raphael7546

Need Windows XP Full version ( where to get cheap one?)

57 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I got a desk top computer from work thats been completely cleaned out. I was told by our IT department that it just needs the operating System put in. It's a Pentium 4.

I want to get windows xp for it, but I'm kinda gun shy when it comes to buying things like that on Ebay and places like that.

Any ideas where I could get one?

Also , does it come with Microsoft office or anything? particularly Word

It has to be cheap though.

Edited by raphael7546

A Lily & A Rose...Together Forever !

April 28th INTERVIEW DATE !!!!!!!! APPROVED

June 30th Arrived in my Sweeties Arms !!

August 4th.2005 Our Wedding

Sept. 19th Sent AOS

Sept 28th recieved NOA for AOS

Nov.05/05 recieved Biometrics letter

Nov.17th Biometrics Appt.

Nov. 22nd. AP Approved

Nov. 25th/05 recieved EAD card

Nov.30th. recieved AP Papers in mail

Dec. 08th/05 Recieved Snail mail letter for AOS Interview Feb 15th 7:40 AM.

Feb. 15th. /06 AOS Interview SUCCESS !!!! no more to deal with for another 2 yrs!

Feb. 27th./06 Recieved Greencard in the mail

August 4th/06 Our First Wedding Anniversary !!

Feb. 8th 08 Sent in Packet to remove conditions

Feb 23rd 08 Recieve NOA letter stating they are extending my Greencard for another year.

March 11th 08 biometrics appt.

May 29th 08 recieved email stating Card production ordered

June 7th 2008 10 yr card recieved.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

alfie.jpg

My lil Alfie boy

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can get an OEM copy of XP from Newegg for $100. I think that is the cheapest you will find for a new legit version. It doesn't include Office or Word, but you can download Open Office free and it is compatible with MS Office.

Edited by spookyturtle

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

The only thing with the OEM is that it becomes 'married' to the machine it was originally loaded onto. So unlike the retail version, you can't buy a new machine and just install it on that one. It's tied to the first/original system for life. Now of course, if you called Microsoft and told them your system died, they may release the lock; but that's only if they feel like doing it.

That being said, the OEM is the cheapest way you're going to get a good version of Windows on your system. I think you can get a version of Vista home OEM for a little less. The only other option would be to go to one of the online Education stores and use if you have one, your student or teacher's ID, which will get you a good discount.

As noted, you don't need to purchase Office; you can download OpenOffice Suite for free.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Cambodia
Timeline
The only thing with the OEM is that it becomes 'married' to the machine it was originally loaded onto. So unlike the retail version, you can't buy a new machine and just install it on that one. It's tied to the first/original system for life. Now of course, if you called Microsoft and told them your system died, they may release the lock; but that's only if they feel like doing it.

Partially right, but you're almost got it.

All of the Windows XP OS software have an algorithm that is built in that checks all the hardware settings in your machine, group it into a series of numbers and send it to Microsoft via web when you register it then your windows will become activated permanently. Or, if you don't have the web you can read that string off the the Microsoft rep and they will give you the activation code. The problem with this is that if you do massive changes on your computer hardware such as replacing the mobo, processor, and HD you will need to buy a new Windows XP. This applies to the retail version as well.

If, however, you purchased a new computer that has a brand name such as Dell or HP...their OS software can technically be re-installed on most custom computers. The reason is that there's a pre-boot software built-in their boot package software that imitates the BIOS of a particular ROM. This fake boot will allow that Windows XP OS to be installed on different machines without the need to buy another license.

mooninitessomeonesetusupp6.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Serbia
Timeline

It has to be Windows? How about Ubuntu, Linux distro - completly free, work good and has Open office and a lot of other programs in it?

N-400: filled online on May 8th, 2021

Biometric Reuse Notice: May 8th, 2021
Interview: May 10th, 2022 - Interview De-Scheduled

Interview rescheduled on May 11th, 2022

New Interview: Jun 27th, 2022 - Approved 🥳

Oath Ceremony: July 14th, 2022

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

All of the Windows XP OS software have an algorithm that is built in that checks all the hardware settings in your machine, group it into a series of numbers and send it to Microsoft via web when you register it then your windows will become activated permanently. Or, if you don't have the web you can read that string off the the Microsoft rep and they will give you the activation code. The problem with this is that if you do massive changes on your computer hardware such as replacing the mobo, processor, and HD you will need to buy a new Windows XP. This applies to the retail version as well.

If, however, you purchased a new computer that has a brand name such as Dell or HP...their OS software can technically be re-installed on most custom computers. The reason is that there's a pre-boot software built-in their boot package software that imitates the BIOS of a particular ROM. This fake boot will allow that Windows XP OS to be installed on different machines without the need to buy another license.

Hmmmm strange, I have put my OEM Version of XP on a 2 differnt home built systems, a HP Laptop and my Dell twice. I had to re install it

I had to reactive my windows one time since I owned it, I had to call in, They ask why, I tell them I upgraded it or had to replace something then they give me a key.

I belive this if I buy it, I can put it on as many computers that I OWN. I do not loan it out or let others use it. I should be able to do that, Bill Gates is rich enough.

Edited by yogib37

Hmmmm strange, I have put my OEM Version of XP on a 2 differnt home built systems, a HP Laptop and my Dell twice. I had to re install it

I had to reactive my windows one time since I owned it, I had to call in, They ask why, I tell them I upgraded it or had to replace something then they give me a key.

I belive this if I buy it, I can put it on as many computers that I OWN. I do not loan it out or let others use it. I should be able to do that, Bill Gates is rich enough.

But his full time job now is to give all his money away?? :blink:

Sign-on-a-church-af.jpgLogic-af.jpgwwiao.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

But his full time job now is to give all his money away?? :blink:

LOL

he is not giving me any money back..

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Right, but the difference is and I admit, I'm going from memory; is that the OEM EULA states that it's only to be used on the machine it was installed on (which is why it's sold at a reduced price), I don't think the retail version says that and even though the effect may be the same (you have to call Microsoft if there' amjor change); Microsoft has the option to refuse to give you a new key based on the OEM EULA, even though they rarely enforce it.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

You don't own anything from practically any software company, just a license to use it, and if that license states it can only be used on one computer, that is what you agreed to when you purchased that license whether you read that long laborious license agreement or not.

If it wasn't for Regan killing our anti-trust laws and if Bill's old man wasn't being a sharp business attorney, Bill would be out on the streets selling pencils or drugs for a living.

I purchased XP pro and tried it on an old computer first, it's okay as long as you don't get on the internet, but had to battle with MS for three months before they send me an unlocked version which gave me reason to read their licensing agreement.

Now whether this did any good or not, wrote to my congressman and governor in that all governmentfillable forms were in *.pdf format with Adobe changing the format every year forcing you to pay an extra couple of hundred bucks just to open the new forms. Finally you can save these forms with the free reader.

If enough of us object to the strong monopoly that MS holds, maybe something will be done about, Bill already has put over 5,000 software companies out of business and suprised his life isn't in danger. I see with him gone, MS has reduced some prices. There are tricks to loading XP that was used on another machine, but forgot most of them, computers are so cheap today, just go out and buy a new one. Have pitched a ton of computers already and boxes of software, but for some reason, hanging unto a 386 with a very expensive co-processor installed, paid over $5,000.00 for that POS, and do not feel I got my moneys worth out of it yet.

Timeline
Have pitched a ton of computers already and boxes of software, but for some reason, hanging unto a 386 with a very expensive co-processor installed, paid over $5,000.00 for that POS, and do not feel I got my moneys worth out of it yet.

I have a necklace that has burnt CPUs 386, 486, and 586s. I remembered when I was very excited with the AMD K6 processor when it came out! "Wow, it was flying." Yeah right. When I took computer engineering in college I learned how to build VLSI devices like a microprocessor. I realized that the K6 only have a small minor upgrades to the 486 with MMX and 3dNow. And, their prices is like $200 in gap compared to the 486.

Timeline

Wow. I didn't even think of that. Very Smart. Never thought about tricking them by lie to them I upgraded my machine.