18 posts in this topic

I'm starting my K-1 process this month, but a few doubts persist, and I still haven't found the answer. I'm sorry if maybe the answers are already around and I could not find them yet, and some of them I believe to be more specific to my case.

As of our case, in short: I am Carolina (brazilian) and my fiance is James (american) and we are both free to marry, I have no children, and he has two kids who live with their mother, to which he pays child support. We met each other online, knowing each other for a year and a half, and spent 6 months living together. I went to US and spent the whole time provided to me, 6 months, and came back respecting that time.

-------------------------------------------------

The first one is: from the documents that my finace needs to send the first package (I-129F), which need to be notorized? Or is that uncessary to all of them?

As far as I understood, I need to send him, so that he can send the I-129F:

- my "letter of intent"

- my G-325a, all pages.

- my picture, passport style (5x5), name written behind with pencil and keep it in a plastic with label written "Photo of <my name>"

- copies of the proofs of relationship that are with me.

So, with that in mind, any of those need to be notorized? Or I just need to print, writte, take copies and mail it all to my fiance?

Second, a series of doubts on the things I have to prove our relationship:

- We havepictures together, but they are digital ones without the day printed on them. I have around 15 pictures, but only 3 of them are clearly on different days, we have many just on a same moment, different positions, etc. My doubt: how many are good enough?

- I have my flying tickets from my visit to US, will send copy of that, no mystery, right?

- Personal letters. My doubt: should we take a copy of the envelopes too? Both sides? And the contents with that? All together? And all of them? There is a good number of letters.

- A receipt from a gift he sent and ended up becoming a big bill I had to pay, because he forgot to declare it was a gift, not sure to add or not.

- I could print the credit card expenses history from my time in US, or is it irrelevant? I also kept receipts of all kinds of things, from movie theatre and rock show to wal-mart weekly groceries. MANY receipts.

- Not many e-mails, but a lot of chat logs from Yahoo and specially Skype, where we do computer to computer calls, which are free. Doubt is: I don't know how to print the Skype logs without copying and pasting them on a word processor! It has no direct print button, so I am lost here, I am not sure if they would accept or have doubts that it was true or made by me. Only idea I had so far was to take screen shots of the logs and then print, which will be a long work. Any ideas on that?

And just to confirm... for I-129F... I send only the COPIES of the relationship proofs? I keep originals for the interview, is that it?

Specific I-129F doubt:

Part B, question 20: "Your fiancé(e) will apply for a visa abroad at the American embassy or consulate at" and then it asks for city and country. I can't remember this one, but I once read somewhere that for Brazil, it would always be default on Rio de Janeiro for fiance and marriage visas. Can someone confirm me that please?

Affidavit of Support: It is not for this first part, but... we are still a little confused on this part, so just to confirm (in short): my fiance must have an income on the past 5 years of 125% higher then the poverty level of the current year? And if not, have a co-sponsor? Is it interesting to have a co-sponsor just in case the numbers seem to close to the limit?

Well, these are my only doubts so far. But I am so... paranoic about it all. At first, the process seemed to be so much more complicated, and now that I read it over and over again, it seems simple, just very long waiting and many documents to gather. I am even getting affraid to read the posts around here, they make me sometimes happy because things worked out and I think it will be the same for me, or I get sad it will go very hard and bad like some other case. I guess I should just keep breathing as my fiance said, and be patient...

Sorry for the long post, hope someone can clarify my head a little! Thanks in advance!

5oMDm5.png

For the detailed timeline, please click "Timeline" under my avatar and check the "comments".

ROC Journey:-

05.12.2012 -- Mailed I-751 packet

05.21.2012 -- Check Cashed

05.15.2012 -- NOA1

05.30.2012 -- Biometric notice issued

06.06.2012 -- Biometrics Date (walk-in). Was scheduled for 06/14

xx.xx.2012 -- Card Production Ordered.

xx.xx.2012 -- 10 Year Green Card Received

The first one is: from the documents that my finace needs to send the first package (I-129F), which need to be notorized? Or is that uncessary to all of them?

- my "letter of intent"

- my G-325a, all pages.

- my picture, passport style (5x5), name written behind with pencil and keep it in a plastic with label written "Photo of <my name>"

So, with that in mind, any of those need to be notorized? Or I just need to print, writte, take copies and mail it all to my fiance? None of these need to be notarized

- We havepictures together, but they are digital ones without the day printed on them. I have around 15 pictures, but only 3 of them are clearly on different days, we have many just on a same moment, different positions, etc. My doubt: how many are good enough?

- I have my flying tickets from my visit to US, will send copy of that, no mystery, right?

- Personal letters. My doubt: should we take a copy of the envelopes too? Both sides? And the contents with that? All together? And all of them? There is a good number of letters.

- A receipt from a gift he sent and ended up becoming a big bill I had to pay, because he forgot to declare it was a gift, not sure to add or not.

- I could print the credit card expenses history from my time in US, or is it irrelevant? I also kept receipts of all kinds of things, from movie theatre and rock show to wal-mart weekly groceries. MANY receipts.

- Not many e-mails, but a lot of chat logs from Yahoo and specially Skype, where we do computer to computer calls, which are free. Doubt is: I don't know how to print the Skype logs without copying and pasting them on a word processor! It has no direct print button, so I am lost here, I am not sure if they would accept or have doubts that it was true or made by me. Only idea I had so far was to take screen shots of the logs and then print, which will be a long work. Any ideas on that?

And just to confirm... for I-129F... I send only the COPIES of the relationship proofs? I keep originals for the interview, is that it? :yes:

Specific I-129F doubt:

Part B, question 20: "Your fiancé(e) will apply for a visa abroad at the American embassy or consulate at" and then it asks for city and country. I can't remember this one, but I once read somewhere that for Brazil, it would always be default on Rio de Janeiro for fiance and marriage visas. Can someone confirm me that please? US Embassy Rio De Janereiro, Brazil

Affidavit of Support: It is not for this first part, but... we are still a little confused on this part, so just to confirm (in short): my fiance must have an income on the past 5 years of 125% higher then the poverty level of the current year? And if not, have a co-sponsor? Is it interesting to have a co-sponsor just in case the numbers seem to close to the limit? If your fiance's income exceeds the minimum, having a co-sponsor doesn't help.

Proof of having met evidence will be mostly things like:

• Airplane tickets/boarding passes
  • Hotel/Car-Rental receipts
  • Other travel receipts (passport stamps etc).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Specific I-129F doubt:

Part B, question 20: "Your fiancé(e) will apply for a visa abroad at the American embassy or consulate at" and then it asks for city and country. I can't remember this one, but I once read somewhere that for Brazil, it would always be default on Rio de Janeiro for fiance and marriage visas. Can someone confirm me that please?

Affidavit of Support: It is not for this first part, but... we are still a little confused on this part, so just to confirm (in short): my fiance must have an income on the past 5 years of 125% higher then the poverty level of the current year? And if not, have a co-sponsor? Is it interesting to have a co-sponsor just in case the numbers seem to close to the limit?

Unless James lives in Brazil, he won't be filing the I-129F petition at the American embassy, rather at the nearest USCIS service center in America, either California or Vermont.

Generally they only request 3 years of tax transcripts (free from IRS) or returns. Also they are most interested in present job and whether it meets the minimum. I have only been at my current job for two years, but was accepted with no problems.

All the best

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

- my "letter of intent"

- my G-325a, all pages.

So, with that in mind, any of those need to be notorized? Or I just need to print, writte, take copies and mail it all to my fiance? None of these need to be notarized

And just to confirm... for I-129F... I send only the COPIES of the relationship proofs? I keep originals for the interview, is that it? :yes:

Specific I-129F doubt:

Part B, question 20: "Your fiancé(e) will apply for a visa abroad at the American embassy or consulate at" and then it asks for city and country. I can't remember this one, but I once read somewhere that for Brazil, it would always be default on Rio de Janeiro for fiance and marriage visas. Can someone confirm me that please? US Embassy Rio De Janereiro, Brazil

Affidavit of Support: It is not for this first part, but... we are still a little confused on this part, so just to confirm (in short): my fiance must have an income on the past 5 years of 125% higher then the poverty level of the current year? And if not, have a co-sponsor? Is it interesting to have a co-sponsor just in case the numbers seem to close to the limit? If your fiance's income exceeds the minimum, having a co-sponsor doesn't help.

Proof of having met evidence will be mostly things like:

• Airplane tickets/boarding passes
  • Hotel/Car-Rental receipts
  • Other travel receipts (passport stamps etc).

excellent answers, I could not add anything to them.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Thank you very much for the answers! I suppose writing it down helped a little on the anxiety here too... so much words to ask and such simple answers!

Something I am thinking... should I just send the proof of the 6 months we were together? Or should I already include all the rest I said on the list I made?

5oMDm5.png

For the detailed timeline, please click "Timeline" under my avatar and check the "comments".

05.15.2012 -- NOA1

Unless James lives in Brazil, he won't be filing the I-129F petition at the American embassy, rather at the nearest USCIS service center in America, either California or Vermont.

This question is not about where the I-129F is filed, but where the foreign SO will apply for a visa, reflecting the two-stage process of obtaining a family-based visa. In this case, it DOES mean Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Thank you very much for the answers! I suppose writing it down helped a little on the anxiety here too... so much words to ask and such simple answers!

Something I am thinking... should I just send the proof of the 6 months we were together? Or should I already include all the rest I said on the list I made?

The best things to send at the moment from the list you provided are your flight tickets, credit receipts from when you were down there, just a select few (no need for the whole 6 months, just makes a lot of paper) to show you were there at the same time he was, and a couple of the pictures (write date/place on the back)

The rest of the stuff is evidence of relationship which is for the consulate phase, keep that safe for then. You can include some of it if you really want, which is called front loading the petition, but I'm not sure if Brazil is one of those consulates that benifits really from front loading it.

~*~*~Steph and Wes~*~*~
Married: 2010-01-20

ROC: (for the complete timeline click on my timeline button, the signature was getting too long!)
I-751 Sent: 2015-05-22
NOA1 Notice Date: 2015-05-27
NOA1 Received: 2015-06-06
Biometrics Notice Date: 2015-06-27
Biometrics Date: 2015-07-17

Interview Notice Date: 2015-07-28

Interview Date: ​2015-09-01
Approval Date:
Approval Notice Date:

hdh1crofujrxk.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
I'm starting my K-1 process this month, but a few doubts persist, and I still haven't found the answer. I'm sorry if maybe the answers are already around and I could not find them yet, and some of them I believe to be more specific to my case.

As of our case, in short: I am Carolina (brazilian) and my fiance is James (american) and we are both free to marry, I have no children, and he has two kids who live with their mother, to which he pays child support. We met each other online, knowing each other for a year and a half, and spent 6 months living together. I went to US and spent the whole time provided to me, 6 months, and came back respecting that time.

- my "letter of intent"

- my G-325a, all pages.

So, with that in mind, any of those need to be notorized? Or I just need to print, writte, take copies and mail it all to my fiance?

And just to confirm... for I-129F... I send only the COPIES of the relationship proofs? I keep originals for the interview, is that it?

Specific I-129F doubt:

Well, these are my only doubts so far. But I am so... paranoic about it all. At first, the process seemed to be so much more complicated, and now that I read it over and over again, it seems simple, just very long waiting and many documents to gather. I am even getting affraid to read the posts around here, they make me sometimes happy because things worked out and I think it will be the same for me, or I get sad it will go very hard and bad like some other case. I guess I should just keep breathing as my fiance said, and be patient...

Sorry for the long post, hope someone can clarify my head a little! Thanks in advance!

One of the best aids was the guides in this website. They also have samples of how to fill in the forms also. It sure does help to see how to fill things in. Once you have everything for the petition and sent in you have time to get employment information and so forth. As for the chat logs I talk to Pat using Yahoo IM. My petition has not been processed yet, but I just took and made a screen shot of the chat log and a few samples of conversations. I will soon see if my method was successful.

4-17-2009 sent K1 Petition

5-1-2009 USCIS received petition

5-4-2009 received NOA1 notice

7-17-2009 touched

7-20-2009 NOA2 received

8-3-2009 NVC received petition

8-4-2009 NVC sent petition to Manila

9-22-2009 Medical Exam (scar on lungs) will have sputum test done

9-28-2009 K1 visa interview (canceled)

12-02-2009 call the SLMEC for sputum test report out

12-07-2009 Medical passed

12-08-2009 CFO

December 16, 2009 visa Pink Slip

December 20, 2009 entered USA

With God's blessing

Dale and Pat

Thank you again for the answers.

elmcitymaven got it right, I was in doubt about the embassy my things were gonna be sent, but thank you anyway ThaitoUSA, as I went and checked my fancé specific one, which is Vermont.

Danu, thank you for clarifying the important things to send right now a little further, I took colored copies of my flying tickets, passport stamp of the date of entry, and will send the credit card data with it, and the pictures. I'll leave the logs if they ask for further information. DaleandPat, the guides and examples are indeed awesome here, most of the doubts I had I could solve with them. On the chat logs, I will probably print a few and send already, just in case it is asked for on an RFE.

For Brazil, I once read a case where the lady sent only her pictures with the fiance, and it was enough. I don't know if how much it is asked of a case is based on a country or on the specific case and its details, so I'll send more then that.

5oMDm5.png

05.15.2012 -- NOA1

Hmm another doubt. I took a copy of my passport with the tourist visa I have to show the stamp from my visit to US. Thing is: they didnt stamp when I left the US. Is this normal? I did deliver the I-94 before boarding out of the US and respected the time there.

Thing is, would it be useful at all to send this copy as proof of my visit along with the flying tickets, or would that missing stamp be a problem?

5oMDm5.png

05.15.2012 -- NOA1

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

I have never had my passport stamped when leaving the USA, it is very normal don't worry.

Do you have entry stamps? They are an excellent proof to send to show you actually did use your flight tickets and got into the USA (past customs).

29/06/2004 Met online

24/10/2004- Officially started dating!

-Various Trips Between the USA and Scotland-

25/12/2007- Steven Proposed, and gave me a lovely Ring!

29/02/2008- Sent I-129F to VSC

22/09/2008-1pm - Recieved Visa!

04/11/2008 -Steven comes back to Scotland for the Celebrations!

09/11/2008- We return home together!

23/01/2009- Wedding!!!

Your I-129f was approved in 108 days from your NOA1 date.

Preparing AOS Forms.

09/4/2009- Sent AOS

11/4/2009- Received and signed for

20/4/2009- Received NOA for AOS/EAD/AP (Dated April 17th)

20/4/2009- USCIS cashed check for $1010

09/5/2009- Biometrics

11/5/2009- Case transferred to CSC

05/6/2009- Received AP

09/6/2009- Received EAD

22/7/2009- Approved!

27/7/2009- Greencard in Hand

Removal of Conditions.

15/5/2011- Received @ VSC

23/5/2011-NOA1

12/07/2011- Biometrics

I do have the entry stamp! Thank you Nicoxcx, I traveled only once to US and didn't have anyone around to ask on that =)

5oMDm5.png

05.15.2012 -- NOA1

And yet another doubt came around...

On my G-325a, I have to list my employments on the last 5 years. I am currently Unemployed, that is alright to put there. Problem is, on the last 5 years, I was graduating on Psychology in Brazil, and the only "jobs" I had were actually part of trainee programs, and had no salary, but contracts that made me authorized to work on such places.

Should I list those? Or should I just fill the Unemployed state? Because all I can prove is to show them the term of compromisse to serve on that institution for a certain number of hours, I had no salary.

On my DS-157, required to get my tourist visa, there is a question about the last two employers, and there, I did list trainee jobs with all the required details, and took those terms of compromisse along with me to the interview as proof. They never asked for it, so I have no idea if that document was enough.

So, since I do need to fill a DS-157 again for my fiancé interview (hoping that I reach that point!!), would them compare my current one with the one I filed for the tourist visa? Because as I understand now, those "jobs" were actually part of my graduation, I should not have listed them on my tourist Visa under employments! What you guys think?

5oMDm5.png

05.15.2012 -- NOA1

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

Carolina, I have had only 1 job in the last five years (since I am 23 my entire life has been college) I listed my college education there, they need to know what you have been doing, leaving gaps will no doubt get an RFE,.

I also listed my 'job' at a local nursery school that was part of my college course on early childcare development. I had no issues or RFE's with the K1 application, I hope this helps you out.

29/06/2004 Met online

24/10/2004- Officially started dating!

-Various Trips Between the USA and Scotland-

25/12/2007- Steven Proposed, and gave me a lovely Ring!

29/02/2008- Sent I-129F to VSC

22/09/2008-1pm - Recieved Visa!

04/11/2008 -Steven comes back to Scotland for the Celebrations!

09/11/2008- We return home together!

23/01/2009- Wedding!!!

Your I-129f was approved in 108 days from your NOA1 date.

Preparing AOS Forms.

09/4/2009- Sent AOS

11/4/2009- Received and signed for

20/4/2009- Received NOA for AOS/EAD/AP (Dated April 17th)

20/4/2009- USCIS cashed check for $1010

09/5/2009- Biometrics

11/5/2009- Case transferred to CSC

05/6/2009- Received AP

09/6/2009- Received EAD

22/7/2009- Approved!

27/7/2009- Greencard in Hand

Removal of Conditions.

15/5/2011- Received @ VSC

23/5/2011-NOA1

12/07/2011- Biometrics

Thank you for sharing that, Nicoxcx, it is exactly my case! I spent the last 5 years in college, and the only work I did was part of the course, beign listed on my school history. So my doubt was if I could call it an employment or not, but since it provides information on what I've been doing on the last five years, makes sense to place there.

Also, I did mention 2 of them on my tourist Visa process, and felt awkward not to mention them right now. My material proof was the "compromise contract", wich have adress info, supervisor info, my info and signature from the "boss" of my course.

What I'll do this time is provide them the whole Psychology Trainee time rather then all the little details, since my school history provides such material proof, if ever asked for, and I can detail it if asked with all those contracts. I don't do this right now because I am affraid it will be complicated to whoever reads to understand the fact that I had lots of work places at a same time range, but on different days and times, and were classified as "course classes", and not jobs under my country's constitution.

So what I placed was:

Unemployed Unemployed 12-2008 Present Time

<University Name & adress> Psychology Student (on occupation) 02-2004 12-2008 (when I graduated)

<University Name & adress> Psychology Trainee (on occupation) 07-2008 12-2008 (when I graduated)

Think this will be understood clearly?

Thank you for the help so far!

5oMDm5.png

05.15.2012 -- NOA1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.