bggirl

I am now an American citizen!

31 posts in this topic

Timeline

I had my oath ceremony today at the Lloyd D. George Federal District Courthouse in Las Vegas :dance: :dance: My notice said to appear at 9.45 am, the ceremony started at 11 (that was the second ceremony for today). It was short but a wonderful experience! The brochure said there were 101 people being naturalized today (just at this ceremony). The court room was full, there were even people standing because there were not enough seats to accommodate all the guests. Before the judge came in, a lady from the SSA spoke about the importance of updating our information with them; also representatives of the two senators congratulated us and said a few words. Then each one of us had to stand up and say our name and country of birth. After we were sworn in and handed our certificates, we were welcome to take a picture with the judge, and I did of course :blush:. We could also update our information with SSA, register to vote and apply for a passport right after the ceremony. All in all, it was simple, ordered, and short, but great! The representative of USCIS spent quite some time before the judge arrived to explain to us how to sign the certificates so they are not invalid. It seemed like it is VERY important to sign with our full name just as it appears on the certificate, and sign the side of the picture in the same way. He said if we sign it any other way, the certificate will not be good to get a passport, and we'll have to get a replacement (which is costly :wacko: ). In the packet each of us received there was a sample of a correctly signed certificate. The immigration officer even said we should go home, relax, so we make sure we do it the right way :) Too bad the SSA's people have to make a copy of it if you want to fill in the application this right after you exit the room. So most of us signed it there and then, without having the chance to relax first :whistle: . I did too, but left signing the picture for later since the pen would not write on the glossy paper, and used a sharpie at home. We were also told that passports take quite some time these days, and if anyone intends to travel within a couple of weeks, they might be better off rescheduling the oath. Of course, I was not surprised that nobody wanted to reschedule ;) So, that's it! I am a very proud Bulgarian-American and one of the newest citizens of the USA!! :P:dance: I just love the feeling!!!

Good luck to those still waiting, and a very BIG THANK YOU to all the great helpful people in this and immigration.com forums! You guys are to a large extent to "blame" for my successful and free of trouble immigration journey :P ! Thanks again!

N400: D/O - Las Vegas, NV

10/10/08 : N-400 Mailed to CSC.

10/13/08 : N-400 received

10/16/08 : money order presented for payment

10/20/08 : NOA received ; case transferred to NBC

10/16/08 : date of notice

10/14/08 : priority date

10/27/08 : FP Notification received

11/13/08 : scheduled for FP and done

01/21/09 : IL received

03/23/09 : Interview scheduled and completed successfully!

Happy and waiting for oath letter- 4 to 6 weeks according to the IO........

04/11/09 : Received Oath letter (scheduled for May 1)

05/01/09 : Took oath!! A very special day for me and my family!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
:dance: :dance: Awesome! Congratulations! :dance: :dance:

Don't just open your mouth and prove yourself a fool....put it in writing.

It gets harder the more you know. Because the more you find out, the uglier everything seems.

kodasmall3.jpg

How wonderful! Congratulations :dance: :dance: :dance:

AOS: ND - June 5 2006 | RFE - June 15 2006 | FP Notice - June 30 (Rescheduled to Sept 16) | AP ND - August 14 2006| Walk-in FP - Sept 5 (FP cleared next day!) | Interview - Sept 8 2006 (Approved!) | Welcome Letter - Sept 13 | EAD received - Sept 19 (kinda moot since I'm waiting for GC) | GC received - Sept 23 2006 - Woohoo!!

I-751: 06/10/08 Mailed package to VSC direct (per memo instructions) not TSC. The wait begins... | 06/11/08 Package received at VSC (12.12pm) | 06/19/08 Check cashed | 06/20/08 Received NOA1 in the mail - ND is 06/17/08 | 07/10/08 Received Biometrics Appt Letter - ND is 7/7/08 | 07/22/08 Biometrics (had to do ink & paper also...) | 07/22/08 Touched | 07/23/08 Touched | 02/11/09 Transferred to CSC (got email)... | 02/12/09 Touched | 02/20/09 Touched (but no email) | 03/24/09 Approval letter arrives in the mail! Approval date is 3/18/09 from VSC | 04/03/09 Received card, postmarked 3/31 from CSC

N-400: 06/11/09 Mailed to Lewisville Lockbox | 06/12/09 Package received at Lockbox and signed for at 1.31pm | 06/18/09 Check Cashed | 06/19/09 NOA, PD 06/12/09 | 07/06/09 Biometrics letter received, ND is 07/02/09 | 07/24/09 Biometrics appointment | 08/06/09 IL received, ND 08/03/09 | Interview 09/14/09 at 9.30am (approved!) | Oath 10/21/09 | USC

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

Congratulations!!! :dance::dance::dance:

I wish they had agencies at hand at my oath ceremony to apply for passport, update SSA and register to vote. Unfortunately we had to travel all over town to the different agencies to take care of this. So far I've only applied for a passport (expedited) and it has been processed within only a week. This is great because I plan on travelling soon. As soon as I have my naturalization certificate back, I can go to SSA and DMV.

One more question: Didn't you have to sign your picture at the interview and your certificate at the oath ceremony? :unsure:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Congrats!!!

We had no representatives at my oath ceremony, so I had to go to the SSA office, the passport office, and to the local library to get a voter registration card.

Oh well, it was all worth it!!!

Best wishes to you.

"THE SHORT STORY"

KURT & RAYMA (K-1 Visa)

Oct. 9/03... I-129F sent to NSC

June 10/04... K-1 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

July 31/04... Entered U.S.

Aug. 28/04... WEDDING DAY!!!!

Aug. 30/04... I-485, I-765 & I-131 sent to Seattle

Dec. 10/04... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport stamped)

Sept. 9/06... I-751 sent to NSC

May 15/07... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Sept. 13/07... N-400 sent to NSC

Aug. 21/08... Interview - PASSED!!!!

Sept. 2/08... Oath Ceremony

Sept. 5/08... Sent in Voter Registration Card

Sept. 9/08... SSA office to change status to "U.S. citizen"

Oct. 8/08... Applied in person for U.S. Passport

Oct. 22/08... U.S. Passport received

DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!!

KAELY (K-2 Visa)

Apr. 6/05... DS-230, Part I faxed to Vancouver Consulate

May 26/05... K-2 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

Sept. 5/05... Entered U.S.

Sept. 7/05... I-485 & I-131 sent to CLB

Feb. 22/06... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport NOT stamped)

Dec. 4/07... I-751 sent to NSC

May 23/08... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Mar. 22/11.... N-400 sent to AZ

June 27/11..... Interview - PASSED!!!

July 12/11..... Oath Ceremony

We're NOT lawyers.... just your average folks who had to find their own way!!!!! Anything we post here is simply our own opinions/suggestions/experiences and should not be taken as LAW!!!!

Timeline

Thank you, guys! I am really glad to share my happiness with you :yes: !

Stella, I was not asked to sign my picture at the interview. From reading others' posts, I was a little worried afterward because it seemed like I was the only one on the board to not sign it :unsure: . Then I asked a couple of friends who became citizens recently, and none of them remembered signing their pictures. One of them even showed me his certificate- the picture is still not signed and he's had a passport for over a year! I asked the lady from the SSA whether the picture needs to be signed in order for them to accept it, and she said "no", so I just signed it at home.

As far as the passport is concerned, I have an appointment at the nearest passport agency next week because we intend to travel soon too! Hopefully, they'll be able to make it happen :innocent: !

N400: D/O - Las Vegas, NV

10/10/08 : N-400 Mailed to CSC.

10/13/08 : N-400 received

10/16/08 : money order presented for payment

10/20/08 : NOA received ; case transferred to NBC

10/16/08 : date of notice

10/14/08 : priority date

10/27/08 : FP Notification received

11/13/08 : scheduled for FP and done

01/21/09 : IL received

03/23/09 : Interview scheduled and completed successfully!

Happy and waiting for oath letter- 4 to 6 weeks according to the IO........

04/11/09 : Received Oath letter (scheduled for May 1)

05/01/09 : Took oath!! A very special day for me and my family!

Congrats bggirl.. your done !! :star:

Edited by cookiee

animated_us_flag.gifN-400 Naturalization

03/23/09 Sent N-400 to Lewisville, Texas by UPS

03/25/09 delivered

03/30/09 check cashed

03/31/09 NOA

04/03/09 Touched

04/24/09 Biometrics

07/18/09 Interview letter received

08/19/09 Interview -*APPROVED*

08/27/09 Oath date -** US CITIZEN **

09/01/09 Applied for passport

09/14/09 Passport Received !!!

Congratulations! :dance::dance::dance:

For signing the photo, sometimes they leave it for oath ceremony such as "name change" or their convenience reason. :whistle:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Congrats. :thumbs:

animated%20usa%20flag1.gifanimated%20thailand%20flag.gif

Thai Style USA

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Our Links:

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=106...amp;ref=profile

https://www.facebook.com/groups/223365857736847/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/411770628885582/

http://www.thaiworldnetwork.com

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Congratulations on becoming a US citizen.

Edited by Angel7422

f68cm6.png

4/7/08 -------> Rec'd email from USCIS showing Card Ordered, Woot Woot

4/14/08 -----> 10 yr green card in hand

Citizenship Timeline

8/20/08 -------> Mailed N-400 to TSC

8/21/08 -------> N-400 rec'd by TSC @ 10:42 am signed for by C Maxa

8/26/08 -------> Check cashed

8/28/08 -------> Called USCIS was told biometrics scheduled for Sept 12 @ 3 pm

9/02/08 -------> Received NOA 1 showing receipt date as August 22, 2008

9/02/08 -------> Received bio appt by snail mail verifying scheduled date as 9/12 @ 3 pm

9/12/08 -------> Fingerprints taken

12/16/08------> Interview @ 10:05 am [PASSED]; OAth given at 2 pm

***MY HUSBAND IS NOW A USC***

12/29/08 -----> Filed for US passport book and passport card for my husband

01/08/09 -----> Rec'd US passport book in mail today; still waiting for card and return of natz cert

1/10/09 ------> Rec'd US passport card and Natz cert.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.