MARM

London not replying to emails?!

82 posts in this topic

Have you sent a letter in writing to the embassy, asking for a status update? They might not open it for a while but seems like they might get to that faster than an e-mail.

What a ridiculous process you've had :( so sorry...

Naturalization

N-400 package mailed: 04/16/2013

N-400 package delivered: 04/16/2013

NOA1 date: 04/17/2013

Biometrics: 08/23/2013

Interview: 10/07/2013

Oath: 01/23/2014

DONE!

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you sent a letter in writing to the embassy, asking for a status update? They might not open it for a while but seems like they might get to that faster than an e-mail.

What a ridiculous process you've had :( so sorry...

Thanks imaisha :star: ...this process is so maddening, it has the ability to squeeze out all common sense...I did not even think of sending snail mail to the embassy. Now that you mention it, I am off to do just this. I think me sending a letter as well as my fiance sending a separate letter should light a fire under their bums over at the embassy...we just need a clarification of what is going on for goodness sake!

Edited by MARM

Visa Journey completed, but we are still here to provide support! :)

I was going to suggest a letter too, as well as your emails and phonecalls.

I'm so sorry this is happening to you and your fiance, and I hope it finally is put to rest ASAP.

Anyone recently email the US Embassy in London and get a reply within a decent amount of time? :unsure:

We sent letters, contacted senators/congressman, have emailed and called, done everything possible, but no one has an answer for us. One of the senators wrote back within 2 days...but to ask for a USCIS receipt #?! :wacko: The Constituent Affairs officer thinks we have an issue with the USCIS service centers, which is CLEARLY not the case as I had explicitly faxed in a detailed letter explaining the situation with all supporting documents and I even called her office to confirm that they had received my fax, but she still is asking us for a more detailed explanation! I am still upset about this, which is the reason why I have not responded to the officer yet. How else can I make myself clear?!

The other senator and congressman still has not gotten back to me yet, same with London. DOS is worthless in terms of giving me any information as well.

The lack of information is so frustrating! :ranting: My fiance is in AP of course...but I hope that within the next week we at least get an inkling of information from London about this.

Edited by MARM

Oh my.

Call the constituent affairs person and try to explain the situation over the phone. I think they usually deal with cases stuck with USCIS so she might have seen right off the bat that you didn't include a USCIS case number and so she didn't even bother to go through the rest of the paperwork. I think they'll be better able to help you once you've explained the whoooole thing to them in a discussion.

Also call the office of the congressman and the other senator and ask if they've had a chance to review your papers yet as it's been over two months and even the Department of State has no idea what's going on. I think saying that part is important, the bit that's really wrong. It's not that they're doing something and can't tell you about it- they really have no idea what they're doing with it over there. Maybe stress the lack of passport thing. They really shouldn't be seizing passports and holding them hostage. Make sure to explain that usual procedure is once they've done all these checks THEN they ask for the passport. In your case they've asked for it and done nothing with it and now you're worried they've lost it or something... anything to get them to try and actually look at your file.

I really think they're your best bet at this point, aside from just waiting for the embassy to wake up, so don't be afraid to politely ask them to get moving on it!

Edited by imaisha

Naturalization

N-400 package mailed: 04/16/2013

N-400 package delivered: 04/16/2013

NOA1 date: 04/17/2013

Biometrics: 08/23/2013

Interview: 10/07/2013

Oath: 01/23/2014

DONE!

Update:-

I just got a call from the US Embassy in London (I am the USC). She was a CO, asked me a bunch of questions of our relationship, etc. In fact, she asked me questions VERY VERY similar to what they asked of my fiance at the time of his interview.

Yes, I am insulted in thinking that they are verifying our relationship and the facts, BUT I am happy that our case is not just sitting there and that they are actually WORKING on it.

Does this phone call mean we will get a decision ASAP? I asked the CO and she said that they will contact either of us if there are further questions otherwise they will pass the file on to (I don't remember) another department and then that person will make the decision.

What am I supposed to make of this? How much longer are we supposed we wait?

That's just ridiculous. I don't know how you're being so calm and patient... I don't know what to say except sorry you're having such an impossibly difficult time :(

Adjustment of Status from K-1 (Very abridged version)

05/20/08 - POE: Chicago O'Hare

07/18/08 - Married

08/30/08 - I-485/I-765 mailed...

03/17/09 - Card production ordered (no notification received!)

03/26/09 - Green card received (196 days)

Removal of Conditions

02/15/11 - I-751 mailed to VSC...

02/22/11 - NOA1 (received 03/03/11)

04/04/11 - Biometrics appt (notice received 03/19/11)

08/22/11 - * * * t u m b l e w e e d s * * * (T+6 months and counting)

09/20/11 - Service Request #1

10/26/11 - Service Request #2

11/29/11 - Interview @ Atlanta Field Office - Approved & I-551 stamped

12/07/11 - Card production ordered

12/10/11 - Green card received (293 days)

What boggles my mind is this:

We are of the same background: both Muslim, both of Pakistani background, he is older than me by a few years...nothing out of the ordinary there...we met online...so what? many couples meet online...

I have given up on thinking about how this whole process works.

We are just praying to God that he gets his visa in hand ASAP now. I am sure they are satisfied if they were trying to verify both sides of the story...unless they have something else up their sleeve to torture us further, who knows...

Edited by MARM

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Well this same thing happened to us in 2007, but unlike yours where they took a few weeks to call you; My fiancee was called the same day and they actually woke her up from sleep. Anyways, long and short of it is that our case was returned and has only been reaffirmed this june without the USCIS requesting further evidence, which means the reason for sending it back was in no way valid. We are both from the same African country but we didn't meet online, known each other over 11 years. I would probably think at this stage that they are questioning your relationship and what you'll be fighting is for the case not to be returned. All the best.

P:S

They told me I was approved though and kept my passport for about 2 months, only got it back when my fiancee came down and visited the embassy who then gave her a number for me to call.

Edited by Justchillin

Well this same thing happened to us in 2007, but unlike yours where they took a few weeks to call you; My fiancee was called the same day and they actually woke her up from sleep. Anyways, long and short of it is that our case was returned and has only been reaffirmed this june without the USCIS requesting further evidence, which means the reason for sending it back was in no way valid. We are both from the same African country but we didn't meet online, known each other over 11 years. I would probably think at this stage that they are questioning your relationship and what you'll be fighting is for the case not to be returned. All the best.

Oh dear, I am sorry that it happened this way. If it turns out that they do send his case back or deny him, then that will be the last straw. I will leave the USA then, to join him. It is a comfort that someone understand where I am coming from regarding the frustration and ridiculousness of this whole thing, but I cannot believe that they actually sent your case back and then reaffirmed it with the conclusion that it should not have been sent back in the first place. This system is blind to the fact that we are human beings, not import/export products.

I am sorry to hear about the problems you are having. They did say he was approved at your interview, right?

It does seem people from Pakistan have a much harder time with this process :(

Yes, at the time of the interview, the CO told him that he was approved pending his passport. We thought he would have had an easier time applying for a K-1 at the US Embassy in London, but turns out that's not the case. A Pakistani is a Pakistani regardless of where the interview takes place. And I think that fact in itself is enough for increased levels of scrutiny, i.e. torturous wait times and AP.

What I find interesting and weird is this: During the phone investigation, I was not asked anything about my fiance's immediate family. I was asked about my siblings and parents. As I said, I was asked the exact same questions my fiance was asked at the time of his K-1 interview in London. It seems to me as if I am the object of scrutiny. :huh:

Edited by MARM

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

This might not be the case with you though but it's good to cover all grounds and not make final arrangements. I think you do get more scrutiny from London when both parties have African or Asian origins(you can quote me on that). Just don't let it stress you, the only problem then was that we had our engagement planned in Africa and all our families had bought tickets which was why them holding my passport despite having sent the case back really ticked me off. Keep the faith, you'll be alright.

Edited by Justchillin

I am sorry to hear about the problems you are having. They did say he was approved at your interview, right?

It does seem people from Pakistan have a much harder time with this process :(

Yes, at the time of the interview, the CO told him that he was approved pending his passport. We thought he would have had an easier time applying for a K-1 at the US Embassy in London, but turns out that's not the case. A Pakistani is a Pakistani regardless of where the interview takes place. And I think that fact in itself is enough for increased levels of scrutiny, i.e. torturous wait times and AP.

What I find interesting and weird is this: During the phone investigation, I was not asked anything about my fiance's immediate family. I was asked about my siblings and parents. As I said, I was asked the exact same questions my fiance was asked at the time of his K-1 interview in London. It seems to me as if I am the object of scrutiny. :huh:

It seems like they are checking that your answers match up with his

90day.jpg

It seems like they are checking that your answers match up with his

Yes Trompe le Monde, you are correct.

DOS emailed a letter to my Congressman in response to my Congressional Inquiry, and it reads as follows:

"We checked the records of the U.S Consulate in London, and we found that the immigrant visa application of (last name), (first name) is currently undergoing administrative processing in order to verify his qualifications for the visa. Hence, the phone call I received. So this eliminates the possibility that he is in some type of security check. Administrative processing often lasts about 90 days, but in some instances, it can take several months or even years longer.

We realize that these extended time periods cause frustration to many individuals, and we are sensitive to the fact that the purpose of the immigrant visa program is to re-unite families It would help if you were actually SENSITIVE. Nonetheless, the U.S. Consulate in London, like all U.S. Embassies and Consulates, must adjudicate visas in accordance with the provisions of the law, and in some cases, this involves extensive administrative processing. While we cannot predict when the processing of Mr.(last name)'s visa will be completed, please be assured that the State Department, including the Consulate, is aware of his concern. Does this mean that a fire has been lighted under their bums to get a move on with issuing his visa? We hope so! We will do all we can to see that the visa is adjudicated as soon as his qualifications have been verified. Is it safe to assume then, that they are done with his security/name check and that they were just waiting on verifying his information...which they just did yesterday via phone call to me from the CO in London?

We hope that this information is helpful, and we regret that our response cannot be more substantive at this time."

So thanks to our congressman's office, we have an answer from DOS and we hope that now that our congressman is involved, the US Embassy hurries up with my fiance's visa.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.