179 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
Cheers to all the USCs going through the adjustment process with us immigrants!

I'm so thankful that my husband is so very understanding. I know my meltdowns and observations on life in the US sometimes upset him him but he still managed to hold me and tell me it'll all be ok. :luv:

~ Catherine

Amen to that!!! My hubby is also pretty good about understanding when I call American bread disgusting and I whine about wanting REAL chocolate, or big fat hot chips, not fries! :blink: ...but then we did some husband training when I got here eg, how to pack/unpack the dishwasher, not mix whites and colors in the laundry and hygene is not a girl up a tree! Ok...let me explain that...he's a tanker in the Army so they go out and get stinky for 3 weeks and come home dragging muddy ####### through the house and ponging it up! :no:

We've been married 2yrs now and going strong...we have our moments, but the best fun is when we are trying to understand and translate the different sayings which for Aussies are many..... eg, how many of you have had the differences in biscuits, scones and crackers discussion? Ordered an Entree thinking it was an appertiser and realised it was a main meal?...... oh and don't start me on the Tomato Sauce and Ketchup discussion.

All I know is that the fun you have getting to know each other and understanding the cultural differences far out ways any of the issues....and hey, we bought a breadmaker so I don't have to eat the crappy bread! :lol:

Girlfrmoz

19 Apr 07: ARRIVED JFK POE and got the temp EAD stamp!!!!

27 Apr 07: Got Married

14 May 07: Received SSN

04 June 07: GOT A JOB!!

16 June 07: Wedding Reception in San Francisco

13 August 07: Got new EAD

23 November 07: Adjustment of Status approved

25 December 07: First white Christmas EVER!!!!

27 Apr 08: First Wedding Anniversary

4 July 08: Mt Rushmore for 4th July

27 April 09: Second Wedding Anniversary

October 09: Hoping to visit Australia

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline
Ordered an Entree thinking it was an appertiser and realised it was a main meal?

Yes. The rest of the table looked at me as if I had just called the waitress a nasty name, "Is he freaking insane?" written on their faces in bold letters. Was in Denver, btw, at Café Berlin.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
Ordered an Entree thinking it was an appertiser and realised it was a main meal?

Yes. The rest of the table looked at me as if I had just called the waitress a nasty name, "Is he freaking insane?" written on their faces in bold letters. Was in Denver, btw, at Café Berlin.

I hear you on that one....I got looked at like that girl is a real piggy! :lol:

Hey and you are living in Denver or were you just visiting?

19 Apr 07: ARRIVED JFK POE and got the temp EAD stamp!!!!

27 Apr 07: Got Married

14 May 07: Received SSN

04 June 07: GOT A JOB!!

16 June 07: Wedding Reception in San Francisco

13 August 07: Got new EAD

23 November 07: Adjustment of Status approved

25 December 07: First white Christmas EVER!!!!

27 Apr 08: First Wedding Anniversary

4 July 08: Mt Rushmore for 4th July

27 April 09: Second Wedding Anniversary

October 09: Hoping to visit Australia

Timeline

I hear you on that one....I got looked at like that girl is a real piggy! :lol:

Hey and you are living in Denver or were you just visiting?

I was living there at that time, from 99 through 02.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ethiopia
Timeline
My husband is deathly afraid of home made sun tea! He finds the idea of drinking water that was sitting in the sun downright offensive!
K., tell C. that Americanos usually don't leave food in pots on the stove for days & days and continue eating out of the pots. We DO, however (or at least Real Men do), find nothing wrong with eating 3-day-old room-temperature pizza. Fungus is a vegetable, si man. :)

Yes! Hubby will cook and leave things to sit on the stove for days. I keep telling him thats not a good idea you can get sick. He always tells me well people do it back home and they are fine. (Note: every adult I know complains of chaguara, basically stomach ache/gastric problems- could it be eating food that sits out for days? I suspect partly). So finally one time I did say or do anything. The food sat for like 3-4 days, he ate some and got sick(nothing horrible). For memorial day, he cooked. When the food cooled I put in the fridge, this time it was silent. Not a single word of protest.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ethiopia
Timeline
As mentioned, uncovered foods in refrigerator and food sitting out all day, when she cooks it is usually early afternoon even though I may not get home till 7 or 8.

Air conditioning, better now but at first she would leave the doors open while the AC was on.

Sliding glass doors-------need I say more :lol:

YES!!!! When its nice outside, hubby will turn the A/C on in the car, then roll the windows down. :blink: I want to shake him every time he does it. I've explained it a million times. I always remind him to do one or the other not both. I'm getting tired. Maybe when winter comes I will turn the heat on and roll the windows down. :devil:

Regarding foods, while I was living in the States (and me and the fiance were in the v v early dating stages) my other half tried Marmite...for the non-Brits amongst us this is a savoury spread made from yeast extract that you put on toast, bagels, etc. Their brand slogan is 'you either love it or hate it' and never was a truer word spoken. Personally, I used to eat it with a spoon when I was a kid and now I dip my Marmite-covered bagel in my coffee, but I digress :)

So he tried Marmite (without any prompting from me).....and his face after 2 or 3 chews was one of the funniest things I've ever seen in my life. Suffice to say he's in the 'hate it' category ;) But his willingness to give it a go was one thing amongst many that I love the bloke for!! Plus he now keeps a jar especially for me in his kitchen cupboard...his mother said she smelled it one time and nearly passed out ;)

Jess :)

Edited by Miss Jess

Jess
Forewarned is forearmed

See my Timeline for previous USCIS applications

Lifting Conditions
2/20/2013: Filed
2/25/2013: NOA1

7/5/2013: RFE

8/23/2013: Approved

8/31/2013: GC received

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

still i have 2-3 weeks before i leave my country with my USC hubby...

i think food will be major problem with me as i m too much choosy ... i dont like white sauce , pasta ... in addition to tht i m pure veggie...

hubby manages to eat whatever i cook although he dont understands and remembers the names of recipes.. :star: and uses his credit cards everywhere when he visit my country.. when in india most shops accepts cash only.. and he never tries to count money in rupees as he dont understand .. so give only 1000 Rs. or 500 Rs. bill and give hand full of change to me to count it and keep change......lol..... :rofl:

i wont try such things when i will come to USA..........lol....

he had visited india twice only for 15 days or so..... and i never visited US till now... we have completely different life styles..... he is understanding and loving still i afraid .... :blink:

Case complete: 04-20-09

Interview date: 06-08-09

Well this is just dumb. I am an American and I don't know why we call the main course an entree. entree mean start or begin (or even enter) when translated. Everywhere else uses the term correctly but this country.

------- ROC ---------------

06.29.2011 Mailed I-751

09.22.2011 RFE

Well this is just dumb. I am an American and I don't know why we call the main course an entree. entree mean start or begin (or even enter) when translated. Everywhere else uses the term correctly but this country.

Heh, we're guilty of that in Canada too! I've never thought about it before, but you're right... it really doesn't make sense, does it?

02/13/09 -

:)

02/19/09 - I-130 mailed out

02/27/09 - NOA1

03/19/09 - NOA2

05/07/09 - NVC CASE COMPLETE!

06/23/09 - Received interview appointment letter via email! Yay!

08/19/09 -Interview! SUCCESS!! (Wanna read a ridiculously long interview review? Click the link!)

08/21/09 - Visa received!

09/11/09 - POE (Alexandria Bay, NY)

09/28/09 - Received Permanent Resident card

06/28/11 - Sent 1-751 to VSC

07/29/11 - Biometrics appointment (OKC)

01/20/12 - I-751 approved!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

The "presents" are a positive sign he is adjusting , and showing them back home how good he is doing in USA. Even if it isnt so, he having some faith in the situation

august 2004 I-129 filed (neb)

DEC 2004 Approved

interview: SEOUL

MArch 21st , 2005AR for special security clearance,washington

May 18th tranfer case from Seoul to Islammabad

June 21st security clearance done

June 28th online at the embassy in Islamabad

waiting for paper transfer and the good word

OCTOBER 14TH 2005 Interview Number 2: ISLAMABAD, PK

AR number 2 sent to DOS per Islamabad (2 cable request)

Nov 22 okd updated financial and etc proof accepted / embassy waiting for security cables

dec 20th one cable back waiting on 2nd

Jan 17th.. good word recieved. SECURITY CHECKS ALL CLEAR!!! DOS says embassy to contact him within two weeks!!!!!!

FEBRUARY 10th, 2006 VISA RECIEVED!!! They called him In via phone, stamped his passort and sent him on his way!!!

FEB 28th WELCOME HOME>>>POE CHICAGO did not even look at xray, few questions. one hour wait at Poe

march 10th marriage (nikkah at the islamic center)

aug 2006 AOS interview, cond 2 yr GC arrived september

June 2008 applied for removal of conditions on permant residency aka awaiting for 10 yr greencard

Dec 2008 10yr green card approved, no interview.

Timeline
I'm glad I had lived in the US for almost a decade before I've met the beloved :)

Things that confused me when I first arrived:

Peanut butter.

Payphones.

The phone number system.

Sealed beam headlights.

American Bread.

Analog cellphones.

Watered down beer in grocery stores.

Liquor stores.

Drive-thru banks.

American cheese.

Grocery baggers.

AM talk radio.

Meal times.

Sweet potatoes.

Oh! The street numbering system!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
Oh! The street numbering system!
What about it, specifically?

Regarding street NAMES, many cities are laid out in a logical manner, such as all "numbered" streets run north/south and all "letter-name" streets run east/west. Some cities use the names of the U.S. Presidents, in order (Harlingen, Texas is one). In Minneapolis, many of the residential streets are alphabetical A through Z, and they begin again with A. Salt Lake City's system is easy enough for taxi-drivers to learn in one day -- for example, "801 N 1420 E" indicates how many blocks north and east of the city center the location is, si man. Small towns sometimes have addresses such as "300 N. Main St." (3 blocks north of the town center on Main St.) and "300 S. Main St." (3 blocks south of town center), si man.

Conversely, some cities have streets that change names as one drives along them (Houston is one), and I still remember living in a certain North Carolina city in the mid-'80s where I got lost and ended up at the corner of Queens Road and Queens Road, si man.

Edited by TBoneTX

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.