46 posts in this topic

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: China
Timeline
Do you run Linux, and if so, which distro. I am starting to play around this now.

Ubuntu. It's easier to install than any version of Windows I've ever installed (most of them), is virtually virus and spyware proof, everything works as soon as you first start it up, any codecs or plugins you need install themselves (just click OK and put in your password), and it runs great on my 7+ year old computer. And it's FREE.

I've been using it for two years, and I'll never go back to Mircrosuck.

10-28-2008 - I-129F petition in the mail

11-03-2008 - NOA1

03-26-2009 - NOA2

04-23-2009 - P3

06-11-2009 - P4

07-16-2009 - interview - APPROVED

07-22-2009 - visa in hand

08-05-2009 - US entry

09-13-2009 - wedding

10-20-2009 - AOS application in the mail

10-28-2009 - NOA

11-25-2009 - biometrics appointment

12-18-2009 - EAD approved

12-22-2009 - EAD card received

01-28-2010 - interview - APPROVED

02-12-2010 - green card received

11-07-2011 - I-751 petition in the mail

11-10-2011 - NOA

12-30-2011 - biometrics appointment

08-13-2012 - approval

03-28-2013 - N-400 application in the mail

04-02-2013 - NOA

04-30-2013 - biometrics appointment

06-13-2013 - interview - APPROVED

08-26-2013 - oath

Do you run Linux, and if so, which distro. I am starting to play around this now.

Ubuntu. It's easier to install than any version of Windows I've ever installed (most of them), is virtually virus and spyware proof, everything works as soon as you first start it up, any codecs or plugins you need install themselves (just click OK and put in your password), and it runs great on my 7+ year old computer. And it's FREE.

I've been using it for two years, and I'll never go back to Mircrosuck.

I downloaded Mint and tried running it from a live cd, but it is too slow to even test it out. I am very interested in trying Linux but I can't get rid of Windows completely. I am considering dual booting on a separate partition or using a second hard drive. It was suggested to me to try Mint or Ubuntu to get a stable easy to use version of Linux. What are you running for a processor, RAM, hd, etc?

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: China
Timeline
I downloaded Mint and tried running it from a live cd, but it is too slow to even test it out. I am very interested in trying Linux but I can't get rid of Windows completely. I am considering dual booting on a separate partition or using a second hard drive. It was suggested to me to try Mint or Ubuntu to get a stable easy to use version of Linux. What are you running for a processor, RAM, hd, etc?

Ubuntu is very easy to use, but there are some differences from Windows, so there is a bit of a learning curve if you've never used Linux before. You'll quickly come to appreciate those differences, however.

AMD Athlon 1.4 GHz

512 MB RAM

160 GB HD

I have an old 40 GB HD that I have Windows 2000 on, which I almost never use. Linux can read and write to the NTFS disk with no problems, but Windows can't see the Linux disk at all.

10-28-2008 - I-129F petition in the mail

11-03-2008 - NOA1

03-26-2009 - NOA2

04-23-2009 - P3

06-11-2009 - P4

07-16-2009 - interview - APPROVED

07-22-2009 - visa in hand

08-05-2009 - US entry

09-13-2009 - wedding

10-20-2009 - AOS application in the mail

10-28-2009 - NOA

11-25-2009 - biometrics appointment

12-18-2009 - EAD approved

12-22-2009 - EAD card received

01-28-2010 - interview - APPROVED

02-12-2010 - green card received

11-07-2011 - I-751 petition in the mail

11-10-2011 - NOA

12-30-2011 - biometrics appointment

08-13-2012 - approval

03-28-2013 - N-400 application in the mail

04-02-2013 - NOA

04-30-2013 - biometrics appointment

06-13-2013 - interview - APPROVED

08-26-2013 - oath

Ubuntu is very easy to use, but there are some differences from Windows, so there is a bit of a learning curve if you've never used Linux before. You'll quickly come to appreciate those differences, however.

AMD Athlon 1.4 GHz

512 MB RAM

160 GB HD

I have an old 40 GB HD that I have Windows 2000 on, which I almost never use. Linux can read and write to the NTFS disk with no problems, but Windows can't see the Linux disk at all.

I have a Pentium 4, 2.8 GHz, 512 MB RAM and a brand new 160 GB HD (about 2 weeks ago, with a fresh install of XP)

It has been working very well, like a new machine. I was going to buy a new pc, but I figured I would play around with the this one for a while. It has become my experimental machine. It's a good way to learn. I am looking into buiding something in the future, probably with the new Intel i7 processor.

I noticed that when running the Mint live cd that it recognized windows on the hd.

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
Of the free ones (Avast, Avira or AVG) Avira rates the best. I believe Norton Internet Security 2009 rated best of 'for sale' versions.

See http://www.maximumpc.com/article/features/..._guys_like_this :thumbs:

Avast guards my PC's like a bulldog and it is FREE! :dance:

I would recommend ESET. :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:

My hubby have it installed active for forever though I didn't pay for it.

F2A

Petitioner (My Mom)

Beneficiary (My Sister 18 y.o)

06-07-19- Sent I-130

06-11-19- NOA1

02-19-20- "Initial Review, Transferred to another Visa Center"

03-11-20- APPROVED!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
I'm getting a new PC [windows Vista] and wondered what's "out there" antivirus program wise.

I've been using Norton for years. Seem to have been OK. They wanted $79 to renew my old Norton 360 program.

Anyone have a better [cheaper] system?

While I have used Nortons for years, very unhappy with it, for one thing makes a 2.3 GHz dual core box run slower than a 386. Found System Mechanic Pro, that has a whole bunch of programs for finding problems in your computer and also includes an anti-virus program and a firewall. It found virus's on my kids computer that Norton's overlooked. They have frequent sales, paid around 39 bucks for it, but claims to be licensed for three computers, seems to work on five for me. Updates are typically 20 bucks per year that averages to about four bucks a computer. It also has anti-spyware that is frequently update. And the computers run fast.

Getting rid of Nortons is really a pain in the a$$, they do offer some programs to get rid of most of it, but still have to search you folders and registry to get rid of all of it.

I have yet to find any anti-virus or spyware program that is 100%, 90% seems to be about tops, if anyone knows about a 100% program, I would like to hear about it. Yeah, there is free stuff, but you still get what you pay for.

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

I hate Norton too, it slows down your system A LOT! I had it 2 yrs ago on a laptop I bought, and then paid to have the non trial version. After 2 months I deinstalled it, because it made my computer run much slower than the old one I replaced.

Now I got a new laptop, and it of course again came with trial of Norton. I have to say this one isnt that bad in terms of slowing down system, but still does it, and shouldn't. It definitely overlooks viruses. When I scanned the portable HD it missed a trojan. Some trojans it doesnt even know how to remove, it promts you to a microsoft site for guidance, that is a load of #######.

A woman is like a tea bag: she does not know how strong she is until she is in hot water.

- Nancy Reagan

I have always used Norton. I currently have 360 and like the features

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Africa
Timeline

F-Secure has worked best for me for years.

AVG is great if you wanna go the free route.

AdAware is not what it used to be, MalwareBytes is worth installing though.

Our K1 Journey Timeline

06.00.1998 - Met Online

12.22.2008 - I-129F received by VSC

12.22.2008 - NOA1 issued

04.08.2009 - NOA2 in 107 days - Igors List #174

04.14.2009 - NVC sent to Consulate in South Africa

04.29.2009 - Consulate received

05.04.2009 - Packet #3 received

05.08.2009 - Packet #4 received

05.14.2009 - Medical - Passed

06.22.2009 - Interview - APPROVED

06.29.2009 - Visa in hand

08.06.2009 - POE - Boston

08.22.2009 - Returned to South Africa

I hate Norton too, it slows down your system A LOT! I had it 2 yrs ago on a laptop I bought, and then paid to have the non trial version. After 2 months I deinstalled it, because it made my computer run much slower than the old one I replaced.

Now I got a new laptop, and it of course again came with trial of Norton. I have to say this one isnt that bad in terms of slowing down system, but still does it, and shouldn't. It definitely overlooks viruses. When I scanned the portable HD it missed a trojan. Some trojans it doesnt even know how to remove, it promts you to a microsoft site for guidance, that is a load of #######.

Not true. Norton 2009 is not like that at all. Check it out. It is one of the best security suites out there. It uses very little system resources, extremely light. Do a bit of research and you will see how much has changed.

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

F-Secure has worked best for me for years.

AVG is great if you wanna go the free route.

AdAware is not what it used to be, MalwareBytes is worth installing though.

MalwareBytes is an excellent program. It will get rid of the tough stuff. The current version of AdAware is a waste of time.

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015