Embassy - Rec'd

01.16.2007-Passport sent out

01.18.2007-Passport rec'd. No visa. Need more proof of relationship

01.24.2007-Sent more proof of relationship

02.03.2007-Rec'd proof

02.06.2007-Sent to New Delhi Embassy

03.07.2007-Rec'd passport. No visa

04.18.2007-CSC rec'd papers

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hi MarieA,

I am the USC but I lived for a year with my fiance in his city (Sao Paulo) which I really didn't like. I felt a bit like you do. Although people there were friendly, it was hard to make strong bonds with his friends or many other people because of the language barrier, and it was hard to see the friends I had made on my own too. I'm also the social butterfly type so I felt a bit lonely.

For me, the solution was to move back to the US, but I'm moving to New York in September so he can have the kind of busy life he likes (and I like, to be honest) so is there any chance your fiance would ever consider moving for you? To a nearby city?

Also, does he have children too? It must be so difficult to be away from your daughters! Is there any way he might ever consider Canada in the future?

Also, in the meantime, I know things will improve. Trust me, the social network of a cliquey small town can be penetrated, it just takes a bit longer than you might expect!

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Sorry to hear that you're feeling so homesick. I think it takes time to settle into such a major change in your life and I can see that it doesn;t help when people are not especially friendly. I had a similar experience some years ago on moving to Italy.

Maybe the locals need to get used to having you around, showing up at things and generally becoming a more familiar face. It's unfortunate and unfair that you may be the one who has to do most of the work but that may be a reality. They already have a social circle and may not feel that they need new friends. You do.

I'm sure things will get better, but I hope that you get AP soon so that you can take a break and spend some time where you feel more comfortable. When you come back you'll be in a stronger place to face these new challenges.

All the best

Alison (F)

April A friend told me that she thought my ideal man lived in Wyoming or Montana.

May 17 Did search on match.com. Found no-one in Wyoming. Only wrote to one person in Montana...his name was John. He replied two hours later.

Jun 26 Flew to Missoula to meet him & a weekend trip turned into a five week visit...

Many trips between US, Canada & Europe.

March 31 During a meeting in Vancouver, John proposed & I said YES!!!

Jun 2 Finally sent off our I-129F & a few days later we received NOA1. I am now officially an alien bride-to-be.

Aug 22 Email notification of NOA2.

Sep 12 Received letter to say application would be forwarded to US Embassy.

Nov 23 Returned packet 3 to Embassy

Nov 30 Medical

Jan 5 Got interview date

Feb 1 Interview. APPROVED!

Feb 2 Visa delivered.

Feb 7 Flight to Seattle.

Feb 8 Finally back home in Missoula, MT. I'm happy, John's happy & the cats are ecstatic - together again!

Apr 22 Wedding Day!

May 6 Sent AOS application

May 7 Honeymoon

May 23 NOA date for AOS, EAD & AP

Jun 12 Biometrics

Jun 15 RFE for AOS mailed

Jun 20 RFE received

Aug 16 RFE reply sent

Aug 31 AP approved!

Sep 5 EAD approved

Sep 8 AP received

Nov 13 Interview letter

Dec 14 Interview. Success!

Dec 26 Got green card!

Oct 08 I-751 to remove conditions sent to CSC

Oct 14 NOA

Nov 21 Biometrics

Jan 7 Approval notice

Jan 12 Received greencard

oooOOOooH i know exactly how your feeling..................I so miss being able to pop round to a friend for coffee & a chat!!, infact i miss EVERYTHING!!!

its slowly getting worse too, specialy since i wasnt able to take flowers for my sons birthday on the 24th june, i did buy him some here, i even wrot the card........

"Daniel a little flower lent,not given, to bud on earth & blossom in heaven"

" Love ya Fifty Quid"

it just didnt feel the same :(

to be honest all it would take right now for me to go back to England would be summat as small as the milkman/postman heck even the bloke from the corner shop, to say to me....."COME HOME,WE MISS YOU"!

funny thing is Mark has no idea, i didnt tell him, so when i'm "GRUMPY" he thinks it must be "That time of the month" typical man thing to say :unsure:

anyway i'll hangin here, things as they say.........can only get better! :thumbs: .here's hopeing :blush:

Amanda-England (Yorkshire)- Mark-USA(Michigan)

April/04/2005- Visa journey began!!

We did both K3 & CR1 visa's, got both!!- I returned to England for my CR1 interview after first arriving on a K3 visa!!

May/25th 2006- Green card arrives in the mail................YAY!!

19th June 2006 I Had to go to the Social Security Office to get my number, the DS-230 didnt work for me!!

26-June-2006- Social Security# arrived in the mail....YAY!!

Feb 2008 lift conditions <<<reminder to self!!<<<< went to England for a visit instead, no rush right, 90 days is a long time,LOL

Removing Conditions Begins

Mailed I-751 April 12th 2008

signed for @ NSC April 16th

NOA date April 16th

Conditional GC expired May 5th 2008

Biometrics Detroit May 10th 2008

10 year Green card ordered August 20th 2008

Citizenship any time from feb 2009

Filed: Timeline

Oh i am too!

This week is the week i would go to Quebec and do a sunday school camp. I've been doing it for like, ever. And this year i couldnt do it because of stupid immigration. I have been balling my eyes out since saturday. I loved the camp, and the kids, instead i am stuck sitting around here. This whole not being able to visit back home is a load of #######.

funny thing is Mark has no idea, i didnt tell him, so when i'm "GRUMPY" he thinks it must be "That time of the month" typical man thing to say :unsure:

why don't you share this with him?? maybe he can help during your 'grumpy' moments ...

line_bar_12d.gifline_bar_12d.gif

Music___Lennon___Imagine_by_jjjean6.png

Faith: not wanting to know what is true.~Nietzsche~

“The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is.”

~Winston Churchill~

text___just_be_animated_colour_by_j.gif

why don't you share this with him?? maybe he can help during your 'grumpy' moments ...

I did once....his reply was.."oh it'll be all right" :huh:.this was the first bout of home sickness, so dont share any more!! :hehe:

Edited by Euro

Amanda-England (Yorkshire)- Mark-USA(Michigan)

April/04/2005- Visa journey began!!

We did both K3 & CR1 visa's, got both!!- I returned to England for my CR1 interview after first arriving on a K3 visa!!

May/25th 2006- Green card arrives in the mail................YAY!!

19th June 2006 I Had to go to the Social Security Office to get my number, the DS-230 didnt work for me!!

26-June-2006- Social Security# arrived in the mail....YAY!!

Feb 2008 lift conditions <<<reminder to self!!<<<< went to England for a visit instead, no rush right, 90 days is a long time,LOL

Removing Conditions Begins

Mailed I-751 April 12th 2008

signed for @ NSC April 16th

NOA date April 16th

Conditional GC expired May 5th 2008

Biometrics Detroit May 10th 2008

10 year Green card ordered August 20th 2008

Citizenship any time from feb 2009

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Sorry your feeling this way.

All you can do is give it some time.

I have been here 13 months now, and things are better.

Once you can work and make some friends things will get better.

I sat at home everyday while I couldnt work, just wishing that I could meet a nice friend. I think all girls need to find a new friend when they move. I have been working now since the end of March and have made some really nice friends at my new job. One women I work with has become a really close friend to me. We talk at work everyday, and we go to her house on the weekends to swim, grill out and have drinks. It really has made a big difference in the way I feel about living here. So I know the feeling of not fitting in. Now things are great here, which I am so happy about.

So you just have to hang in there. Give yourself time to get the feel of your surroundings. Things will fall into place for you soon. Just remember how lonely you were when you were at home and your SO was in the USA. :( Good things come to those who wait. We all waited to be here with our SO, now its just a matter of time before you will feel like it is home.

HUGS................. (F)

PEGGY & ROGER

3dflagsdotcom_canad_2fawm.gif3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawm.gif

K-1/K-2 VISA'S APPROVED IN MONTREAL MAY 2, 2005

K-1/K-2 AOS APPROVED IN ATLANTA MAY 17, 2006

10 year GC Approved - APRIL 16th ,2009 - Peggy and Jonathan's......

Still waiting for our cards...Had to file I-90 as they sent them to the wrong address.

March 9th, 2010, Received GC that has been lost in the mail for 10 months. Still waiting for my son's that is lost as well.

Filed Waiver for my son's 10 year GC and it was approved. He finally received his GC after its been missing for 2 years.

Thanking God this is over for 10 years.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

i feel your pain... i'm going on over 2 1/2 years since seeing my hometown. Just remember every day brings you closer to the day that you get to visit them.

Barbara (Canada) & Dallas (USC)

AOS

Nov 13 2005 EAD & I-485 sent to Chicago Lockbox

Nov 22, 2005 EAD & I-485 NOA1

Dec 15, 2005 Biometrics for EAD & I-485

Dec 19, 2005 EAD & I-485 Touched

Jan 21, 2006 Rec'd I-485 Fingerprint Reschedule Notice (AHHH!!!)

Feb 10, 2006 Fingerprint App't

Feb 1, 2006 EAD Approved!!!!

Feb 11, 2006 Rec'd EAD card

Feb 13, 2006 Applied for SSN

Feb 17, 2006 Rec'd SSN

Feb 23, 2006 I-485 Transferred to CSC (AHHH!!)

Mar 02, 2006 I-485 Has been received at CSC

Mar 13, 2006 I-485 Touched

Mar 14, 2006 I-485 Touched

Apr 15 & 25 2006 emailed CSC for status inquiry on I-485

Apr 26 2006 received a response from CSC, another response in 60 days (ahhhhh!!!)

Apr 27, 2006 I-485 Touched

Jun 17, 2006 I-485 Touched

Jun 19, 2006 I-485 Touched

Jun 20, 2006 I-485 Touched

July 3, 2006 emailed CSC again, no response given in the allotted 60 days time frame.

July 27, 2006 received a response from CSC, another response will be given in 30 days.. ha ha ha.

***app sent back to Missouri ***app sent to Chicago

Aug 21 2006 touched

Sept 29 2006 3rd year Anniversay

October 13, 2006 Immigration Interview - Need to return with Long Form Birth Certificate

October 13, 2006 Long Form Birth Cert ordered with expediated shipping

October 18, 2006 Birth Cert Received

October 19, 2006 2nd Immigration Interview - APPROVED

5-20 business days for the Green Card to arrive, maybe I'll be back to see my family before Christmas?

... instead i am stuck sitting around here.

i think you need to reevaluate your priorities ... you came here to be with keith.

sometimes, i think many members lose sight of the reason that they moved to america ... it was the person that you couldn't live without. i relocated 3 years ago from everything and everyone i knew ... the more that you dwell of the negative, the more you are just going to drag yourself down ... mentally, emotionally and physically. why do that to yourself?

sorry that mark isn't more supportive for you, amanda! (F)

Lucky_Panties_by_major_dork.png

Music___Lennon___Imagine_by_jjjean6.png

Faith: not wanting to know what is true.~Nietzsche~

“The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is.”

~Winston Churchill~

text___just_be_animated_colour_by_j.gif

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Thanks, just reading comments helps alleviate the pressure. As least it's someone to vent to other than family and friends (who I don't want to upset by them knowing how desperate I am!) They were all worried that I might run into this wall.........and they do know to a certain extent!! I talk to them EVERY day (yes, we have the US to Canada package :hehe: ) But they really don't know how bad it is and how alone I feel!!! We live in the middle of nowhere on 38 acres.........I can't see a road, totally surrounded by trees (a complete circle). I told my husband that I feel like I'm camping all by myself which is pretty pathetic!! We will be getting a second car (in the process of looking) but for now I feel like a prisoner (and the term Advance Parole aptly applies :lol: ) I can't go for a walk (bears, coyotes etc) We're so far in the woods we have to come out to hunt!! ;)

I am totally dependent on my husband and I don't like that feeling. I've been divorced from my ex for almost 14 years, raised my kids myself (even when I was married!!) so it's really tough having to depend solely on another human being. And I don't like the thought that my dependency has been taken away (albeit temporairly but this is what I'm feeling at the moment!)

We are in our early 50's, yes, he has children.........one is away at college and the other lives with his mother (older teen) and we see him every weekend but just comes in, eats, goes out with his friends, sleeps in all day and repeat til he goes back to his mother. He has a brother and sister in law who live their own life...........I have even invited them to supper but they hang out solely with each other and have no regard or desire to have anybody else hang out with them (I could use a 'finger' symbol here :whistle:

Hubby has a good job here so we can't move. He would live in my hometown in a heartbeat. The people love him and I've drawn him into my wide circle of friends and friends (he is a shy man, therefore, the reason he doesn't hang out with anybody here)

My hubby does know how I feel because I have no body else to talk to and even though he feels helpless, he really can't imagine what I'm going through. He didn't sugar coat anything and he did warn me about the people around here and I can honestly I came in with both eyes open but I guess I thought it would be rectified by now. And I would be lying if I said that this wasn't affecting our marriage. I love this man with my heart and soul but I don't know if I can survive in this enviroment!! We've talked about moving back to Canada when he retires (but that's not for another 11 years!!!) I'll be a bitter old woman by then feeling the way I feel now. Bitching and complaing about anything and everything. I don't like who I've become. And there are days I don't know who this person is that's staring out of the mirror. And if I don't like me how do you think hubby feels!!

Summer in my hometown there is so much to do with festivals and people home for the holidays. I'm missing my high school reunion the end of July.......this is our 35th (yup I'm an oldie but a goodie :blush: ) and this is our 6th reunion we've had since high school....we started at the 10th and every 5 years we have one. We know 5 years in advance when the next one will be!!! As we speak, there's a party going on at my friends' mother's 80th birthday and I missed a big bash last night for a friend's 50th!! So I'm feeling pretty homesick for all these get togethers.

And in my hometown people have a sense of humour, but here if I crack a joke at the grocery store with the clerk he/she looks at me like I have 10 heads. Anywhere I go at home I know somebody. One of the girls I worked with at the bank said "If Joan don't know you, then you don't exist!!" :D Of course meaning there were few people I didn't know or at least knew somebody in their family.

Sorry for sounding like a raving lunatic but this helps just reading comments and typing my feelings. Thanks again for listening and please keep talking. I'm desperate for human contact without upsetting anybody (family/friends)......................{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}}}}}}

“For it was not into my ear you whispered, but into my heart. It was not my lips you kissed, but my soul.” JMAC

June 25, 2004 - Bruce & I met through mutual friends in my hometown in Newfoundland the night before he was going back to Maine

July 1 - First email between us

July 3 - I called him to wish him a Happy Independance Day

Daily phone calls and emails from there on in

October 20 - Bruce drove back to Newfoundland. He planned on staying a week but it ended up being 3 weeks. We knew for a fact we were in love!

March 19/05 - Bruce back in Newfoundland

April 8 - Bruce picked me up in North Sydney, NS and we drove to Maine. I stayed for a week due to work

July 26 - Bruce back to Newfoundland for another 3 weeks. I can't bear to see him leave.

August 10 - He asked me to marry him.........I had already asked him anyway just to make sure*_*

September 30 - I flew to Boston to meet Bruce there and then we drove back to Maine for 2 weeks

November 18 - We filed I-129F

December 1 - NOA Receipt #

December 28 - Received Packet 3

January 6/06 - Received my Police Certificate of Conduct

January 11 - Sent DS-230 Part 1 back to Montreal Consulate

February 3 - Sent off my check list to Montreal Consulate

March 24 - Medical

April 5 - Interview Date.....APPROVED......Yahoo

April 17 - Moving to Maine

May 16 - Bruce & I became Mr. & Mrs. in Las Vegas (Oh HAPPY DAY)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

... instead i am stuck sitting around here.

i think you need to reevaluate your priorities ... you came here to be with keith.

sometimes, i think many members lose sight of the reason that they moved to america ... it was the person that you couldn't live without. i relocated 3 years ago from everything and everyone i knew ... the more that you dwell of the negative, the more you are just going to drag yourself down ... mentally, emotionally and physically. why do that to yourself?

sorry that mark isn't more supportive for you, amanda! (F)

Lucky_Panties_by_major_dork.png

I have to agree with Gimy on this one. I know how it is to be homesick, i lived in Romania with my hubby for over a year, and it was hard not seeing family and friends. But the reason i was there was to be with Ed, and everytime i thought of home and peeps there and wanting to cry i felt guilty, because i made the choise to move there in the first place. Its ok to be homesick, but yes, remember why your having the emotions in the first place, and realise its all worth it.

As far as the Marie's words, girl, women in general can be that way to a new person (woman). Its a territorial thing i think. When a new female arrives, its all women who have been there forever tend to show their fangs and be b**chy! Dont worry they will come around, and well, its ok to stick your nose up a bit too. :) good luck, dont worry things will get better. Hugs, Tara

Edited by Ionescu

vj2.jpgvj.jpg

"VJ Timelines are only an estimate, they are not actual approval dates! They only reflect VJ members. VJ Timelines do not include the thousands of applicants who do not use VJ"

IF YOU ARE NEW TO THE SITE, PLEASE READ THE GUIDES BEFORE ASKING ALOT OF QUESTIONS. THE GUIDES ARE VERY HELPFUL AND WILL SAVE YOU ALOT OF TIME!