trailmix

Your best cleaning tip!

99 posts in this topic

Checkout Everyday Cheapskate.

It's a daily email newsletter, and usually once a week there is a cheaper/greener/easier cleaning tips edition with about 6. Read the archives for others.

It ranges from:

- When you clean the coffee maker with the white vinegar, use the boiling vinegar to chase baking soda down the drain to keep your pipes clear.

- Original Blue Dawn can be used to clean soap scum from your glass shower doors

-Make your own laundry detergent for a fraction of the price!

etc.

It's not just cleaning tips, but how to reduce and reuse things, and lots of other useful things.

K-1:

January 28, 2009: NOA1

June 4, 2009: Interview - APPROVED!!!

October 11, 2009: Wedding

AOS:

December 23, 2009: NOA1!

January 22, 2010: Bogus RFE corrected through congressional inquiry "EAD waiting on biometrics only" Read about it here.

March 15, 2010: AOS interview - RFE for I-693 vaccination supplement - CS signed part 6!

March 27, 2010: Green Card recieved

ROC:

March 1, 2012: Mailed ROC package

March 7, 2012: Tracking says "notice left"...after a phone call to post office.

More detailed time line in profile.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline

Okay, this isn't a cleaning tip.... but it's a tip! LOL

When trying to open tightly sealed lids on brand new jars, insert the tip of a can opener (the kind that pierces holes in cans) underneath the rim of the lid until you hear the vacuum release. The jar will open easily after that.

iagree.gif

Oh I was told by one of my former co-workers that if you have a baked-on mess in your casserole dish or roasting pan to let it soak with warm water and put a dryer sheet (bounce) in it. I tried it and it works like a charm! Other than doing dishes, thank goodness for dishwashers! I hate cleaning, hence a previous thread, i would definitely hire a housekeeper!

ok this got my attention, I feakin HATE cleaning roast pans, but alas am a Sunday roast freak so it must be done!

what exactly is a dryer sheet for ?????

how long is it left in the roasting pan with the warm water???

:thumbs:

edited to add, I just usually spray a little oven cleaner on the rough spots, but would rather not mess with the chemicals..

Edited by lisaf

April 14 - sent I-129F to Vermont

April 25 - NOA1

May, June, July lost to IMBRA and RFE's

Aug 22 - NOA2

Sept 25 - interview date OCTOBER 13th

Oct 26 - arrived at JFK - work authorized

Nov 21 - apply SSN, received Nov 29

Dec 16 - marriage license

Jan 05 - wedding

Jan 30 - AOS begins

AOS

Feb 07 - NOA1 ,check cashed

Feb 28 - notice I-485 sent to CSC

Mar 10 - Biometrics

Apr 16 - surprise RFE arrives..they lost my medical. New medical returned, Apr 23

Jun 1st - RFE ..more medical BS ( go back for TB skin test)

Jun 28 - CARD PRODUCTION ORDERED!!!

July 06- Green card arrives.

LIFTING CONDITIONS 2009

June 12 - mailed package

June 15 - check cashed

June 19 - NOA extension letter ( card expires June 26th)

July 03 - Biometrics notice

July 14 - Biometrics appointment

OCT 29 - CARD PRODUCTION ORDERED!!!

It's a fabric softener sheet that you throw in the dryer as opposed to the liquid softener which goes into the washing machine. With roasting tins, sometimes I just use the Ajax-type powdered or liquid cleansers (doesn't have to be Ajax). They seem to work without ruining the pans.

Oh! Speaking of liquid softener..... pour some into warm water and use it on wallpaper to soften the paste and make it easy to pull it off the walls.

iagree.gif

If you run out of paper towel for mirror or glass cleaning, paper coffee filters work great in a pinch. No lint either.

BTW, i use flour sack towels for dish drying and mirror cleaning.

Edited by garyandmarylou

October 31, 2016 I-130 sent to Chicago Lockbox

November 4, 2016 Received text case sent to Nebraska

November 10, 2016 Received Hard copy of NOA1

Oh! That reminds me! Newspaper is actually the best product to use when cleaning windows and mirrors. Of course, you need a bit of glass cleaner too. lol

The window cleaner at the butcher's I used to shop at told me that soapy water was the best thing for his job. But then you have to squeegee. I can't remember if he rinsed. I guess I should have paid more attention. :lol: Anyway, we have a standalone shower so, periodically, I will take an old scrubby (what the heck do you call those synthetic mesh things that you use in place of facecloths?) pour a bit of liquid soap in it, then lather up and use it to clean the glass and ceramic walls while I'm still in the shower. Then I use the hand shower to rinse it off. In between I spray on Arm & Hammer shower cleaner. You spray from the bottom up. It really does help to keep the shower clean between cleanings.

Edited by Krikit
iagree.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
Okay, this isn't a cleaning tip.... but it's a tip! LOL

When trying to open tightly sealed lids on brand new jars, insert the tip of a can opener (the kind that pierces holes in cans) underneath the rim of the lid until you hear the vacuum release. give it to your husband, that's what he's for. The jar will open easily after that.

fixxored

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Oh! That reminds me! Newspaper is actually the best product to use when cleaning windows and mirrors. Of course, you need a bit of glass cleaner too. lol

The window cleaner at the butcher's I used to shop at told me that soapy water was the best thing for his job. But then you have to squeegee. I can't remember if he rinsed. I guess I should have paid more attention. :lol: Anyway, we have a standalone shower so, periodically, I will take an old scrubby (what the heck do you call those synthetic mesh things that you use in place of facecloths?) pour a bit of liquid soap in it, then lather up and use it to clean the glass and ceramic walls while I'm still in the shower. Then I use the hand shower to rinse it off. In between I spray on Arm & Hammer shower cleaner. You spray from the bottom up. It really does help to keep the shower clean between cleanings.

I always use a squeegee to clean windows - with soapy water, just a teeny bit of soap, then i do it again with clean water if I feel like it (it's not really necessary)

Oh I was told by one of my former co-workers that if you have a baked-on mess in your casserole dish or roasting pan to let it soak with warm water and put a dryer sheet (bounce) in it. I tried it and it works like a charm! Other than doing dishes, thank goodness for dishwashers! I hate cleaning, hence a previous thread, i would definitely hire a housekeeper!

ok this got my attention, I feakin HATE cleaning roast pans, but alas am a Sunday roast freak so it must be done!

how long is it left in the roasting pan with the warm water???

:thumbs:

edited to add, I just usually spray a little oven cleaner on the rough spots, but would rather not mess with the chemicals..

It loosens all the baked-on #######. I usually let it soak for 15-30 minutes, depending on how long it takes to loosen all of it.

AOS

Sent- 10-21-09

Tracking says Delivered by USPS-10-23-09

Check cashed-10-30-09 (MSC case # on back)

NOA 1 date-10-29-09 (Received Date 10-23-09)

Hard copy NOA - 11-02-09

Touch- 11-03-09

Received bio appt letter-11-07-09(dated 11-03-09)

Bio appt- 11-19-09

Transfer to CSC-11-18-09

Touch on 485/765- 11-19-09

Touch on 485/765- 11-20-09

Hard copy of transfer to CSC- 11-23-09

Touch on 485- 11-24-09 (now processing @ CSC email)

Touch on 485- 11-25-09

Touch on 485- 11-27-09

Touch on 485- 11-30-09

Touch on 485- 12-01-09

Touch on 485- 12-02-09

Touch on 485- 12-03-09

EAD/AP approved-12-18-09

EAD/AP touch- 12-21-09

GC APPROVED!!- 12-21-09

Notice mailed welcoming PR-12-21-09

2nd Card Production ordered email-12-22-09

Approval notice sent-12-28-09

GC arrived in the mail-01-05-10

Done with USCIS until September 14, 2011!!

ROC

Sent: 09-14-11

Received: 09-16-11

Check cashed: 09-21-11

y7nv8l5t.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

My Dad just sent me his favourite cleaning tip so I thought I would share it with you . . .

Always keep several get well cards on the mantle...

so if unexpected guests arrive, they will think you've been sick

and unable to clean

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
My Dad just sent me his favourite cleaning tip so I thought I would share it with you . . .

and unable to clean

:lol: love it!

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

and unable to clean

:idea:

Edited by charles!

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

and unable to clean

:lol:

I like his style.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.