Tina W

Can I visit my Boyfriend in USA while my K1 visa is pending?

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Norway
Timeline

Hi,

Will it be a problem for me to visit my boyfriend for a vacation in USA, while i am waiting for the K1 to be processed. I cant go 6 months without seeing him? (thats what the processing times, according to the uscis website..)

Any advice?

Sincerely,

Tina

Filed For K1

Received NOA1 04.13.09

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

you can come as long as you can prove that you will go back home... for example, letter from employer, mortgage, or some kind of of other loans.......

UpdatedTimeline.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Norway
Timeline
you can come as long as you can prove that you will go back home... for example, letter from employer, mortgage, or some kind of of other loans.......

So I have to enter with just Visa Waiver and bring the proof in addition? or do I have to see the embassy first? Or how does all that work?

Filed For K1

Received NOA1 04.13.09

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

you'll need additional proof, like i said before, something to prove that you will go home before your visiter VISA expires...

UpdatedTimeline.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Italy
Timeline

Hi,

This is my experience...hope will help you!

Hi everybody,

I want to tell my experience at port of entry in Newark. First of all let me tell you that I have been in the US several times under VWP: March-June 2007, October-January 2008 and now entered on March 1st for others 88 days.

There were only 5 officers and I think around 1,000 people before me at Newark on Sunday afternoon. After almost 2 hours after landing I am finally in front of the officer. Here is step by step my experience...hopefully can help somebody...

First question:

-Why you have a new passport?

Me: They stole my wallet in my country and I had my passport in it.

-Are you sure?

Me: Yes I have reported it to the Police in my country and they did a new passport for me along with ID, driver license ecc ecc...

-Show me the report you did at the Police!

Me: I am sorry, I don't have it here. I used it to have my new passport.

-Why you didn't bring the report?

Me: I didn't know I had to. I am sorry.

-What are you doing in the US?

Me: I am visiting my boyfriend

-What does he do?

Me: He works for......

-Since how long do you know him?

Me: One year and a half

-Where did you meet him?

Me: In Ny in.....

-How long are you staying in the US?

Me: 88 days

-Why so long?

Me: I am a student and I can study from here and go back in my country in June to have my exams session.

-Repeat where did you meet your boyfriend?

Me: In Ny in.....(I started to get scared!!!!!)

-Repeat since how long do you know him?

Me: One year and a half ( now I was so scared that I told him that we applied for a K1 visa and we received NOA1)

-Show me the NOA1

Me: Here is it.

-Who is supporting you?

Me: My boyfriend and my parents.

-Do you like America?

Me: Yes I do.

-Do you have a return ticket?

Me: Yes here is it

-I cannot find the flight!!!!

Me: Here is it (of course it was not in English!) I am going back on May...

-Who is paying for your stay?

Me: my boyfriend and my parents (again the same question! I was already imagining myself on the next plane to my country!)

-How much money your parents have in the account?

Me: I don't know exactly sir, I think around.....

-Show me the credit card they gave you!

Me: Here is it sir.

Finally he stamped my passport with 90 days staying.......next time I won't risk it again! I will wait for my visa!

The all "interview" was very long....before to ask me the questions he was looking in my eyes for around 1 minute and then ask the question.

It was not a good experience but I still suggest to try it if you can!

Good luck everybody!

AC

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline

You'll find lots of stories about people who have both been denied and approved at entry (these are almost always from people of countries with the visa wavier program).

In the vast majority of cases, the foriegn fiance(e) is let into the country. You do not need to go to the embassy before hand, just come like you would normally come, but be prepared for extra questions by the officer. You do not need to specifically tell them about the K-1 visa, but DO NOT LIE, as they do have access to this information. If they ask a question where you feel like you need to tell them about the K-1, then tell them and don't worry about it, but by no means make them think you are lying because they will catch you out on this!

Bring lots of proof to show you are going back to your home country within 90 days. A return ticket is sometimes NOT ENOUGH. Sometimes it is and they wont even ask you to see it! But you just never know until you get there. If you have an NOA1 or NOA2, then have a copy of it with you. If you own a house or car or are renting a place back at home then bring proof of that. If you have a job (and hopefully you do as this is really good evidence that you are coming back), have your employer write a letter (and translate it, you can do this!) in English saying that you will be visiting the US for so and so many days and that you will be coming back to work on XX/XX/2009 and they can even include in the letter how much money you make per month and that way if the immigration officer wants to know who is supporting you, then you can show that as proof. Also bring print outs of your bank account in case they want to see how much money is in there (I was even asked for this as an American when I entered London last time!). Any type of proof that you can show you are coming back to your country is good.

Again, JUST DON'T LIE.

N-400 Naturalization Process

June 25, 2013 --Qualified for Citizenship!

October 12, 2017 --Electronically filed

October 13, 2017 --NOA1

October 31, 2017 --Biometrics Appointment -ATL

ROC

April 5, 2012 --Sent I-751 to Vermont Service Center

May 21, 2012 --Biometric Appointment at ATL office

December 12, 2012 --10 year Green Card in hand

DCF Process

October 10, 2009 --Married in São Paulo

January 14, 2010 --Filed I-130 at São Paulo Consulate for DCF

May 17, 2010 --VISA IN HAND!

June 24, 2010 --POE in Atlanta

Hi,

This is my experience...hope will help you!

Hi everybody,

I want to tell my experience at port of entry in Newark. First of all let me tell you that I have been in the US several times under VWP: March-June 2007, October-January 2008 and now entered on March 1st for others 88 days.

There were only 5 officers and I think around 1,000 people before me at Newark on Sunday afternoon. After almost 2 hours after landing I am finally in front of the officer. Here is step by step my experience...hopefully can help somebody...

First question:

-Why you have a new passport?

Me: They stole my wallet in my country and I had my passport in it.

-Are you sure?

Me: Yes I have reported it to the Police in my country and they did a new passport for me along with ID, driver license ecc ecc...

-Show me the report you did at the Police!

Me: I am sorry, I don't have it here. I used it to have my new passport.

-Why you didn't bring the report?

Me: I didn't know I had to. I am sorry.

-What are you doing in the US?

Me: I am visiting my boyfriend

-What does he do?

Me: He works for......

-Since how long do you know him?

Me: One year and a half

-Where did you meet him?

Me: In Ny in.....

-How long are you staying in the US?

Me: 88 days

-Why so long?

Me: I am a student and I can study from here and go back in my country in June to have my exams session.

-Repeat where did you meet your boyfriend?

Me: In Ny in.....(I started to get scared!!!!!)

-Repeat since how long do you know him?

Me: One year and a half ( now I was so scared that I told him that we applied for a K1 visa and we received NOA1)

-Show me the NOA1

Me: Here is it.

-Who is supporting you?

Me: My boyfriend and my parents.

-Do you like America?

Me: Yes I do.

-Do you have a return ticket?

Me: Yes here is it

-I cannot find the flight!!!!

Me: Here is it (of course it was not in English!) I am going back on May...

-Who is paying for your stay?

Me: my boyfriend and my parents (again the same question! I was already imagining myself on the next plane to my country!)

-How much money your parents have in the account?

Me: I don't know exactly sir, I think around.....

-Show me the credit card they gave you!

Me: Here is it sir.

Finally he stamped my passport with 90 days staying.......next time I won't risk it again! I will wait for my visa!

The all "interview" was very long....before to ask me the questions he was looking in my eyes for around 1 minute and then ask the question.

It was not a good experience but I still suggest to try it if you can!

Good luck everybody!

This is horrible. I am sorry.

My fiance went through similar interrogation (and was not allowed in).

I am ashamed of the way this country treats people from modern, developed, democratic nations.

------- ROC ---------------

06.29.2011 Mailed I-751

09.22.2011 RFE

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: New Zealand
Timeline

It's important to note that VWP travellers must apply for ESTA before departure now. While this adds some extra security to the process it may, or may not, warn of you of any pending issues that may arise at the border. It's not a guarantee even if you are approved for travel. The final decision is still up to the CBP officer.

If you have many recent or lengthy trips into the US, do not bring enough proof of ties to your own Country, or if the officer simply thinks you are intending to immigrate, you will be 'allowed to remove your petition to enter the US' and you will be sent back home immediately. As long as no laws were broken this normally has no effect on your K-1

That being said, many people do travel in and out of the US during the process. It's probably the most widely discussed topic here. Most do get in fine but many of us have had issues as well.

good luck.

timeline.jpg

Filed: Other Timeline

Just thought I would add...........border guards on any border can be..........well.............less than welcoming.

We've been married 3.5 years now. We had not been back to the UK in all that time. So, no frequent trips to annoy the border guards in the UK or in Ireland. No loads of baggage, etc.

The officer at the Dublin POE asked me why I was entering (hubby of course had waived his EU passport at the guards and was already through). I said for a holiday. The guard asked where I was going and I said "to Londonderry so my husband can visit his family - 10 days".

The Guard (who had been cranky with the family ahead of me) looked the passport through and through, and rather than just initialing (as they typically do) he wrote that my entry was good only through April 4 (giving me 12 days in the country).

Sort of made me mad but since we were leaving April 2, I decided it wasn't worth war.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
Hi,

Will it be a problem for me to visit my boyfriend for a vacation in USA, while i am waiting for the K1 to be processed. I cant go 6 months without seeing him? (thats what the processing times, according to the uscis website..)

Any advice?

Sincerely,

Tina

You might get away with it if your fiance doesn't find out. Good luck.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.