VanessaTony

Australian Beneficiaries - Packet 3 to Interview date

1,038 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

-- Fee update --

I went to Australia Post today to ask whether they accept payment in USD... they dont :( so I went to the ANZ bank to try and have the money put in my account. I was told the exchange charge was $15!!! I decided against cashing it there when I can do it at a travelex so much cheaper, so I'll get some cash at the airport :)

I went back to Australia Post to ask them about the US Non-Immigrant Visa Fee (function 828 I believe... something like that), and I was told I needed to tell them the amount I needed to pay. Typically, I didn't take that info with me and had to call my mum to check (lol) so I said $170.30 and yay! I also bought my 3kg envelope. Note about that, you need to pay for the visa and the envelope (or satchel rather) separately. This is because you need the visa receipt for your interview and there can't be anything else on it. The Post Office won't allow you to buy them together... it's not a big deal but i thought I'd mention it. The envelope was $12.00 (just under).

I have a folder that has all my visa stuff in it (everything I have previously submitted) and I will be taking it with me to my interview, just in case. I didn't photocopy my fiance's I-134 though. Probably should have but I know he has a digital copy so I should get that before my interview.

Hope everyone's cases are progressing well :)

Hugs,

V* :)

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
-- Fee update --

I went to Australia Post today to ask whether they accept payment in USD... they dont :( so I went to the ANZ bank to try and have the money put in my account. I was told the exchange charge was $15!!! I decided against cashing it there when I can do it at a travelex so much cheaper, so I'll get some cash at the airport :)

I went back to Australia Post to ask them about the US Non-Immigrant Visa Fee (function 828 I believe... something like that), and I was told I needed to tell them the amount I needed to pay. Typically, I didn't take that info with me and had to call my mum to check (lol) so I said $170.30 and yay! I also bought my 3kg envelope. Note about that, you need to pay for the visa and the envelope (or satchel rather) separately. This is because you need the visa receipt for your interview and there can't be anything else on it. The Post Office won't allow you to buy them together... it's not a big deal but i thought I'd mention it. The envelope was $12.00 (just under).

I have a folder that has all my visa stuff in it (everything I have previously submitted) and I will be taking it with me to my interview, just in case. I didn't photocopy my fiance's I-134 though. Probably should have but I know he has a digital copy so I should get that before my interview.

Hope everyone's cases are progressing well :)

Hugs,

V* :)

--------------

I just wanted to thank you for all this information and description of everything. I just received noa2 yesterday and am sending this link to my fiance in Sydney so that he will have a better idea of what to expect than just the k1 guide info. Helps me too in that I know what he will be going through and what paperwork he'll need and when..

Good luck at the interview!

:thumbs:

Sera

Timeline
I just wanted to thank you for all this information and description of everything. I just received noa2 yesterday and am sending this link to my fiance in Sydney so that he will have a better idea of what to expect than just the k1 guide info. Helps me too in that I know what he will be going through and what paperwork he'll need and when..

Good luck at the interview!

:thumbs:

Sera

No problem! Most advice I can give at the NOA2 is for your fiance to book his police check and medical appointment now (makes it faster later) and while he's doing this, have your banks start their letters, it can take a while to get those. It's going to go so fast for you now. it's fantastic.

Thanks for the good wishes for the interview. I'm very excited and so nervous at the same time! Please don't hesitate to let me know if you or your fiance have any questions :) At the very least he doesn't need to travel far for his interview :D

Timeline

Hey girls, these questions are aimed at Donna and Vanessa :)

Vanessa, when you mailed your Packet 3 stuff back to Sydney did you send your original Birth Cert in, or a certified copy? Also, you just send the immigration forms they ask for, plus your police check and medical results, right? Not all your relationship proof too? And then for your interview, you bring copies of every form you had to submit, so they have the originals but you have your own too, plus a copy of your original petition? Lastly, your Fiance sent you the Affidavit of Support, did Sydney ask for an additional affidavit in regards to Social Security? Or they just want the Support affidavit, and that's all?

Donna, I saw in your timeline that you had a blood test to see what your immunity was...This was to get ahead on any jabs with a normal GP before your medical with a Panel Doctor? Could you tell me anything else about it?

Sorry to pepper you both with questions, but I am due to be dealing with the consulate toward the end of the year and want to head in there prepared. Also, you are both Victorian girls, and so am I...until my family moved to Brisvegas and I had to follow once I moved back from the US ;)

Married February 20, 2010

Permanent Resident April 22, 2010

Naturalized Citizen January 14, 2014

Proud Dual Citizen of Australia and the USA!

Timeline

Vanessa, when you mailed your Packet 3 stuff back to Sydney did you send your original Birth Cert in, or a certified copy? Also, you just send the immigration forms they ask for, plus your police check and medical results, right? Not all your relationship proof too? And then for your interview, you bring copies of every form you had to submit, so they have the originals but you have your own too, plus a copy of your original petition? Lastly, your Fiance sent you the Affidavit of Support, did Sydney ask for an additional affidavit in regards to Social Security? Or they just want the Support affidavit, and that's all?

Donna, I saw in your timeline that you had a blood test to see what your immunity was...This was to get ahead on any jabs with a normal GP before your medical with a Panel Doctor? Could you tell me anything else about it?

Sorry to pepper you both with questions, but I am due to be dealing with the consulate toward the end of the year and want to head in there prepared. Also, you are both Victorian girls, and so am I...until my family moved to Brisvegas and I had to follow once I moved back from the US ;)

When you get packet three, they link you to this page, http://canberra.usembassy.gov/consular/visas/iv/fiance.html, which in turn leads you to this document: http://canberra.usembassy.gov/consular/visas/iv/DSL-1076.pdf which has a checklist (page 7) for what documents you need. You must submit original documents where possible, but they will ask you to bring your original to the interview (someone told me this) if you don't submit the original. Personally if you have the originals I would send them so it doesn't slow you down. You will get your originals back at the interview.

Your relationship proof is for the interview and I personally will be taking a copy of everything I have previously submitted. You don't need to have a copy of everything, that I'm aware of, but I think it's always a good idea. I have a copy of every form and document I or my fiance have submitted, because I don't want them to show me something that I'm not familiar with (like my fiance's Affidavit) and be like "ummm" and also if they ask me qns, I can look at my copy of whatever form rather than passing it back and forth, which I'm not sure they'd do... Just an insurance policy I think...

The Affidavit of Support is also mentioned in the first link I listed above. He had to provide a letter from all of his banks stating when the accounts were opened, deposits for the last year, and current balance, he also needed a letter from his work saying his position, when he started, how much he gets paid, and whether he's permanent, full time, part-time etc.

Most of the info you need for P3 is contained in the first link. I made a previous post called "Packet Three" which should help you with this. If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask. P4 is simply the interview date AND a checklist of documents you may have forgotten, or need to bring now.

Though you didn't ask me, I will mention in terms of vaccination, that you shouldn't have any injections prior to your medical appointment. The doctor will tell you which vaccinations are pertinent to you. I didn't need to have all of them, the doctor looked at my records (which I got from the city council... yours should be there too) and told me which ones I needed and then gave me then there and then :D

Good luck and hope this helps!

Timeline

When you get packet three, they link you to this page, http://canberra.usembassy.gov/consular/visas/iv/fiance.html, which in turn leads you to this document: http://canberra.usembassy.gov/consular/visas/iv/DSL-1076.pdf which has a checklist (page 7) for what documents you need. You must submit original documents where possible, but they will ask you to bring your original to the interview (someone told me this) if you don't submit the original. Personally if you have the originals I would send them so it doesn't slow you down. You will get your originals back at the interview.

Your relationship proof is for the interview and I personally will be taking a copy of everything I have previously submitted. You don't need to have a copy of everything, that I'm aware of, but I think it's always a good idea. I have a copy of every form and document I or my fiance have submitted, because I don't want them to show me something that I'm not familiar with (like my fiance's Affidavit) and be like "ummm" and also if they ask me qns, I can look at my copy of whatever form rather than passing it back and forth, which I'm not sure they'd do... Just an insurance policy I think...

The Affidavit of Support is also mentioned in the first link I listed above. He had to provide a letter from all of his banks stating when the accounts were opened, deposits for the last year, and current balance, he also needed a letter from his work saying his position, when he started, how much he gets paid, and whether he's permanent, full time, part-time etc.

Most of the info you need for P3 is contained in the first link. I made a previous post called "Packet Three" which should help you with this. If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask. P4 is simply the interview date AND a checklist of documents you may have forgotten, or need to bring now.

Though you didn't ask me, I will mention in terms of vaccination, that you shouldn't have any injections prior to your medical appointment. The doctor will tell you which vaccinations are pertinent to you. I didn't need to have all of them, the doctor looked at my records (which I got from the city council... yours should be there too) and told me which ones I needed and then gave me then there and then :D

Good luck and hope this helps!

Thanks Vanessa, thats was very helpful! I had read on this site that Sydney required addition stuff to go with the Affidavit, but that info must be old if you weren't asked for it.

The great you could get your vaccination records from your city council....I won't be able to do that though, I don't think. I have lived in three states and about seven different towns so my records are not in one place. I have looked at the shots list though, and I am fairly certain that I have had all of them, or won't need a few because I have already had things like chicken pox. And I am fairly sure my mum has my childhood records to show I at least got most of them. I am going to my GP next week to get my second HPV jab so I may ask her what I can do to show proof of what I have had.

One last thing...could you claim any of your medical on Medicare?

Timeline
Thanks Vanessa, thats was very helpful! I had read on this site that Sydney required addition stuff to go with the Affidavit, but that info must be old if you weren't asked for it.

The great you could get your vaccination records from your city council....I won't be able to do that though, I don't think. I have lived in three states and about seven different towns so my records are not in one place. I have looked at the shots list though, and I am fairly certain that I have had all of them, or won't need a few because I have already had things like chicken pox. And I am fairly sure my mum has my childhood records to show I at least got most of them. I am going to my GP next week to get my second HPV jab so I may ask her what I can do to show proof of what I have had.

Medicare? None at all /sigh. Because it was done at their specific doctors they don't allow any of that. Which is a total shame but oh well.

As for the city council having your records, you'd be surprised! My mum told me that the childhood vaccination initiative was run by the government, which is why the City Councils would have the records. I called mine and they had a copy of my baby book (the Dr read off the actual baby book, not the certified copy), and also the updates that I had done at high school (very handy!). If you have the names of the places you lived in, it definitely can't hurt to call and ask. At the very least if your mum has your baby book, or you call the town you were born in. I only got immunisations up to about year 8 i think so that should help narrow down some schools :D

It's difficult to get up to date visa information which is why i started this post because i hate being uninformed (just like how you're feeling). When you get your second HPV jab I would ask her to print out the immunisation record for you. You MIGHT get your visa medical appt before you last HPV, and at least that's one less thing to chase. Also, with the chicken pox, my mum had written the date I had chicken pox so I think he appreciated that, so if you can get a dr's record saying when you had it, that should help too.

Good luck. It's good fun getting all this together, but once you get NOA2 be ready to go because it goes pretty quick from there if you have all the documents :)

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Thanks for such a comprehensive post on your experiences this will help me and my fiancé a lot as we travel this road.

Regards

Jason

April 1, 2010 - AOS, EAD, AP package sent

April 7, 2010 - Package received

April 14, 2010 - NOA's for AOS, EAD and AP

May 27, 2010 - Biometrics Taken

June 17, 2010 - Interview letter received

July 23, 2010 - Interview date

July 23, 2010 - approved

May 17, 2012 - I751 filed

Timeline

Medicare? None at all /sigh. Because it was done at their specific doctors they don't allow any of that. Which is a total shame but oh well.

As for the city council having your records, you'd be surprised! My mum told me that the childhood vaccination initiative was run by the government, which is why the City Councils would have the records. I called mine and they had a copy of my baby book (the Dr read off the actual baby book, not the certified copy), and also the updates that I had done at high school (very handy!). If you have the names of the places you lived in, it definitely can't hurt to call and ask. At the very least if your mum has your baby book, or you call the town you were born in. I only got immunisations up to about year 8 i think so that should help narrow down some schools :D

It's difficult to get up to date visa information which is why i started this post because i hate being uninformed (just like how you're feeling). When you get your second HPV jab I would ask her to print out the immunisation record for you. You MIGHT get your visa medical appt before you last HPV, and at least that's one less thing to chase. Also, with the chicken pox, my mum had written the date I had chicken pox so I think he appreciated that, so if you can get a dr's record saying when you had it, that should help too.

Good luck. It's good fun getting all this together, but once you get NOA2 be ready to go because it goes pretty quick from there if you have all the documents :)

Hmmm...well I did live in one town for a good 9 years of my childhood, and then I only went to one high school. I will give them a ring to see if they can send me any vacc. records. And I do have my baby book/childhood health book, which has all the ones from infancy. Maybe it won't be so hard after all. And I will ask my Dr. to write up proof of my 2 our of 3 HPV jabs. Thanks Vanessa!

good luck for your interview!

i used to live in sydney (now in melb) for a while and i worked right near the MLC centre. the train station closest is probably central or wynyard... :)

i hope it goes smoothly. thanks for your constant updates, it helps me a lot!

:D xxx

Timeline

So today I am looking through my parents house and my book with ALL my immunization records is nowhere to be found! Of course, my younger brothers book was a piece of cake to unearth <_< I did ring around the city councils that I lived in and a few are able to send me my records...but it looks like I will have to get a blood test to prove most of them.

Timeline

Alex & Astrid - Good to hear you've been making some progress with your immunisations... hopefully you'll get what you need :) The only reason mum knew where my book was, was because we moved 5 years ago and she found them all (inc my 3 siblings) completely randomly... I gotta admit i really thought they didn't exist anymore :P

mrsemcee - Thanks for that advice on the train stations. I'm so nervous 'cause I've never done public transport in Sydney... hopefully it's not too bad? Is it usually crowded? Is there a website that shows train times? Does it ever run late? or cancelled services? These are all questions I have so if you have answers that'd be awesome. I'll also google it.

Random Update

So, as you've read I got my medical results a while ago but when I received P4 I found out that I didn't get everything I was supposed to!

Not really that big of a deal, just was supposed to include a copy of my vaccination records which I'll need for the AOS so I called and the doctor is sending that along. Apologised for not sending it first but because my vaccinations were up to date they didn't think about it... apparently most times it's sent is because there are follow-ups needed, like say HPV which is multiple shots.. and stuff.

Also, this could sound stupid to some of you, but I just found out that my Green Card (GC) doesn't allow me to work... I need the EAD (Employment Authorisation Document) to do that... which is MORE paperwork but thankfully not more money if I send it in with the AOS paperwork.

Here's some info on it if some of you don't know:

Definition - http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/...zation_Document

Form & Form Instructions - http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/men...00045f3d6a1RCRD

You'll see there's a fee of $340 but if you look in the special instructions it says "If you filed a Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, on July 30, 2007, or after, and you paid the I-485 application fee required, then no fee is required to file a request for employment authorization on Form I-765." and this is us :D

Good luck to you all.

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Has anyone used a blood test to show what vaccinations they have had as I have absolutely no idea where my records would be.

And the one I need can I just get my local GP to do and then have her print a report or something to take to my medical?

Thanks

Jason

April 1, 2010 - AOS, EAD, AP package sent

April 7, 2010 - Package received

April 14, 2010 - NOA's for AOS, EAD and AP

May 27, 2010 - Biometrics Taken

June 17, 2010 - Interview letter received

July 23, 2010 - Interview date

July 23, 2010 - approved

May 17, 2012 - I751 filed

Timeline
Has anyone used a blood test to show what vaccinations they have had as I have absolutely no idea where my records would be.

And the one I need can I just get my local GP to do and then have her print a report or something to take to my medical?

Thanks

Jason

Someone in the posts above mentioned getting a blood test to show what antibodies they had. I think this could be your only option. Talk to your GP about it and see what they say.

In regards to immunisations, you CAN get your doctor to do them, but it would be pointless as not all would be relevant and it is NOT advised on all the visa websites (USCIS etc). For instance in my case, Hep injections weren't age appropriate as well as some others so if i got them beforehand I'd have paid for what i didn't need. I had mine given at the visa doctors. I suppose you could ask them if you can have them elsewhere, but I think it's just easier and faster to do it there and then 'cause they sign your form and a week later you have the results. Up to you ultimately but I would wait and have done at the visa doctors.

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

:dance:!! VISA APPROVED !! :dance:

So yay! Very excited. I actually had my appointment on Tuesday 25th August at 10am. I typed out a LONG entry and then had to do something and accidentally erased it before submitting! Argh! So here I go again, I'll try and remember everything. :)

So I actually had a REALLY bad day. Obviously it ended well, I had an AWESOME interview, but the day was pretty ordinary!! To make it easier for those that are interested only in my experience at the Consulate, I will separate my date into "Getting to the Interview" and "MLC Centre Appointment".

Getting to the Interview

I live 2 hours from Melbourne Airport. I had decided that flying in to Sydney early in the morning was the best option, and also cheapest. The flights cost me $81 each way.

I decided that I would give myself 2 1/2 hours to get to the airport, 1/2 hour to get from long term parking (http://www.melbourneairport.com.au/To-From-the-Airport/Airport-Parking/Long-Term-Parking.html) to the Terminals, and as my flight was scheduled to leave at 6.15, i pretended it was at 6am and gave myself and hour from then to check in. Based on all of that, I had to leave 4 hours before 6am... I left at 2am, or planned to, but stopped for a drink so i left at 2.30am technically. The day before I went to bed at 8pm to sleep for 4 hours, woke at 12 midnight and made sure I had everything in order. Had some porridge for breakfast (oatmeal) 'cause it would keep me full and left :D

I arrived at the airport at 4.30am. I found a really good park near a courtesy bus stop (free bus to terminals), and gathered my things and started walking to the stop. Halfway to the stop, I saw the bus coming, and broke into a jog. Not a big deal. The bus waited for me, and I did a "sideways" step under the ramps rail with no issue BUT I must have planted my right foot wrong because suddenly I was falling to my right, towards to side of the bus, and I smacked my jaw on the railing, grabbed the rail with my left arm going down to stop myself falling between the bus and the platform, which wrenched my shoulder. Awesome. I was now sore, embarrassed, and stressed. Still, I caught the bus, no-one appeared to have noticed (there was one girl on the bus and she was sitting too far forward to have seen it) and it was still only just after 4.30am. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure seeing it would be hilarious, and i laugh abut it now, but at the time, i just thought "ugh, What a start to an important day. Trouble comes in three's... #######."

The bus took less than 5 minutes to arrive at the Terminal. I had no problems checking in. Being so early there was maybe 6 people in line, and 5 or so desks open so it didn't take long at all. The security gate was down blocking access to Terminals 1 - 10 so I sat down and called my fiance Tony to tell him I'd arrived. (Told him about the "fall" but assured him i was okay, just happy to be there on time).

At around 5am ish, they opened the security gate (don't know the actual time, but I wasn't sitting there long) and I took a seat at Terminal 1 for my flight. There was Boost Juice there so I grabbed a drink because I hadn't eaten anything substantial since around 1am. I had my Nintendo DS to play but I was so "wired" and so stressed and nervous and all of that, that I just sort of sat there. i didn't listen to my iPhone either because I wanted to make sure the battery would last the whole day. As it turned out, not listening to music was a good thing...

We were scheduled to start boarding my flight DJ803 at 5.45am for the 6.15 departure but at about 5.15 or 5.30 or so, an announcement came over the loudspeaker "Flight DJ803 has been cancelled due to operational difficulties. Could all passengers please proceed to the check-in desk to be re-allocated a flight". Seriously?? Couldn't they have picked a better flight to cancel? I was planning on arriving at Sydney nice and early, so I could relax, have a drink and something to eat, and I was told the travel by train, and walk to the MLC centre could take up to an hour. Okok. No need to panic right? There are lots of flights to Sydney all the time.

I went to the check-in desk and there was a special line for people who had canceled flights. Turns out there were 2 of them. Anyway, when I got to the desk, I was told the next available flight was the 7.15. To get me in at 8.40am. Now remember I was told and hour to get to MLC Centre and I wanted to get there a half hour early... so this was not good. I was told this was the earliest flight, and the girl at the desk next to her asked about my "new" flight and whether it was full and she was told yes. It seems I got the last ticket. *phew*. So I said okay and took a seat to wait over an hour till boarding time. I called Tony to update him, he told not to worry.. it would all be okay.

While I was sitting and waiting at Terminal 5, I got to talking to a guy near me. He was going to miss a business meeting 'cause of the delays. He had a computer and I asked him if he goes to Sydney a lot. He said yes, quite often. I asked how long the train would take, versus a taxi. He looked up the distance and said it should only take 20 mins or so by taxi and should cost only around $30. Okok. Not bad. Should be okay. He told me the trains were reliable and took about 20 mins also (http://www.cityrail.info/). It didn't include walking time though, and the taxi would drop me off right outside basically. Okay. Sounded good.

So for this new flight we were scheduled to start boarding my new flight DJ813 at 6.45am. At about 6.30am the girls at the desk were on the phone. I started chanting to myself (you know, cause it helps :P) "no cancellations, no delays..." and then came the announcement "Flight DJ813 has been delayed due to operation difficulties. The new departure time is 8.46am". What?!!?? An HOUR and a HALF!! We all rushed to the desk and were told because of the high winds, only one runway was operating at Sydney Airport and that's why ALL flights were delayed. I asked whether we could change flights. She said we could, but all flights were delayed so we would still be waiting. We were told we should arrive at 10am, and that the delay COULD be lifted, we would have to wait and see.

So... about now full panic had started in. I called Tony and updated him. Asked him what I should do. He asked if I could call and I told him there is no calling. The number for the $3 per minute help line didn't open till 8am, and even then I doubted they could help me, they were just information anyway. I told him there WAS an email address, and a fax number. We decided it would be best if I email them. I couldn't get anything in writing from the airline, but they did give me a number to give them so they could confirm it. While I was on the phone to him the delay was lifted by 15 mins to leave at 8.21am so we were hoping that MIGHT be me there before the deadline... and I was DEFINITELY catching a taxi.

This was my email (excuse the rambling, I was VERY stressed at this point) with my subject heading shown, AND I flagged it urgent:

"Subject: URGENT - Day of Interview today

Importance: High

Dear Sir/Madam,

As seen below I am scheduled for a 10am interview today the 25th August 2009.

I was initially scheduled to arrive at 7.45am but my first flight was cancelled. My new flight was scheduled to arrive at 8.40am but this has been delayed to LEAVE Melbourne airport at 8.21am. My delayed flight number is Virgin Blue DJ813. I have been unable to get anything in writing however if you call 13 67 89 they can confirm the flight was delayed.

I am still catching my flight and hope that i am still able to arrive on time however I may run a little late. I am hoping this is NOT the case and I arrive in time but I hope if I am unable to arrive on time my (hopefully) short delay is acceptable.

If there are any questions please contact my fiance Tony on 0011 ######### or myself on ######. However please note I will be in the air for approximately an hour and a half.

Kind regards,

Vanessa ######

Case Ref: SYD2009######"

I was still pretty worried though because from experience my emails to the Consulate take a day or so to be returned. Still I hoped the fact I HAD emailed them would work well in my favour.

So this time we started boarding a little earlier than was needed, and we were told that hopefully we would be able to leave a little bit early. We did too, 5 minutes but hey, every minute was counting at this stage! A few of us got talking on the plane about who was missing what. Most were missing interviews, or business meetings. So we were happy to be finally on the way, until this announcement from the Captain "due to only one runway being open, we are going to be in line in a holding pattern for 40 minutes. At this stage it appears we will be landing at 10.30am". A lot of people swore. I think my head was going to explode from stress. I had heard in forums and things that there was no rescheduling of interviews, that security probably wouldn't let me in because I was late, that they would consider my case abandoned and I would have to start from the start again. So yes, I was in full panic mode. My leg started hurting (turns out I bruised it in the fall), I had a headache, I was stressed, my jaw hurt and was a little bit swollen. REALLY bad morning so far.

I have an iPhone so I made sure it was on airplane mode and starting typing messages to Tony so that when we landed and I switched it off airplane mode he would be updated on what was going on. I was freaking out. So I had a little embarrassing moment. I went to ask the airline hostesses whether there was ANY way we could be moved up in the line... and started CRYING! OMG... very embarrassing... but I was very stressed and very worried and wasn't embarrassed at the time... just kinda now. She told me that unfortunately ALL flights were delayed. including international ones etc... and that one of the passengers was missing a funeral and I don't think that snapped me into reality, so much as my concern for others was hightened a little more. I still had that childish voice in my head stomping her feet and saying "but I'M more impt. Meetings can be rescheduled, funerals are bad but my interview has been waiting for SIX months and not getting there in time could have me cancelled or denied!!" So yeah. I calmed down and sat and i think resigned myself to my fate. Still freaking out but determined to try my best to convince them it wasn't my fault, please let me up to talk to them.. etc etc.

Eventually we landed (yep. 10.35am) and we were told we were allowed to turn our phones on. I did so immediately and started to check my hotmail. I think the internet was running the slowest I've ever seen it run. Those of you who've emailed the consulate would know you automatically get a reply saying "thanks for you email. We'll get in touch with you in X days" something like that so I expected that BUT there were TWO emails!! OMG OMG they replied. I refrained from doing a jig until I read it. I was crossing anything humanly possibly hoping that it was good news and not "we will reschedule to 30th Sept" or something. My flight is 12 Sept. I know I shouldn't have booked it but it was cheap and i was hoping :P (turns out I'm good to go but still freaking out).

So here's what the email said:

"Per the telephone conversation-

Please have Vanessa ##### come to the U.S. Consulate as soon as she arrives in Sydney. We will proceed with her interview when she arrives.

Sincerely,

Immigrant Visa Unit

U.S. Consulate General, Sydney

(SB)"

OMG OMG OMG! I would have done a jig had their been room, but I did chant "OMG OMG" and "OMG YAY" several times, quietly but still.. and the people I'd been talking to said "good news?" and I said "yes! They're letting me proceed when I arrive!!" and they congratulated me. I also told the hostess on the way out and thanked her for listening to my whinging :P She congratulated me too and told me to be calm and not rush 'cause that's when accidents happen (I told her about my fall.. it was part of my story by this stage :P)

So I called Tony as I hopped into a taxi to let him know about the email. I asked if they called him and he said no. So I figure the "per telephone conversation" was to security or my interviewer or something. My taxi driver told me the location I was going to was well known so any driver would know where it was. I told him I had been told some drivers aren't sure of certain location so I was very happy he did know and I was anxious to get there quickly. It took about 20 minutes and we had to go through a toll which was $5 BUT when he charged me at the end, and included the toll, he added a $3 "paying the toll" fee. WTH?? Ugh. Whatever. $47 or something the final price was. More than the $30 I was told by the guy in the airport but whatever hey? I was dropped off RIGHT in front so woot!

MLC Centre Appointment

So the MLC Centre is a very tall building with shops, and cafes and post office and stuff at the bottom. It took about 5 minutes (probably less.. seemed about that at the time :P) to navigate my way through to the "Tower" elevator which took me up to the lobby. Once in the lobby I had to go to the elevators (didn't need to talk to the guy at the desk) and go to level 10 which was the consulate security.

When I got there there was a lady security guard who was talking to a couple who was trying to get up to see them. The guard kept telling them they needed to make an appointment. She couldn't let them up without an appointment. They were asking HOW to book and appointment and she kept pointing to the letter they had that TOLD them how to. That she couldn't help them with their problem etc etc. They didn't speak english very well so she was repeating herself a bit and I was getting a little concerned that maybe they had been on a delayed flight too... Eventually they left and the guard smiled at me and said "do you have an interview?" and I said yes and gave her my email that I had to print and bring with me. She asked for ID and said "Ahh Vanessa. I've been told about you. Rough morning huh?" we talked about about that as she passed my bag through the xray and I stepped through the metal detector. There was another lady security guard there too and she took my bag, asked me to turn off my phone and take my papers and my wallet. She then put my bag in a pigeon hole and gave a card with the number on it.

No-one else was waiting so I was told to take a seat and wait for the guard to buzz me up to level 56. Didn't take long for him to do it at all so I took the time from level 10 - 56 to look in the mirrored walls and make sure I don't look as bad as I felt... :P

When I got to level 56 there were other lifts opposite mine and only one way to turn which faced a little desk that had a security guard sitting there. We had a little chat and she wished me luck and I walked through the free standing metal detector and into the room. She had to release the door and it was heavy so I had pull hard. On the other side was a little stand thing where you had to push what you were there for. I pushed "immigrant visa (including K, V.... )" and got number 14. There were three separate rooms separated by large openings but you could tell they were different rooms. I took a seat in the far left room because the middle room looked like interviews, and the far room had a girl breastfeeding...

It took about 5 minutes and I was called to the first girl who was very lovely. She smiled and asked for my interview letter and asked me to wait while she collected my file. She said "Ahh Vanessa, Rough day huh?" (this was getting to be a habit :P) and I had a quick chat about that, and she said not to worry, I was there now and she smiled again. I saw the letter I had written on the top of my file, along with the reply from the consulate. She asked me for the things I had been asked for (3kg envelope, visa fee receipt and passport) and handed me my originals. She then asked me to take a seat and relax while she looked through my file and she smiled again.

There was a gorgeous view out the window so I enjoyed that for a bit and just kinda smiled to myself. I was there. I had evidence of our relationship. I was thinking positive. I got called back to her desk after maybe 10 minutes, and she told me that everything appeared to be in order, and that I should take a seat and I would be called to have my prints taken, and then my interview and she wished me luck. Again she smiled. I was feeling much better by now. Starving but still happy.

It didn't take long for me to be called for prints. Again the lady was really nice and asked about my day (she had my file too :P) and took prints of my left hand (4 fingers together), right hand, and then two thumbs together. She said my interview was next and wished me luck and told me to sit in the "middle" section.

While I was sitting there a guy around my age (26) came to his desk with a cup of coffee (good sign, he's relaxed right??) and called me up. We had a little chat (again about my day) and he started asking me questions. It was very informal and he was really friendly. I saw my fiance's pic as he flicked through and I said "Ooo his pic! I didn't see that" and he showed me and i commented on how he wasn't wearing his glasses and we talked about those ones that my mum has that changes colour in the sun. I told him that I had travelled an hour for my photo to make sure it was a good one :P and 'cause you can't get the American size ones in my home town. He told me that the photo on my visa wouldn't be that clear anyway... I didn't know that it would be on the visa.. oooo good thing it was a good one!

Here's an approximate rundown of the actual Q&A:

Q: How long has it been since you've seen your fiance Timothy?

A: Timothy? You mean Tony? Nice try at tricking me :P Dec 8th 2008.

Him: Hmm I wonder where I got Timothy from? Ahh here it is. His dad's name.

Q: How did you meet?

A: World of Warcraft

Him: I get that a lot!

Me: lol. Didn't start out that way.

Q: When did you start talking?

A: Umm August 07. I have some MSN chat logs if you like

Him: Oooo no! I don't wanna know what they say (he smiled)

Me: I blacked out anything dodgy!

Him: Some people don't. They think it'll strengthen their case!

Me: Does that happen a lot?

Him: sometimes. The worst I had was someone submitting pics of their "intimate" moments

me: :o:blink:

Q: Where does he live?

A: Houston at the moment. He's from iowa and we'll be moving there in about 3 weeks after I arrive 'cause he'll have finished school by then. That's why his parents address is put there for my green card.

Him: Well he'll be looking forward to finishing!

Me: Yeah. He's an ex-marine diesel mechanic... it's a bit of a pain going to school for 2 years when he already did it in the marines for 4!

Q: When do you plan on leaving?

A: Sept 12 :) Married Nov 7

Him: So you're all set huh? Yeah! I'm very excited!

He was typing my "answers" (not the chat stuff) as we talked. He was really friendly and chatty. He then said. Okay, well everything looks good, you're approved... and handed me a couple of pieces of paper, one had the tracking number on it. He told me that when I get sent my passport back, there will be an envelope that says "DO NOT OPEN" so I'm not allowed to open it. He said that several people do. It's nothing mysterious, it's just my ENTIRE file which I was hand carrying to Homeland Security so opening it is REALLY REALLY bad. One of the other pages he gave me talked about what to expect and it told me that I should keep a copy of everything I have already because they don't keep copies. He told me that it should be sent out by the end of the week, that they can't guarantee no computer issues but that my flights a bit away so I should be fine. He then asked if I had any questions and I said no and he said that that was it. I was like "so... that's it? i just go downstairs and grab my stuff?" and he smiled and said yep :) Congratulations! I smiled and thanked him.

When I walked out I talked to the security lady directly outside and she asked me how i went and congratulated me. She asked me how expensive it was and I told her and we had a little chat and then I went down. Smiling the whole time. When I got out at level 10 the nice security lady was there and she said it was good to see a happy result. I asked if there are many bad ones. She said not lots, but enough so it's always good to see a smiling face. We chatted a bit again and i went downstairs to the lobby to call Tony!! I also called Mum and Dad, and my brother. It was so weird to be sitting there after the morning I had and have had SUCH a good interview experience.

I felt bad for the girl that entered the place after me (we chatted a little while I was there) and I asked her how long she'd been waiting and she said "long story short? 2 years". I was like "2 years!! OMG!". She told me there'd been some dodgy mail and she'd had stuff returned to sender. I felt bad for her but I hope she went alright. If my 6 month ordeal was a relief.. I can only imagine hers!

I then went to the cafe's etc and got some food and called Tony again to chat more because he'd finished work. We were very happy. He wasn't allowed to be too loud at work so when he first answered after worked he screamed "woohoo!!" into my ear. Very excited!

THE END :)

I had more dramas on the way home. I changed my flight back to Melb up 4 hours and it cost me $60 when it should have been free but I'm putting in complaints about it now and we'll see how we go. Either way I was really tired and wouldn't have been able to wait the 4 hours till my flight, 1 1/2 hour flight, and then 2 hour drive home.

The countdown to my flight is 16 days as of today the 27th August 2009! Woot! Very excited. Hope all your processes are going well and I hope my little experience helps you, and also my Journey there,... gives you a little giggle :P

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.