pokerman111

Does divorce have to be final to do k-1 visa

19 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi i was hoping someone could help me with a question i have. I am going to be divorced soon not sure exactly when we have been seperated long time. Im going to meet a girl in the philippines i believe i will file a k-1visa with. Does the divorce have to be final before i meet the girl in the philippines since at the interview in manila they will see when we met with passport and proof of relationship. Also when i get the final divorce papers is there any special documents i need to show the consular at the time of her interview.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Hi i was hoping someone could help me with a question i have. I am going to be divorced soon not sure exactly when we have been seperated long time. Im going to meet a girl in the philippines i believe i will file a k-1visa with. Does the divorce have to be final before i meet the girl in the philippines since at the interview in manila they will see when we met with passport and proof of relationship. Also when i get the final divorce papers is there any special documents i need to show the consular at the time of her interview.

you both must be free to marry when the petition is filed

You will be providing the USCIS a copy of your divorce document

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

Timeline

Legally, in what manner are you able to prove that you are legible to marry, which is a requirement for filing a petition of your foreign fiancee, when you have no proof of such? Hence, absolutely! You need to be legally free of marital encumbrance first. Your divorce decree is proof of that.

Mr. and Mrs. Jaime Ferdinand Espiritu

request the honor of your presence

at the marriage of their daughter

Angelie Helena

to

Gregory William Preston

Thursday, the Fifth of November

Two Thousand and Nine

at Six O'clock in the Evening

Preston Estate

Wetherington Drive, Cincinnati

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

You will need a copy of the divorce decree (and translation into English with certification) to submit along with the other paperwork.

So you can visit her beforehand but think about it, you may raise a red flag if your proof of having met was before her divorce was final (with the decree).

This might raise the question of both of your true intentions and the proof of a real relationship.

Probably best, considering the country and their Embassy's history, is to visit her again after the divorce is final and then begin the process.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

You need to know the date that you were divorced to complete the G-325a All items must be completed on all forms when you submit them. You will be required to have a certified copy or original decree when you go to the interview as well as it must be included with the I-129F.

So in a nutshell.. no final divorce decree.. no K1 filing.... while you wait for the final decree.. take a bunch of time and read through the guides and forums and ask questions... the better the initial packet is , the less chance of getting held up along the way.

"Every one of us bears within himself the possibilty of all passions, all destinies of life in all its forms. Nothing human is foreign to us" - Edward G. Robinson.

Filed: Country: Germany
Timeline

You will need a copy of the divorce decree (and translation into English with certification) to submit along with the other paperwork.

So you can visit her beforehand but think about it, you may raise a red flag if your proof of having met was before her divorce was final (with the decree).

This might raise the question of both of your true intentions and the proof of a real relationship.

Probably best, considering the country and their Embassy's history, is to visit her again after the divorce is final and then begin the process.

I think it's his divorce, not the Filipina's.

But yes, you need to be legally divorced and provide a copy of the divorce decree for the K1.

Done with USCIS until 12/28/2020!

penguinpasscanada.jpg

"What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty and democracy?" ~Gandhi

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Peru
Timeline

I think his question is does he have to be divorced at the time that he first meets his fiancee in person, which is different than at the time filing the I-129F or the time actually recieving the visa. You can meet your fiancee in person whenever you want as long as you are physically in her presence at least once within two years of you filing wth I-129F. Obviously you have to be divorced by the time you file the I-129F because in no state in the US does the law allow you to be married to two women at once.

Also, if you are planning on meeting this woman only once before you apply for the visa, and you plan on that meeting occuring while you are still married, I'd think that you should rethink your plans and go out of your way to establish a lot of evidence of a bonafide relationship. With all due respect, simply showing up to the interview with a passport stamp and saying "I met this woman once back when I was married" sounds like weak evidence.

Edited by Mike B.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline
I think his question is does he have to be divorced at the time that he first meets his fiancee in person, which is different than at the time filing the I-129F or the time actually recieving the visa. You can meet your fiancee in person whenever you want as long as you are physically in her presence at least once within two years of you filing wth I-129F. Obviously you have to be divorced by the time you file the I-129F because in no state in the US does the law allow you to be married to two women at once.

Also, if you are planning on meeting this woman only once before you apply for the visa, and you plan on that meeting occuring while you are still married, I'd think that you should rethink your plans and go out of your way to establish a lot of evidence of a bonafide relationship. With all due respect, simply showing up to the interview with a passport stamp and saying "I met this woman once back when I was married" sounds like weak evidence.

Good point Mike.. The statement "Im going to meet a girl in the philippines i believe i will file a k-1visa with." causes me to think this is very premature.. I think he needs to work on the relationship more before planning a K1... How many folks have we seen on here that jumped the gun and filed K1... there was 1 guy today that asked how can he withdraw his K1....

"Every one of us bears within himself the possibilty of all passions, all destinies of life in all its forms. Nothing human is foreign to us" - Edward G. Robinson.

USCIS/DOS aren't relationship counselors, so having met someone while you were still married (divorce still not final) isn't necessarily an issue - when/if you do file a petition you will of course need to be officially divorced at the time you complete the petition.

Edited by Otto und Karin

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Peru
Timeline

It doenst matter if your divorce is not final for you to meet her in the Philippines. Suggest your bring along the G325a forms and have them completed and signed by her while you are there. This will save you alot of time later. Also, document your visit with alot of photos. Keep copies of hotel receipts, airline tickets as evidence of meeting. If you have never been to the Philippines you are in for a great experience.

Timeline
It doenst matter if your divorce is not final for you to meet her in the Philippines. Suggest your bring along the G325a forms and have them completed and signed by her while you are there. This will save you alot of time later. Also, document your visit with alot of photos. Keep copies of hotel receipts, airline tickets as evidence of meeting. If you have never been to the Philippines you are in for a great experience.

Great advice.

Be sure to realize that 1 G325a form is 4 pages, they appear to be the same, however look at the bottom from and you'll see a slight difference. Have her sign a few of these - if she signs 3 forms, she signs 12 times.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

The divorce MUST be final and you must include a copy of the finalized divorce certificate in the I-129f petition filing. You cannot even BEGIN the process until the divorce is final and documented. Certainly you can meet the girl and "get engaged" but cannot file any petitions until you are divorced.

There MAY be a question or two asked of her at the interview if she knew you were not "officially" diovorced when she got involved with you. Usually nothing more than that (can depend on consulate)

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

What no one has mentioned here, is that your divorce decree be a "certified copy" from the courthouse where your divorce was filed. I know there are a lot of geniuses here, but they can't catch everything. Best of luck to you. :dance: :dance:

Sign-on-a-church-af.jpgLogic-af.jpgwwiao.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.