21 posts in this topic

My wife just had her biometrics this morning. We then went to my bank and attemped to get her a bank account and her name on my current account. the bank refused because her passport is in her madien name. So we went to the state Dept. of Motor Vehicles (DVM) (whom issues state Id's) and was refused because she did not have any residency proof like a utility bill or bank statement in her name from the bank. I brought to the DMV her passport, marriage license, social security card, the dept of homeland security letter which was stamped this morning when she completed her biometrics but the DVM said she has to wait untiol she receives her EAD certificate in order to be issued a state ID.

The bank wants an official ID in her married name and the DMV wants a bank statement!!! What a "Circle Jerk" the state of Souith Carolia has!!! I guess we have to wait on the EAD approval beforer she can get an ID or bank account. Talk about being stuck between a rock and a hard place!!!

can any others out their share their experiences in getting an official ID and bank account in your wife's name?

Thanks and I thought the CFO experiewnce was the last bunch of bull ####### in this process!!

I hate to think what the "removal of conditions AOS will be like in 2 years from now!! People are being put through all kinds of ####### truying to immigrate the legal way and the govt. has al these rules that do not mesh. Maybe that is one reason why the USA has so many illegal immigrants!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ethiopia
Timeline

Maybe you should take your marriage license along with the passport to the bank.

For the DMV, they just want mail in her name. The bank statement an example of one thing that will meet that requirement. For my hubby we scheduled comcast service (online) in his name and received a confirmation e-mail, which listed his name and address. I also had hubby's NOA & envelope which had his name & address, and I ordered a few transit tickets online that came via post in both our names. They were satisfied with the comast e-mail.

Our DMV gave us a hard time about ID. We needed 3 forms of ID (since he wasn't as USC) to get a state ID. I thought that the NOA& Biometrics for AOS, AP, and EAD would count as three separate IDs-wrong...they counted it as one since they were all from USCSIS. His passport and Birth Certificate counted as the other two.

Edited by reeses16

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Bermuda
Timeline

I was added to my husband's bank account soon after we married. They were content with my passport and my marriage certificate. I didn't even have my SSN yet but I didn't give it to them as soon as I had it.

Here in Georgia, I couldn't get a driver's license or state ID until I had me EAD or greencard either. In fact, I've got my driver's test coming up on Thursday. :o

~ Catherine

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

try going to other branch of your bank then present her passport and your marriage license. I did not have problem with my bank with regards to this. DMV is a jerk though! I also experienced being refused to take driver's test because I didn't have yet my EAD. I am not sure what they are looking for the State ID though. It seems that immigration process and DMV are not in a rhythm. One should correct such disagreement!!!

Eternally destined,

Angel&Saint

MY K1 TIMELINE

AOS

CIS Office : Chicago IL

Date Filed : 2009-02-04

NOA Date : 2009-02-06

Bio. Appt. : 2009-03-03

Interview Date : 2009-05-19

Approved :2009-05-19

Got I551 Stamp : yes

Greencard Received:2009-06-26

EAD

CIS Office : Chicago IL

Filing Method : Mail

Filing Instance : First

Date Filed : 2009-02-04

NOA Date : 2009-02-06

Bio. Appt. : 2009-03-03

Approved Date : 2009-04-01

Date Card Received :2009-04-13

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

My wife just had her biometrics this morning. We then went to my bank and attemped to get her a bank account and her name on my current account. the bank refused because her passport is in her madien name. So we went to the state Dept. of Motor Vehicles (DVM) (whom issues state Id's) and was refused because she did not have any residency proof like a utility bill or bank statement in her name from the bank. I brought to the DMV her passport, marriage license, social security card, the dept of homeland security letter which was stamped this morning when she completed her biometrics but the DVM said she has to wait untiol she receives her EAD certificate in order to be issued a state ID.

The bank wants an official ID in her married name and the DMV wants a bank statement!!! What a "Circle Jerk" the state of Souith Carolia has!!! I guess we have to wait on the EAD approval beforer she can get an ID or bank account. Talk about being stuck between a rock and a hard place!!!

can any others out their share their experiences in getting an official ID and bank account in your wife's name?

Thanks and I thought the CFO experiewnce was the last bunch of bull ####### in this process!!

I hate to think what the "removal of conditions AOS will be like in 2 years from now!! People are being put through all kinds of ####### truying to immigrate the legal way and the govt. has al these rules that do not mesh. Maybe that is one reason why the USA has so many illegal immigrants!!

[/quot

it happen to me also, it was so hard to get a state I, but thanks god when my husband and I went to the bank to open an account, there's no problem, as soon as they check the account of my husband they approved me right away to open a new checking account and a credit card.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Moldova
Timeline

was easy for me... i just had to bring a bunch of documents to get the state id...at the bank i just got the state id and thats all...

GOD is Good,GOD is Great,GOD is Awesome!

*K1*(process time 7months & 13days)*

12.11.2007 -Filed I-129F

07.24.2008 -VISA interview. APPROVED!!!

*AOS*(process time 7months & 5days)*

11.26.2008 -Filed AOS,EAD,AP

02.09.2009- AP Received

03.20.2009-EAD Received

07.09.2009-2Year Green Card Received

*ROC*(process time 3months & 18days)*

04.04.2011-Filed ROC(I-751)

07.28.2011-10 Year GC Received

*NATURALIZATION*(process time 4months & 27days)*

04/02/2014- Filed N-400

07/08/14-Interview (Recommended for Approval)

08/29/2014-Oath Ceremony

as1cCDkFg000010OXNsenwxNjA0emx8V2UgaGF2Z

It`s a Catch 22 with everything, isn`t it? They refused to issue me a State ID without a social security card in my new married name. And the Social Security office refused to change my name on the card without a State ID!!!! How funny is that? and it gets more and more ridiculous from state to state!

I didn`t have any problems opening a bank account with my passport in my maiden name and our marriage license. You could try Bank of America. Or just wait a little bit before you get EAD. And then get everything done.

Good luck!

Edited by Septembergold

Sometime in 11/2006 --- Met online

09/26/2008 --- Got married

04/03/2009 --- AOS package sent

07/13/2009 --- Interview in Detroit,MI. Approved!!!

07/25/2009 --- GC received! Total: 3 months 12 days from NOA1 to GC mailboxhappy.gif

05/17/2011 --- ROC package sent

05/25/2011 --- NOA1 received

06/27/2011 --- Biometrics

10/17/2011 --- Approved! confetti.gif

10/21/2011 --- Received Permanent GC

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Stop shoveling ####### into the tide! This name change thing is always a problem until you have the green card. (even the EAD does not always work)

Go BACK to the bank and add her to the account in her MAIDEN name. Then when she has her green card go back and change it. No problem.

Same for DMV. Use her name as in her pasport until you have the green card and your problems will vanish!

My wife did not change her name, we had her SSN 16 hours after she arrived, she was added to the bank account the next business day and she had her drivers license before her green card. ALL in her name exactly like her passport. If she wanted to change her name, now we could very easily.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Im so sorry to hear that. But my husband and I was able to open an account right after we got married. Because we needed to deposit the checks that we got from the wedding. They didnt asked for anything just my passport, and my last name on the account was my husband's already. Although I needed to sign a tax stuff paper ( I forgot its name though) But its because i dont have an SSN yet. So they just told me to give them my SSN once I got it. Maybe try some other banks, i think it depends on one's policy.

Mike_Jo-185.jpg032_32.jpgedit-3.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------

03/05/2010 ----- Greencard arrived in mail

03/15/2010 ----- Got a job as an RN! finally.:)

REMINDER: November 22, 2011 (Removing Conditons)

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Romania
Timeline

We opened 3 bank accounts without a problem. We just showed the marriage license and that was it. Didn't you guys take the marriage license to show the name change?

AOS

2009-01-12===> Sent AOS packet via UPS
2009-01-13===> AOS packet received
2009-01-28===> NOA's received in the mail
2009-02-01===> Biometric appt received in the mail
2009-02-06===> Completed biometric appt thru walk-in
2009-02-06===> Applied for expedited AP thru the phone
2009-02-14===> Received AP in the mail
2009-02-11===> Case transferred to CSC
2009-02-23===> EAD received
2009-05-02===> Green card received in the mail, no interview done.

The whole thing, especially with the bank, is a pain in the butt. Our bank wouldn't let me add my husband to the checking account until he had a driver's license. I know that you can get your driver's license once you have your EAD-but here in Texas, if you don't have your actual green card, they give you a license with a great big "TEMPORARY VISITOR" stamped on it. In order to avoid having to do everything twice, we waited until he had his green card to get the DL. So yeah, the whole bank thing was a pain, and took longer than we would have liked. :(

Edited by trillium13
24q38dy.jpg

Maybe you should take your marriage license along with the passport to the bank.

For the DMV, they just want mail in her name. The bank statement an example of one thing that will meet that requirement. For my hubby we scheduled comcast service (online) in his name and received a confirmation e-mail, which listed his name and address. I also had hubby's NOA & envelope which had his name & address, and I ordered a few transit tickets online that came via post in both our names. They were satisfied with the comast e-mail.

Our DMV gave us a hard time about ID. We needed 3 forms of ID (since he wasn't as USC) to get a state ID. I thought that the NOA& Biometrics for AOS, AP, and EAD would count as three separate IDs-wrong...they counted it as one since they were all from USCSIS. His passport and Birth Certificate counted as the other two.

I did take marriage certificate to the bank, a account statement from the water company indicating the water bill is in my bwifes name, all NOA letters and biometric appointment letter, her passport with I-94 also.

We opened 3 bank accounts without a problem. We just showed the marriage license and that was it. Didn't you guys take the marriage license to show the name change?

yes we took the license and the SSN card and NOA letters and passport and Biometrics appointment letter stamped from the appointment for the biometrics.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Romania
Timeline

yes we took the license and the SSN card and NOA letters and passport and Biometrics appointment letter stamped from the appointment for the biometrics.

I would maybe call the 800 customer service number and ask that you just got married, and what are the steps to get your wife in your account; once they tell you that, then you can say, by the way, what if my wife is not a us citizen, but is in the process of getting her green card, and see what they tell tell you. Depending on the answer, go back to a different branch. Honestly, even illegal aliens can get bank accounts nowadays. You might also might look into getting a new bank; we opened an account at citibank, wells fargo, and bank of america and all they asked was marriage certificate and passport.

Edited by ikarus

AOS

2009-01-12===> Sent AOS packet via UPS
2009-01-13===> AOS packet received
2009-01-28===> NOA's received in the mail
2009-02-01===> Biometric appt received in the mail
2009-02-06===> Completed biometric appt thru walk-in
2009-02-06===> Applied for expedited AP thru the phone
2009-02-14===> Received AP in the mail
2009-02-11===> Case transferred to CSC
2009-02-23===> EAD received
2009-05-02===> Green card received in the mail, no interview done.

I don't know which bank you've got but try to open a joint account at "Bank of America"

which is very flexible to deal with.

As of DMV, every state has got different rules. Blame it on 09/11.

GOOD LUCK !.....

"Patience is the key to the paradise (US Citizenship, in our case)"

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.