BermyCat

Getting a Georgia driver's license

15 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Bermuda
Timeline

Now that I have my green card, it's time to trade in my foreign driver's license for a Georgia one.

I've read that I have to do the written and road tests. Does anyone know if I can still drive on my foreign license between the two? Is it possible to do both tests in one day? Lastly, my husband thinks that the road test might not be on the road at all but in the DMV parking lot. Is that true?

Thanks in advance,

Catherine

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi Catherine,

When I did my Georgia Driver's License, it started with the computerized written exam - pretty easy. Then they did the eye exam, and then the driving exam. I was using my Canadian Driver's License at the time to drive around as well as to drive to the facility. The driving exam started with a complete walk around of the car by the examiner who had me test lights and turn signals before she got into the car. The first part of the driving exam was in a blocked off section of their parking lot. They had you drive forward, reverse and back up in a straight line, and then parallel part between highway construction cones (that was difficult because you can't see where the cones are - you have to guess!). The second part of the driving test was actually on the back roads around the driving facility so you do get out into the local streets.

Study the specifics about Georgia regulations - within how many days to you need to change a license if you are out of state, etc. - as there were several questions about that on the written. There was also a part that was just about road signs. If you are an experienced driver and read the manual you shouldn't have any problems.

I went originally to the Forest Park facility - it was incredibly crowded and a long wait - I think the whole process took a good part of a day waiting for each stage, so go early. I have since gone to the Locust Grove facility and that has been a breeze - virtually no waiting and lots of room. I think a lot of the Atlanta drivers go to the Forest Park facility. You might want to see what other facilities are available close to you.

Good luck!

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Now that I have my green card, it's time to trade in my foreign driver's license for a Georgia one.

I've read that I have to do the written and road tests. Does anyone know if I can still drive on my foreign license between the two? Is it possible to do both tests in one day? Lastly, my husband thinks that the road test might not be on the road at all but in the DMV parking lot. Is that true?

Thanks in advance,

Catherine

I didn't actually read this entire thing, but hope it helps...

http://www.dds.ga.gov/drivers/DLdata.aspx?...71440&ty=dl

Here in Texas you are allowed to drive on an out of country license for a year. Good luck! :)

24q38dy.jpg

Hi Catherine

I took my georgia drivers test in Canton, just north of Atlanta. It a few years since I did it and they were in the middle of changing the rules for immigrants but I remember the test is pretty easy but you do need to know the local laws, The examiner was a little difficult to understand but she was very impressed with my parrallel parking .good luck

Mark

Edited by marknir

and if you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......

I HOPE YOU DANCE

june 11 - 129f sent

june 16 - NOA1

august 20-NOA2

september 16-recieved pkt3

september 28- returned pkt3

Sent several emails to embassy asking when was interview date

Novemmber 2- email confirming 19th Nov as interview date

November 2- embassy posted packet 4 but it never arrived

November 10- rang embassy

November 11- finally recieved packet 4

November 19- APPROVED

November 23-recieved visa

december 31 2004 arrived in atlanta

January 7 we got married

January 14 applied for ssn, not in system

January 28 still not in system

Febury 8 sent off aos and ead

Febuary 11 recieved in chicago

febuary 11 in ssa system

Febuary 19 recieve ssn

March 1 NOA for EAD arrived

March 2 NOA for AOS arrived

March 5 biometrics and fingerprint appointment

March 23 got drivers license

March 31 EAD approved on line

April 7 EAD card arrived

April 10 Got a job!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Octobe 13 case transferred to csc(aos)

December 24 RFE

January 19 AOS APPROVED

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Sweden
Timeline

My experience in Norcross was just like Kathryn41 described a piece of cake. The place was jam packed though so it took a few hours to get everything done. You might want to bring a pen with you for filling out the paperwork as they seem to always be out of those.

If you have a conditional gc they will only issue the drivers license for a year. When you go back to have it renewed you will get an extension until your temporary gc expires.

If you have a drivers license from another country they will take it away from you once you are approved for a U.S. license. I still wish I had left my Swedish drivers license at home that day....

05-02-2004 Met in Östersund, Sweden
09-07-2007 Got married in Eden Gardens State Park, Santa Rosa Beach, FL

*************************************************************************************************

AOS

11-02-2007 - Filed

03-14-2008 - Green Card received

*************************************************************************************************

Lifting of Conditions

02-08-2010 - Filed

06-21-2010 - Green Card received

N-400

06-24-2017 - N-400 package sent via EFile

06-24-2017 - Payment received via credit card

07-01-2017 - Appointment notice received

07-19-2017 - Biometrics appointment in Atlanta, GA

08-04-2017 - Case updated. Interview scheduled. 

"Whither thou goest I will go, whither thou lodgest I will lodge,
Thy people shall be my people, And thy God my God." ~ Ruth 1:16

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
The first part of the driving exam was in a blocked off section of their parking lot. They had you drive forward, reverse and back up in a straight line, and then parallel part between highway construction cones (that was difficult because you can't see where the cones are - you have to guess!).

They made the georgia test harder now. My wife had to do a 90% in reverse and fit in a "parking space" in between some narrow cones. I had to do a few times myself before I could it do without touching a cone.

David & Lalai

th_ourweddingscrapbook-1.jpg

aneska1-3-1-1.gif

Greencard Received Date: July 3, 2009

Lifting of Conditions : March 18, 2011

I-751 Application Sent: April 23, 2011

Biometrics: June 9, 2011

Timeline

I just realized I had a typing mistake - yes that was parallel park not part - fit into a parking space with the cones - and I hated trying to do that! You can't see where the cones are so you have to try and guess which is much more difficult than trying to park between parked cars - at least you can see where the cars are! I felt that part of the test wasn't very fair, actually. Hehehe, it is also the only part of the test that I lost points on - I scored a 97% overall. I also remember that at the first of the test you had to drive forward going left and right around several cones as well, and then do the back up. Didn't have to do a 90 degree back up, but had to go straight from the long back up into the parallel parking which made it even more difficult to see those bloody cones! I didn't knock any over but I was miles too far from the 'edge'.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

Filed: Country: South Africa
Timeline

Just a heads up: you have to turn over your driver's license if you hold one from another country. When you complete the application form, one of the questions is if you have ever held a driver's license. If you have left it in your home country or lost it (as I did), you will be required to contact the DMV in your home country and they have to fax / post your driver's history to the DMV in Georgia, a real pain in the butt.

It does seem unfair to me that one has to turn over your driver's licence AND still take both the tests. Also, you will pay for a driver's license that is good for the duration of your CGC. I have just renewed my driver's license with my expired CGC and extension letter, paid another $20 and it has been extended for one more year. Next year it will be yet another $20 but this time for 5 years (fingers crossed the I-751 is all wrapped up).

Check out the website as it provides free study material for the computerised test.

GA Department of Driver Services

03-03-09 I-751 mailed to VSC

03-06-09 I-751 received at VSC

03-10-09 Check cashed

03-26-09 NOA1 received

03-30-09 Biometrics Appointment Notice

04-03-09 Can 'see' my case online USCIS

04-15-09 Biometrics Date ~ completed successfully in Atlanta

04-16-09 Touched

07-13-09 Waiting for something, anything...

07-31-09 Received my SECOND biometrics notice ...wth?

08-22-09 Second Biometrics Date ~ completed successfully in Atlanta: picture only this time

08-24-09 Touched

08-25-09 Touched

09-14-09 Received my THIRD biometrics notice

09-26-09 Will try a 'walk-in' in Atlanta ~ successful: picture only, again

09-28-09 Touched

09-29-09 Touched

09-30-09 Third Biometrics Date

12-02-09 Called USCIS: case still being processed

02-08-10 Waiting...

02-19-10 Called USCIS: Completed a service request based on my case being outside processing time

03-05-10 Info Pass scheduled in Atlanta for extension stamp in passport

03-10-10 E-mail received: Card production ordered - I can't believe it, finally! (Time = 1 year & 1 week)

03-23-10 10 Year Green Card Received

02-19-10 Eligible to file N-400

02-28-10 N-400 mailed to Texas

03-04-10 N-400 received in Texas

04-07-10 Biometrics

06-04-10 Service request

07-21-10 Interview & Oath Ceremony same day in Atlanta - Visa Journey over!

• 1 month later...
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: New Zealand
Timeline
Just a heads up: you have to turn over your driver's license if you hold one from another country. When you complete the application form, one of the questions is if you have ever held a driver's license. If you have left it in your home country or lost it (as I did), you will be required to contact the DMV in your home country and they have to fax / post your driver's history to the DMV in Georgia, a real pain in the butt.

It does seem unfair to me that one has to turn over your driver's licence AND still take both the tests. Also, you will pay for a driver's license that is good for the duration of your CGC. I have just renewed my driver's license with my expired CGC and extension letter, paid another $20 and it has been extended for one more year. Next year it will be yet another $20 but this time for 5 years (fingers crossed the I-751 is all wrapped up).

Check out the website as it provides free study material for the computerised test.

OMG are you serious!!!!! :o

I'm in AR and I have no idea if they do that here but I have absolutely no intention of handing over my NZ drivers license, what am I supposed to use when I go back home for a holiday. They must be mad!!!! :wacko:

Our Timeline

AOS

February 23rd 2009 AOS sent in

March 7th 2009 NOA1 Received for EAD & AP

March 9th 2009 NOA1 Received for I-485 & Biometric Apt

March 17th 2009 RFE for Tax & Employment evidence

March 20th 2009 Biometric Apt

March 27th 2009 Sent back RFE

May 7th 2009 Called to give them a rev up!!

June 8th 2009 Still nothing!!!! - put in a service request for EAP & AP

June 10th 2009 Case status finally avaiable online for EAD & AP

June 10th 2009 EAD card production ordered

June 10th 2009 AP approval notice sent

FUNNY WHAT A PHONE CALL WILL DO.......

June 16th 2009 AP Received In mail!!!

June 17th 2009 EAD card production status changed to 17th June

June 19th 2009 EAD Mailed out

June 22nd 2009 EAD Received in mail!!!

July 14th 2009 I-485 finally online and transfered to California!!!!!

July 22nd 2009 Touch

July 31st 2009 Touch

August 3rd 2009 Touch

August 13th 2009 GC Card Production Ordered

August 17th 2009 Received "Welcome to the U.S." letter

August 22nd 2009 Received Green Card in the mail

June 6th 2011 ROC package sent off to VSC

June 13th 2011 NOA1 Letter

July 28th 2011 Biometrics

February 28th 2012 10yr GC Approval Letter

Timeline

Actually, when you go to renew your license next year after your I-751 is approved, you won't get a 5 year license - only a 3 year license. That is all they will allow for a non-citizen even if your proof of immigrant status is for a longer time. I just renewed mine this Spring and it is only for 3 years even though I have a 10 year green card. Oh well, next time as a citizen I can get it renewed for 10 years or some ridiculous amount like that.

• 10 months later...
Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline

This thread is kinda old, but I figured I'd bump it back up and ask this.

Did any of you have experiences in GA AFTER Jan 1, 2009. We have the DMV book here with us and it says,

"Effective January 1, 2009, most non-citizen customers with valid out of country driver's license, permit, or ID may retian their out of country document upon issuance of a GA-equivalent document."

We would really hate to give over his Brazilian license! They are so expensive to get. I guess theoretically it doesn't matter as his American one would be valid here, but still!

If anyone has gotten a GA license recently, I'd love to hear details!

N-400 Naturalization Process

June 25, 2013 --Qualified for Citizenship!

October 12, 2017 --Electronically filed

October 13, 2017 --NOA1

October 31, 2017 --Biometrics Appointment -ATL

ROC

April 5, 2012 --Sent I-751 to Vermont Service Center

May 21, 2012 --Biometric Appointment at ATL office

December 12, 2012 --10 year Green Card in hand

DCF Process

October 10, 2009 --Married in São Paulo

January 14, 2010 --Filed I-130 at São Paulo Consulate for DCF

May 17, 2010 --VISA IN HAND!

June 24, 2010 --POE in Atlanta

Timeline

http://www.dds.ga.gov/drivers/DLdata.aspx?con=1747371440&ty=dl

I found this website link and it has a lot of good information. However, it DOES say that the licenses are RETURNED to you. As I posted above, this might be a new thing as of 2009 or something. Anyway, I guess I'll print this out and bring it with us on the day if they try to keep the license!

Also, it says that we must translate the license with one of their translators. It says he can use his foreign license to drive for 1 year in GA (assuming he's not a resident, and he's not really a resident until we got the SSN in my opinion. Anyway, does anyone know if he can drive around with his Brazilian license UNTRANSLATED for that year, or if we need to get it translated before in case he is stopped. Or, alternatively, I can translate and get the translations notarized. That wouldn't work for the DMV, but would it be enough for the cops if he was stopped during this strange period where he is without SSN and therefore unable to apply for a GA license?

Confused.

October 13, 2017 --NOA1

ROC

DCF Process

Timeline

http://www.dds.ga.go...747371440&ty=dl

I found this website link and it has a lot of good information. However, it DOES say that the licenses are RETURNED to you. As I posted above, this might be a new thing as of 2009 or something. Anyway, I guess I'll print this out and bring it with us on the day if they try to keep the license!

Also, it says that we must translate the license with one of their translators. It says he can use his foreign license to drive for 1 year in GA (assuming he's not a resident, and he's not really a resident until we got the SSN in my opinion. Anyway, does anyone know if he can drive around with his Brazilian license UNTRANSLATED for that year, or if we need to get it translated before in case he is stopped. Or, alternatively, I can translate and get the translations notarized. That wouldn't work for the DMV, but would it be enough for the cops if he was stopped during this strange period where he is without SSN and therefore unable to apply for a GA license?

Confused.

This is a new thing to return the Driver's License. Up until last year the previous driver's license was confiscated. This will be a lot better for new immigrants who may have to wait until their AOS are approved and can get a longer term issued license.

Definitelly get a translation of the DL and carry it with him. If he is stopped by the Police they won't know what the License says or if it is valid without a translation and you want to make it as easy as possible for him if he is stopped. If he is not yet here have him investigate getting an International Driver's License - it is basically a translation of the DL.

Technically, he is a resident of Georgia when that becomes his main address. Having a SSN is irrelevant. It could be argued that until his application is approved by USCIS that his residency is temporary not permanent but again, that may not hold water.

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

Yeah, I agree Kathryn....about his residency. Technically he is a resident as soon as we step off the plan since he has his CR1 visa and I've his wife (according to the DMV he only needs my GA license to prove he's a resident)...but at the same time he CAN'T get a license until his SSN is ready and that might take weeks...so it's really confusing what is exactly the correct course of action!

Here's our plan:

Get his license translated by one of the translators approved on the DMV website ($30)

Have him drive on that until SSN is ready (this will take less than the 1 year of course).

Then once SSN comes get him his GA license.

I'll let you know if they confiscate his Brazilian license or not!

Thanks guys!

October 13, 2017 --NOA1

ROC

DCF Process

• 4 years later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Thankful for this post as I'm a Canadian moving to Georgia in 2 weeks on a K1 visa. I'm just starting to get everything together for the next step in my journey! My daughter turns 16 this August so I will have to make arrangements for her as well.

8/10/2015 - Married

9/15/2015 - Mailed AOS packages

9/16/2015 - USPS Tracking confirms delivery

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.