GS4EVER

Moving to America

54 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline
I think they way I'm looking at it is, anything worth doing is tough and probably painful as well...I can go see them on vacation (although that is one thing I am seriously going to miss about the UK...5.5 weeks paid vacation per year!! ;)) and to be fair, I'm going to be living in Florida so I doubt I'll have a shortage of people wanting to come visit :)

It's just going to be the day-to-day pointless phone calls that I'll miss the most I think.

i think you an call them on weekends when there are low call rates..... :blush:

and florida is cool place .. :star: we are coming to florida for third honeymoon.. :luv:(F)(L) in the second week of june...

Hi jess.... im in your same situation..... its like im thorn in half.... i dont want to leave my family behind coz im sooooooooooooo attached to them and we re very close... i still live with my parents.... and at the same time i want to be with my husband soooooooooo badly.... it s gonna be tough :(

his wify,

me too staying with parents till now but no other way than to leave them...... missing my husband a lot. :star: it will be tough but we'll be around to share yr tears . you can always post here..... :yes:

thanks KD ... i appreciate that... its gonna be so tough to leave them behind... im so thorn between them and my husband.... its gonna be one painful experience

start counting days his wify.. few more days only.. so enjoy with your family as much as possible and get relaxed so you will be well prepared for interview...

so close to interview now..... i still have a few more months to see hubby coz hes deployed right now

right...... but once you will pass interview , you will be relaxed .... the anxity will be over....

Case complete: 04-20-09

Interview date: 06-08-09

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Malta
Timeline
I think they way I'm looking at it is, anything worth doing is tough and probably painful as well...I can go see them on vacation (although that is one thing I am seriously going to miss about the UK...5.5 weeks paid vacation per year!! ;)) and to be fair, I'm going to be living in Florida so I doubt I'll have a shortage of people wanting to come visit :)

It's just going to be the day-to-day pointless phone calls that I'll miss the most I think.

i think you an call them on weekends when there are low call rates..... :blush:

and florida is cool place .. :star: we are coming to florida for third honeymoon.. :luv:(F)(L) in the second week of june...

Hi jess.... im in your same situation..... its like im thorn in half.... i dont want to leave my family behind coz im sooooooooooooo attached to them and we re very close... i still live with my parents.... and at the same time i want to be with my husband soooooooooo badly.... it s gonna be tough :(

his wify,

me too staying with parents till now but no other way than to leave them...... missing my husband a lot. :star: it will be tough but we'll be around to share yr tears . you can always post here..... :yes:

thanks KD ... i appreciate that... its gonna be so tough to leave them behind... im so thorn between them and my husband.... its gonna be one painful experience

start counting days his wify.. few more days only.. so enjoy with your family as much as possible and get relaxed so you will be well prepared for interview...

so close to interview now..... i still have a few more months to see hubby coz hes deployed right now

right...... but once you will pass interview , you will be relaxed .... the anxity will be over....

yes thats so true..... i have the medical the day before the interview as well.... so im so extra excited

N400 sent : 2012-10-27

Check Cashed : 2012-11-05

Bio Appointment : 2012-11-23

Walk-In Biometrics : 2012-11-14

Interview Appointment : 2013-04-12

Approved : 2013-04-12

Oath Ceremony : 2013-06-28

as1cCET0g410010MjA0MDk1c3wwMTMxbHxTaW5jZ

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

If y'all (that's Texan for "you all") think that YOU'RE having a tough time, then dig this:

Two immigrants to the U.S., just off the boat, walked the streets of New York City. They marveled at all that they beheld in their new country, and they discussed their lives to come. "I have heard that Americans eat dogs," one said. "Strange," said his friend, "but if we are to be Americans, we must do as the Americans do."

Just then, they came upon a hot-dog vendor on the corner. "Two dogs, please!" the hungry immigrants said. The vendor, only too happy to oblige, handed them two orders wrapped in aluminum foil. The immigrants raced to a park bench, sat down, and eagerly began unwrapping their "dogs."

The first immigrant looked at his order and paused in shock. After several seconds of stunned silence, he murmured to his friend, "What part did YOU get?"

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline

:yes:

If y'all (that's Texan for "you all") think that YOU'RE having a tough time, then dig this:

Two immigrants to the U.S., just off the boat, walked the streets of New York City. They marveled at all that they beheld in their new country, and they discussed their lives to come. "I have heard that Americans eat dogs," one said. "Strange," said his friend, "but if we are to be Americans, we must do as the Americans do."

Just then, they came upon a hot-dog vendor on the corner. "Two dogs, please!" the hungry immigrants said. The vendor, only too happy to oblige, handed them two orders wrapped in aluminum foil. The immigrants raced to a park bench, sat down, and eagerly began unwrapping their "dogs."

The first immigrant looked at his order and paused in shock. After several seconds of stunned silence, he murmured to his friend, "What part did YOU get?"

lol...... thts funny... :devil: u made me laugh.. :rofl::D

we are not facing real tough time yet but yea, trying to share our feelings and experiences so other of us can feel comfortable ... :ot:

its good to laugh on problem.. :ot2: in india they say" troubles are like monkey, the more you run, the more it will run behind you, but when you turn and start running towards them they will go far off"

as we have english as second language, initially we've to face problem in understanding some of accents and phrases..then comes driving... :blink:

if its one problem we can face but strange land,strange/unknown people and culture, new atmosphere and all new laws ..... :wacko::wacko::wacko: .. i admit its easier to face all these when you know there are others with you having same problem and most importantly loving spouse to accompany you in all troubles... :star::innocent::blush::luv:

anyone thr having same uneasiness like me? :(:hehe:

I think we all do...I'm lucky because being British I share the same language and we watch a lot of the same TV shows etc etc...but you'd still be surprised at how different the UK and the US are!!

Like when I was visiting my boy a couple of weeks ago my mum came with me and we went to the coast for a few days...in the morning at breakfast I asked for 2 french toasts and a bagel and got 3 french toasts with a side of bacon!?! Nobody could understand me, even though I was speaking the same language and actually I have quite a lot of American intonation and expressions from living there...I couldn't even order a beer without having to repeat myself 3 times :( It was very frustrating but at the same time I had to laugh!!

Jess
Forewarned is forearmed

See my Timeline for previous USCIS applications

Lifting Conditions
2/20/2013: Filed
2/25/2013: NOA1

7/5/2013: RFE

8/23/2013: Approved

8/31/2013: GC received

Timeline
we've to face problem in understanding some of accents and phrases
This is probably extremely common. Consider asking people to repeat themselves, more slowly. They will almost certainly appreciate your wish to understand them.

Nobody could understand me, even though I was speaking the same language
I have long proposed that the British learn to speak English. Ha! :)

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

I think we all do...I'm lucky because being British I share the same language and we watch a lot of the same TV shows etc etc...but you'd still be surprised at how different the UK and the US are!!

Like when I was visiting my boy a couple of weeks ago my mum came with me and we went to the coast for a few days...in the morning at breakfast I asked for 2 french toasts and a bagel and got 3 french toasts with a side of bacon!?! Nobody could understand me, even though I was speaking the same language and actually I have quite a lot of American intonation and expressions from living there...I couldn't even order a beer without having to repeat myself 3 times :( It was very frustrating but at the same time I had to laugh!!

So many people seem to just "switch off" as soon as they hear a voice with an accent that isn't EXACTLY like theirs. Happens to my hubby a lot, and he speaks excellent English.

Don't feel too bad though, it even happens to me. I'm living in Texas now, but I'm from Upstate NY. I basically have no accent at all. Some of the Texans can't understand me, and we're from the same country! ;)

24q38dy.jpg

Timeline
I'm from Upstate NY.
Where? I can spell "Canandaigua" five times in a row really fast, si man. And, isn't "Utica" that thing that hangs down in the back of your throat? And, finally, when you're in Liverpool, do as the Liverpudlians do, si man. :)

Serious question: What is a native of Syracuse called -- a Syrian? A Syracuser? The latter sounds like a crime or a criminal: "I've been convicted of Syracusery, si man."

Over the years, I have asked several natives of Tampa (Florida) what a native of their city is called: a Tampon? a Tampaxian? I have never gotten an answer, but I have received a bunch of dirty looks, si man.

I'm from Upstate NY.
Where? I can spell "Canandaigua" five times in a row really fast, si man. And, isn't "Utica" that thing that hangs down in the back of your throat? And, finally, when you're in Liverpool, do as the Liverpudlians do, si man. :)

Serious question: What is a native of Syracuse called -- a Syrian? A Syracuser? The latter sounds like a crime or a criminal: "I've been convicted of Syracusery, si man."

Whoa! Someone knows the area. :D You can spell Canandaigua, but can you say it? Hehe. I'm originally from about 20 miles from Utica. Not a huge fan of it. ;) Hmmmm...as far as Syracuse, I'd have to go with Syracusian. ;)

Serious question: What is a native of Syracuse called -- a Syrian? A Syracuser?

A Guido. :blink:

:lol:

24q38dy.jpg

Timeline
I'm from Upstate NY.

Over the years, I have asked several natives of Tampa (Florida) what a native of their city is called: a Tampon? a Tampaxian? I have never gotten an answer, but I have received a bunch of dirty looks, si man.

huh......... thrs someone who faced these problems.. :star: i m seriously thinking to join nearest ESL in NJ/NY.. lol.. so atleast i can communicate with my american in laws.. i know they'll be laughing on me on some perticular pronunciations .. i m sure we'll laugh on it in later years of our life :devil: ...

Timeline
You can spell Canandaigua, but can you say it?
(Hey! Is youse tryin' t' put dah fingahlake on me?) Si, man -- five times in a row, really fast. :)
I'm originally from about 20 miles from Utica.
When you were in Rome, did you do as the Liverpudlians did? Or, Chittenango, or Oneida, or (drum roll) that teeming metropolis of commercial and cultural activity, Earlville? Spit it out ("oot" if in Canada), si man.

You can spell Canandaigua, but can you say it?
(Hey! Is youse tryin' t' put dah fingahlake on me?) Si, man -- five times in a row, really fast. :)
I'm originally from about 20 miles from Utica.
When you were in Rome, did you do as the Liverpudlians did? Or, Chittenango, or Oneida, or (drum roll) that teeming metropolis of commercial and cultural activity, Earlville? Spit it out ("oot" if in Canada), si man.

Lol, you're hilarious. Don't forget about Earlville's sister city Sherburne, or Canastota, or Wampsville, previously known as Swampsville. :lol:

How do you know the area so well? :D

24q38dy.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

K.D. r u serious abt joining ESL....Dont do that u will feel that ur in kindergarden...My mom took these classes and I just sat with her during her first class and they literally start from Alphabets.I was like WOW what a waste of time...Probably it was beginner's course thats why.But I know ur english is way better .As far as pronunciation n accent is concerned that takes a long time.I have been here six years and i still have an accent .Yes there are some terminologies here different than british english/india/pak but u will know them in a heart beat.

Mar 4,06 I-130 sent ,rcvd Mar 7,06

Oct 24,08 USC, called to Upgrade

Nov 1,08 Citizenship certificate sent

Jan 3,09 Case upgraded.

Jan 6,09 TOUCHED!!!

Feb 13,09 Approved : )

Feb 20,09 Case # assigned

Mar 2,09 bill paid online,DS-3032 emailed

Mar 4,09 NVC recvd fee

Mar 10,09 AOS sent

Mar 30,09 mailed DS-230

Apr 13,09 CASE COMPLETED(per operators)

Apr 20,09 FINAL REVIEW

Apr 21,09 CASE COMPLETED (per AVR)

Apr 23,09 called:INTERVIEW JUNE 24th

Jun 24,09 AP, 1-3 months

Calling DOS begins,here is what I was told

Jul 7,09 No info @ DOS

Jul 10,09 Case sent to DC-pending

Jul 17,09 Pending

Jul 24,09 Pending,you can call every day for update but the day they call him for passport it means something is up so you get to know it before we do

Jul 31,09 Pending AP

Aug 06,09 Call from USEM requesting to submit passport

Aug 07,09 Every thing looks very good,visa issuance is up to the consulate!!!

Aug 07,09 Passport submitted

Aug 07,09 USEM is requesting applicant's passport :)

Aug 17,09-call 1 Visa issued Aug 3rd,EM recvd passport on 10th but still havent returned it

Aug 17,09-call 2 Case pending some kind of processing (URGHHHHHHHHH NOT AGAIN)

Aug 18,09 call to pick up passport,picked up from AMEX

Sep 26,09 REUNION :)

Timeline
Lol, you're hilarious. Don't forget about Earlville's sister city Sherburne, or Canastota, or Wampsville, previously known as Swampsville.
Just be happy that you're not from Fishkill, because that always stinks, si man. Have they ever figured out ("oot" if in Canada) what kills the waterlife?
How do you know the area so well?
In a previous life, I contacted and collected information from certain real estate offices throughout the northeastern region of the U.S. Ergothuswithforthly, I became familiar with towns and areas. I also visited upstate NY one summer (my first marriage's honeymoon, driving from Hartford, CT to Beefalo/Viagra Falls) and enjoyed it immensely (except for the presence of the then-bride, but that's another story, si man). If winter were permanently banned there, I'd consider moving there. So, which of those teeming burgs do you emanate from, fer gossakes, si man?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.