Cubioh

Information Request

9 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Hi everyone,

I hope this is the right place to ask, my apologies if it isn't.

I was recently asked for help by an acquaintance regarding immigration, but I'm not sure what I can do for this person.

This person is a muslim male, and was seriously considering a second marriage. The woman in question seems to have fallen in love with him on first sight, and because is also muslim, sees no problems with this man having a second marriage.

The problem kicks in here, however, as the woman is an American citizen, and would of course, want her husband to be with her in the states, as she refuses to give up her home to live in "dangerous countries" (as she says). Doing just a little bit of research, I've told them that unfortunately, it could be a problem to file because he may have to divorce his first wife (because from what I've read, the 1st wife is considered legal in the US). He doesn't really want to do this, however, because the 1st marriage is one of those marriages that are made in order to keep familial relations strong (and is a marriage in the extended family) so it could be a severe problem if a divorce was issued to her. He, however, also does not want to spend the rest of his life in his home country either and would love to take an opportunity to live with his 2nd wife (for the sake of clarity, we'll just consider her his 2nd wife even though they haven't yet married).

Some people have said that he only list his 2nd wife on the application and not mention his 1st wife at all, as that's how they did it and got around the problem, thus keeping one wife abroad, and one here in the States, but I was telling him that he may run into problems with that and could end up getting in serious trouble. Both of them also know full well of many American-born citizens living in the mid-west who have multiple wives right here in the States and think it's unfair of the country to consider multiple marriages both illegal and yet allow them to happen (of this, I've seen a documentary myself, and I do admit I'm baffled and had no explanation to give him).

Is there any suggestions anyone here can give? I've heard of people who have multiple wives coming here with just one of them, but I don't know how that would work to be able to give him any specific information. He also is untrusting of lawyers, and is adamant of not going to any. I look forward to conveying any information you guys are able to add, so at least they know all their options. Thank you very much for your time.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

ya, 2 options:

She goes to live with him in his home country as his second wife

or

he gets a divorce and marries USC and lives here with her.

polygamy is not legal here and a "second" wife is not even considered a legal wife in the eyes of the USCIS , therfore cant petition him to the US.

"you fondle my trigger then you blame my gun"

Timeline: 13 month long journey from filing to visa in hand

If you were lucky and got an approval and reunion with your loved one rather quickly; Please refrain from telling people who waited 6+ months just to get out of a service center to "chill out" or to "stop whining" It's insensitive,and unecessary. Once you walk a mile in their shoes you will understand and be heard.

Thanks!

Filed: Timeline
ya, 2 options:

or

polygamy is not legal here and a "second" wife is not even considered a legal wife in the eyes of the USCIS , therfore cant petition him to the US.

:thumbs: sister Lisa is awesome.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
I was telling him that he may run into problems with that and could end up getting in serious trouble.

You should continue to tell him just that. It is serious trouble, illegal, and wrong to attempt to do what he is contemplating.

many American-born citizens living in the mid-west who have multiple wives right here in the States and think it's unfair of the country to consider multiple marriages both illegal and yet allow them to happen (of this, I've seen a documentary myself, and I do admit I'm baffled and had no explanation to give him).

Polygamy is illegal in the US. It was legal in Utah and practiced there by Mormons in the 19th century but as part of admission to the Union, Utah also banned polygamy. There are renegade religious sects (you may have heard of Warren Jeffs and the FLDS) who have defiantly practiced polygamy. What they do is illegal, and there have been frequent police actions against them for hideous practices such as "marrying" multiple underage girls to decrepit old men. This is NOT how marriage is practiced in America.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

There is no way around this situation. Bigamy is illegal and a crime punishable by either a fine, imprisonment, or both. The American Citizen wife wouldn't be able to petition for the foreign husband since they have to supply proof (by showing divorce papers) that they're both legally able to marry.

Lying to USCIS about the previous marriage is a HUGE no no and VJ does no support, give advice, or condone such behavior.

(Puerto Rico) Luis & Laura (Brazil) K1 JOURNEY
04/11/2006 - Filed I-129F.
09/29/2006 - Visa in hand!

10/15/2006 - POE San Juan
11/15/2006 - MARRIAGE

AOS JOURNEY
01/05/2007 - AOS sent to Chicago.
03/26/2007 - Green Card in hand!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS JOURNEY
01/26/2009 - Filed I-751.
06/22/2009 - Green Card in hand!

NATURALIZATION JOURNEY
06/26/2014 - N-400 sent to Nebraska
07/02/2014 - NOA
07/24/2014 - Biometrics
10/24/2014 - Interview (approved)

01/16/2015 - Oath Ceremony

*View Complete Timeline

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline
ya, 2 options:

or

:thumbs: sister Lisa is awesome.

:blush:

"you fondle my trigger then you blame my gun"

Timeline: 13 month long journey from filing to visa in hand

If you were lucky and got an approval and reunion with your loved one rather quickly; Please refrain from telling people who waited 6+ months just to get out of a service center to "chill out" or to "stop whining" It's insensitive,and unecessary. Once you walk a mile in their shoes you will understand and be heard.

Thanks!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

I concur with the above posts :)

ILLEGAL

Why is it that the only one who can stop the crying is the one who started it in the first place?

More Complete Story here
My Saga includes 2 step sons
USC Married 4/2007 Colombian on overstay since 2001 of B1/B2 visa
Applied 5/2007 Approved GC in Hand 10/2007
I-751 mailed 6/30/09 aapproved 11/7/09 The BOYS I-751 Mailed 12/29/09 3/23/10 Email approval for 17 CR 3/27/10
4/14/10 Email approval for 13 yr Old CR 4/23/10

Oldest son now 21 I-130 filed by LPR dad ( as per NVC CSPA is applying here )
I-130 approved 2/24
Priority date 12/6/2007
4/6/2010 letter from NVC arrives to son dated 3/4/2010
5/4/10 received AOS and DS3032 via email
9/22/10 Interview BOG Passed
10/3/10 POE JFK all went well
11/11/10 GC Received smile.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

The OP has been given the correct response - what his friends are doing is illegal. It is against TOS of Visa Journey to support, condone or assist with any type of illegal immigration activities. Since the OP is requesting assistance in how to circumvent the legal immigration process I am closing this thread. It requires no further discussion.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.