kaitee27

Pls help me adjust status; I don't want to lie on form G-325A

35 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello everyone, :star:

I know some of you will start judging me right away but pls don't, i'm in need of help right now so i don't really want ppl telling me that i haven't made the wisest decisions in the past. I already know that and I would really appreciate it if I can get some answers :yes:

I came to the US approx. 6 years ago, i entered the country as a tourist and decided to overstay (i got 6 months to stay).

I don't want to type a huuuuge thing so i'm just going to say i went through a lot of stuff and decided to start working ilegally (using fake documents). <-- I know that was very stupid.

A few years ago i met my husband (we just got married last month) and now we're trying to adjust my status so i can become a resident.

I'm not currently working (i quit last year when my husband (back then boyfriend) and i decided to move in together and i had to move far away from where i was working at that moment).

Back when i was working, Even though I was doing it ilegally, I always did my taxes, every single year (I got an ITIN number form the IRS).

My husband and I are currently working on the whole package to send to immigration and I don't know what to do regarding the question about employment history on form G-325A.

I don't want to lie but I'm scared. And sadly we can't afford an immigration lawyer since their rates are extremely high; we decided to take care of the whole thing by ourselves and luckily i found this great site.

I asked a person that works with immigration lawyers (she's like an assistant or secretary) and she told me I shouldn't tell them I've been working ilegally because they could deport me and that it doesn't matter that I'm the wife of an US citizen.

She claims that's what the lawyers she works for always tell their clients.

I told her that i don't want to lie, what if they find out (they could check with the IRS and see I've been doing my taxes, right?) and I'm not able to adjust my status?

Basically I'd like to know if any of you have gone through this and what did you guys do? What's going to happen when i send my G-325A with my ilegal employment history? Should i also send my taxes transcripts? How do i attach them? or should i wait and see if they ask me to take them to the interview?

I'm really lost because I don't know if I should lie about working ilegally or just give them my employment history and expect to be forgiven for being the wife of a US citizen.

Any pointers?

Thank you all for reading and for trying to help me!! I really appreciate it. :thumbs:

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

It is true that you could be deported even though you are married to a US citizen.

My humble opinion is to be as honest as possible, because if you start lying you could end with all sorts of problems. I would also strongly recommend you finding the money to talk to a good immigration lawyer.

I claim it in the name of the Empire

Filed: Other Timeline

You have two choices. You will either have to lie on the forms, or you will tell the truth. Either way I suspect you're in for a bumpy ride.

They don't need your tax transcripts but they will need your husband's to go with the affidavit of support.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Never been in your situation personally but from what I've read your massive overstay will most likely get you banned from the US.

Then the use of illegal documents will probably come up and another ban.

I'd look for a good immigration attorney.

Also start on a Plan B, which country are you from and what does your husband think about moving to there?

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Overstays are forgiven if you marry and adjust however I think the working with illegal docs I'm pretty sure will complicate things.

Honesty is the best policy always I've learned.

The only thing I can suggest is a lawyer.......

----Timeline ----

03.06.09 - Wedding

03/09 - AOS package work-in-progress

05/11/09 - AOS+AP+EAD package mailed!

05/12/09 - Delivery Confirmation!!

05/16/09 - NOA 1 AOS, EAD, AP

05/19/09 - Medical Exam - Passed!

06/11/09 - Biometric Appointment

06/09/09 - Biometrics Completed

06/17/09 - I-485, I-765 touched

06/18/09 - EAD Approved & Card Ordered!

06/23/09 - 2nd Card Production Ordered Email

06/24/09 - I-130 Touched

06/26/09 - EAD Card Recieved

07/01/09 - Happy Birthday Canada! ▐ ♥▐

07/07/09 - I-485 Touched

07/08/09 - AP Received in mail!

07/08/09 - I-485 Touched

07/13/09 - Interview Letter Arrived dated 07/08/09

08/20/09 - Interview @8am - APPROVED!!!!

--------------------

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Moldova
Timeline
Never been in your situation personally but from what I've read your massive overstay will most likely get you banned from the US.

Also start on a Plan B, which country are you from and what does your husband think about moving to there?

First - don't leave the country.

Second - don't start working again.

Your overstay will trigger a ban only if you leave the United States before the adjustment of status is completed. It is also normal for illegal work to be forgiven, but it may depend on what you mean by fake documents. There is a difference (which I do not know the details of) between using a fake SS number and using someone else's.

The one thing that will not be forgiven is misrepresentation/lying to the USCIS. That can result in a lifetime ban.

You should try to find a lawyer who will do a consultation and tell you what to do (for much less than handling the whole OAS), or try to find a charity that provides legal help for immigrants. (Call any organization in your area that helps immigrants and ask them who to call.)

Lots of immigrants find themselves in similar situations. Don't panic.

If you don't use a lawyer, I would be honest and put down your work. Don't send the tax information, because it isn't needed in the AOS filing. All the alternatives are worse.

First - don't leave the country.

Second - don't start working again.

Your overstay will trigger a ban only if you leave the United States before the adjustment of status is completed. It is also normal for illegal work to be forgiven, but it may depend on what you mean by fake documents. There is a difference (which I do not know the details of) between using a fake SS number and using someone else's.

The one thing that will not be forgiven is misrepresentation/lying to the USCIS. That can result in a lifetime ban.

You should try to find a lawyer who will do a consultation and tell you what to do (for much less than handling the whole OAS), or try to find a charity that provides legal help for immigrants. (Call any organization in your area that helps immigrants and ask them who to call.)

Lots of immigrants find themselves in similar situations. Don't panic.

If you don't use a lawyer, I would be honest and put down your work. Don't send the tax information, because it isn't needed in the AOS filing. All the alternatives are worse.

Concur with all this. The bolded part in paticular is very important not to do.

You have some negative factors working against you, overstay, working without permission, which will be used when they look over your case.

Marriage to an USC is a positive factor.

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

The cost of hiring an immigration attorney is nothing compared to the cost of being deported. Your marriage to a US Citizen does not exempt you from being deported. When my husband and I were processing his visa in Mexico we met dozens and dozens of Mexican citizens who overstayed tourist visas and worked illegally in the US and then got married. The best case scenario we encountered was a guy who had been married for 7 years to his US citizen wife. Their lawyer (wisely) advised him to be honest about his situation. The lawyer was also honest with him that he would have to remain outside the US while his appeal was processing. He'll be in Mexico for 6 months to a year while his case gets straightened out. This is a WAY better situation than that of another family we met. They tried to lie their way through and the husband who had been working without papers was banned from stepping foot into the US for 20 years. Yes. Twenty years.

Consult with an attorney. We used Eric Dean: http://www.deank1k3visas.com/. He was reasonable and good, but our case was straightforward.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Romania
Timeline
The cost of hiring an immigration attorney is nothing compared to the cost of being deported. Your marriage to a US Citizen does not exempt you from being deported. When my husband and I were processing his visa in Mexico we met dozens and dozens of Mexican citizens who overstayed tourist visas and worked illegally in the US and then got married. The best case scenario we encountered was a guy who had been married for 7 years to his US citizen wife. Their lawyer (wisely) advised him to be honest about his situation. The lawyer was also honest with him that he would have to remain outside the US while his appeal was processing. He'll be in Mexico for 6 months to a year while his case gets straightened out. This is a WAY better situation than that of another family we met. They tried to lie their way through and the husband who had been working without papers was banned from stepping foot into the US for 20 years. Yes. Twenty years.

Consult with an attorney. We used Eric Dean: http://www.deank1k3visas.com/. He was reasonable and good, but our case was straightforward.

Well..I did the same thing, overstayed my visa and illegal work ( altought with a valid SSN, the one was issued on my name when I came with my J1 visa).

I got married with a USC and hired a reputable lawyer. He said that I WILL declare that I worked illegally, but won't use the income on the affidavit of support and won't send any of my tax return, unless they require that. We will just take them with us at the iterview in case they want to see them. He said that marrying a USC , the overstay and illegal work will be forgiven. Plus it is not such a big crime as long as the US Government got their money ( tax return), altought it is against the law, I know.

You will all say : "yes, but how do u know u won't have problems?" I won't know till I get there, at the interview. But I am confident that it will be all right and I WILL TELL THE TRUTH.

Plus, my friend was just in my situation and she just got her GC last week : J1 visa, overstayed, illegal work- she got her GC.

What you did, you did, you can't change it anymore.

Be confident, ALWAYS say the truth and it will be fine.

Good luck.

D and T

If you can prove that the marriage is legit and real, the overstay can be forgiven. If they find out that you worked using forged documents, you will most likely not step foot inside the US for a long time, if ever again.

No matter what the cost, go see an immigration lawyer BEFORE you send in your paperwork.

Filed: Other Timeline

Both the overstay and the unauthorized employment may potentially be 'forgiven' by virtue of adjusting your status through marriage to a US citizen.

Do not lie. Tell the truth.

You should not go forward without the services of a reputable experienced immigration attorney. An attorney consult is usually affordable. You may or may not find that you should hire an attorney to assist you with your case. When you have that consult, be COMPLETELY AND TOTALLY forthcoming with that attoreny regarding every detail of your case, including the nature of these 'forged dcouments'.

Edited by rebeccajo

Filed: Timeline

I know some of you will start judging me right away but pls don't, i'm in need of help right now so i don't really want ppl telling me that i haven't made the wisest decisions in the past. I already know that and I would really appreciate it if I can get some answers :yes:

I came to the US approx. 6 years ago, i entered the country as a tourist and decided to overstay (i got 6 months to stay).

I don't want to type a huuuuge thing so i'm just going to say i went through a lot of stuff and decided to start working ilegally (using fake documents). <-- I know that was very stupid.

A few years ago i met my husband (we just got married last month) and now we're trying to adjust my status so i can become a resident.

I'm not currently working (i quit last year when my husband (back then boyfriend) and i decided to move in together and i had to move far away from where i was working at that moment).

Back when i was working, Even though I was doing it ilegally, I always did my taxes, every single year (I got an ITIN number form the IRS).

My husband and I are currently working on the whole package to send to immigration and I don't know what to do regarding the question about employment history on form G-325A.

I don't want to lie but I'm scared. And sadly we can't afford an immigration lawyer since their rates are extremely high; we decided to take care of the whole thing by ourselves and luckily i found this great site.

I asked a person that works with immigration lawyers (she's like an assistant or secretary) and she told me I shouldn't tell them I've been working ilegally because they could deport me and that it doesn't matter that I'm the wife of an US citizen.

I told her that i don't want to lie, what if they find out (they could check with the IRS and see I've been doing my taxes, right?) and I'm not able to adjust my status?

Basically I'd like to know if any of you have gone through this and what did you guys do? What's going to happen when i send my G-325A with my ilegal employment history? Should i also send my taxes transcripts? How do i attach them? or should i wait and see if they ask me to take them to the interview?

I'm really lost because I don't know if I should lie about working ilegally or just give them my employment history and expect to be forgiven for being the wife of a US citizen.

Any pointers?

Thank you all for reading and for trying to help me!! I really appreciate it. :thumbs:

Whatever you do..DO NOT LIE about working...They will find out...Most overstays be it B1 or F1 who work illegally and who marry a USC are forgiven. I know of many cases where it was forgiven. You also don't need to volunteer the fact the you used fake docs to get a job. The immigration people already know this already. Just state all the places you have worked since you got here. The most important thing is you entered the US legally on a B1 with inspection.. If you entered without inspection then you will most likely be in big trouble.....Don't worry just file joint I-130/485, I-864, I-765 and provide lots of evidence of a relationship with your husband and lots of evidence of joint assets...

Good luck!

Any pointers?

Whatever you do..DO NOT LIE about working...They will find out...Most overstays be it B1 or F1 who work illegally and who marry a USC are forgiven. I know of many cases where it was forgiven. You also don't need to volunteer the fact the you used fake docs to get a job. The immigration people already know this already. Just state all the places you have worked since you got here. The most important thing is you entered the US legally on a B1 with inspection.. If you entered without inspection then you will most likely be in big trouble.....Don't worry just file joint I-130/485, I-864, I-765 and provide lots of evidence of a relationship with your husband and lots of evidence of joint assets...

Good luck!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

A good friend of mine is an Immigration Attorney. His suggestions:

1.) Save your money for a good Immig. Lawyer. You have broken the law and could be deported after an Immigration hearing.

2.) Get all your personal things in order because once ICE finds out and they know where you live you might be arrested soon

and be in jail until your hearing. (might be 6-12 months with the way things are now-moving- very slowly) If arrested you will be

considered "a flight" as in likely that if you are released from jail you will be difficult to find later. You may be held in jail without

bail. If the judge decides to allow bail, it will be very high. You will not likely be able to come up with the bail money.

3.) Kick yourself every day for doing what most Imm. Attorneys see as the most stupid thing you could have done; not viewed

well in the eyes of the law.

Read the following:

Section 212(a)(9)(B)(ii) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) defines “unlawful presence” as follows:

[A]n alien is deemed to be unlawfully present in the United States if the alien is present in the United States after the expiration of the period of stay authorized by the Attorney General or is present in the United States without being admitted or paroled.

Further Section 212(a)(9)(B)(i) imposes two types of bars for people who overstay without a valid permission. If the overstay is for a period of 180 days or more the person who overstays is then precluded from re-entering USA for a period of 3 years from the date he leaves USA. If a person has overstayed without valid permission for more than a year then after he leaves USA he cannot re-enter USA on any category of visa for a period of 10 years.

Any pointers?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.