dluke77

WANT TO MARRY GIRL ALREADY MARRIED ON K-3 VISA

49 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

I met a girl through a family I know--and we fell in love and quick (right or wrong it happened). She married in Philippines not quite 2 years ago and came here 2 months ago. Since she was married she felt she made a mistake the guy wasn't what she thought he was. After he finally petitioned her on what I believe is the K-3 Visa and she came 2 months ago she has been miserable. He is controlling, lazy drunk, who does have a decent job--but still lives at home with his mother (where she now lives too). She is hoping I can wait until her 2 years here is up and she get her 'condition' of marriage removed.

I imagine instead of waiting for this girl for two years or more while that process takes place there must be an easier way.

Can she leave him now (separation of six months is required before the state will grant divorce here) and live with her sister and eventually me? How long would she be allowed to stay in country?

Is it possible that once her divorce is final that I could marry her quickly after that and petition somehow for her to stay here without her having to go back to the Philippines?

Note: The guy isn't abusive--yet, and it really isn't an 'extreme' hardship if she went back. I actually also wonder if she left him now, was able to stay until the divorce was final and voluntarily went back to the Philippines--How long would she have to stay there before she could come back if I petetion her?

Thanks for any advice or personal experience with this type of issue anyone can share.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

A "K" visa holder is prohibited from adjusting status to permanent residency via a marriage to anyone else other than the person who originally petitioned for them.

In this situation she will eventually need to return home and get issued a visa based on a petition from you.

YMMV

Filed: Timeline

As a K-3 holder, she can only adjust status based on the marriage that originated the petition. If she does not do that and remains in the US after her K visa expires, she is out of status and subject to deportation.

Like pax said - at some point she will have to go back home and re-initiate the process. I don't know of any "easier way".

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

i think she did marry the this man, and if she's unhappy she needs to talk to her husband and let him know this and they need to try and work the matrimony out, get counseling, try something. they both sound too immature. A marriage isn't something that you toss away like rubbish. If he is abusive than I think that is different situation and i agree that divorce should be an option to her for the reason of him being abusive, not because she is in adultery which is a sin.

Second Im sorry, but I gotta say i think you are being in the way, and you should not have contact with her. If you respect her i cant say love because you should not be in love with another man's wife. so if you are respect her you should let them work through this without you, if it ends in divorse, which is sad then you would have the right to pursue her for matrimony, but she would need to go back to phillipine most likely first, and then like is said here you would need to petition her.

peace

Filed K1 Petition September 2005

Interview at Embassy in Abu Dhabi December 2005 Denied

Interview at Embassy in Abu Dhabi January 2006 Approved

Nikah April 21, 2006

Biometrics June 2006

Received Green Card August 2006

Waiting for 10 year card since June 2008

Received 10 year card April 2009

U.S. Citizen November 2009

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
A "K" visa holder is prohibited from adjusting status to permanent residency via a marriage to anyone else other than the person who originally petitioned for them.

In this situation she will eventually need to return home and get issued a visa based on a petition from you.

The "eventually" is within thirty days of her divorce being final, unless she already has a green card. If she has a green card, even a conditional one, that's a different story. She then has the ability to self petition to remove conditions, once the divorce is final. If you subsequently marry, you are simply marrying a Legal Permanent Resident and have no immigration issues to deal with until/unless she decides to apply for citizenship.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Pushbrk: Can you tell me what you mean when you say "green card" exactly? I know she was married in the Philippines less than two years ago and came here 2 months ago... she came on a K-3 Visa--Is this the same thing as a 'green card' since the 'condition' of the Visa is marriage?

I have read some on the conditions which she could remove the 'conditions' but I can't honestly say that she meets any of those conditions. It isn't an extreme hardship for her to go back, and as far as I know she isn't being physically abused. Possibly mentally--but that would be hard to prove... don't think crying all night because your husband stays our half the night drinking, leaves you with his mom, and then comes home drunk and passes out qualifies as mental abuse--am I wrong? Think someone would just tell her to tell him to get help--which she has done already.

So if she divorces (which takes 6+ months to do here in my state) then she would have 30 days to go back to the Philippines. If she did this and I did petetion her how long do you think the process would take to get her back her and what would be the quickest process if there is more than one?

I am figuring that her case would be scrutinized alot more since it would be her second time through the system. Assuming it would be beneficial if she went back on her own within that 30 days then correct?

I ask that question because it seems so much advice on here is about people overstaying there visas for years or even coming illegally and being told to marry right away and file for waivers/petetions and that they'll be able to stay... just don't get why she shouldn't just stay then?

Thanks for the replys.

Back out of there! You may get your butte shot. You are giving the pinay an option and intruding where you shouldn't be!

Filipino saying! "Mess around with my wife and I'll stab you with my knife"!!

Edited by Haole

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

The "eventually" is within thirty days of her divorce being final, unless she already has a green card. If she has a green card, even a conditional one, that's a different story. She then has the ability to self petition to remove conditions, once the divorce is final. If you subsequently marry, you are simply marrying a Legal Permanent Resident and have no immigration issues to deal with until/unless she decides to apply for citizenship.

If K-3 and since she has only been here two months... no greencard

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
i think she did marry the this man, and if she's unhappy she needs to talk to her husband and let him know this and they need to try and work the matrimony out, get counseling, try something. they both sound too immature. A marriage isn't something that you toss away like rubbish. If he is abusive than I think that is different situation and i agree that divorce should be an option to her for the reason of him being abusive, not because she is in adultery which is a sin.

Second Im sorry, but I gotta say i think you are being in the way, and you should not have contact with her. If you respect her i cant say love because you should not be in love with another man's wife. so if you are respect her you should let them work through this without you, if it ends in divorse, which is sad then you would have the right to pursue her for matrimony, but she would need to go back to phillipine most likely first, and then like is said here you would need to petition her.

peace

pushbrk knows pretty fully the answer to ur question i would listen to what he says about it anyways good luck to u

sara

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
Pushbrk: Can you tell me what you mean when you say "green card" exactly? I know she was married in the Philippines less than two years ago and came here 2 months ago... she came on a K-3 Visa--Is this the same thing as a 'green card' since the 'condition' of the Visa is marriage?

I have read some on the conditions which she could remove the 'conditions' but I can't honestly say that she meets any of those conditions. It isn't an extreme hardship for her to go back, and as far as I know she isn't being physically abused. Possibly mentally--but that would be hard to prove... don't think crying all night because your husband stays our half the night drinking, leaves you with his mom, and then comes home drunk and passes out qualifies as mental abuse--am I wrong? Think someone would just tell her to tell him to get help--which she has done already.

So if she divorces (which takes 6+ months to do here in my state) then she would have 30 days to go back to the Philippines. If she did this and I did petetion her how long do you think the process would take to get her back her and what would be the quickest process if there is more than one?

I am figuring that her case would be scrutinized alot more since it would be her second time through the system. Assuming it would be beneficial if she went back on her own within that 30 days then correct?

I ask that question because it seems so much advice on here is about people overstaying there visas for years or even coming illegally and being told to marry right away and file for waivers/petetions and that they'll be able to stay... just don't get why she shouldn't just stay then?

Thanks for the replys.

She either has a green card or she doesn't but if she actually arrived on a K3 visa only two months ago, she doesn't have a green card. I only mentioned the other option because you didn't seem sure about the K3 aspect. If she arrived instead on a CR1 visa, she has permanent resident status, whether the green card came in the mail yet or not.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

I know you feel that you are in love, but this is a bad situation. If she is cheating with you on her husband, regardless of his flaws, she is wrong and you are wrong. You have no right whatsoever to be involved with a married woman, I don't care how you "feel" or how big a bum her husband may be. Good grief, even before I became a Christian, I had enough sense not to mess with married women. Back off, let them solve their problems and then, if she gets divorced, you can see where your relationship goes. If you continue in this relationship, I predict you will buy yourself some major trouble. I don't say this to be mean or judgmental. The reality is, a lot of guys have been shot for less!

RickD

RickD

http://www.freebizfromhome.com

If you really want things to change, you actually have to DO something!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Thanks for the replys.

She either has a green card or she doesn't but if she actually arrived on a K3 visa only two months ago, she doesn't have a green card. I only mentioned the other option because you didn't seem sure about the K3 aspect. If she arrived instead on a CR1 visa, she has permanent resident status, whether the green card came in the mail yet or not.

Correct, this is one of the down-sides of a K-3 visa, ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS, if they entered on a CR-1 visa the initial visa applied for before filing I-129F for the K-3, then this would NOT be an issue, the IMMIGRANT would have green-card the moment they enter the USA.

Moving this to "Effects of Major Family Changes on Immigration Benefits"

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Be careful of what you are doing. You are messing with someone's wife. You could just be another scape goat for her. If it's your turn and she is not satisified with you, she would also leave you and find another man. Same thing she is doing right now with her present husband.

K1 Process:

May 1, 2008 Submitted I-129F to CSC

May 8, 2008 Received by CSC

May 9, 2008 NOA1

May 18, 2008 Touched

October 9, 2008 RFE

October 28, 2008 RFE Reply

October 29, 2008 Touched

October 30, 2008 Touched

November 1, 2008 NOA2 (HardCopy)

November 11, 2008 Letter from NVC (Hardcopy)

November 14 & 17, 2008 Medical (Passed)

November 26, 2008 Interview (Passed)

December 5, 2008 Visa Received

December 23, 2008 US Entry (POE: Hawaii)

February 7, 2009 Private Wedding

AOS Process:

March 9, 2009 Mailed AOS Application via Express Mail (I-485, I-765, I-131)

March 10, 2009 USPS confirmed that AOS application was delivered and received in Chicago

March 18, 2009 Received NOA for AOS, EAD and AP

April 8, 2009 Biometrics Done

April 27, 2009 AP Approved

May 1, 2009 AP received in the mail

May 2, 2009 EAD card received in the mail

May 29, 2009 AOS interview (Approved)

June 29, 2009 GC received

ROC Process

March 1, 2011 Mailed I-175 Application via Express Mail

March 4 ,2011 NOA for I-175

April 05,2011 Biometrics [Early Biometrics March 22, 2011]

April 21,2011 Approval

April 27,2011 10 Year Green Card Received

Naturalization Process

March 6, 2012 Mailed N-400 Application via Express Mail

[/size]

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Zambia
Timeline

Without putting her at risk forever, there is no way you can obtain a green card (legal permanent resident) for her -- unless she returns to the Phils after getting the divorce underway. Then, you are free to marry one another and you can apply for a spousal visa. Seems like that will all take about 18 months, more or less. Do the two of you have that kind of patience?

The longer she suffers in that home environment, the more emotional damage she will face. His mom obviously has put up with her son's drinking habits for quite a long time, and in fact has probably been an enabler. It's a lost cause for your girlfriend until she gets back to the Phls and the divorce decree is issued.

Meanwhile, you are at risk yourself, so get wise and stay away from her until she's back in the Phils. She can't expect to have it both ways until she herself takes action.

Edited by Old Dominion

Filed: Timeline

In 30 days she would fall out of status if she divorces the initial petitioner before she has successfully adjusted status. However, even if he were to marry her, she'd need to return to her homeland and apply for a visa. In that case, she could remain 209 days from the date her divorce is final before she would incur a bar to re-admission. Of course 179 of those days she'd be out of status, and technically removable.

"diaddie mermaid"

You can 'catch' me on here and on FBI.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.