Kajikit

U.S. Officials Defend Ploys to Catch Immigrants

29 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

U.S. Officials Defend Ploys to Catch Immigrants

By STEVEN GREENHOUSE

Published: February 11, 2006

Despite criticism from advocates for immigrants, federal immigration officials said in recent days that they would not forswear the practice of impersonating occupational safety officials to round up illegal immigrants.

Last July, federal agents arrested 48 workers at Seymour Johnson Air Force Base in North Carolina on charges of being illegal immigrants after the agents tricked the workers into attending what was billed as a mandatory training session sponsored by the federal Occupational Safety and Health Administration.

Afterward, the federal Labor Department, North Carolina officials and immigrant and job safety advocates criticized the ploy. They argued that the sting might cause immigrant workers to distrust safety officials just as the authorities were stepping up efforts to reduce the disproportionately high injury rate among Hispanic workers.

Lawyers for several labor and immigrant groups said yesterday that they were dismayed that when they met with officials at Immigration and Customs Enforcement on Jan. 30, the officials refused to rule out again using a safety-related ruse to lure immigrant workers.

Marielena Hincapié, director of programs at the National Immigration Law Center, said, "They said they would not commit to not doing this anymore, despite the fact that this would have a chilling effect on workers."

Ana Avendano, a lawyer with the A.F.L.-C.I.O., also criticized immigration officials for not providing the assurances that safety advocates were seeking.

"We told them that the population of workers that we're dealing with is suffering the highest mortality rate and highest injury rate on the job," Ms. Avendano said. "If immigration officials are going to use OSHA as a ruse, all they will do is reduce the trust of workers to go to OSHA with concerns about safety problems."

Dean Boyd, a spokesman for Immigration and Customs Enforcement, emphasized that ruses were standard law enforcement policy. "We're not going to rule out valid investigative techniques," he said.

cont. at http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/11/national....html?th&emc=th

Karen - Melbourne, Australia/John - Florida, USA

- Proposal (20 August 2000) to marriage (19 December 2004) - 4 years, 3 months, 25 days (1,578 days)

STAGE 1 - Applying for K1 (15 September 2003) to K1 Approval (13 July 2004) - 9 months, 29 days (303 days)

STAGE 2A - Arriving in US (4 Nov 2004) to AOS Application (16 April 2005) - 5 months, 13 days (164 days)

STAGE 2B - Applying for AOS to GC Approval - 9 months, 4 days (279 days)

STAGE 3 - Lifting Conditions. Filing (19 Dec 2007) to Approval (December 11 2008)

STAGE 4 - CITIZENSHIP (filing under 5-year rule - residency start date on green card Jan 11th, 2006)

*N400 filed December 15, 2011

*Interview March 12, 2012

*Oath Ceremony March 23, 2012.

ALL DONE!!!!!!!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

I have no problem with immigration law enforcement, but it seems wrong to do it under the guise of occupational safety.

09-02-2005 Applications for AOS, EAD, and AP received by MSC

10-21-2005 AOS fingerprint notice for 12-08-2005

11-07-2005 AP approved

12-05-2005 Infopass appt at San Jose office for interim EAD -- Refused, because it is already approved by MSC on 11-07-2005

12-07-2005 Attempt at interim EAD at San Francisco office -- no go. Back to San Jose, where CSO (chief station officer) tells they will contact MSC via email to request permission to issue interim EAD

12-08-2005 Biometrics for AOS and EAD. Having no EAD appt letter was no problem (used EAD NOA)

12-15-2005 EAD arrived in the mail

12-24-2005 Received interview letter; interview scheduled 03-01-2006

01-28-2006 Received replacement SSN card in married name (5 wks since application)

03-01-2006 AOS interview -- approved; received stamp in the passport

03-13-2006 Green card arrived in the mail

---

Filing for removal of conditions

I think law enforcement used to do the same thing with criminals. If you break the law you pay!

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Timeline

Yes, but can they find any other way? What they are doing will discourage people from attending safety orientations.

11-07-2005 AP approved

12-05-2005 Infopass appt at San Jose office for interim EAD -- Refused, because it is already approved by MSC on 11-07-2005

12-07-2005 Attempt at interim EAD at San Francisco office -- no go. Back to San Jose, where CSO (chief station officer) tells they will contact MSC via email to request permission to issue interim EAD

12-08-2005 Biometrics for AOS and EAD. Having no EAD appt letter was no problem (used EAD NOA)

01-28-2006 Received replacement SSN card in married name (5 wks since application)

---

Timeline

These are all one-offs anyway. Until USCIS/whoever goes after the employers, the violations will continue.

11-07-2005 AP approved

---

Filed: Country: Belarus
Timeline

Like most of these stories, they love to distort by writing about "immigrants". This story is not about "immigrants". It is about "illegal aliens". It is about foreign nationals that have entered our country illegally without a visa (most likely) or overstayed a visa (not as likely) and are working illegally here for less than prevailing wages. Which is why these unscrupulous employers so love to hire them.

And it is why these inaccurate stories are written to generate sympathetic propaganda to muddy the waters by lumping legal immigrants and illegal aliens together. Legal immigrants with proper authorization have nothing to fear. And illegal aliens get what they deserve...deportation. Too bad these employers don't get what they really deserve...fines and jail.

You can blame George W. and our US Congress for this chronic joke.

"Credibility in immigration policy can be summed up in one sentence: Those who should get in, get in; those who should be kept out, are kept out; and those who should not be here will be required to leave."

"...for the system to be credible, people actually have to be deported at the end of the process."

US Congresswoman Barbara Jordan (D-TX)

Testimony to the House Immigration Subcommittee, February 24, 1995

Filed: Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Well said peejay,

You do have to remember that illegal aliens became that statis because they either broke the law in the past to be here or are presently breaking the law now. Why should they have rights in this country, according to our laws they should be deported so it seems that someone is lax in doing their job.

idocare

NSC, NOA1 September 26th,03

received NOA1 in mail Oct. 03,03

RFE - received in mail March 29th,04

RFE returned April 17th,04

RFE received April 21,04 at NSC online

NOA2 received April 29th,04 via online

NOA2 received May 03,04 in mail

NVC receives file May 6th,04

NVC sends file to Nigeria May 11th,04

Lagos receives our file, notified thru e-mail May 19th,04

Victor goes and picks up packet #3....May 20th,04

Sent request for earlier interview date via e-mail May 20th,04

May 27th, Lagos won't change date.

August 16th, 2004 fly to Nigeria for Victors interview

August 19th, 2004 Interview date, visa approved.

August 25th, 2004 Victor picks up passport with visa stamp.

August 26th, 2004 fly back to USA

September 18th, 2004 Victor arrives in USA, Lord willing.

October 9th, 2004, we become husband and wife

October 25th, 2004 I learn that I'm pregnant.

Feburary 25th, 2005 AOS Appointment

( went to appt. and requested a reschedule)

June 7th, 05 gave birth to a boy child.

July 5th, 05 Victor packs he suitcase and leaves for good.

July 2005 2nd AOS appointment

( went and requested a reschedule )

August 2005- I file for divorce. and withdraw immigration paperwork.

Washington State/ Nigeria

I totally agree that employers should face stiffer fines and penaliteis for employing illegals.. they employ them, treat them like dirt, give them no benefits, and pay them nothing, and the excuse is always 'without illegals all the prices would be higher' - but how do we KNOW this? Not EVERY business employs illegal workers and they aren't all struggling to survive. What they really mean is their profits would be lower...

Applied for K1

Met online 2001 - just aquaintances

Sept 2002 - 1st US visit - everything goes perfectly.

Dec 20th - Forms recev'd at CSC

Dec 27th - NOA1 received by snail mail!

Dec 29th - 'Touched'

March 10 2006 - NOA2!

March 23 - recv'd at NVC

March 24 - petition sent to London

April 9th - Pkt 3 rec'd!

May 17th - Pkt 3 signed for at London Embassy

May 24th - Medical

May24th - Pkt 4

June 14th - Interview 10am - APPROVED 1pm!!

June 16th - Visas received in my hot little hands 1pm :)

July 19th - flying to US!

July 27th - Married!! :-)

Aug 7th - Applied for SSN in married name

Aug 9th - SSN received

uk.gif1273.gifusa.gif

3dflagsdotcom_uk_2fawm.gif3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawm.gif

I'm not a lawyer I just have opinions on everything :)

animated flags from http://3dflags.com

It would be interesting to hear what OSHA has to say about this tactic. I don't have a problem with deporting illegal immigrants, but I can see how this might have an effect on workplace safety. What the immigration advocates are trying to say is that distrust of OSHA safety among immigrants may lead to serious safety incidents not being reported. The downside of this is that workplace safety might suffer for the illegals and the US citizens working with them, if there was a fear of reporting incidents to OSHA or of participating in safety training.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I don't mind them doing this at all. When my fiance gets here he will have nothing to fear because we have gone about this in the right way. He will be a legal immigrant. Those who are illegal may face more danger, but in the end, they're here illegally anyway. That may sound cold, but it's irritating. Just before I moved from North Carolina a law was passed stating that illegal aliens would be able to get a driver's license. It would be different from the regular drivers license, but basically serving the same purpose. WHAT'S THE POINT?! Once they identify themselves as an illegal alien needing that license, deport them! I get very angry on this subject. There are many hispanics in North Carolina, I grew up with many whose family immigrated legally, but in the area I lived in everyone just lumped them all together as "Wetbacks" and other racist terms.

Sorry, that is a sore subject for me. I'll get down off my soapbox now.

December 12 2005 ~ sent I129F packet to

December 14 2005 ~ Packet Recieved by

December 20 2005 ~ NOA 1

December 29 2005 ~ Touched

March 9 2006 ~ NOA2

April 5 2006 ~ Packet 3 arrives

April 11 2006 ~ Packet 3 returned to London Embassy

June 12 2006 ~ Interview Date (APPROVED!)

June 26 2006 ~ Entered the U.S. under K-1 Visa

July 06 2006 ~ JOP marriage

September 12 2006~ I-485 Received by INS

September 18 2006~ NOA recieved

September 30 2006~ Married

October 3 2006 ~ Biometrics Appointment (Fingerprinted)

November 16, 2006~ RFE reply received ...didn't even know we had an RFE (INS stated that the RFE was

probably sent to the DR. that did our biometrics)

January 17, 2007 ~ CSC is now processing cases received September 25 (11 days after ours was received) :(

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Country: Belarus
Timeline
Sorry, that is a sore subject for me. I'll get down off my soapbox now.

Miranda,

Don't get mad, get pro-active. Right now the Senate Judiciary Commitee is debating putting 2 massive amnesty bills on the floor of the US Senate to let ALL of these illegals that broke the law to enter the USA without a visa to be allowed to stay. Everyone else waits in line to do it right and Big Business pushes its illegal workers to the front of the line ahead of everyone. This is absolutely appalling! More rewards for the illegals and the crooks that employ them in violation of our laws. This is exactly 20 years since the last massive amnesty that was shoved down our throats in the Immigration Reform Control Act of 1986. Ronald Reagan and the US Congress promised that in exchange for an amnesty of illegals in 1986 they would pass legislation to enforce immigration laws and penalize employers that hired illegals in the future. THEY LIED! Just look at the joke we have in 2006 with the millions of illegal aliens everywhere. They lied big time!

Don't be fooled again by more promises and lies. Write your Senator to vote against the Spector / McCain / Kennedy guest worker amnesty bills. It is 1986 all over again. Tell your Senator that you want an "enforcement only" bill from the Senate exactly like the US House's HR4437 bill. Enforcement of the law and no amnesty for scofflaws. Don't let the crooks sneak another amnesty bill under our noses ever again. It is just plain wrong to reward crooks and scofflaws.

How's that for a soapbox!!!

"Credibility in immigration policy can be summed up in one sentence: Those who should get in, get in; those who should be kept out, are kept out; and those who should not be here will be required to leave."

"...for the system to be credible, people actually have to be deported at the end of the process."

US Congresswoman Barbara Jordan (D-TX)

Testimony to the House Immigration Subcommittee, February 24, 1995

• 1 month later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Spain
Timeline

Enforcement is the way to go on this type of illegals. People from Mexico for instace view it as their RIGHT to invade the USA illegally. This is nothing like someone overstaying because they just need to be with a spouse and had a denial. These people may plan for years to illegally enter the USA and to then bring their entire family, friends, purely with the intention of working illegally or sponging off USA beneficence.

Applause for the immigration officials posing as Occ. Safety officials to round them up! Very appropriate since it is obvious, people who will not deign to learn the language of the country they will work in, ARE going to be a danger in the workplace, as well as a nuisance. Communication is critical in many workplaces in order to describe working in a safe fashion, as well as any warning that might need to be issued.

And why do these planned illegals not simply learn English well to fit in? Because they do not wish to fit in. And I speak from experience of living beside such twice in my life and trying to help them fit. They dont wish too. They want fancy rims and stereos and to blair them at all hours and throw their bottles in your yard. That's Macho.

But even that is not why they do not want to learn English. It is because there is an organized effort on their part to make Spanish the dominant language not only in the USA, but worldwide. I've spoken to them about this. So don't think it is paranoia. They brought it up in some rantings upon an American site that would not let them post in Spanish.

We should arm ourselves with knowlege and pens, and turn aside this invasion like any other.

DISIPAR

PS. (I am the same race as they are ... but know how to follow a law)

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline
Enforcement is the way to go on this type of illegals. People from Mexico for instace view it as their RIGHT to invade the USA illegally. This is nothing like someone overstaying because they just need to be with a spouse and had a denial. These people may plan for years to illegally enter the USA and to then bring their entire family, friends, purely with the intention of working illegally or sponging off USA beneficence.

Applause for the immigration officials posing as Occ. Safety officials to round them up! Very appropriate since it is obvious, people who will not deign to learn the language of the country they will work in, ARE going to be a danger in the workplace, as well as a nuisance. Communication is critical in many workplaces in order to describe working in a safe fashion, as well as any warning that might need to be issued.

And why do these planned illegals not simply learn English well to fit in? Because they do not wish to fit in. And I speak from experience of living beside such twice in my life and trying to help them fit. They dont wish too. They want fancy rims and stereos and to blair them at all hours and throw their bottles in your yard. That's Macho.

But even that is not why they do not want to learn English. It is because there is an organized effort on their part to make Spanish the dominant language not only in the USA, but worldwide. I've spoken to them about this. So don't think it is paranoia. They brought it up in some rantings upon an American site that would not let them post in Spanish.

We should arm ourselves with knowlege and pens, and turn aside this invasion like any other.

DISIPAR

PS. (I am the same race as they are ... but know how to follow a law)

Disipar,

Sounds like you have something against Mexicans (your fellow country men?) or just different people? I live next door to a family of Mexicans (on a very normal street) and I have to say.. I been here 6 months and in all that time I’ve not witnessed anything the like of what you are talking about! If anything the people next door appear to be as normal as any group of people I’ve encountered. No bottles being tossed, loud music and no fancy rims :lol: .. in fact the only fancy rims I’ve seen on this street where a very white American’s car!

I never knew it was a requirement to “learn English” to be in the US? I always thought English and Spanish where the two dominant languages in the US, maybe I’m wrong? I think your version of “fitting in” and other people’s version of “fitting in” are quite different. Legal or illegal you can’t deny a man or woman their right to be different, if you deny them that you’ll eventually deny yourself the same right. :yes:

Without this coming across the wrong way, you entire post came across to me as almost fascist in a lot of ways! I’m glad I don’t live next door to you, you might take offence if I put up my Irish flag or get annoyed if I played some music or even worse get really pissed off I failed to speak proper (American?) English in my non American accent. :hehe:

I’m not trying to defend anyone that’s here illegally I just don’t like it when people get on their “I’m better than them” horse and claim they “sponge” what? Sponge?.. I came here legally and I don’t cant and wouldn’t “sponge” how can an illegal “sponge”? I don’t care what group of people you claim to be from, you’re no better than anyone else in this place!

Edited by aidan80

Filed N400 11/7/16

Check (CC) Cashed 11/10/16

Text/Email NOA 11/16/16

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.