markordj

marry my american fiance while coming in the US as a tourist

22 posts in this topic

I'm a singapore citizen and my fiancee is american. we're both in singapore and want to move to the US. let say i go there as a tourist, get married to her there, have an adjustment of status, and stay in the US. any problems with this?

Great idea! More people should try it! :thumbs:

Actually LOTS of people do so and get away with it. I've never seen anyone busted even tho it's fraud to adjust status and stay in the US.

The ones that are successful don't talk about it. You'd think some of the ones that get busted would show up here on VJ. I've never seen one case in 4 years.

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
I'm a singapore citizen and my fiancee is american. we're both in singapore and want to move to the US. let say i go there as a tourist, get married to her there, have an adjustment of status, and stay in the US. any problems with this?

Roi Aggie,

You know better than to encourage visa fraud. Please remember we are here to help the querants, not to encourage illegal behaviour that puts them at risk.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

You can file for an immigrant visa via DCF. Never filing taxes will likely create difficulty with the support affidavit.

there is no way to change the kind of visa! you need to cancel one and then file another kind!

why did you even file for a FIANCE visa if you knew you would get married in singapore anyways? just because it seems faster?

if the us citizen also lives abroad, why didnt you do direct consular filing? im not sure that filing a k-1 with the petitioner not residing in the us is even possible.....

I agree with what everyone has said and you need to be careful because it seems like you are running a very fine in between being totally honest and intentionally committing visa fraud.

For the record, You CAN file a K-1 with the petitioner not residing in the US. As long as the petitioner has a US address that they can receive mail at and a way to prove they can support the Non USC (either because of a job abroad or through a co-sponsor), then it is no problem.

I lived abroad throughout my entire K-1 process.

From what I am seeing though, it sounds like it is best to get married and do DCF. If you fiancee plans on staying in Singapore between now and June anyway, then that is ALMOST 6 months. Why don't you get married tomorrow at the courthouse (or as soon as you legally can based on how long it would take to get needed documents in order), live in Singapore while you wait for his residency of 6 months and then file DCF?

And just so you know, the residency requirment of 6 months is a bit different in every countries. Some countries require that you are a legal resident for 6 months. Other, like Brazil, only require that you have been IN the country legally for 6 months as long as you are a legal resident when you apply. For example, I entered on a tourist visa in Jan and will apply as a legal resident in July, it doesn't matter that I entered as a tourist. Email your consulate and they can tell you the answer, that's what I did.

I don't think Singapore residency will be an issue to us. My US citizen fiancee has been in Singapore for 10+ years and she's a permanent resident here.

what is more of a concern to us is establishing her residency/domicile in the US for I-864. my fiance was born is dallas, left the US when she was 9 y/o with her family. she has never been back to the US since then and now she's 24. she has never filed any US tax returns. her parents are also in singapore. any ideas?

i don't get it.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

I'm not sure what path you should follow. If you have been living overseas for more than 6 months, go DCF for IR-1/CR-1 path. One thing I know for sure, if you listen to VJ member "himher" you will be getting some very bad advice.

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Bangkok, Thailand

Marriage : 2006-11-08

I-130 Sent : 2008-02-22

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-03-10

I-129F Sent : 2008-04-08

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-04-14

I-129F touched: 2008-05-06

I-130 touched: 2008-05-09

I-129F approved 2008-09-05

I-130 approved 2008-09-05

NVC received 2008-09-12

Pay I-864 2008-10-08

Pay IV bill 2008-10-08

Receive Instruction 2008-11-05

Case Complete 2008-11-18

Medical 2009-01-19/20 passed

Receive Pkt 4 2009-01-30

Interview 221g 2009-02-23

Second interview 2009-03-02 Approved

POE DFW 2009-03-07

Received SS card 2009-03-17

Received GC 2009-04-01

Done for 3 years or 10 years. Haven't decided yet.

(I'm going for the IR-1 and blowing off the K-3. Even if it takes an extra couple months, it's worth it to not have to deal with USCIS again)

"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Note:

Please fill out I-130, wait 6 months for approval, then 3 more months for an interview. (Unless of course we've bombed your country into the stone age, then you qualify for expedited processing.)

Welcome to the USA!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline
I don't think Singapore residency will be an issue to us. My US citizen fiancee has been in Singapore for 10+ years and she's a permanent resident here.

what is more of a concern to us is establishing her residency/domicile in the US for I-864. my fiance was born is dallas, left the US when she was 9 y/o with her family. she has never been back to the US since then and now she's 24. she has never filed any US tax returns. her parents are also in singapore. any ideas?

Marry first, then file the I-130 DCF, and shortly after marriage US citizen needs to move to USA in advance of the visa interview and re-establish US domicile (Rent apartment, look for a job, apply for a driver's license, etc..), file IRS return for 2008, and perhaps late one for 2007, will not need to pay any tax on foreign income. Need to be able to demonstrate re-establishing US Domicile, and being able to support prospective immigrant. Probably will need a Joint sponsor living in the USA too.

MORE: http://travel.state.gov/pdf/I-864GenInfo-FAQ-Final.pdf

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Roi Aggie,

You know better than to encourage visa fraud. Please remember we are here to help the querants, not to encourage illegal behaviour that puts them at risk.

Well you're no fun Kathryn! :P

I'm being sarcastic for the most part, because it is not a question that can easily be answered.

As Haole mentioned, many people have done it, and not had any problems.

It is an option, just not one that most people here would support, due to "legal" issues.

K-1 Timeline

11-29-05: Mailed I-129F Petition to CSC

12-06-05: NOA1

03-02-06: NOA2

03-23-06: Interview Date May 16

05-17-06: K-1 Visa Issued

05-20-06: Arrived at POE, Honolulu

07-17-06: Married

AOS Timeline

08-14-06: Mailed I-485 to Chicago

08-24-06: NOA for I-485

09-08-06: Biometrics Appointment

09-25-06: I-485 transferred to CSC

09-28-06: I-485 received at CSC

10-18-06: AOS Approved

10-21-06: Approval notice mailed

10-23-06: Received "Welcome Letter"

10-27-06: Received 2 yr Green Card

I-751 Timeline

07-21-08: Mailed I-751 to VSC

07-25-08: NOA for I-751

08-27-08: Biometrics Appointment

02-25-09: I-751 transferred to CSC

04-17-09: I-751 Approved

06-22-09: Received 10 yr Green Card

N-400 Timeline

07-20-09: Mailed N-400 to Lewisville, TX

07-23-09: NOA for N-400

08-14-09: Biometrics Appointment

09-08-09: Interview Date Oct 07

10-30-09: Oath Ceremony

11-20-09: Received Passport!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.