VanessaTony

Australian Beneficiaries - Packet 3 to Interview date

1,038 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
Alex & Astrid - Good to hear you've been making some progress with your immunisations... hopefully you'll get what you need :) The only reason mum knew where my book was, was because we moved 5 years ago and she found them all (inc my 3 siblings) completely randomly... I gotta admit i really thought they didn't exist anymore :P

mrsemcee - Thanks for that advice on the train stations. I'm so nervous 'cause I've never done public transport in Sydney... hopefully it's not too bad? Is it usually crowded? Is there a website that shows train times? Does it ever run late? or cancelled services? These are all questions I have so if you have answers that'd be awesome. I'll also google it.

Random Update

So, as you've read I got my medical results a while ago but when I received P4 I found out that I didn't get everything I was supposed to!

Not really that big of a deal, just was supposed to include a copy of my vaccination records which I'll need for the AOS so I called and the doctor is sending that along. Apologised for not sending it first but because my vaccinations were up to date they didn't think about it... apparently most times it's sent is because there are follow-ups needed, like say HPV which is multiple shots.. and stuff.

Also, this could sound stupid to some of you, but I just found out that my Green Card (GC) doesn't allow me to work... I need the EAD (Employment Authorisation Document) to do that... which is MORE paperwork but thankfully not more money if I send it in with the AOS paperwork.Here's some info on it if some of you don't know:

Definition - http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/...zation_Document

Form & Form Instructions - http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/men...00045f3d6a1RCRD

You'll see there's a fee of $340 but if you look in the special instructions it says "If you filed a Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, on July 30, 2007, or after, and you paid the I-485 application fee required, then no fee is required to file a request for employment authorization on Form I-765." and this is us :D

Good luck to you all.

Good Luck to you. I just read your post that you had been approved, way to go!

But, I did want to correct you on something.

Your GC (GREEN CARD) is an authority to work. Once it is issued the EAD becomes invalid. The purpose of the EAD, is to allow you to work while your GC is being processed.

Some times it is issued after the 2 yr green card, Stupid I know, but it all really depends on how quickly, and in which order your AOS apperwork is adjudicated.. Technically, if you really wanted to get involved in it all, You can work with a K1 visa, straight off the plane. The rules are a bit ambiguous, and a little hard to find, but it is allowed. and that is even when your SS card says "valid with work authorisation only".

The turn around for AOS seems to be pretty good of late. So I don't think you will have many problems.

Congrats!

Edited by jodee

"When a man is educated, an individual is educated; when a woman is educated, a family and a country are educated."

— Mahatma Gandhi

The timeline... (Frankfurt) for the kids visas

10/22/2007 Filed I-130 x 2 in person + paid 710 USD (355 each )

10/22/2007 Filed DS-230 part 1 x 2

10/22/2007 Received the document checklist and FRN (case) numbers

12/18/2007 I-130 petition approved, but I didn't know. I was away at the time, didn't get confirmation letters til I got back from the states.

12/20/2007 Notice of Approval arrives in tha mail. According to the date received stamp on back of envelope at my post box.

Will now wait til hubby is back from Iraq to fax in checklist readiness, even though, I have been ready since day of lodging I-130's. all except medical.

02/18/2008 Faxed the "checklist" back to the consulate.

02/25/2008 Medicals completed.

02/25/2008 Appt letters in mail for appt on March 7th. Cant go due to prior military commitments. Emailed consulate and received an amended appt date of March 12th 2008.

03/12/2008 Visa interview - APPROVED x 2

03/27/2008 Visa's finally generated. I emailed the consulate. they apologised for the delay. They forgot to issue the visas after approval.

03/31/2008 Received visas

04/26/2008 Flying out of Frankfurt to next duty station on orders.

Timeline
Good Luck to you. I just read your post that you had been approved, way to go!

But, I did want to correct you on something.

Your GC (GREEN CARD) is an authority to work. Once it is issued the EAD becomes invalid. The purpose of the EAD, is to allow you to work while your GC is being processed.

Some times it is issued after the 2 yr green card, Stupid I know, but it all really depends on how quickly, and in which order your AOS apperwork is adjudicated.. Technically, if you really wanted to get involved in it all, You can work with a K1 visa, straight off the plane. The rules are a bit ambiguous, and a little hard to find, but it is allowed. and that is even when your SS card says "valid with work authorisation only".

The turn around for AOS seems to be pretty good of late. So I don't think you will have many problems.

Congrats!

Ooo thanks. See i was REALLY confused. i thought it was REALLY strange that I needed more than one document so that makes me much happier :P So thanks :)

Thanks for the congrats too. Still waiting to have the visa sent, the tracking number doesn't show any action... and i know that I have time till my flight.. but I will feel SO much better once I have that visa sitting in my suitcase ready to go! lol.

I'm not sure about working straight off the plane... maybe... but when i arrive i have 6 weeks or something like that till my wedding, and in that time i need to finalise plans and move from TX to IA with my FH :) After that i need to unpack while he gets back to work, then there's the wedding and honeymoon :P It's good advice though and it's good that i can at least start looking and ask the jobs how they feel about it. I need my drivers licence there first i think so I can actually drive to a job... argh.. so much to do!! lol.

Grats!!! :D

After reading your day i think when i finally get to the interview stage, i'll get to Sydney the day before and stay the night near the consolate lol

Timeline
Grats!!! :D

After reading your day i think when i finally get to the interview stage, i'll get to Sydney the day before and stay the night near the consolate lol

LOL hindsight is 20/20 huh? lol. It definitely was the most stressful day I can remember... with a fantastic result of course :)

The Martin Place station is actually under MLC so coming out of the station you would follow it out to the MLC Centre and you're there :) Well.. you still need to go through the shops and cafe's and stuff, but anywhere near the line that the Martin Place station is on would be a good hotel. http://www.cityrail.info/ if you wanna see the map and how long it takes. I don't know how expensive hotels are right near the MLC Centre but right near any on that line would be good too :D

/sigh... if I knew then what I know now :P

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Huge congrats guys!!!

Sorry it's taken me so long to reply but yes, I got my gp to refer me for a complete blood test, I took in the list I needed for immigration and yes, I'm getting all the needles ahead of time, because hep A & B are done in three lots and others which I need.

I'm lucky my gp is familiar with immigration shots, so that helps.

Also, I'd reccomend the police check being done asap koz I rang querying mine from early august and it still hasn't been sent!!!!

Vanessa and Tony, once again many congrats!!!!

Huge congrats guys!!!

Sorry it's taken me so long to reply but yes, I got my gp to refer me for a complete blood test, I took in the list I needed for immigration and yes, I'm getting all the needles ahead of time, because hep A & B are done in three lots and others which I need.

Also, I'd reccomend the police check being done asap koz I rang querying mine from early august and it still hasn't been sent!!!!

Hi,

So you need Hep A & B? I thought you would only need those if under 18yrs for B and under 6 for A?

I am a little worried as I can not find my records for all these, I know I will need a tetnis booster but the rest is age dependent I thought.

Jason

April 1, 2010 - AOS, EAD, AP package sent

April 7, 2010 - Package received

April 14, 2010 - NOA's for AOS, EAD and AP

May 27, 2010 - Biometrics Taken

June 17, 2010 - Interview letter received

July 23, 2010 - Interview date

July 23, 2010 - approved

May 17, 2012 - I751 filed

Immunization Requirements

is where I found some info on it is all

April 1, 2010 - AOS, EAD, AP package sent

April 7, 2010 - Package received

April 14, 2010 - NOA's for AOS, EAD and AP

May 27, 2010 - Biometrics Taken

June 17, 2010 - Interview letter received

July 23, 2010 - Interview date

July 23, 2010 - approved

May 17, 2012 - I751 filed

Timeline
Huge congrats guys!!!

Thanks for the congrats :)

I did not, and have not, had Hep A or B. They are marked on my form as "Excluded by age" or something like that. Basically I don't need to have it and as I just got approved.. it's obviously not an issue :) So... I would NOT have immunisations now. I did need dyptheria, and pertussis, he asked about chicken pox (which I had as a kid), and I had tetanus too. I would think Measles, Mumps and Ruebella (MMR) would be needed... but I don't know for sure 'cause I had them and he never said anything about it.

Also, even if you need three injections, you don't need to have all three before you leave. You can continue with them when you arrive in the States.

The immunisation list is the list of "recommended" immunisations but it doesn't mean that you need all of them. Obviously guys don't have the HPV one. It's just a list and the doc decides which are appropriate for you. I would wait and save the money.

I agree about the police check. I was told 10 days, it took 15 (business days that is) and I was not impressed. Even had my medical after sending the police check docs off and got the medical results first!

I'm super super excited! It's only 10 days till I leave and it's looking more and more like I'm gunna need another suitcase and pay the extra case fee :S Gunna call my friend at the airline and ask her how much I'm looking at... /sigh. Oh well right? Least I'm gunna be with my love... and WITH my vegemite :P

How is everyone else going?

so just a couple of suitcases is all your taking or you're shipping stuff too? i'm looking at costs of shipping stuff at the moment to the US, its not cheap lol

So they will accept a police check dated befor the NOA2? thats what i'm worried at, is paying for it and having to do it again as it was "out of date" I know the medical is ok to do early as its valid for a year, but hold off on that a bit longer as i know i need to use it again once there for the next round of paper work ><

hmmm how much vegemite are you taking? atm i have 2 700g jars ready, but was wondering about the catering pack lol

Talking to a freind who ships vegemite to her BF in the states that if you get someone to post you some, get them to post the tubes as the glass jars weigh to much and its more cost effective to send the tubes :)

so just a couple of suitcases is all your taking or you're shipping stuff too? i'm looking at costs of shipping stuff at the moment to the US, its not cheap lol

So they will accept a police check dated befor the NOA2? thats what i'm worried at, is paying for it and having to do it again as it was "out of date" I know the medical is ok to do early as its valid for a year, but hold off on that a bit longer as i know i need to use it again once there for the next round of paper work ><

hmmm how much vegemite are you taking? atm i have 2 700g jars ready, but was wondering about the catering pack lol

Talking to a freind who ships vegemite to her BF in the states that if you get someone to post you some, get them to post the tubes as the glass jars weigh to much and its more cost effective to send the tubes :)

the police check is valid for 12 months, so im told, so unless something awful occurs, you should be fine :)

as for the vaccines.. yeah, i knew i didnt need hep A & B afterwards.. but still got the first injection of them both anyway, and a flu injection. i will need tetanus and the chicken pox thing, koz i never had chicken pox as a child.. but i will wait til i see the panel doctor now.

i am hanging out for NOA2 so bad right now.. aaah.

you guys make it easier, knowing what you have gone through and are at the end of it all :)

p.s. i know i have totally confused a whole lot of people too, but basically i THOUGHT i needed all vaccines on the list, started getting some, and then found out from the lovely folks here, i didnt need them all, so i just have stopped doing that... have my vaccine history, now that ive done the blood test.. and i am leaving the rest to the panel doctor in case i need any more.

i got all paranoid and thought i needed all vaccines on the list.. and silly me was going to get them all, but luckily people on here told me otherwise.

sooooo take my advice and wait to see your panel doctor :D

Timeline

The police check being dated before (as said above) does not matter so I would go ahead and get it maybe 2 months after your NOA1 date. Should work out pretty close :)

I looked into shipping stuff but only through Auspost and that's $160 for airmail for 5kgs... and for ship (so 3 months) it's $100 for 5kgs.. SOOOoooo not worth it :P

Luckily I don't really need a lot of stuff so i'm sticking with the two 50lbs suitcases that United Airlines allows me. My wedding dress and laptop are coming on board with me :P as is my Nintendo DS (for fun :D). i'm also gunna try and put some of the "heavier" items like a book in my dress case. I have scales at home *luckily* that will weigh my case. Just my food is 10kgs :P Lucky I have 2 cases at 23kgs :P hehehe and i'll be buying some items when I get there. Like a hairdryer and some makeup (like tinted moisturister) and shampoo and stuff :D What about you guys? What can you not live without taking? My mum is fixing my crochet blanket to take with me.

I have to of the ones that are just under the biggest. They're on sale at the moment for $5 at Safeway. I also grabbed lots of lollies and chocies for people to try AND I'll be stashing some :P

Thanks for the advice on the tubes though :P

p.s. i know i have totally confused a whole lot of people too, but basically i THOUGHT i needed all vaccines on the list, started getting some, and then found out from the lovely folks here, i didnt need them all, so i just have stopped doing that... have my vaccine history, now that ive done the blood test.. and i am leaving the rest to the panel doctor in case i need any more.

i got all paranoid and thought i needed all vaccines on the list.. and silly me was going to get them all, but luckily people on here told me otherwise.

sooooo take my advice and wait to see your panel doctor :D

That's good to hear! At least we stopped you before it got too expensive. More wedding and spending money now.

Quick question, what sort of wedding are you guys having? Quick courthouse and then big one? Or a bigish one or what? Our wedding is close family and friends. My sister and her hubby are flying over but my parents can't make it. My FH did NOT want a quickie wedding first. He wants it done right :D

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Thanks for the advise :) first time i have seen that the police check was valid for 12 months :)

Quiet quick wedding, I still want something nice and romantic :) then a bigger get together around May/June when the weather is nicer and better chance of people being able to make it :)

food wise, mainly vegemite and tim tams, but with the latter, we can soon buy them off the shelves in the states for atleast 6 months of the year :D

http://www.ilovetimtamcookies.com/

Edited by Warren and Cindy

Timeline

-- TO DO BEFORE MY FLIGHT :D :D :D --

My to-do list right now is just packing and sorting stuff i have stored at my parents house. I think i will probably ship stuff later, or take it with me on visits, but I don't wanna tell mum just yet that we're planning on settling there... she's already crying every time I mention my flight, or a countdown or her dropping me off at the airport. We're arriving 3 hours early (just in case there's a long line) and she and my brother (probably him too.. I'll convince him) will hang out at the airport. Looking around and stuff. Watching the plane leave probably. We'll park in long term parking so she can do that. $30 for the day. Not too bad :) Better than $4 for 20 mins in short term parking.

I'm picking my dress up from the alterations lady on friday. I have my veil and shoes already packed. Just sorting across my suitcases to make sure it all fits at this stage :P

What's everyone else up to?

Thanks for the advise :) first time i have seen that the police check was valid for 12 months :)

Quiet quick wedding, I still want something nice and romantic :) then a bigger get together around May/June when the weather is nicer and better chance of people being able to make it :)

food wise, mainly vegemite and tim tams, but with the latter, we can soon buy them off the shelves in the states for atleast 6 months of the year :D

http://www.ilovetimtamcookies.com/

Ahh yes I'm bringin Tim Tams for them to try. Including normal AND the honeycomb ones.. yummmmmm

Hey guys!!! I got NOA2 today!!!!

Argggghhhh!!!!

So excited!!!!

We are already married so filing CR1 but Vanessa, this thread has been oh so helpful, so thank you!

My mum is like yours, she knows I'm going to settle there though, but I'm trying to convince her to visit lots ;)

How many suitcases can we take on a plane?

I'm wondering if I can take three big ones and pay extra for taking over two?

Xx

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.