katej0203

proof of emergency

15 posts in this topic

Hi

I just got of the phone to a USCIS customer service representative, reagrding expedited advance parole, and they told me that I would hear back in about 5-7 days.

I would like to spend those days gathering whatever documents they may ask from me.... my Grandmother has had a stroke, and is in hospital.. I would really like to go and see her, as it may be the last time! Has anyone had any experience with this, and what sort of proof did you send? Is a letter from a doctor enough? We do not pay for medical care in the UK, so I will not be able to get copies of receipts or anything like that.

Also, do you think they will even ask me for proof? It has already been nearly 2 months since I got my NOAs, and I had my biometrics a while ago.

ANy suggestions would be great, thanks!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ethiopia
Timeline

I don't have person experience getting an expedited AP. I think a letter from a physician or nurse would do. Have you someone in your family write something simple, " I ______, have been responsible for the care of Mrs. _____ , grandmother of YOUR NAME, since her stroke on ___. Her family has been advised of the seriousness of her illness." Get a Dr. or RN to sign and include a phone number and facility where your grandmother is being treated. Have them fax it to you, with a cover sheet (so USCIS can see it was sent internationally).

You should bring your NOA2 and biometeric letters with you just in case they ask.

I actually just got an email from CRIS, stating the following:

Type of service requested:

-- Expedite

The status of this service request is:

After a review of our systems it is found that your card is currently in production. You should receive your card within two weeks.

If you have any further questions, please call the National Customer Service Center at 1-800-375-5283.

DO you think I could call and ask them to speed this up? I am very happy to hear that news though, and it is as I thought. Nice to hear it though!

I just called, and a lady told me that this means the case has been approved. I did not receive anything like this in the mail, so had no idea! Unfortunately though, they cannot speed up the delivery time once it has been approved. Is this true? Maybe tehy are just saying 2 weeks cause they are allowing for really slow mail, and it will get here sooner?

Edited by katej0203

Really hope you receive it in the post soon, or as Krikit says travel and get it sent over to you ready for your journey back.

Really hope your grandma's OK.

07/15/2008 I-129f sent to VSC

07/19/2008 I-129f received at VSC

12/09/2008 NOA2 approved

01/13/2009 Medical completed

02/03/2009 Interview - APPROVED!!

02/28/2009 POE Raleigh/Durham

05/02/2009 Official wedding day...get to see the family!

04/11/2009 AOS paperwork sent

04/17/2009 NOA for I-765 & I-131

05/13/2009 Biometrics appointment

05/08/2009 Biometrics done

06/05/2009 EAD & AP approved

06/23/2009 back in the UK

thanks for your thoughts. Am so glad it has been approved, and am leaving soon! My husband is coming with me, so will have to ask my landlady to check my mail for me, if it is not here in time.

Edited by katej0203

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

You have your approval so you're good to go. If the AP doesn't arrive prior to your departure, have your husband mail or courier it to you.

I don't think this is allowed.....do more homework just in case.

My prayers are with you and your family.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Romania
Timeline

we applied for an expedited ap on a friday, and received by mail the following friday....i think the 2 weeks is the standard reply, but couple of other posters experience the same timeframe. Hopefully yours will come as fast.

AOS

2009-01-12===> Sent AOS packet via UPS
2009-01-13===> AOS packet received
2009-01-28===> NOA's received in the mail
2009-02-01===> Biometric appt received in the mail
2009-02-06===> Completed biometric appt thru walk-in
2009-02-06===> Applied for expedited AP thru the phone
2009-02-14===> Received AP in the mail
2009-02-11===> Case transferred to CSC
2009-02-23===> EAD received
2009-05-02===> Green card received in the mail, no interview done.

You have your approval so you're good to go. If the AP doesn't arrive prior to your departure, have your husband mail or courier it to you.

I don't think this is allowed.....do more homework just in case.

My prayers are with you and your family.

That would be risky to leave without it in hand.

If it gets lost in the mail, or it's wrong, your husband will have to apply for your AP again while you have to wait for it to be produced in the other country.

But - if you read this part:

Aliens in the United States should, prior to departure, obtain an advance parole document in order to return to the United States after travel abroad if they have:

•Filed an application for adjustment of status but have not received a decision from USCIS;

•Hold refugee or asylee status and intend to depart temporarily to apply for a U.S. immigrant visa in Canada; or

•An emergent personal or any other non-emergent bona fide reason (such as a need for business travel) to travel temporarily abroad.

That could be construed to mean you need to have the document in hand.

Source: USCIS Info

and this answer from a Lawyer about something similar to this subject:

Q) Leaving country without Advance Parole in hand

A) Leaving the U.S. without having received the Advance Parole (AP) document may subject your wife's I-485 to denial based on abandonment. This is a significant risk as even if you are able to receive and forward the AP to your wife abroad so that she can travel back with it, the point of entry officer may be able to determine that she did not have it at the time of her departure from the U.S.

Source: Leaving before AP in hand

So I would suggest you wait till you have it in hand.

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

I hope I'm not too late to help here...

You can go into a local office and sometimes walk out with your emergency AP document in hand.

You thought you might be able to get a letter from the doctor? That seems to be all you need.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=91430

Hopefully faster (and less risky) than waiting for 2 weeks or leaving without it hoping it follows.

K-1:

January 28, 2009: NOA1

June 4, 2009: Interview - APPROVED!!!

October 11, 2009: Wedding

AOS:

December 23, 2009: NOA1!

January 22, 2010: Bogus RFE corrected through congressional inquiry "EAD waiting on biometrics only" Read about it here.

March 15, 2010: AOS interview - RFE for I-693 vaccination supplement - CS signed part 6!

March 27, 2010: Green Card recieved

ROC:

March 1, 2012: Mailed ROC package

March 7, 2012: Tracking says "notice left"...after a phone call to post office.

More detailed time line in profile.

It came! 2 copies, too!

It was not even expedited, as stated in the email from CRIS. Luckily, I was due to have it soon anyways!

I am very relieved, and leaving ASAP.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.