22 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Okay, so I mailed the I129-F yesterday. I checked and double checked and TRIPLE checked all the paperwork...

I was standing in line thinking "do I have everything" when I realized I did not include the check :bonk:

So I got out of line and wrote out the check payable to "Department of Homeland Security"

When I got back to the office and looked at the instructions it says to make it out to "US Department of Homeland Security"

Do you guys think they will RFE me for not including the "US" :hehe:

eek! you'll find out soon enough when you see if the check was cashed heh

Naturalization

N-400 package mailed: 04/16/2013

N-400 package delivered: 04/16/2013

NOA1 date: 04/17/2013

Biometrics: 08/23/2013

Interview: 10/07/2013

Oath: 01/23/2014

DONE!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I suspect you will be fine.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

hehe sorry. it was just a little friendly eek! i think it will probably be ok too. if it's going to drive you crazy over the next few days you could try calling the misinformation line and asking them- not about your case in particular since it won't be in the computer yet, but just in general if they think it's ok.

Edited by imaisha

Naturalization

DONE!

Timeline
hehe sorry. it was just a little friendly eek! i think it will probably be ok too. if it's going to drive you crazy over the next few days you could try calling the misinformation line and asking them- not about your case in particular since it won't be in the computer yet, but just in general if they think it's ok.

:lol:

One thing I am blessed with is patience :D

I think calling the misinformation line would make me more crazy :wacko:

Thanks for the reply :thumbs:

I also forgot the "US" on my checks...they cashed it anyways :thumbs:

smiley-love001.gif

thank goodness for that- you'll need it for this process!

wish i had some... haha

Edited by imaisha

Naturalization

DONE!

I think you will be find, I just read something that said they were not rejecting checks that did not have US on them starting May 19, 2009...

J/K

:jest:

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Timeline
I think you will be find, I just read something that said they were not rejecting checks that did not have US on them starting May 19, 2009...

J/K

:jest:

:rofl:

thanks for the laugh :star:

thank goodness for that- you'll need it for this process!

wish i had some... haha

I taught my son to sing the "patience song" every time he gets impatient...

I can teach it to you if you like :whistle:

There is something about singing when you are about to rip your hair out, that really helps.... :yes:

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Peru
Timeline

There is no way that neglecting to write "US" on the check would be a problem. I'm sure that they cash checks made out to simple "DHS" all the time. I work for a company that also does buisness using initials, and I process incoming checks. We have no problem with how checks are made out. People accidently invert the initials all the time and we still deposit the checks.

Think of it this way -- in order for that to be a problem, esentially what would need to happen is the teller at some bank would have to tell the guy depositing 5,000 checks made out to the US Department of Homeland Security, "I'm sorry, but we can't cash this one check because we are unable to tell if you stole it from a different country's Department of Homeland Security."

Not gonna happen.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Peru
Timeline

Another thing that might give you comfort - There are two divisions where I work with totally different names and account numbers that are different legal entities. We endorse checks with a stamp that says "FOR DEPOSIT ONLY [Division name, account number] I screw up and endorse the checks with the wrong stamp all the time, and then have to cross out the endorsements and endorse it with a second stamp that instructs the bank "FOR DEPOSIT ONLY" to a totally different account. No one has ever mentioned anything about it. The bank is used to people making much bigger mistakes on checks than neglecting to write "US."

Timeline
Another thing that might give you comfort - There are two divisions where I work with totally different names and account numbers that are different legal entities. We endorse checks with a stamp that says "FOR DEPOSIT ONLY [Division name, account number] I screw up and endorse the checks with the wrong stamp all the time, and then have to cross out the endorsements and endorse it with a second stamp that instructs the bank "FOR DEPOSIT ONLY" to a totally different account. No one has ever mentioned anything about it. The bank is used to people making much bigger mistakes on checks than neglecting to write "US."

The only thing that made me worry is because the I129-F instructions specifically state:

"NOTE: Please spell out U.S. Department of Homeland Security; do not use the initials "USDHS" or "DHS."

:bonk:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.