웃

Did you file your original AOS petition with form I-693 (Medical)?

18 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Isle of Man
Timeline

I read around on the forums and spotted quite a few AOS'ers that said they purposely didn't send the form I-693, and that if they get an RFE, they will worry about it then.

My situation:

I have all the paper work for the I-693. I paid the rip-off Civil Surgeon $170, paid for the rip-off HPV shots ($360), got the MMR and Tetnis and HIV testing. But since I have had problems with TB my chest x-ray shows a scar on my lung. I was treated 6 months in 2008 and am cured.

But the head nurse wants to give me another sputum test (takes 6 weeks for the results) even though she knows I was treated through the US embassy in Juarez, Mexico. She knows that my past 4 sputum tests have been negative and she knows that I am cured. Unfortunately, the clinic in Juarez didn't give me any paperwork so I have no official document that proves all of this.

My plan today was to get the TB clearance (because my x-ray results were ready today) and send in my AOS paperwork with the I-693 filled out. But when I went for the results I was told about this extra sputum test which sets me back 6 weeks.

So I thought about it and decided to send in all the paperwork today (minus the I-693) and if I get an RFE a month and a half from now it will be perfect timing because by then I will have the sputum test results.

Is it necessary to file form I-693 with the AOS paperwork?

India, gun buyback and steamroll.

qVVjt.jpg?3qVHRo.jpg?1

Timeline
If I were you, I would send the paperwork without I-693. They might not open your envelope for a while and you might be able to send your medical just in time.

But I may be wrong.

That is what we did. We sent all paperwork in today. I just find it absolutely shocking that the I-693 is not needed. The I-693 proves that a person does not have AIDS and Tuberculosis. Plus that he/she has all of the vaccinations. One would think this would be a very important form. Why and how can people slide by without form I-693? Is it that it is needed for the AOS interview but not with the original petition?

Edited by Confucian

qVVjt.jpg?3qVHRo.jpg?1

Shows how screwed up the priorities in the immigration system are.

You'd think they would be strict on checking on the vaccination requirements and they are definitely slack.

LOTS get by without follow ups on series vacinnations plus LOTs get by without submitting the I-693.

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

i am no expert, but i surely remember reading past posts on this website.....someone mentioned that these days, USCIS rejects ur application if u do not send I-693...most of the time they dont..and send RFE...but some did receive rejection just because of that....if i were u, i wouldn't risk it...why give them a chance at all....unless ofcourse its urgent...like ur current visa is expiring or something...

infact i m in ur position a little...i am on H1 applying for AOS through marriage....all my documents are absolutely ready to be mailed except i-693 just coz i was PPD positive...X-ray negative....but, I'd rather wait, get everything over with..necessary paperwork....and mail a complete package....

Edited by cartman1417

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=rlL...crIGdA9jvtP6IMQ

I-130 Petition for Alien Relative

04-17-09 - Package Mailed by USPS Priority with Delivery Confirmation

04-20-09 - Package Delivered

04-24-09 - NOA1 Issued

04-27-09 - Check was Cashed & NOA1 Received in Mail

09-14-09 - Approval Notice Received in Mail

I-485 AOS

05-13-09 - Package Mailed by USPS Priority with Delivery Confirmation

05-14-09 - Package Delivered

05-20-09 - Check Cashed

05-19-09 - NOA Issued

05-22-09 - NOA Received in Mail

05-27-09 - Received Biometrics Appointment Letter in Mail. Appointment Scheduled for 06-09-09

05-29-09 - Biometrics Done

08-15-09 - Received Interview Letter

09-09-09 - Interview Date

09-09-09 - Card Production Ordered

09-14-09 - Welcome Letter Received

I-765 EAD

05-19-09 - NOA Issued

05-27-09 - Received Biometrics Appointment Letter in Mail. Appointment Scheduled for 06-09-09

05-29-09 - Biometrics Done

06-26-09 - EAD Card Production Ordered

07-01-09 - EAD Card Mailed

07-02-09 - EAD Card Received in Mail

I-131 Advance Parole

05-19-09 - NOA Issued

07-01-09 - Approval Notice Received

Timeline
Shows how screwed up the priorities in the immigration system are.

You'd think they would be strict on checking on the vaccination requirements and they are definitely slack.

LOTS get by without follow ups on series vacinnations plus LOTs get by without submitting the I-693.

So a lot of people get by without ever submitting the I-693? I mean in the year 2010 (I know it is 2009 but 2010 sounds more futuristic) immigrants can become American citizens without EVER having to submit the I-693 (proof immigrant does not have Tuberculosis and AIDS)? If so, I find that hard to believe. Please tell me the I-693 is checked at some point during the road to US citizenship so that I don't feel stupid for spending over $500 on it ($170 for Civil Surgeon and $360 for HPV).

Edited by Confucian

qVVjt.jpg?3qVHRo.jpg?1

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Poland
Timeline

I spent 500$ for vaccination sheet ONLY... (Not mention the medical I had in Poland and an x-ray (again), blood tests for I-693 - around 100$).

100$ for visit, the rest was for MMR, TB test and x-ray, Varicella and Gardasil.

But they good thing is that we sent the bill to the insurance company and they reimbursed us for 400$. Well, only the visit in not covered, cause it's for USCIS, but any other type of preventing stuff is covered.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Romania
Timeline

Well, believe it or not, a lot of people come in to the usa illegally and they get by without doing any health clearance, whatsoever. Now, for those of us trying to do it the legal way---yea, we get abused....

Anyway, we were running out of time and we didn't send in our 693 when we sent our AOS packet; our reasoning was...lets send this now before is too late and we'll deal with RFE later. So far no RFE yet, but we did get the AP and EAD. And im sure that even if we don't get an RFE, we'll get the 693 question at the interview, so we have that now, and we are holding on to it when is due. And yes, if you read thru the forums, many people sent in their 3025 and no 693 and they got approved. Is all at the dicretion of the USCIS!

AOS

2009-01-12===> Sent AOS packet via UPS
2009-01-13===> AOS packet received
2009-01-28===> NOA's received in the mail
2009-02-01===> Biometric appt received in the mail
2009-02-06===> Completed biometric appt thru walk-in
2009-02-06===> Applied for expedited AP thru the phone
2009-02-14===> Received AP in the mail
2009-02-11===> Case transferred to CSC
2009-02-23===> EAD received
2009-05-02===> Green card received in the mail, no interview done.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline
So a lot of people get by without ever submitting the I-693? I mean in the year 2010 (I know it is 2009 but 2010 sounds more futuristic) immigrants can become American citizens without EVER having to submit the I-693 (proof immigrant does not have Tuberculosis and AIDS)? If so, I find that hard to believe. Please tell me the I-693 is checked at some point during the road to US citizenship so that I don't feel stupid for spending over $500 on it ($170 for Civil Surgeon and $360 for HPV).

From my understanding of K1 applicants:

If you have a medical in your home country, you are tested for HIV and that information is sent to the embassy before your Visa is issued. It's taken into consideration at that stage. The I693 for K1 applicants, is ONLY to transfer vaccination information as already validated by the doctor in your home country. (My understanding is that now the TB test is also done in the home country. This came into effect after I got my visa so I'm open to correction on that).

From my (very) spotty observations, the people who get through without the I693, are K1 applicants, often from VWP countries, where the perceived risk of contagious disease is lower, and who have already passed a medical. (Again that's my own probably faulty observations).

<side note>

I don't think it's that scandalous that people living with HIV and TB can become American citizens.

<end side note>

K-1 Application

================

2nd October 2007 - I-129F sent to CSC

10th October 2007 - NOA1 issued

31st January 2008 - NOA2 issued

22nd May 2008 - Interview date

18th July 2008 - US here I come

22nd August 2008 - Wedding date

AOS

================

15th September 2008 - AOS Pack (I485, I131, I765) Sent

22nd September 2008 - NOA1 x 3 Received

6th October 2008 - Transferred to CSC

17th October 2008 - Biometrics

5th December 2008 - EAD & AP approved

20th February 2008 - GC approved

I-751

================

1st December 2010 - I-751 Sent (CSC)

3rd December 2010 - I-751 Received

7th December 2010 - Cheque cashed

3rd January 2011 - Biometrics

As for the I693, I didn't send it in either and I did not receive an RFE.. The invitation letter, however, did state that if you did not submit it, you will need to hand it over at the interview itself. (It says: "You must bring the following items with you:" "- A completed medical examination (Form I-693) and vaccination supplement in a sealed envelope (unless already submitted)."

I never got my medical through the I693 form but through the old forms (even though I was already in the new timeframe). So according to the rules, I didn't need a new medical and what I did instead was, I went out for a free TB skin test (they're paid for by the US government) and went to a civil surgeon afterward who transcribed the vaccination history and the TB skin test results on the I693 and placed that information in a sealed envelop, which is the one that I will be handing in tomorrow.

So, to answer your question, you do NOT need to file the I-693 with your AOS application, you will NOT receive a RFE.. but, instead, you will have to show them the forms (in a sealed envelope) on the interview itself. So you can safely send out your application now without worrying about it, just make sure you have the I-693 ready by the time you get your interview :)

N400 Timeline:

12/14/11 - Sending out N400 package

12/19/11 - Received by USCIS

12/21/11 - NOA date

12/22/11 - Check cashed

12/27/11 - Received NOA

02/06/12 - Received yellow letter (pre-interview case file review)

03/13/12 - Placed in line for interview scheduling (3 yr anniversary)

03/17/12 - Received interview letter

04/17/12 - Interview - No decision, application under further review

04/17/12 - Biometrics

04/25/12 - Placed in line for oath scheduling (so I'm approved yay!)

04/27/12 - Received oath ceremony date

05/09/12 - Oath ceremony!!

From my understanding of K1 applicants:

If you have a medical in your home country, you are tested for HIV and that information is sent to the embassy before your Visa is issued. It's taken into consideration at that stage. The I693 for K1 applicants, is ONLY to transfer vaccination information as already validated by the doctor in your home country. (My understanding is that now the TB test is also done in the home country. This came into effect after I got my visa so I'm open to correction on that).

From my (very) spotty observations, the people who get through without the I693, are K1 applicants, often from VWP countries, where the perceived risk of contagious disease is lower, and who have already passed a medical. (Again that's my own probably faulty observations).

<side note>

I don't think it's that scandalous that people living with HIV and TB can become American citizens.

<end side note>

You're right. Those who have a medical done in their home country are tested on HIV and everything else (they will not give a K visa to enter the US without them). They also do TB chest X-rays but they didn't do any skintests (at least not in my old country). Those who entered the US and who wanted to stay here also have to undergo the same tests but they do them here instead. Without a medical, they will not be able to adjust status.

As for admitting people in the US with HIV and TB.. TB is something they can actually cure, so I don't see the problem in that, as long as they cure it. And as for HIV, I don't see the problem in that either if people can come into the US but, as for now, they can not do that yet legally (there are plans to change the rules on that tho).

N400 Timeline:

12/14/11 - Sending out N400 package

12/19/11 - Received by USCIS

12/21/11 - NOA date

12/22/11 - Check cashed

12/27/11 - Received NOA

02/06/12 - Received yellow letter (pre-interview case file review)

03/13/12 - Placed in line for interview scheduling (3 yr anniversary)

03/17/12 - Received interview letter

04/17/12 - Interview - No decision, application under further review

04/17/12 - Biometrics

04/25/12 - Placed in line for oath scheduling (so I'm approved yay!)

04/27/12 - Received oath ceremony date

05/09/12 - Oath ceremony!!

just for info: when I came into the country, POE immigration officer had me contact the local health dept for my state due to my history of tb (treated). I HAD to do another sputum test even though I did it back home at the medical I had to go through to get the visa, so it is not unlikely for you to re-do the sputum test again once in the US.

also as someone stated above, some do get by without sending in their 693 others get an RFE

Edited by wizardfitz

June 2006 Met on Myspace
Sep 21 2007 Proposed and she accepted
Dec 9 2007 Arrived in Manila
Dec 15 2007 Returned home, very sad day
Dec 21 2007 Sent Form I-129F to CSC
Dec 24 2007 Packet received at CSC
Dec 31 2007 NOA 1 received
Jan 02 2008 Check cashed
May 05 2008 NOA2
May 12 2008 Received letter from NVC MNL2008xxxxxx
May 19 2008 Paid Delbros fee at Metrobank
May 20 2008 First day of medical
May 21 2008 Told to return for sputum test
May 21 2008 Delbros confirmed receiving payment
May 27 2008 Delbros sent proof of payment to USEM
May 27,28,29 2008 Sputum test done
June 6 2008 Delbros sent doc ver request to the NSO
June 27 2008 NSO doc ver completed, to be picked up by USEM
July 1, 2008 Called USEM, doc ver is at the embassy
July 30, 2008 Passed the sputum test and finished the physical
Aug 5, 2008 Interview, PASSED received PINK SLIP
Aug 12 2008 VISA IN HAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you God
Aug 16,2008 Flight to US. Manila to Narita, to Chicago
Sept 8, 2008 Civil wedding
Feb 14, 2009 Big fancy wedding
groupresized.jpg

Timeline

I did not send in the I-693 either as I needed to get the paperwork sent in quickly so my wife can get her EAD. If one has had the physical in the last year it is not supposed to be needed but the A form with the transcribed shot records can be asked for. I did much searches and sometimes they ask for the A form and sometimes they do not if the shot records are sent along with the application.

Just FYI I sent in my AOS package without an I-693 because we wanted to send it before my I-94W expired and I couldn't get a medical appointment in time. I received an RFE for it (initial evidence rather than additional evidence). It also states on my interview letter to bring the I-693 "unless already submitted".

Met, married, immigrated

Remove conditions 20110116

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.