Hannita84

Anyone from Kentucky?

12 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Finland
Timeline

Hello!!

I'm moving to Kentucky at the end of august. Just wondering are there any others on this visa forum moving there? :) Also people that are already living in KY, I would appreciate if you can share some tips and hints on daily life there, such as what activities can you do there, where to find jobs and communities to join etc.

Thanks!

Our timeline:

Married 2008-01-02 in Helsinki!

I-130 sent 2008-05-14

I-130 NOA1 2008-05-18

I-130 APPROVED 2009-02-04

I-129F sent 2008-05-27

I-129F NOA1 2008-06-03

I-129F APPROVED 2009-02-04

Interview on May 5th APPROVED

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hi, am Brazilian and live near Louisville, KY. Are you going to live in Louisville?

I-129F

USCIS: California Service Center

Sent Envelop: 05/24

Arrived at USCIS: 05/27

NOA1: 05/28

Letter of NOA1: 06/02

NOA2: 08/22

Letter of NOA2: 08/29

NVC Letter: 09/02

Packet 3 Received:

Packet 3 Sent:

Interview: 11/25 (Approved!!!)

Timeline
Hi, am Brazilian and live near Louisville, KY. Are you going to live in Louisville?

No, I'm going to live in Lexington. But it's not too far a way from Louisville :) So how do you like Kentucky? For me it's not that big of a thing to move to this Bluegrass state, because I love the nature that Kentucky has. But getting use to driving everywhere will be a change. I come from a city, so I'm used to public transportation. But nevertheless, I can't wait this new journey to begin!

Our timeline:

I-130 sent 2008-05-14

I-130 NOA1 2008-05-18

I-129F sent 2008-05-27

I-129F NOA1 2008-06-03

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

I love Kentucky. I've been to Louisville four times and Lexington once, and driven across the whole state years ago.

One thing that you might find (my observation, confirmed by a native) is that some lifelong Kentuckians may "hold back" their thoughts and intelligence for a while until they're certain of you and of themselves in relation to you. This will usually be very subtle. If you notice it, avoid taking it personally; just treat them with respect and kindness, and they'll respond. I have found that Kentuckians like this make the very best long-term friends.

Lexington is a fine city -- just the right size, with everything that one might reasonably need in terms of amenities, culture, etc. Louisville would make a fine road trip. The entire state features wonderful scenery.

Do a Web search for the Lexington Convention & Visitors' Bureau (or similar), and you'll get ideas on what's around and how to acclimate yourself.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

• 2 weeks later...

Kentucky is great. I love it here. Im a city boy and yes you have to drive everywhere. Theres no trains or buses where I am at. Fishing is great here. If you like bourbon I reccomend visiting Buffalo Trace distillery. Meijers Supermarket has a international food section and theres World Market on the Shelbyville Road in Louisville.

Filed: Other Country: Egypt
Timeline

Hey there! I live in Louisville and I love it. It's a big enough city but not TOO big. Kentucky has lots of greenspace and beautiful things to see. Most people do NOT use public transit here. PM me if you have any specific questions and I'll be glad to help!

Betsy El Sum

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Uganda
Timeline

I moved to Lexington about 7 months ago. My husband has now been here for 4 months. I find lexington a little bit of a hard community to "break into". It is very much a college town. My office only has 2 people, so not much chance to meet people here.

There are some neat things to do though. When do you move here?

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
I moved to Lexington about 7 months ago. My husband has now been here for 4 months. I find lexington a little bit of a hard community to "break into". It is very much a college town. My office only has 2 people, so not much chance to meet people here.

Lexington is great, just the right size, and you will find it has a larger international contingent SA,IRE,UK,UR,FR due to the horse industry, state college, Lexmark, HP etc.Sorry no hockey, but they will wear you out w Basketball, and yes get used to driving everywhere: drive in liquor,fast food, dry cleaning(this is nuts!!) Southerners are polite and have similar expectations of common courtesies that I was accustomed to in Canada & France.You will find cost of living incredibly low compared to FI, but health care coverage is a nightmare, but healthcare per se very good quality.KY is beautiful, and I cant think of a nicer part of the US in which to make all the initial adjustments from FI.You dont say enough about your background to advise re a job search, try the university boards first.Welcome to the Bluegrass.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

I've lived in Louisville, Ky for 11 years now and I've really grown to love it. Like Betsy said..its a big city but not too big. Lexington is a very nice town also. Ive been there quite a few times.

I cant give you any advise on finding things to do there since im not all that familiar, but i have found that kentuckians are very welcoming,nice people for the most part.

I didnt realize how many lou and ky peeps we had here really :)

"you fondle my trigger then you blame my gun"

Timeline: 13 month long journey from filing to visa in hand

If you were lucky and got an approval and reunion with your loved one rather quickly; Please refrain from telling people who waited 6+ months just to get out of a service center to "chill out" or to "stop whining" It's insensitive,and unecessary. Once you walk a mile in their shoes you will understand and be heard.

Thanks!

Timeline

Lexington is great, just the right size, and you will find it has a larger international contingent SA,IRE,UK,UR,FR due to the horse industry, state college, Lexmark, HP etc.Sorry no hockey, but they will wear you out w Basketball, and yes get used to driving everywhere: drive in liquor,fast food, dry cleaning(this is nuts!!) Southerners are polite and have similar expectations of common courtesies that I was accustomed to in Canada & France.You will find cost of living incredibly low compared to FI, but health care coverage is a nightmare, but healthcare per se very good quality.KY is beautiful, and I cant think of a nicer part of the US in which to make all the initial adjustments from FI.You dont say enough about your background to advise re a job search, try the university boards first.Welcome to the Bluegrass.

Haha, well good thing I'm not too into ice hockey so it's not that big of a loss for me :) I agree KY is very beautiful place. I love it when there's nature around but still you get a feeling of a big city (Helsinki has only less than 600 000 inhabitants, so KY is very big city for me!). I have actually graduated from university and I'm Bachelor of Business and Administration. My major is corporate communication (if that says anything to you :) I'm little bit worried will my degree be valued in US when I'm applying jobs.. I have heard some foreign degrees aren't the same in US. I would like to continue my studies at some point, but right now MBA program is way too expensive! I have searched some jobs online, but haven't started applying yet. That university board was a good advice, thanks! I will try that.

Our timeline:

I-130 sent 2008-05-14

I-130 NOA1 2008-05-18

I-129F sent 2008-05-27

I-129F NOA1 2008-06-03

Timeline

Oh cool, want to tell me what are those neat things to do? :) I'm moving there on August 22nd, so only 3 weeks left!!

Our timeline:

I-130 sent 2008-05-14

I-130 NOA1 2008-05-18

I-129F sent 2008-05-27

I-129F NOA1 2008-06-03

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.