Koong and John

How to handle questions about wedding at AOS interview

14 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Thailand
Timeline

My wife came here on a K1 Visa and we got legally married by a notary in the U.S. about a month later. However, before we arrived together in the U.S., we had a huge traditional village ceremony in Thailand which was not legally registered there so that we would be in compliance with the K1 requirement to marry in the U.S. We consider the Thailand wedding the real wedding date and the U.S. wedding just a legal formality.

My question is, at the AOS interview they are likely to ask questions about our wedding, honeymoon, etc. How do we handle these questions? Do we show the pictures from the village ceremony as evidence of a bonafide marriage, even though it was before she entered the US? We do have pictures from our legal ceremony in the U.S., along with the written vows we took. Anyone else gotten married in Thaialnd and gone through the same process?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Have you been scheduled for an interview?

Your timeline shows AOS Transfer, if your case is at CSC more than likely you will see an approval without interview.

You can show wedding pics from home country, just in this case it is an "Engagement Party"

Your traditional village ceremony is a marriage. Your wife was no longer eligible to use a K1 visa to enter the US.
Did you read the post??? They are already in the USA larried legally in a courthouse, and are in AOS process.

They HAVE USED THE K-1

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Filed: Country: Thailand
Timeline
Have you been scheduled for an interview?

Your timeline shows AOS Transfer, if your case is at CSC more than likely you will see an approval without interview.

You can show wedding pics from home country, just in this case it is an "Engagement Party"

Your traditional village ceremony is a marriage. Your wife was no longer eligible to use a K1 visa to enter the US.
Did you read the post??? They are already in the USA larried legally in a courthouse, and are in AOS process.

They HAVE USED THE K-1

AOS was transferred to CSC in February and then back to NVC in April. I read that this probably means they determined an interview is necessary, but I havent heard yet. That would be great if there was no interview.

Yes, it was an engagment party indeed.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ethiopia
Timeline

Sorry, OP. I believed it was a wedding, otherwise you wouldn't have been confused about which one constituted evidence of marriage. And then you go on to say, "Anyone else gotten married in Thailand and gone through the same process?" Whatever the case, be clear and consistent during the interview.

Edited by reeses16

Then that's how you answer. State we had an engagement party per the culture in Thailand and a court ceremony here.

Timeline

AOS

Mailed AOS, EAD and AP Sept 11 '07

Recieved NOA1's for all Sept 23 or 24 '07

Bio appt. Oct. 24 '07

EAD/AP approved Nov 26 '07

Got the AP Dec. 3 '07

AOS interview Feb 7th (5 days after the 1 year anniversary of our K1 NOA1!

Stuck in FBI name checks...

Got the GC July '08

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

in case of an interview just dont mention anything about what happened in thailand! just bring pics from the courthouse wedding here and "pretend" this was your wedding! you dont want to raise any red flags!

blackribbonsmall.png

R.I.P Diana

1982 - 2008

K1 Timeline

01/13/2007 Sent I-129F to TSC

05/03/2007 Petition approved!!!

08/23/2007 INTERVIEW

09/12/2007 Frankfurt - JFK - Baltimore, MD

09//28/2007 applied for SSN

10/16/2007 CIVIL MARRIAGE

10/31/2007 SS Card finally arrived

AOS Timeline

11/13/2007 sent AOS package with AP and EAD

12/19/2007 biometrics in baltimore

01/09/2008 AOS transferred to CSC

01/12/2008 CEREMONY & RECEPTION

01/16/2008 EAD and AP in mail

02/14/2008 card production ordered, approved without interview

02/22/2008 GREEN CARD in mail

I751 Timeline

11/19/2009 sent I751 to VSC

11/21/2009 received at VSC

11/24/2009 check cashed

11/30/2009 received NOA dated 11/23/09

12/15/2009 early bio walk-in failed....

12/16/2009 request to reschedule sent

01/04/2010 biometrics in baltimore being rescheduled

01/20/2010 new biometrics

03/24/2010 card production ordered, approved without interview

03/29/2010 10 year GC in mail

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Wrong! If it was not registered with the Amphur, it is not a legal marriage in Thailand or anywhere else.

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Bangkok, Thailand

Marriage : 2006-11-08

I-130 Sent : 2008-02-22

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-03-10

I-129F Sent : 2008-04-08

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-04-14

I-129F touched: 2008-05-06

I-130 touched: 2008-05-09

I-129F approved 2008-09-05

I-130 approved 2008-09-05

NVC received 2008-09-12

Pay I-864 2008-10-08

Pay IV bill 2008-10-08

Receive Instruction 2008-11-05

Case Complete 2008-11-18

Medical 2009-01-19/20 passed

Receive Pkt 4 2009-01-30

Interview 221g 2009-02-23

Second interview 2009-03-02 Approved

POE DFW 2009-03-07

Received SS card 2009-03-17

Received GC 2009-04-01

Done for 3 years or 10 years. Haven't decided yet.

(I'm going for the IR-1 and blowing off the K-3. Even if it takes an extra couple months, it's worth it to not have to deal with USCIS again)

"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Note:

Please fill out I-130, wait 6 months for approval, then 3 more months for an interview. (Unless of course we've bombed your country into the stone age, then you qualify for expedited processing.)

Welcome to the USA!!!

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

a traditional village ceremony is NOT legally recognized as a marriage and is only intended to bring merit and blessings to the couple. My wife and me did the same thing. That said ,it still cost as much as a wedding!!!

Edited by John & Nan

I'd be willing to bet that if they mention this wedding ceremony at their interview, they will have problems, whether it was technically legal or not. If they use the word "wedding" it may be disasterous. As much as we should be advising them to lie, they should not mention ANYTHING about this ceremony that took place.

I can't remember the exact details, but there was a couple last year who showed pictures of their non-legal wedding ceremony and had a ton of problems. Maybe somebody has time to look for it.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
I'd be willing to bet that if they mention this wedding ceremony at their interview, they will have problems, whether it was technically legal or not. If they use the word "wedding" it may be disasterous. As much as we should be advising them to lie, they should not mention ANYTHING about this ceremony that took place.

I can't remember the exact details, but there was a couple last year who showed pictures of their non-legal wedding ceremony and had a ton of problems. Maybe somebody has time to look for it.

Oh I agree I would not show the pictures of it also. For me it does not matter we are going to at K3!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
My wife came here on a K1 Visa and we got legally married by a notary in the U.S. about a month later. However, before we arrived together in the U.S., we had a huge traditional village ceremony in Thailand which was not legally registered there so that we would be in compliance with the K1 requirement to marry in the U.S. We consider the Thailand wedding the real wedding date and the U.S. wedding just a legal formality.

My question is, at the AOS interview they are likely to ask questions about our wedding, honeymoon, etc. How do we handle these questions? Do we show the pictures from the village ceremony as evidence of a bonafide marriage, even though it was before she entered the US? We do have pictures from our legal ceremony in the U.S., along with the written vows we took. Anyone else gotten married in Thaialnd and gone through the same process?

We were never asked any such questions. We got married on the front lawn by a neighbor who is a JP.

NO, do not mention the foreign ceremony as a legitimate wedding, it voids the K-1!!!!!!! Your legal wedding is just what you say, you have a marriage certificate, yes? What's the problem? There is no requirement for anything but a LEGAL wedding. You do not have to go on a honeymoon. Tell them you got married at the "notary" (never heard of that, but hey, if it is legal, it is legal) and you had no honeymoon. No problem.

YOU can choose to recognize any ceremony you want, but if the traditional thing was a legal marriage it voids the K-1 and back she goes while you do a CR-1 visa. That is IF they don't charge you with fraud!

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

When you show the picture of your tradtional marriage, they will know that you are married but it doesn't prove the bona fide married relation. USCIS doesn't count the date you registered your marriage but the one you married on according to your tradations. And to prove that you have ongoing relationship untill the Time of AOS interview, you have to show the joint account on both of your name. Any credit card. House leasing papers on both names. pictures taken together in cermonies, hanging out together, on any occasioin etc etc.

These stuffs basically show the one bona fide married life

My best opinion is, when it comes to AOS Interview, dont leave any chances, take everything but show that's being asked.

AOS Transferred to CSC.......................August 4th 2009

AP/EAD Approval Notice appeared....August 21st 2009

AP/EAD received in mails.................... 08/27/09, 08/31/09

AOS at CSC.............................................Pending

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.