katand7

What a Waste of Money

13 posts in this topic

I think he got his 10 year card in October or November something like that. He moved back to AUS by himself in January. And now we are getting a divorce. Feel like a big fool for spending all this time, money, and energy. But I guess he is free to come and go as he pleases in the US now.

I hope everyones experience ends - or should I say continues - with better results than mine.

Kathleen

WEDDING DAY 05-07-05

RECVD CARD IN MAIL 09-17-05

GAVIN STARTS WORKING 09-19-05

RECVD AOS INTERVIEW LETTER 10-28-05

INTERVIEW IN BOSTON 12-12-05

INTERVIEW SUCCESS & STAMP IN PASSPORT 12-12-05

GREEN CARD RECVD IN MAIL 12-19-05

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS I-751 11-05-07

CHECK CASHED 11-13-07

NOA1 for I-751 11-15-07

APPROVAL FOR I-751 10-06-08

(FOR ANY ADDL INFO SEE MY TIMELINE)

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
I think he got his 10 year card in October or November something like that. He moved back to AUS by himself in January. And now we are getting a divorce. Feel like a big fool for spending all this time, money, and energy. But I guess he is free to come and go as he pleases in the US now.

I hope everyones experience ends - or should I say continues - with better results than mine.

Kathleen

So sorry to hear this news. To maintain his LPR status he will need to maintain his residency here in the US. Only Citizens can realy come and go as they please.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Chile
Timeline

Wow sorry to hear but that's the risk we all take. Did you meet him online?

Our Timeline:

11/1999 - We met in Ecuador

02/05/00 - Relationship started

09/08/06 - Engaged & Pregnant!

03/13/08 - I filed for Citizenship

07/22/08 - Became US Citizen

08/02/08 - I-129F sent

08/13/08 - Case received by VSC

08/16/08 - NOA1

08/18/08 - Touched

12/18/08 - Touched again exactly 4 mos. after 1st touch!

12/18/08 - Noa2 @ 3PM-Gracias Dios Mio!

12/24/08 - NVC sent pckg. 3 to Embassy

01/02/09 - Pckg 3 rcvd. by Embassy

01/09/09 - Pckg 3 from Embassy received by beneficiary

02/09/09 - Medical exam

02/16/09 - Sent back checklist and docs required by embassy.

03/13/09 - We will fly to see Daddy Gary

03/16/09 - 1 PM Interview (Pray God he gets visa)

03/16/09 - 5PM INTERVIEW PASSED WOOHOO. Thank God.

03/25/09 - Visa on hand! he went to DHL office after phone call received.

04/18/09 - My Cuchi came, (NYC)a wonderful unbelievable moment!:)

04/20/09 - We applied for marriage licence. (Township Municipal Bldg Health Dept.)

04/23/09 - Licence on hand

04/29/09 - Applied for Social Security (He was in system!)

04/30/09 - Wedding day!!! Yeeebaa

05/07/09 - SS card in mail. "valid for work only with DHS authorization"

05/13/09 - Sent AOS paperwork.

06/16/09 - Biometrics Apptmt.

06/25/09 - EAD Card in mail!

06/26/09 - Letter saying case transfered to Cali.

08/08/09 - Residence Card in Mail! Yuuupiiiiiii.

THE END FOR 2 MORE YEARS.

I don´t need patience if I have love. Ah I que Viva mi Guayaquil Carajo!

-Cuchita-

Kathleen

Well - that sucks.

Yes, he can come and go as he pleases, however,

Permanent residence normally permits you to travel outside the United States and to return; however, there are some limitations.

Lengthy absences, particularly if they involve work or taking up residence abroad, can lead to abandonment and loss of permanent residence status, or delayed eligibility for naturalization. Absence for 1 year or more can cause serious problems.

If he doesn't fill out forms prior to leaving, and is gone longer than 12 months or so I believe, the above will apply to him.

Edited by Bobby_Umit

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Kathleen

Hi Kathleen,

Sorry to hear about your situation. I hope he didn't marry just to evade US Immigration Laws or just to get GC. Like others said, if he says outside of US for more than a year, he probably will loose his LPR status.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Kathleen

Kathleen,

I don't blame you for being upset. I hope there were some good times, at least. It's sweet of you to wish everyone else well, especially when you're going through this. I hope things work out for you. Best of luck.

venusfire

met online May 2006

visited him in Morocco July 2006

K-1 petition sent late September 2006 after second visit

December 2006 - third trip - went for his visa interview (stood outside all day)

visa approved! arrived here together right before Christmas 2006

married January 2007

AOS paperwork sent February 2007

RFE (yipee)

another RFE (yikes)

AOS approval July 2007

sent Removal of Conditions paperwork 01 May 2009

received I-751 NOA 14 May 2009

received ASC appt. notice 28 May 2009

biometrics appt. 12 June 2009

I-751 approval date 25 Sept 2009 (no updates on the system - still says 'received'/"initial review")

19 Oct 2009 - got text message "card production ordered"

24 Oct 2009 - actual card in the mail box!

sent his N-400 - 14 May 2010

check cashed 27 May 2010

NOA received 29 May 2010 (dated 24 May)

Biometrics Appointment Letter received 17 June 2010

Biometrics scheduled for 08 July 2010; walk-in successfully done in Philadelphia 07 July 2010

02 Oct 2010 - FINALLY got email saying the case was being transferred to the local office. Hoping to get his interview letter soon...

05 Oct 2010 - received interview letter!!!!

08 November 2010 - scheduled for N-400 interview

- went together for interview; file isn't there - need to wait to be rescheduled

Jan 2011 - went for Infopass

25 Feb 2011 - interview

19 April 2011 - Infopass

8 July 2011 - HE'S FINALLY A CITIZEN - WOO HOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

30 July 2011 - citizenship party

Everything happens for a reason. I, too, divorced my spouse after two years of wasted time and energy. The relationship just never got off the ground because of his lies and bull. I knew right away that I wasn't going to apply for his visa. In 2008, the NVC canceled the petition once I didn't respond or follow up with them.

We followed our hearts. We found love. But if it doesn't work out....the best thing is to pick up the pieces and move on. I don't believe in regret. Just move on with hope for the future. I've found love again. I'm also optimistic. Hang in there!

S

Kathleen

6/2004 - Met Ethiopia (I was there on business). Spent two days together.

2004 - 05 - Fell in love

8/05 - Visited Ethiopia

9/05 - GOT MARRIED!!!

I-130

12/21/05 - Mailed I-130

12/27/05 - Rcv'd NOA1

I-129F (K-3)

01/22/06 - Mailed in I-129F

1/29/06 - I-129F Rcvd

02/02/05 - Recvd NOA1

3/24/06 - K-3 application approved - mailed to NVC

3/29/06 - Recvd I-797 NOA 2 via mail (less than 60 days)

4/06 - Recv'd letter from NVC

4/06 - Found out that there was a mixup at the Embassy - Somehow they didn't have his mailing address

5/2/06 - Husband meets with officials at Ethiopian Embassy - Recv'd Packet 4 (instructions for visa)

5/12/06 - Send affidavit of support, evidence of relationship via DHL to Sultan in Addis

5/16/06 - DHL arrives in Addis

5/18/06 - US Embassy told him he would get a same day interview when he submits his visa app (w/medical, police, affidavit of support, and proof of relationship)

5/23/06 - Submits his visa application. ITS APPROVED!!!!!!

5/24/06 - Picks up his passport and visa envelope.

6/26/06 - Arrives in the US!!!!

EAD

7/22/06 - Mailed EAD form

8/24/06 - NOA arrives in the mail

9/7/06 - Biometrics Appointment

10/03/06 - Work Authorization Card Arrives!!!

10/4/06 - Applied for SSN

10/17/06 - SSN Arrives in the Mail!!

11/21/06 - First Day at Work.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

I guess you can sue him, and take the card away from him, ONLINE DATING fraudulent married. talk to a attorney.

06/12/07----sending The package to NSC

06/15/07---- Received at NSC

06/25/07---- TOUCHED

07/02/07---- TOUCHED and it conformed they received my Mail on 06/25/07 at CSC!

07/20/07---- TOUCHED and a lady said it still Pending..

08/06/07---- TOUCHED

08/29/07 OMG I am just keep TOUCHING... :lol:

09/26/07 TOUCHED CSC ... Nothing yet :(

09/28/07 sending a fax to congressman at 00:06 A.M.

10/31/07 JUST Called CSC TODAY, my Case Is under Officer reviewing... RIGHT ONNNNNN

11/05/07 RFE!!!! AFTER ABOUT 4 MONTH RFE? WHAT FOR? WHY SO LATE? #######

11/26/07 Approved WooHooo

11/30/07 NO2 hardcopy has been received yo yo

12/10/07 Transferred to NVC as of today 12/17/07. NVC telephone line is a hack of busy!

12/14/07 NV received the case

12/18/07 called and conformed the nvc case number and case have been send to ankara u.s. embassy

01/17/08 Received Appointment Letter Damn slow while they send it thro USPS

02/10/09 Approval Letter. ouiiiiii

02/20/09 Recived The Permanent Resident card

zadcvfp4_845f2cf68d.gif

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline
Hi Kathleen,

Sorry to hear about your situation. I hope he didn't marry just to evade US Immigration Laws or just to get GC. Like others said, if he says outside of US for more than a year, he probably will loose his LPR status.

I'm sorry Kathleen for your situation (F) That really sucks.

And I doubt that he was doing it for the GC. If he was, then he didn't do his research very well. Like Bobby said, to maintain his LPR status he cannot leave the US for more than 12 months at a time, and if he starts working back in Aus (or doesn't maintain his US address -presumably with you) then he risks losing it as well. I think that LPRs sometimes even have issues if they stay out of the country for up to 6 months at a time without a good reason.

If you think he DID do it for the GC, then you can always document your fears with USCIS. That way if he comes back to the US soon and starts living his life again, at least they will know. Although, I'm pretty sure that now that he has the green card they will be unlikely to take it from him. I know that they *can* be revoked if it is discovered that they were acquired through fraudulent means, but unless you have some way to prove fraud (like he's already married or something), then it's unlikely that they would pursue it.

Again, I'm sorry this has happened to you. But be assured that if he has in fact MOVED back to Aus, that he cannot just come back to the US whenever he so pleases.

N-400 Naturalization Process

June 25, 2013 --Qualified for Citizenship!

October 12, 2017 --Electronically filed

October 13, 2017 --NOA1

October 31, 2017 --Biometrics Appointment -ATL

ROC

April 5, 2012 --Sent I-751 to Vermont Service Center

May 21, 2012 --Biometric Appointment at ATL office

December 12, 2012 --10 year Green Card in hand

DCF Process

October 10, 2009 --Married in São Paulo

January 14, 2010 --Filed I-130 at São Paulo Consulate for DCF

May 17, 2010 --VISA IN HAND!

June 24, 2010 --POE in Atlanta

Thanks everyone for your comments. Here are my responses:

As far as having a prenup - unnecessary for us. We both agreed that we would share mutual debt and take back our own individual debt. We had an apartment and didn't own any real estate. We had no children together. He went back to the same life he left in the first place.

I guess I was just feeling frustrated and was not very eloquent with my post. I know that he didn't just marry me for a green card. There is no fraud. He just underestimated how much living here was going to be difficult and when you add to that the stress of an instant family (I have children from my first marriage) and someone who never moved out on his own from Mom and Dad anyway. We both (somewhat naively) thought that love could conquer anything and I'm sure that it can. But only if both people are committed and want that. He may have thought that is what he wanted but it was not. And it did not help that at every difficult juncture he had his family back in AUS telling him that us being together was a mistake and he should just come back. He had an easy out and he took it. I just am totally frustrated that when we were having problems before filing for removal of conditions that I would not have invested the money to file. But you can't go back. I was just venting.

Yes I agree that things happen for a reason. And I do believe that I can find happiness again.

To the person who asked if we met on the internet - yes we did. But I wouldn't say that was really an issue because we were friends first and we talked and communicated for FIVE years before ever meeting in person and pursuing anything. So it wasn't hasty by any means.

And my wish for those going through the process etc is indeed true. Rooting for love to do anything but succeed would just be sour grapes on my part.

Best wishes to everyone and thank you for your heartfelt expressions of kindness.

Kathleen

WEDDING DAY 05-07-05

RECVD CARD IN MAIL 09-17-05

GAVIN STARTS WORKING 09-19-05

RECVD AOS INTERVIEW LETTER 10-28-05

INTERVIEW IN BOSTON 12-12-05

INTERVIEW SUCCESS & STAMP IN PASSPORT 12-12-05

GREEN CARD RECVD IN MAIL 12-19-05

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS I-751 11-05-07

CHECK CASHED 11-13-07

NOA1 for I-751 11-15-07

APPROVAL FOR I-751 10-06-08

(FOR ANY ADDL INFO SEE MY TIMELINE)

I'm sorry this happened. This happened to someone else I know who had fears and family telling them not to leave. I hope you learned something from it so you can move on with your life.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.