Coverts?

78 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

I'm on a quran kick today:

Female quran recitations here and

little girl

little boy

- tajweed is the proper recitation of the quran, speed, pitch, etc.

blind man recites

Also, I went on a printing spree a few months back and created a notebook that my husband and I are reading through. The current piece we're reading is about God and Love. It's simply beautiful.

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Timeline

Zaytuna Videocast #1

A short videocast by one of my favorite scholars, sheikh Hamza Yusuf. He talks about ethics in the muslim community, the ethics of the Prophet (saws) and the importance of making sure we as a community actually follow the example of the Prophet (saws).

Which reminds me - I know I use saws without even thinking, but how many people actually know what I'm writing? Sorry :blush:

When I was new to the muslim lingo, I found these two glossaries helpful:

On the Tip of the Muslim Tongue

Glossary of Islamic terms and concepts

S.A.A.S. / S.A.W.S.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

These letters are abbreviations for the words "Salla Allahu 'Alaihi Wa Sallam", which means : may the blessing and the peace of Allah be upon him.

When the name of Prophet Muhammad is mentioned, a Muslim is to respect him and invoke this statement of peace upon him.

S.W.T.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

These letters are abbreviations for the words of "Subhanahu Wa Ta'ala". When the name of Almighty Allah is pronounced, a Muslim is to show his respect to Him. The meaning of this statement is that Allah is purified of having partners or a son.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

I stumbled upon this article today.

American Imam Leading Diverse Community

July 18, 2006

American imam leading diverse Muslim community

By JIM HAUG

Staff Writer

DAYTONA BEACH -- For much of its 30-year history, the Muslim community here has relied on foreign-born religious leaders.

Ron Smith, the new imam of the Islamic Center of Daytona Beach, at the mosque Wednesday.

This summer, Muslims have begun listening to the sermons of a 29-year-old who likes to play video games and root for the Washington Redskins.

With an American birthplace, Ron Smith is not subjected to the same worries of Muslim immigrants in this anxious age after 9-11. "If they deport me, they'll have to send me back to New Jersey," joked Smith about his home state.

Criteria for imams -- Islamic religious leaders -- are not formalized, but the Islamic Center of Daytona Beach has usually chosen imams on the basis of their religious knowledge and ability to speak Arabic and English.

The main Friday sermon is given in both languages.

Trying to hire an imam suitable to both Arabic- and English-speaking audiences has always been a tricky balance, said Idris Muhammad, a trustee of the local mosque.

The English of foreign-born imams has not always been as good as their Arabic or else they have spoken in unfamiliar Arabic dialects, Muhammad said.

As a consequence, "part of the community has felt left out at times," he said. "It's like a Northerner going to a Southern barbecue."

The local Muslim community is extremely diverse with members coming from the Middle East, the Balkan states and the South Pacific. The mosque on Keech Street attracts about 300 people on Fridays, Muslims' main day of worship.

But on major holidays, the mosque will get as many as 600 to 800 people. "The food is always exotic," Muhammad said.

Born to a Puerto Rican mother, a Catholic, and a Baptist African-American father, Smith is well suited as a community bridge builder.

As a lighter skin black, "I could easily pass for a Moroccan," Smith said.

Smith is also good with languages, speaking both Spanish and Arabic, along with English. When he meets an Arab, he said, "I prefer to speak Arabic."

He fit so well in Saudi Arabia that he said he never felt any of the usual hostility directed toward Americans. After six years of study, Smith graduated this year from the Islamic University of Medina in Saudi Arabia with degrees in Arabic and Islamic scholarship.

"That's definitely prestigious," said Phillip Lucas, a professor of religious studies at Stetson University. "It's fairly unusual to have someone from the U.S. with a degree from Saudi Arabia."

But Smith said, "It's all who you know."

After getting out of the Army, he was working as a "quality assurance manager" for a call center in Daytona Beach in 1999.

He met some Muslims at the Islamic Center with contacts in Saudi Arabia. Winning a full scholarship to university there was not part of a master plan by the mosque to get a new imam, Smith said.

Instead, he said it was part of his dedication to a religion that turned his life around.

Smith became a Muslim at age 14 after a teenage cousin was stabbed to death. "I thought if I don't get my act together soon, I could end up the same way," Smith said. Religion wasn't a regular part of his life before.

Muslim street vendors in Atlantic City and a world religion class in high school first exposed him to Islam. One day, he decided to walk into a mosque to find about Islam for himself.

"I actually began to see changes in my life," Smith said. "I became serious about school, became more respectful to my grandmother."

Smith has four children, ages 2-8, with his wife, Conseulo. The family endured six tough years in Saudi Arabia. The cultural differences "smacked you in the face," he said.

His wife was not allowed to drive and had to cover herself completely in public. Smith had to haul drinking water to their third floor apartment.

He does not think his new job will be easy. Imams are on call 24-hours a day, expected to respond to family emergencies and settle domestic disputes.

But Smith is glad to be back in America. The family is saving up for a Disney World vacation.

jim.haug@news-jrnl.com

Did You Know?

An imam is a learned and pious Muslim who generally acts as a leader of the local Muslim community.

· Imams give advice about Islamic law and customs, as well as leading the community prayers.

· An imam is not a priest. There are no rites which only he can perform, but imams usually conduct marriages and funerals.

· Sometimes an imam will also perform the functions of a muezzin (the one who calls people to prayer) as well as the khatib, who preaches the Friday sermon.

-- Compiled by News Researcher Karen Duffy

SOURCES: Religions of the World, The Everything World's Religion Book, www.bbc.co.uk

Local Muslim Culture

Men and women have separate entrances to the Islamic Center of Daytona Beach. A glass partition separates the sexes during prayer services.

· Because Muslims consider fornication to be a major sin, separating the sexes is considered to be like preventive medicine, Imam Ron Smith said.

· Because this is Daytona Beach, how do modestly dressed Muslim women learn how to swim? Usually in the backyard pools of private homes, Smith said. Organizing swimming classes for Muslim children could be a future role for the imam, he said.

Timeline
With an American birthplace, Ron Smith is not subjected to the same worries of Muslim immigrants in this anxious age after 9-11. "If they deport me, they'll have to send me back to New Jersey," joked Smith about his home state.

I often use a dirivative of this joke when people tell me to go home. "Naaa, I'd rather not. Central Wisconsin doesn't have enough middle eastern restaurants for me." Or "Why, I just drove home to ____ Wisconsin, this weekend to visit my folks. It sure was nice, but I think I'll stay in Minnesota for now, thanks."

cleveland.gif

My husband hasn't encountered that phrasology yet, but I hope that when he does, he can proudly tell them that he IS home.

irhal.jpg

hehehe go home to new jersey...hahaha i like that

Visited Jordan-December 2004

Interview-December 2005

Visa approved-December 2005, 1 week later after supplying "more information"

Arrived U.S.A.-December 2005

Removed Conditions-September 2008

Divorced in December 2013

lovingmemory.jpgInlovingmemory-2.gifmybabygirl-1-1.jpghenna_rose.jpg37320lovesaved-1.jpg

Timeline

Yusuf Islam's new compliation CD, Footsteps into light

Listen to clips and see full length videos of some of the songs. Peace train gets to me each time *shivers*

irhal.jpg

• 1 year later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

salam to u christina

im egyptian born muslim but im ready to answer any questions u might have insha Allah... im not a scholar but u can talk to me about anything u want. as lots of sisters here said. u have to make sure YOU want it not ur fiance. this religion has to do with the HEART from A to Z. actions are not accepted without the intention from the heart. so just doing it for someone or something will never make u get where u want... paradise.

well sister heres an excellent site i tried myself masha Allah...

www.sultan.org

love, raghda ouassini

lyrics.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

previous post to yours: Posted Jul 24 2006, 10:40 AM

over a year old! :blink:

FORUMNECROMANCY.jpg

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Hi...first of all I will say Im sorry I didnt read the whole thread...so if something I say has already been said just ignore me lol. I wrote about this exact thing on my myspace blog yesterday because I was getting some flack from people at work who saw my Quran sitting on my desk. I took my shahadah a little over a year ago after studying and praying for 4 years. I do not cover...I have alot of muslim friends here who do, but as of yet I do not feel led.Mohammed doesnt mind one way or another. One thing I will say to you is to study...and to listen to your heart..and do not mistake culture for islam. Simply put islam is submission...submission to God. It is something personal to each person...while my friends feel led to cover why do I not? Because this is my relationship with God while there are certain things that as a muslim you would of course do...prayer..fasting charity etc....how you get there is entirely personal. My link to myspace is on this page...I dont like to lay out too much Cara in this forum...people tend to chop little pieces off!!!

capture1-1.jpg

Picture114-1.jpg

Our Timeline

Sent I-129 f to csc on Dec 23,2006

Received Dec 26th

NOA1 Jan 3,2007

Check cashed Jan 5,2007

Touched Jan 13,2007

Touched May 15,2007

Touched July 17,2007

Touched July 18,2007

Touched July 20,2007

Touched July 22,2007

Touched Aug 12,2007

Touched Aug 13,2007

Touched Aug 14,2007

Touched Aug 15,2007

Touched Aug 22,2007

NOA2!!! Oct 31,2007

Case forwarded to Casa Nov 19, 2007

Interview Feb 6.2008

APPROVAL!!!

AP......now we wait

11-08-08 arrived in Atlanta

11-20-08 MARRIED!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

This conversation was interesting to read. I missed it the first time around.

First, I'm not a convert to Islam in any official sense. And I've never felt the need to go that route, but I certainly respect everyone who has.

Meanwhile, my husband is Muslim and deeply at peace with his faith. He observes Ramadan religiously (ha) and doesn't touch pork since he grew up turned off by the texture and smell. But he doesn't go to any mosque, and we do enjoy a nice glass of wine with dinner whenever we like. (Besides during Ramadan, of course, when we don't even kiss if I've enjoyed mouthwash, let alone wine.)

His habits are probably cultural, tied to his early life in Morocco, but his character itself is essential and deep: being a good person, maintaining good relationships with others (of any belief) and caring for the world around us are his biggest concerns. Mine too.

The person who commented that there are 'lots of similarities' made me smile. I didn't think that comment was in reference to beliefs concerning Jesus' divinity. I grew up Catholic and read that remark as a reference to the general overlap in beliefs across all three Abrahamic faiths: Judaism, Christianity, and Islam. Hicham and I had lots of long talks about religious beliefs and upbringing/traditions while we first got to know each other, and we were both always pleasantly surprised to see how many stories come up in both the Bible (Both Old T and the gospels) and Quran. My childhood love of certain Bible stories and themes found close copies in his memories of favorite suras. True faith, and true submission to the divine, have something to do with the main ideas from both faiths, perhaps.

Best wishes with your decision, if you're still considering conversion. Regardless of your 'official' religious status (and ours) he and I both wish you peace.

Looking forward to lots of his homemade harira this Ramadan,

E

Me (Indiana) & Him (Fes, Morocco)

Summer 2002: Met in Morocco
Summer 2004: Began work on 129f; joined VJ rather than hiring a lawyer

I-129f Submission & Approval
Oct 19, 2004: I-129f to VSC
Oct 29: NOA2 online -- approved in 6 days, 10/23 to 10/29!

From NVC to Consulate & All the Way Home...
Nov 8, 2004: Case to Casablanca
Feb 23: Interview; CO said they'll call in 2-3 weeks
Mar 2: Casa calls; visa in hand the next day!
Mar 24: Arrival at JFK; over four hours waiting, but got an EAD
April 15, 2005: Married

AOS
Aug 10, 2005: AOS/EAD/AP to Chicago
Nov 12: AOS prints taken

2006, 2007, 2008, 2009:
EAD renewals often delayed. (?)
Info-Pass officials will say only that "other authorities" are handling our case; we eventually got our Senator's office involved
Spring 2009: A letter arrives, saying his 2005 fingerprints have expired and need to be updated. We head down to Indy and get his prints redone.
June 2009: We FINALLY get the AOS interview letter just shy of FOUR YEARS since submission of AOS application...

July 2009: after the interview, his 10-year Green Card arrives. Alle-freaking-luia.

N-400

Application in progress, 2015. We divorced in 2012 but are still good friends. E is helping organize H's application for Naturalization... fingers crossed!

How hard to pin down the truth, especially when one is obliged to see the world in slices; snapshots conceal as much as they make plain. (Rushdie, Shame)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Syria
Timeline

not to change the subject but why do u have a aos timeline when u r calling him ur fiance and saying its impossible to bring him to the states...im totally confused.

ok back to topic.

as for me and my husband. i am christian and he is muslim and it works out fine for us. he knew first off i will not change no matter what. im only on this earth a short time with him and no matter what he says he can never convince me that jesus is not the way to heaven and islam is. my eternity is with jesus and my stay on earth is a short one with him. i will never trade jesus in on what some man (my husband) believes.

but its your choice.

Edited by donnaal

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
not to change the subject but why do u have a aos timeline when u r calling him ur fiance and saying its impossible to bring him to the states...im totally confused.

Because this thread is over a year old. She's married now and he's here. :)

I'm not covert about being a convert.

:innocent:

12/28/06 - got married :)

02/05/07 - I-130 NOA1

02/21/07 - I-129 NOA1

04/09/07 - I-130 and I-129F approval email sent!!!!

04/26/07 - Packet 3 received

06/16/07 - Medical Examination

06/26/07 - Packet 3 SUBMITTED FINALLY!!!!

07/07/07 - Received pkt 4

07/22/07 - interview consular never bothered to show up for work.

07/29/07 - interview.

4_6_109v.gif

Ron Paul 2008

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.