JenT

The Cake Smoosh

34 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: England
Timeline

:no: Nah, I've always found it silly...and it would have been even more out of place in England, since it's not a tradition they have. We did give each other a bite of the cake though. :yes:

We also didn't do the wedding bouquet or garter tosses....instead we decided to honor the longest married couple by giving the wife a smaller version of my bouquet and the husband a small bottle of champagne.

Co-Founder of VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse -

31 Dec 2003 MARRIED
26 Jan 2004 Filed I130; 23 May 2005 Received Visa
30 Jun 2005 Arrived at Chicago POE
02 Apr 2007 Filed I751; 22 May 2008 Received 10-yr green card
14 Jul 2012 Citizenship Oath Ceremony

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We did it, under loud cheering from the family "shove it up, shove it up!!!!" :lol:

:o they were saying ."shove it up" :P

yeah , this is TX y'know :blush::D:lol::whistle:

Entry in the USA: May 13 2005

10 yr GC approved: October 5 2007

Filed: Other Country: India
Timeline

We didn't smash the cake...plus, Sujeet's 1st American wedding experience was ours so he had no idea that people even do that. Indian weddings are very different than ours.

I didn't wear a garter, didn't see the point of it. Even if I was wearing one, there'd be NO WAY we'd do the whole show of taking it off weirdly at our wedding. :P I wore Indian clothes anyway. I did throw a bouquet though! My sister caught it, but she was not the next one who got married. :lol:

Edited by stina&suj

Married since 9-18-04(All K1 visa & GC details in timeline.)

Ishu tum he mere Prabhu:::Jesus you are my Lord

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Serbia
Timeline
Ok, so I'm watching TLC while sipping my wine and the program is about 'Wild Weddings'. Can someone explain the 'tradition' that some couples adopt of smooshing cake in each other's faces? Yeah, it's cute. Yeah it cuts the tension... but c'mon.

Thoughts anyone?

Yeah... I find that to be weird as well. I mean, what are you supposed to do at that point?? Stay messy and sticky throughout the wedding? Go and clean up??

February 1, 2006 - Married in Brooklyn, NY

February 7, 2006 - I-485, I-130, I-131, I-765 Filed

February 18, 2006 - NOA for I-485, I-130, I-131, I-765

March 16, 2006 - Biometrics for I-765, I-485

March 16, 2006 - I-131, I-130 touched

March 18, 2006 - I-765, I-485 touched

March 18, 2006 - RFE for I-485

March 20, 2006 - I-485 touched

March 27, 2006 - RFE sent out

March 31, 2006 - USCIS received the RFE

April 3, 2006 - I-485 touched

April 5, 2006 - I-485 touched

April 6, 2006 - I-485 touched

April 19, 2006 - AP approved

April 24, 2006 - AP received in the mail

April 22, 2006 - EAD touched

April 24, 2006 - EAD approved

April 29, 2006 - EAD received in the mail

May 15, 2006 - Interview letter received

July 12, 2006 - Interview

July 12, 2006 - APPROVED!!!!

August 14, 2006 - Welcome to the US letter and I-130 approval received in the mail

August 15, 2006 - Permanent Resident Card received in the mail

So far so good

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Always strikes me as an odd "tradition" - for one, it's messy and most people pay good money for dresses and tuxes and the like, and secondly, smooshing not eating is a waste of good cake IMHO!!

:lol:

Make sure you're wearing clean knickers. You never know when you'll be run over by a bus.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

We didn't have a wedding cake :crying: Still waiting on that reception :whistle: maybe we'll get around to it in time for our 5th wedding anniversary. But then, can one really smoosh cheesecake, cause that's definately what we're oging to have.

Wedding_Display_57.JPG

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
omG never...seriously there'd be no wedding booty...NONE

No cake smooshing for us. We just fed it to each other, and I dabbed a bit of frosting on Aidan's nose. It was cute. :luv:

that sounds like a very good alternative. i'm not gonna do the cake smoosh, i think it's disrespectful to one's partner and plus....nessa will kick my butt :blush:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

:o I have never heard of it before :huh:

Just as well we aren't having cake!

omG never...seriously there'd be no wedding booty...NONE

No cake smooshing for us. We just fed it to each other, and I dabbed a bit of frosting on Aidan's nose. It was cute. :luv:

that sounds like a very good alternative. i'm not gonna do the cake smoosh, i think it's disrespectful to one's partner and plus....nessa will kick my butt :blush:

I agree, I've always thought it was incrediby disrepectful. Have you seen some of those videos? smearing it around on each other's faces... trying to "get" the other person good. As Gemma pointed out, some brides have gotten nose-bleeds from it. Way to start your married life together: giving your wife a bloody nose.

Besides that, it's just plain tacky.

I'd rather do something completely non-traditional... like get married in an airplane and then jump out. yeah, there's a chance for a nose-bleed with that, but it wont be because we're trying to hurt each other, or make the other person look bad.

Interesting replies... I expected both ends of the spectrum, of course. After posting this, I asked David about it.... he shares the same opinion as I... there are other ways to have fun at one's reception. We're not planning a big to-do, but when brides do, and spend a fortune on hair, makeup, and the dress, not to mention all of the other little details that one tries so hard to 'control', why spoil that with a wad of sugar and flour smooshed all over the place?

We are planning to have Black Forest Cake as our wedding cake, seeing as how we met in the Black Forest area. Seems appropos...

8-30-05 Met David at a restaurant in Germany

3-28-06 David 'officially' proposed

4-26-06 I-129F mailed

9-25-06 Interview: APPROVED!

10-16-06 Flt to US, POE Detroit

11-5-06 Married

7-2-07 Green card received

9-12-08 Filed for divorce

12-5-08 Court hearing - divorce final

A great marriage is not when the "perfect couple" comes together.

It is when an imperfect couple learns to enjoy their differences.

I hate that "tradition" and was glad G. had never heard of it. We fed each other a bite of cake politely.

I have friends who got married who each stuck their pinky fingers in the icing then touched each other's faces (he put it on her cheek, she put it on the tip of his nose) and that was kind of cute, but I still prefer the old-fashioned cake-feeding a million times over!

Bethany (NJ, USA) & Gareth (Scotland, UK)

-----------------------------------------------

01 Nov 2007: N-400 FedEx'd to TSC

05 Nov 2007: NOA-1 Date

28 Dec 2007: Check cashed

05 Jan 2008: NOA-1 Received

02 Feb 2008: Biometrics notice received

23 Feb 2008: Biometrics at Albuquerque ASC

12 Jun 2008: Interview letter received

12 Aug 2008: Interview at Albuquerque DO--PASSED!

15 Aug 2008: Oath Ceremony

-----------------------------------------------

Any information, opinions, etc., given by me are based entirely on personal experience, observations, research common sense, and an insanely accurate memory; and are not in any way meant to constitute (1) legal advice nor (2) the official policies/advice of my employer.

:no::no::no:

My mom threatened to kill James if he did it! I think it's tacky - you've probably paid a LOT of money for that makeup and dress and you don't want to ruin it! A little icing on the nose is cute but I'm not into the cake smashing.

Naturalization

=======================================

02/02/2015 - Filed Dallas lockbox. Atlanta office.

02/13/2015 - NOA received

03/10/2015 - Biometrics

03/12/2015 - In-Line for Interview

04/09/2015 - E-notification for Interview Letter

05/18/2015 - Interview - passed!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Now don't get offended, y'all. I can understand the pressure to smoosh, seeing as how it rarely fails to delight the assembled gathering.

That said, no way are D and I smooshing. First of all, we wouldn't do anything like that in real life. If we were feeding cake to each other, we would do it properly and as neatly as possible. If one of us said to the other "wanna play with our food and make a mess?" then that would be different, of course.

We also just don't like the marital hostility implied by the gesture. We feel the same way about the smoosh that we do about those awful cake-toppers featuring the groom trying to run away and the bride dragging him to the church door by his collar: plenty of people find them hilarious, and they aren't an appropriate decoration for a wedding cake (or thing to do with a wedding cake, in the case of the smoosh). But maybe we're just no fun. :whistle:

As for the other traditional reception antics, tossing the bouquet is sweet but I'm carrying a silk fan instead of a bouquet, and I could put someone's eye out if I threw that. When it comes to throwing the garter, the very idea of hitching up the smart 1930s-style wedding gown made by my mother, removing one of my undergarments in public, then tossing it to a group of gentlemen guests horrified my fiance. He's just like that. I love him. :luv:

I am not a practicing attorney. I have a law degree and I passed the bar exam, but am not admitted to practice because I got a job in legal publishing and haven't gotten around to applying for my license yet. Publishing is great, but it does not make you qualified to give legal advice. So I don't. I just want to get married to my fella, which is why I'm here! If you need legal help, seek the advice of a licensed attorney.

Timeline of the Tigre

September 2004 - Tigre meets Dan while prowling about aimlessly

December 2004 - Dan visits Tigreland, USA

May 2005 - Tigre goes to England, Dan pops the question!

December 2005 - Christmas in England with Tigre and Dan

May 19th 2006 - Dan and Tigre's K1 petition received by VSC

May 25th 2006 - NOA1 issued...we're on our way!

June 20 2006 - RFE sent by VSC

June 26 2006 - RFE returned Express to VSC

July 10 2006 - NOA2...let's go check out the NVC!

July 17 2006 - email from NVC--case was sent to London!

July 21 2006 - Dan, meet Packet 3!

August 4, 2006 - Packet 3 returned

August 16, 2006 - sassy Tigre emails the embassy "just making sure the packet got there"

August 17, 2006 - Embassy e-mails back: Packet 4 is on its way!

Medical: August 24

Interview: September 15