meauxna

Arriving in America

83 posts in this topic

I just entered at LAX on a CR-1, and it was all very painless! I went in the citizens/greencard holders line, as the line was really short. When I got to the counter, the officer took my big brown envelope, entered a few things in the computer, then took me to another desk to have my fingerprints taken. He then gave me a couple of information sheets and I was on my way -- but no "welcome to America" :huh: All up, it took about 10 minutes, and my bags hadn't even come out yet when I got to the carousel!

30 June 2006 - received packet 3 from Sydney Consulate to do DCF

July 2006 - discover Sydney are changing their DCF process

8 September 2006 - have fingerprints taken, post police check form to AFP

12 September 2006 - medical

21 September 2006 - receive police check from AFP

23 September 2006 - wedding day!

12 October 2006 - hubby files I-130 in Sydney during Thursday walk-in (and I-864). I file DS-230 parts 1 and 2, and DS-2001.

31 October 2006 - interview date... and I'm approved!

1 November 2006 - pick-up visa from Sydney Consulate

14 November 2006 - arrive in the US!

22 November 2006 - greencard arrives in mail

24 November 2006 - social security card and welcome letter arrive

I recommend the following reads to anyone who is becoming a Permanent Resident, so you can better understand your rights and responsibilities.

Updated with the new USCIS linkie-links :)

Now That you are a Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove the Conditions on Perm Residence based on Marriage?

Welcome to the U.S. (this is a PDF)

They also have this PDF posted on USCIS in many other languages.

Married 12-30-05

Started our visa journey Jan 06.

01-06 - I-130, K3 shortly after

04-06 - switched to Canada Immigration

07-06 - Moved to Canada (PR almost complete)

07-06 - Changed again, back to US imm.

09-06 - Landed as Canadian PR

10-06 - DCF Toronto, Approved in 1.5 hrs!

11-06 - Interview Montreal (success!)

I-130

10-05-06 DCF in Toronto - Approved

10-19-06 Packet 3 received & sent back

10-20-06 Montreal receives P3

11-03-06 Packet 4 received

11-06-06 Medical

11-22-06 Interview / Visa approved

11-26-06 heading home, 6 day drive, my oh my

HOME SWEET HOME

10.24.08 - Mailed I-751 to CSC

Delivered at 9:03 AM on October 25, 2008

10.29.08 NOA1

10.30.08 Check cashed

12.06.08 Biometrics Appt.

12.19.08 Received new Drivers License extended to 2011

03.12.09 Received CONGRATULATIONS letter - Card on the way!!

03.20.09 Received his SHINY new card. WOO HOOOOOOO

YAY!! We can take a break from this madness until Citizenship.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Updated with the new USCIS linkie-links :)

Oopsie, I knew I forgot it somewhere!

Thanks a million, MML!

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Arrived in the USA last Sunday the 19th at Portland Oregon.

Was directed to the US citizen line and when I got to the immigration officer he took me to secondary examination. When the remainder of the flight had cleared he came back in and completed the formalities. By this time there were five other people waiting. Interestingly he told me to apply for my SSN even though I had completed the form at the US Embassy in London for it to be issued after I had arrived. Also there was only one photo in the MBE not the two there should have been, I then remembered the Embassy had only ever asked for one at my interview. He welcomed me to America and I got to the luggage carousel just as bags came round, one of the first ones off, the whole process took about 30 minutes.

Now just waiting to see if I get my green card or a letter asking me to submit another photograph, the immigration officer wasn't sure which it would be.

What to expect at the POE - WIKI entry

IR-1 Timeline IR-1 details in my timeline

N-400 Timeline

2009-08-21 Applied for US Citizenship

2009-08-28 NOA

2009-09-22 Biometrics appointment

2009-12-01 Interview - Approved

2009-12-02 Oath ceremony - now a US Citizen

Here's an update: I got my greencard in the mail last week, exactly one week after I arrived through LAX. My social security card and my welcome letter (well, three welcome letters actually...) arrived a couple of days after that. Super speedy!

30 June 2006 - received packet 3 from Sydney Consulate to do DCF

July 2006 - discover Sydney are changing their DCF process

8 September 2006 - have fingerprints taken, post police check form to AFP

12 September 2006 - medical

21 September 2006 - receive police check from AFP

23 September 2006 - wedding day!

12 October 2006 - hubby files I-130 in Sydney during Thursday walk-in (and I-864). I file DS-230 parts 1 and 2, and DS-2001.

31 October 2006 - interview date... and I'm approved!

1 November 2006 - pick-up visa from Sydney Consulate

14 November 2006 - arrive in the US!

22 November 2006 - greencard arrives in mail

24 November 2006 - social security card and welcome letter arrive

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
Now just waiting to see if I get my green card or a letter asking me to submit another photograph, the immigration officer wasn't sure which it would be.

Just to up date my own post. The Green Card arrived ok without any need to obtain the second photograph.

The immigration officer was right about applying for the SSN. Checked after 2 weeks and I hadn't gone into the system so applied there and then and got it a week later.

What to expect at the POE - WIKI entry

IR-1 Timeline IR-1 details in my timeline

N-400 Timeline

2009-08-21 Applied for US Citizenship

2009-08-28 NOA

2009-09-22 Biometrics appointment

2009-12-01 Interview - Approved

2009-12-02 Oath ceremony - now a US Citizen

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

I arrived in Seattle on 3rd January with my CR-1 visa. All went smoothly at POE, I was guided by an employee to go with my husband to a specific window for new immigrants. There was just one person ahead of us who was just finishing up when we got there, so the Officer practically moved straight on to our case. He was rather miserable and I didn't get a 'welcome to America' :( but I wont complain as it was very smooth and speedy! He took my fingerprints, checked through all my paperwork, asked me my Father's name and how long we'd been married, then stamped my visa and sent us on our way :)

Permanent Resident Since 01/03/2007

N-400 application mailed 3/20/17

Credit card charged 3/25/17

NOA 3/31/17

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: England
Timeline
I arrived in Seattle on 3rd January with my CR-1 visa. All went smoothly at POE, I was guided by an employee to go with my husband to a specific window for new immigrants. There was just one person ahead of us who was just finishing up when we got there, so the Officer practically moved straight on to our case. He was rather miserable and I didn't get a 'welcome to America' :( but I wont complain as it was very smooth and speedy! He took my fingerprints, checked through all my paperwork, asked me my Father's name and how long we'd been married, then stamped my visa and sent us on our way :)

Hey Candace, I see you guys used Seattle as a POE and got an EAD stamp. You just might to be able to help me out here.

Did you guys do anything special to arrange it that way? Let me paint the picture, my K1 visa will be approved on 8th Feb 2007 and I am looking to enter the US just as soon as I can after that date AND gate a stamp so I can work but from what I have been lead to believe JFK is just about the only POE who will give you that temp EAD stamp so you can work.

Now my baby girl lives near Seattle and from your timeline it appears as though you have recently used Seattle as a port of entry AND you have gotten an EAD stamp. If I knew that flying directly into Seattle from the US and being assured of getting an EAD at the same time was possible, then I would be truly interested in knowning that.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers

Pete

My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

Timeline

Hey Candace, I see you guys used Seattle as a POE and got an EAD stamp. You just might to be able to help me out here.

Did you guys do anything special to arrange it that way? Let me paint the picture, my K1 visa will be approved on 8th Feb 2007 and I am looking to enter the US just as soon as I can after that date AND get a stamp so I can work. But from what I have been lead to believe JFK is just about the only POE who will give you that temp EAD stamp so that you can work.

Now my baby girl lives near Seattle and from your timeline it appears as though you have recently used Seattle as a port of entry AND you have gotten an EAD stamp. Is that the case? If I knew that flying directly into Seattle from the US assured me getting an EAD at the same time, then I would be truly interested in knowing that fact :help:

Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers

Pete

Timeline
Hey Candace, I see you guys used Seattle as a POE and got an EAD stamp.

Pete, Candace, and everyone else in this thread, arrived with Immigrant Visas, not K-1s. There is no EAD stamp to get; these folks are all admitted as Permanent Residents.

I have not heard any positive reports about EAD stamps at SEA.

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

Timeline
Hey Candace, I see you guys used Seattle as a POE and got an EAD stamp.

Pete, Candace, and everyone else in this thread, arrived with Immigrant Visas, not K-1s. There is no EAD stamp to get; these folks are all admitted as Permanent Residents.

I have not heard any positive reports about EAD stamps at SEA.

Ah thanks, that makes more sense. Thanks for the heads up!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Timeline

I just remembered something...

People who enter on an Immigrant Visa MUST file a US income tax return as a resident for the entire year that they entered.. ie, we came over in November and the DAH was a US tax resident for the entirety of that year.

If you enter as a K-3, you will not have the same issue.

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.