Ayman and Yasmina

Affidavit of Support I-1864

15 posts in this topic

Im trying to fill out the affidavit of support for my husband.

Here is my situation. I am a housewife and we live in Cairo. I filed DCF here in Cairo and our I130 was approved and I just received packet three to fill out. We plan and moving back home. My mom owns her home free and clear it has 4 bedrooms however, she makes below the 22,000 poverty line. My brother lives with her and he is a police office. How many forms do I have to fill out? Should I have both my mom and brother fill out the form and for my brother to send his w'2 and my mom send the copy of the deed to her house? I don't have an income as hubby supports us here and has a well paying job. It also asks list all people immigrating with you. Does that mean my baby and me? But me and my baby both have American passports and are citizens. I just finished getting her passport...

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you

mom fills out I-864 and includes income and assets (her house)

brother fills out I-864A

you also need to complete a I-864 also, regardless of if you meet the requirements or not

DCF Timeline here

POE Timeline

08/24/2008 POE Seattle

08/29/2008 SSN assigned

09/08/2008 SSN (Card) received

09/29/2008 Green Card received

I-90 Timeline (USCIS error)

11/10/2008 Send I-90 to Texas service center

12/xx/2008 NOA1

01/07/2009 Card production ordered

01/14/2009 Card mailed

01/xx/2009 Card received

I-751 Timeline

06/02/2010 Send I-751 to California service center

06/04/2010 Received at CSC

06/07/2010 NOA1

06/09/2010 Check cashed

07/27/2010 Biometrics

07/28/2010 Touch

09/02/2010 Approved

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
Oh thank you!

Sorry I put it in the wrong place! Im still learning...

Does it have to be notarized or can my mom and brother just fax me a copy?

Hi,

When i asked the same questions before, to the embassy, and VJ, they told me that even if you dont make enough money, you MUST be the main sponsor for your husband. You have to fill out the forms and everything reguardless of your income. Then your mother will fill out another I-864 as your co-sponsor. And your brother will fill out the I-864a, as a member of your mothers household, so his income can be counted.

About the people immigrating with you. I assume it will just be your husband. You wouldnt count your daughter or yourself because you are both already USC.

I was wondering, when did the embassy approve your I-130, and how long did it take to recieve your packet 3? My husband and I are going to the embassy to send the I-130 on wednesday, so i was looking for a relative timeline. And a general idea of how it will go. Like what questions they will ask. What papers/documents will they need to see. We have everything im sure, but i just want to be 100 pct sure that im ready.

Thanks so much :) and Goodluck.

Consulate : Egypt

Visit Egypt : 2008-06-25

Marriage : 2008-10-13

I-130 Sent : 2009-07-15

Approved : 2009-07-15 Alhamdulilah

Packet 3 Received : 2009-07-21

Packet 3 Sent : 2009-08-04

Packet 4 Received : 2009-08-15

Interview Date : 2009-08-24 APPROVED with no AP

Visa Received : 2009-08-28

Entry into the USA : 2009-10-05 Insha Allah

Oh thank you!

Hi,

When i asked the same questions before, to the embassy, and VJ, they told me that even if you dont make enough money, you MUST be the main sponsor for your husband. You have to fill out the forms and everything reguardless of your income. Then your mother will fill out another I-864 as your co-sponsor. And your brother will fill out the I-864a, as a member of your mothers household, so his income can be counted.

About the people immigrating with you. I assume it will just be your husband. You wouldnt count your daughter or yourself because you are both already USC.

I was wondering, when did the embassy approve your I-130, and how long did it take to recieve your packet 3? My husband and I are going to the embassy to send the I-130 on wednesday, so i was looking for a relative timeline. And a general idea of how it will go. Like what questions they will ask. What papers/documents will they need to see. We have everything im sure, but i just want to be 100 pct sure that im ready.

Hi I called the Embassy after I completed everything they asked for the I-130 and the gave me and appointment two weeks later! I went on June 29 for my appointment. It wasnt bad at all..My best advice is be as early as you can we got there 6:15 and we have 7 people in front of us! We were done by 10. They will call you up and just take your marriage certificate and the translation and the petition. Then you go pay and sit down again till they call your number. You will then meet with the consular lady..She is real nice..Its basically an interview for you. She will ask how you met, how long you were married and if you plan to move back home. She asked if I had domicile in the states and any proof. I showed her my transcripts from college and my drivers license. She just glanced at them and that was all..She said your approved. Oh she saw our baby. Then she explained that we will get a packet to complete and to mail in. I got the packet in 9 days..Your husband has to be home to receive it they wouldn't give it to me thank god he was home.

Good luck!!

Oh bring everything else just incase she said its better to be prepared..oh and just the copy of your passport..just the two pages where your picture is..and his passport too..She didnt look at the pictures or anything..

Dont worry it will be fine and the people were real nice..

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Read the instructions for both the I-864 and the I-864A. That will tell you all the information that you must present.

If your brother is coming on as a joint sponsor then your mom doesn't need to fill in all the asset portion. They will be combining income to qualify.

With your I-864 you must include your US tax returns also, or a letter stating why you were not required to file for the past 3 year.

Mom and brother must send complete copies of their tax returns and all supporting documents (w2's, 1099's, etc). To make that a bit simpler they can get their tax transcripts for the last 3 years from the IRS for free. It takes a couple of weeks by mail, or the IRS can fax them usually the same day.

You and your child are not immigrating as you are US citizens. Only your husband is listed.

Edited by Anh map

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: Timeline

brother fills out I-864A

you also need to complete a I-864 also, regardless of if you meet the requirements or not

WRONG. You have to fill in a regular I-865 as the primary sponsor.

Mom fills out another I-864

Brother fills out I-864A if mom is using his income to qualify

:guides:

brother fills out I-864A

ERRR. I-865 is the Sponsor's Notice of Change of Address form.. why would she fill that out?

DCF Timeline here

POE Timeline

08/24/2008 POE Seattle

08/29/2008 SSN assigned

09/08/2008 SSN (Card) received

09/29/2008 Green Card received

I-90 Timeline (USCIS error)

11/10/2008 Send I-90 to Texas service center

12/xx/2008 NOA1

01/07/2009 Card production ordered

01/14/2009 Card mailed

01/xx/2009 Card received

I-751 Timeline

06/02/2010 Send I-751 to California service center

06/04/2010 Received at CSC

06/07/2010 NOA1

06/09/2010 Check cashed

07/27/2010 Biometrics

07/28/2010 Touch

09/02/2010 Approved

Filed: Other Country: Denmark
Timeline

Also, if your mother is using assets to qualify, the asset must total 5 times what is required under the poverty guidelines to qualify. Also, she must provide something showing she owns the house free and clear, as well as a recent appraisal to show the value of the house.

The above statements regarding the 864 are valid (ignore the comment about 865)

1. You must fill out an 864 EVEN IF YOU HAVE NO INCOME OR ASSETS. If you did not file tax returns, you provide a letter stating you are not required to file a tax return under the United States Code 26 because you had no taxable gross income.

2. Your mother will fill out an 864, provide tax returns or transcripts, and documentation to support the assets

3. Brother must fill out the 864A and provide tax returns or transcripts, and recent pay stubs to document income

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
Oh thank you!

Hi,

Hi I called the Embassy after I completed everything they asked for the I-130 and the gave me and appointment two weeks later! I went on June 29 for my appointment. It wasnt bad at all..My best advice is be as early as you can we got there 6:15 and we have 7 people in front of us! We were done by 10. They will call you up and just take your marriage certificate and the translation and the petition. Then you go pay and sit down again till they call your number. You will then meet with the consular lady..She is real nice..Its basically an interview for you. She will ask how you met, how long you were married and if you plan to move back home. She asked if I had domicile in the states and any proof. I showed her my transcripts from college and my drivers license. She just glanced at them and that was all..She said your approved. Oh she saw our baby. Then she explained that we will get a packet to complete and to mail in. I got the packet in 9 days..Your husband has to be home to receive it they wouldn't give it to me thank god he was home.

Good luck!!

Oh bring everything else just incase she said its better to be prepared..oh and just the copy of your passport..just the two pages where your picture is..and his passport too..She didnt look at the pictures or anything..

Dont worry it will be fine and the people were real nice..

Thanks so much. I get worried alot when i do this stuff. Im always scared ill do something wrong. You made me feel alot better. I think im 100 pct ready now :) Thanks

Consulate : Egypt

Visit Egypt : 2008-06-25

Marriage : 2008-10-13

I-130 Sent : 2009-07-15

Approved : 2009-07-15 Alhamdulilah

Packet 3 Received : 2009-07-21

Packet 3 Sent : 2009-08-04

Packet 4 Received : 2009-08-15

Interview Date : 2009-08-24 APPROVED with no AP

Visa Received : 2009-08-28

Entry into the USA : 2009-10-05 Insha Allah

Filed: Timeline

brother fills out I-864A

ERRR. I-865 is the Sponsor's Notice of Change of Address form.. why would she fill that out?

:o #######. Sorry about that --- I meant I-864 :blush:

Filed: Country: Iran
Timeline

I'm in a similar situation...living abroad with my husband, filing DCF, he supports me as well. I filled out the I-864, my parents are sponsoring me so my father filled out either the 864 or 864a and my mother filled out the 864a. I will ask which one my father filled out and get back to you. He's mailed it to me but it hasn't arrived. Hopefully, he included a copy of his passport or birth certificate. Does anyone know if the copy of his passport should be notarized?

Filed: Other Country: Denmark
Timeline
I'm in a similar situation...living abroad with my husband, filing DCF, he supports me as well. I filled out the I-864, my parents are sponsoring me so my father filled out either the 864 or 864a and my mother filled out the 864a. I will ask which one my father filled out and get back to you. He's mailed it to me but it hasn't arrived. Hopefully, he included a copy of his passport or birth certificate. Does anyone know if the copy of his passport should be notarized?

That mostly will depend on your consulate, but as always, its better to be safe than sorry! I would get a notarized copy to prevent any delays.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.