Peikko

Yay for Texas!!!

114 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
It is based on logic - the logic that derives from the driving premise, that all humans are born equal and free. Killing off weaker, sicker, older members demands that these people have been downgraded from having an equal right to existence to having no right to existence. There is no logical step that takes one from one thing to another.

Your premise says that all humans are *born* equal and free, it doesn't say that they have to remain

equal and free for the rest of their lives.

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
You mean, you can't find the bias in the basic premise? Or you can see it, but refuse to 'enlighten' us all?

I guess what he's saying is, where did this "basic premise" come from? Is it a product of

Western civilization? Is it universally accepted as something to strive for?

If there's a culture somewhere based on a different premise, who's to say that your system

is better than theirs?

How can an unbiased premise be a product of a civilization? That's a bit like saying Newton's laws of motion are a product of an English education. If it's biased, show where the bias lies. My contention is that there is no inherent bias in the idea that all people are born equal and free. It does not depend on any notion of culture or external decision making as to whether one is or is not included. If you can give me another premise to work with, again, worth the debate but if not what's the point of circling around again?

There seems to be lots of confusion as to how ethical positions can be influenced by external factors. They can't.

Our understanding of a premise is where bias is introduced- not in the premise itself.

I understand what you're saying. Maybe you can spell things out in simpler sentences for those that haven't taken a decent ethics course (and remembered the meaning of ethical precepts).

Wishing you ten-fold that which you wish upon all others.

Timeline
That's a bit like saying Newton's laws of motion are a product of an English education.

Ethics are the fundamental values that underlie all of these things.

Of course if you think that logic is a mutable concept that can be relativised, as I believe you have said elsewhere,my making this distinction isn't likely to make a difference.

But ethics is not based in logic. It would be "logical" to kill off the weaker, sicker, older,

members of society, but it wouldn't be "ethical."

It's not based in science either - science is about cold, hard facts and figures, whereas

ethics is about people's "feelings".

True. Ethical precept demands a line is drawn.

Logic is prone to construction by its practitioners. That's why we have clowns here in OT baiting 'to get a rise' and purposefully misinforming as if they were the standard bearers of truth and logic when they themselves become the target of a long list of laughter by people that can read and separate fact from bias.

You mean, you can't find the bias in the basic premise? Or you can see it, but refuse to 'enlighten' us all?

I guess what he's saying is, where did this "basic premise" come from? Is it a product of

Western civilization? Is it universally accepted as something to strive for?

If there's a culture somewhere based on a different premise, who's to say that your system

is better than theirs?

How can an unbiased premise be a product of a civilization? That's a bit like saying Newton's laws of motion are a product of an English education. If it's biased, show where the bias lies. My contention is that there is no inherent bias in the idea that all people are born equal and free. It does not depend on any notion of culture or external decision making as to whether one is or is not included. If you can give me another premise to work with, again, worth the debate but if not what's the point of circling around again?

Quit with the endless philosophy you embrace so firmly and start talking "meat and Potatoes".

Is taking my neighbors Bicycle unethical?

There are some cultures who believe the responsibility is on YOU to secure it..... the thief simply picked, low hanging fruit. YOU are wrong not him.

See MC, here is a prime example as to my previous reply to you.

It is based on logic - the logic that derives from the driving premise, that all humans are born equal and free. Killing off weaker, sicker, older members demands that these people have been downgraded from having an equal right to existence to having no right to existence. There is no logical step that takes one from one thing to another.

Your premise says that all humans are *born* equal and free, it doesn't say that they have to remain

That's where society's savage inequalities skew ethics according to prevailing biases and hierarchies.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Damn keep Dallas too then!

05/01/08 Green Card in mailbox!!

06/05/10 Real GREEN Card RECEIVED!

01/17/13 Sent application for US Citizenship!!!

01/19/13 Arrived to Arizona Lockbox

01/24/13 Notice of Action

01/25/13 Check cashed

01/28/13 NOA received by mail and biometrics letter mailed as per uscis.gov

02/14/13 Biometrics appointment

03/18/13 In-line for inteview

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
Let's just give Texas back to Mexico and be done with it.

sure and just give florida back to spain too.

:rofl:

Well TBO Florida was 'bought' while Texas... hmmmmmm...

was?

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Right, that's the primary premise from which other conclusions can logically be drawn. It also a condition that remains constant, the right to life does not diminish with time. Think of it as a fundamental 'law'. Why should the passage of time have an effect on the premise? I can't see a logical reason that would lead one to suppose that it does. Perhaps you can?

Edited by Madame Cleo

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

Timeline

was?

You're from Texas. Tell us. Wasn't exactly 'bought' fair and square right?

Timeline

Texas sucks!

and GOP Texas even more

'nuf said

Edited by TävôLuDô

01/25/13 Check cashed

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Right, that's the primary premise from which other conclusions can logically be drawn. It also a condition that remains constant, the right to life does not diminish with time. Think of it as a fundamental 'law'. Why should the passage of time have an effect on the premise? I can't see a logical reason that would lead one to suppose that it does. Perhaps you can?

Again, your premise only mentioned the rights at birth. If you want to make the right to life constant, you have to change the premise. :P

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

The point of adding the word 'born' free and equal is not to suggest that the passage of time can and should have an effect on the fundamental premise but to ensure that these rights are present at birth not extended at a later date. I am sure you understand that :)

If you will, the 'law' of existence would no longer be a law but would become a function of a condition - the passage of time.

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

Timeline

was?

so when are you going to give up any property you own and give it back to the native americans? :whistle:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

Timeline

was?

so when are you going to give up any property you own and give it back to the native americans? :whistle:

Property I own is on an island invaded and annexed by the same general that played a crucial role in the Indian Wars.

:whistle:

Timeline
:pop:

01/25/13 Check cashed

Timeline

was?

Property I own is on an island invaded and annexed by the same general that played a crucial role in the Indian Wars.

:whistle:

so how's them feelings of guilt? :whistle:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *