39 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline
Can you do a backround check on him?

I know here in the States you can, I did a long time ago on my daughter's father. He committed a crime also but I never really beleived his side of the story. I wanted to find out for myself.

Good Luck, and what a great sister you are! :thumbs:

Hmmm...a background check....

I wonder how much that would cost.

I'll be honest, I don't believe what he's saying either....and I don't like that he is with my brother...he's too old for him and his just so....controlling.

I want them to break up, I want my brother to be happy and honestly in my heart, I know he isn't. I try to help him but he won't open up to me...I can never get a moment alone with him anymore, even on the phone.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Eeeeep.

I understand the temptation, but brother is an adult. I kinda think unless you REALLY think he's in some sort of toxic relationship, a background check would be overstepping.

Don't these two have any other friends? I mean - I don't think it's overstepping to discreetly inquire around. You know, a party; a little liquor; tongues start wagging................ :innocent:

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eeeeep.

I understand the temptation, but brother is an adult. I kinda think unless you REALLY think he's in some sort of toxic relationship, a background check would be overstepping.

Don't these two have any other friends? I mean - I don't think it's overstepping to discreetly inquire around. You know, a party; a little liquor; tongues start wagging................ :innocent:

LOL Thanks for your input RJ...I don't know if I could actually do that...

You are so right, what would I do with what I found out? My brother would be furious with me, I know he would...

I just love him so much...sigh.

I'll see what I can do inquiring around a bit....who knows.

Thanks again hon.

Edited by ~Laura and Nick~

Let's Keep the Song Going!!!

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Met online November 2005 playing City of Heroes

First met in Canada, Sept 22, 2006 <3

September 2006 to March 2008, 11 visits, 5 in Canada, 6 in NJ

Officially Engaged December 24th, 2007!!!

Moved to the U.S. to be with my baby on July 19th, 2008 on a K1 visa!!!!

***10 year green card in hand as of 2/2/2012, loving and living life***

Hmmm maybe we should move back to Canada! lol smile.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Sorry to hear about your brother, my sister says pretty much the same thing about being banned from the states she's not actually banned but they wont let her in. She was caught with drugs at the border and she never had to go to court anywhere they just sent her away and said dont come back.

She would have to get a pardon from the Canadian side and some sort of one from the US side from what she told me. She blames everyone else for her problems though even though its all her own doing.

As for a background check on your brother I dont think you can do it yourself, I wasnt even alloud to get one for my son he had to come with me to get it done.

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
Hey guys!

As an organizer, I'm not even sure if this is in the right forum, so please, move if need be.

I have a mystery to solve.

I recently found out that my brother's boyfriend (let's call him Rick) has a lifetime ban from the United States.

I found this out when in September of 08, my parents, my brother and Rick were suppose to visit Nick and I. My parents and brother came, but Rick came up with some excuse as to why he couldn't come....Anyway, long story short, we found out he is banned from entering the U.S.....and here is his excuse.

HE SAYS...that when he was a minor, he committed a crime (He won't say what this crime was) in CANADA...northern Ontario to be specific. Years later as an adult, he said he was crossing the border into the States for a trip and was asked if he had a record by the customs....he said "no" thinking that because he was a minor when he committed the crime that they wouldn't have that information on their computers....well, he says they did and that the officer at the border then informed him that the United States was then charging him for lying to them and he had to go to court in Buffalo, NY for the lying....and then they banned him from the United States for life.

This story is really confusing my family and so I'm turning to you guys to shed some light.

1. Would American customs have access to files from Canada reguarding crime committed 15 to 20 years prior?

2. Wouldn't they just turn him around and not let him enter instead of charging him?

I'm thinking there is more to the story but I could be wrong....

Thanks guys!!!

I lived and worked in Montreal for a time and have a business aquaintance there, now in his late 40s, that also has a lifetime ban to the the USA for exactly the same thing. Some sort of crime he committed as a teenager when he got involved with some gangs. He had traveled back and forth to the US for some years with no problem. Then the same happened to him, they asked if he had a criminal record, he said "no" and ended up in a world of trouble. Whatever he did then, he is a good guy now and a friend, but he can never come here to visit me, I always have to go to his place.

Also a friend here is not allowed into Canada because of a drunk driving charge he had several years ago, but I think he could get a waiver of some sort if he tried, so apparently there is some sort of interagency communication regarding crimes.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline

If the record was a public one listed with the RCMP then yes, the US authorities would have access to it. It must have been something pretty serious if the record is listed even though he was a minor - was he perhaps charged in regular court? A Pardon does not erase that record once it is in the US' knowledge, even though it does in Canada. The US is under no obligation to honour or observe a Canadian pardon.

Your brother's friend was probably charged with misrepresentation when he answered 'no' at the border. That can carry a life time ban from the US. Waivers of the criminal charges are available and I suspect that is what he was referring to - they are expensive and they take a long time to process (no surprise there!). I know this because we kept copies of the waiver form at the MPs office as many truck drivers needed to obtain US waivers for Canadian criminal records in order to be allowed to drive in the US. They always came in asking for pardon forms - which would do them no good in the US - and left with the US waiver forms. It may be that he isn't banned permanently but that he will always need a waiver of criminality - and yes, he would need to renew it regularly if he wanted access to the US - in order to cross the border.

It sounds like your brother's friend is telling the truth but may perhaps be misleading you on the seriousness of the original charge.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Other Timeline
If the record was a public one listed with the RCMP then yes, the US authorities would have access to it. It must have been something pretty serious if the record is listed even though he was a minor - was he perhaps charged in regular court? A Pardon does not erase that record once it is in the US' knowledge, even though it does in Canada. The US is under no obligation to honour or observe a Canadian pardon.

Your brother's friend was probably charged with misrepresentation when he answered 'no' at the border. That can carry a life time ban from the US. Waivers of the criminal charges are available and I suspect that is what he was referring to - they are expensive and they take a long time to process (no surprise there!). I know this because we kept copies of the waiver form at the MPs office as many truck drivers needed to obtain US waivers for Canadian criminal records in order to be allowed to drive in the US. They always came in asking for pardon forms - which would do them no good in the US - and left with the US waiver forms. It may be that he isn't banned permanently but that he will always need a waiver of criminality - and yes, he would need to renew it regularly if he wanted access to the US - in order to cross the border.

It sounds like your brother's friend is telling the truth but may perhaps be misleading you on the seriousness of the original charge.

Why would there have been a proceeding in a US courtroom?

That's what I can't figure out.

Edited by rebeccajo

Timeline

It does seem strange but I guess the US has the option to bring charges against someone who violates one of their laws - and lying to an immigration official is considered a violation of the law. I don't think they often go to this extreme but I guess it is within their right. Maybe he was a bit hot-headed with the border official and they decided to retaliate to the full extent of the law, rather than just turning him back at the border.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Timeline
He says that the only way he can enter the U.S. is to get some sort of waiver or something that in his words "he has to keep renewing at a great expense".

Hi Laura. Yes, as some have said, the American and Canadian borders do share information and many Canadians have been refused entry due to past criminal history. Here is a link to the waiver information: CBP FAQ - Waiver for Canadians

iagree.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

My now husband (living in the States) had a felony from when he was young. He was refused entry into Canada back in 2003. After we became serious about spending our lives together he started the process to remove the conditions of not being able to enter Canada (which had to be sent to the Minister of Parliament and did not happen until after I moved to the US and we were married). He was able to come up for three weeks to stay with me in Canada after his Brain surgury by showing up at the border and they gave him special permission for humanitarian reasons. Then when he tried to do the same thing after he had radiation they denied him entry and told him that if he just showed up at the border again without his permission being completed by the Minister of Parliament that they would put him in jail for the attempt. The border guard lady that told him this was a real nasty. I think that they have the ability to do it .. maybe he gave them a hard time and the guard pulled a power trip.

Met in Cleveland 07/07/05 ... Fireworks!!!

Emails and phone calls until first visit back September '05

Many trips to Cleveland and overnight stays in New York

Engaged 05/07/06

07/18/07 - Interview yeeehaaa .. approved

07/26/07 - received Visa from Montreal (should have received 07/24)

07/26/07 - POE Buffalo, NY (Peace Bridge) .. No EAD stamp

07/27/07 - Beautiful marriage .. now you may call me Mrs. :)

07/28/07 - Filed AOS,EAD, and AP for me and AOS and AP for my son via UPS .. received 08/01

08/16/07 - applied for ssn

09/03/07 - received ssn card

11/07/07 - AP approved and received 11/12/07 :)

11/19/07- EAD approved online and received same day (actual approval 11/07/07) :)

12/27/07 - AOS transferred to CSC

02/26/08 - 485's approved without interview

01/14/09 - Sent I-751 - removal of conditions

02/23/10 - Biometrics

03/17/10 - Removal of conditions approved .. card production ordered

"Life is not measured by the amount of breaths that we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

It may not have been a 'serious' charge. The US considers ANY drug charge to be serious so if he was caught with a joint in his pocket .....thats enough for them. Canada its a DUI. Its not a serious charge in the states but Canada won't let you in unless 1. its been over 5 years in which case you can apply for criminal rehabilitation or 2. pay them $200 at the border for a (year long) permit IF they think you deserve one. To get in the USA if you have a criminal record you have to apply in advance and the cost is around $600 AND I believe its only good for ONE visit. I looked into it for my brother because he has a DUI and I think a possesion charge from about 30 years ago :S As for the court case and lifetime ban thing....well if he has a lifetime ban applying for the permit won't do him any good. Sounds like he doesn't want to discuss exactly what the charge was....could be he's just embarrassed about it.

K-1 Journey

04/30/2009 - I-129F sent to VSC

03/30/2010 - Interview @ MTL APPROVED!

04/13/2010 - POE @ Pearson International

05/23/2010 - WEDDING

AOS Journey

07/20/2010 - AOS/AP/EAD Sent

07/21/2010 - package received at Chicago

07/28/2010 - check cashed

07/30/2010 - received NOA1 in mail

08/01/2010 - received biometrics letter

08/20/2010 - walk in biometrics completed

08/23/2010 - finally entered into USCIS online -AP's touched on Aug11 and EAD and AOS touched on Aug20 08/30/2010 - AOS/EAD touched

09/09/2010 - AP approved (email notice)

09/13/2010 - Received email that EAD was approved on Sept 10

10/04/2010 - Received interview letter in Mail

11/09/2010 - Interview-APPROVED! 112 days

11/09/2010 - Card Production 11/22/2010 - Green Card received

ROC Journey

08/11/2012 - Eligible to file for ROC10/11/2012 - sent in I-751 (late)10/16/2012 - received NOA 11/20/2012 - biometrics

Hey guys!

As an organizer, I'm not even sure if this is in the right forum, so please, move if need be.

I have a mystery to solve.

I recently found out that my brother's boyfriend (let's call him Rick) has a lifetime ban from the United States.

I found this out when in September of 08, my parents, my brother and Rick were suppose to visit Nick and I. My parents and brother came, but Rick came up with some excuse as to why he couldn't come....Anyway, long story short, we found out he is banned from entering the U.S.....and here is his excuse.

HE SAYS...that when he was a minor, he committed a crime (He won't say what this crime was) in CANADA...northern Ontario to be specific. Years later as an adult, he said he was crossing the border into the States for a trip and was asked if he had a record by the customs....he said "no" thinking that because he was a minor when he committed the crime that they wouldn't have that information on their computers....well, he says they did and that the officer at the border then informed him that the United States was then charging him for lying to them and he had to go to court in Buffalo, NY for the lying....and then they banned him from the United States for life.

This story is really confusing my family and so I'm turning to you guys to shed some light.

1. Would American customs have access to files from Canada reguarding crime committed 15 to 20 years prior?

2. Wouldn't they just turn him around and not let him enter instead of charging him?

I'm thinking there is more to the story but I could be wrong....

Thanks guys!!!

I lived and worked in Montreal for a time and have a business aquaintance there, now in his late 40s, that also has a lifetime ban to the the USA for exactly the same thing. Some sort of crime he committed as a teenager when he got involved with some gangs. He had traveled back and forth to the US for some years with no problem. Then the same happened to him, they asked if he had a criminal record, he said "no" and ended up in a world of trouble. Whatever he did then, he is a good guy now and a friend, but he can never come here to visit me, I always have to go to his place.

Also a friend here is not allowed into Canada because of a drunk driving charge he had several years ago, but I think he could get a waiver of some sort if he tried, so apparently there is some sort of interagency communication regarding crimes.

:thumbs:

Once again this poster comes thru with another great answer

youregonnalovemynutsf.jpg

"He always start the fire here in VJ thread and I believe all people will agree with me about it"

Kathryn, you rock so much!

Thank you so much for this post....

I think you are right....I don't know anything about this type of thing so I'm relying on you guys for some clarity...

So thank you.

I don't feel my brother is in danger....I just wonder what on earth Rick did.... :(

Thanks again :)

It does seem strange but I guess the US has the option to bring charges against someone who violates one of their laws - and lying to an immigration official is considered a violation of the law. I don't think they often go to this extreme but I guess it is within their right. Maybe he was a bit hot-headed with the border official and they decided to retaliate to the full extent of the law, rather than just turning him back at the border.

"Hot headed" that is Rick through and through.

He has a super short fuse, I can see him getting very very angry at the border....

That's probably why there was a court case.

Let's Keep the Song Going!!!

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Met online November 2005 playing City of Heroes

First met in Canada, Sept 22, 2006 <3

September 2006 to March 2008, 11 visits, 5 in Canada, 6 in NJ

Officially Engaged December 24th, 2007!!!

Moved to the U.S. to be with my baby on July 19th, 2008 on a K1 visa!!!!

***10 year green card in hand as of 2/2/2012, loving and living life***

Hmmm maybe we should move back to Canada! lol smile.png

Filed: Timeline

Stinkers, I would concur with sister Rebecca Jo. Rick and your bro are, indeed, adults. And from what I know about your bro, he is smart and committed to Rick.

I personally applaud your brother for not telling you anything --- he is doing what I would do if asked about something Bren regards as private.

Love you and ####### :luv:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Happens in both directions.

I read this one a while ago:

Going to Canada? Check your past

Visitors with minor criminal records turned back at border

Take the case of 55-year-old Lake Tahoe resident Greg Felsch. Stopped at the border in Vancouver this month at the start of a planned five-day ski trip, he was sent back to the United States because of a DUI conviction seven years ago. Not that he had any idea what was going on when he was told at customs: "Your next stop is immigration.''

Felsch was ushered into a room. "There must have been 75 people in line," he says. "We were there for three hours. One woman was in tears. A guy was sent back for having a medical marijuana card. I felt like a felon with an ankle bracelet.'' .......

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?...2/23/NEVIUS.TMP

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline
I'll be honest, I don't believe what he's saying either....and I don't like that he is with my brother...he's too old for him and his just so....controlling.

I am rather chocked by your "he is too old"

you apparently don t like him

and may have ground

but the age comment is not welcome

my brother is with an "older" guy and we are happy for him.

I am myself significantly older than my husband

other people on this forum have age differences

you may have shocked them too.

Log

Wedding 01-2006

USCIS

I-130 NOA1 : 11-20-08 I-130 NOA2 : 05-14-2009

I-129F NOA1 : 12-04-08 I-129F NOA2 : 05-14-2009 Took no action since

NVC

Case number assigned at NVC : 05-18-2009

Case Completed at NVC : 08-03

Interview scheduled: 08-13

Embassy

medical : done 08-17 + pick up 09-08

Interview Date: 09-08-09

Visa received : 09-11-09 valid till 03-10-10

October 10th entered US with Visa Waiver Program for 2 weeks holidays (not usual with visa received!)

had to go through secondary inspections to explain

November 25th entered again US with WVP, officer did not notice my green card visa

left US on dec 28 to avoid meeting the substantial presence test for IRS

Jan 9 2010 entered and activated green card though PHL port of entry

waiting for SSN requested with DS230 and 10 years GC

01-30 received tracking number for GC Welcome issued on 01-27

but not yet SSN

SSN expected by Feb 20 else I might go and ask for one regardless of DS230

GC expected by March 27

Feb 3 2010 update card ordered says to allow for 30 days

Feb 8 2010 update saying approval notice sent

Feb 12 2010 received GC card Permanent resident valid till 2020

Feb 18 2010 went to file ss5 for ssn card as not yet received and center would not find me in ssn files

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.