WhidbeyGirl

Laptop power cord while in Africa

13 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I figured someone here might be able to help me. If I take my laptop to Africa when I visit where do I find a power cord that will work for charging the battery? I can't find an answer on the Dell site for ANYTHING!!! I do have the travel converters but are those powerful enough and safe enough to run a computer? They got quite hot just charging my cell phone.

TIA

VISA JOURNEY

USCIS Journey

02/23/09 ............I-130 sent

03/27/09.............NOA2

TOTAL 32 DAYS

NVC Journey

04/15/09.............Case # Assigned

07/10/09.............Interview assigned

TOTAL 105 DAYS

Embassy Journey

07/14/09.............Forward the case to Embassy in Dakar, Senegal

09/28/09.............Visa in Hand

TOTAL 80 DAYS

VISA GRAND TOTAL 217 DAYS

US CITIZENSHIP JOURNEY

Conditional Resident Journey

09/29/09.............POE New York PIECE OF CAKE!!!

10/27/09.............2 year Green card received

TOTAL 29 DAYS

Removal of Conditions Journey

07/18/11.............I-751 packet sent

03/23/12............10yr GC Received

TOTAL 249 DAYS

Naturalization Journey

07/03/12.............N-400 packet sent

07/23/12.............Resent N-400 packet (husband FORGOT check!)

08/23/12.............Biometrics done

09/12/12.............Interview letter received

10/16/12.............Interview scheduled

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Not sure what the current is in Senegal, but I lived in Morocco (also a former French colony, so maybe similar to Senegal?) and just used the little adapter thing which changes the shape of the prongs (the kind you buy at RadioShack or wherever). Most computers and ipods nowdays self - convert, so you don't need anything fancy. Just change the prongs with the adapter thing (I can never remember which is an adapter and which is a converter/transformer, I mean you just need the simple, cheap thing). When you get there, you may want to invest in a surge protector, because the electricity can go on and off a lot in Africa. But I found these difficult to find and expensive in morocco (like $30 or more), so if you won't be there a long time, I'd just risk it and not buy one.

Hope that helps!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Hi all,

I figured someone here might be able to help me. If I take my laptop to Africa when I visit where do I find a power cord that will work for charging the battery? I can't find an answer on the Dell site for ANYTHING!!! I do have the travel converters but are those powerful enough and safe enough to run a computer? They got quite hot just charging my cell phone.

TIA

a laptop runs on 12 volts DC... the power adapter converts 120 60 MHZ/240 50 MHZ AC to 12 Volt DC... So if the current is that (which it should be) as long as you can plug it in then you are fine

YMMV

Thanks! Will those work well long term also - say if I leave it there with him?

VISA JOURNEY

USCIS Journey

TOTAL 32 DAYS

NVC Journey

TOTAL 105 DAYS

Embassy Journey

TOTAL 80 DAYS

US CITIZENSHIP JOURNEY

TOTAL 29 DAYS

TOTAL 249 DAYS

Naturalization Journey

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

For your laptop all you should need is a plug adapter. It should run off either voltage . If you look at the box in the middle it should have markings for 110-240 v If so just buy and adapter

adapter site

For other things you might need a voltage converter.

First visit:2007-09-12 to 2008-09-23

I-129F Sent : 2007-11-24

I-129F NOA1 : 2007-11-30

I-129F NOA2 : 2008-03-31

NVC Received : 2008-04-21

NVC Left : 2008-04-23

Consulate Received : 2008-04-28

Packet 3 Received : 2008-05-20

Interivew date : 2008-08-07 CO asks inappropraite questions

His father died: 2008-08-18

Retain Marc Ellis 2008-09

Visited Nigeria again: 2008-11-12

petitioned returned to CSC :2008-11-27

returned to USA 2008-12-13

His father buried 2009-01-03

picks up K1 visa Nov 2009

Marriage Dec 2009

take throne as Igwe /Lolo 2010 or 2011

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I left my laptop with my fiance when I went last September to Nigeria and he is using it with a adapter that I brought.

K1 Journey:

Filed: 2009-01-12... USCIS Approved: 2009-06-05... 1st Interview/Admin Review: 2009-09-09...2nd Interview/Approved: 2010-01-27

AOS Journey:

Filed: 2010-05-20... Interview: 2010-11-30... Approved: 2010-12-03... Card Rcvd: 2010-12-18...

Whew! Done!.... Well, for the next two years anyway...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline
For your laptop all you should need is a plug adapter. It should run off either voltage . If you look at the box in the middle it should have markings for 110-240 v If so just buy and adapter

adapter site

For other things you might need a voltage converter.

This is what we do :thumbs:

Mama to 2 beautiful boys (August 2011 and January 2015)

Click for full timeline

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Also, becasue a laptop stores the power on the battery, it is usually not affected by power surges or power (generator) cutting on and off like a desktop. You can use an adapter purchased in U S or a surge protector purchased in Nigeria that has the proper plug. Or if you layover in in Europe buy the proper connecting cord. The cord coming from the computer with the box attached remains the same only the cord that goes into the socket changes, and can be purchased at the airport or on line. This is the surge protector I use.

I hope this helps.

http://international-electrical-supplies.c...geprotect3.html

Naturalization

7/14 Mailed Packet

7/19 NOA

8/14 Biometrics

8/17 In line for Interview

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

If you want to make the adapter last (and the computer power supply), I would recommend a voltage regulator. I worked in IT in Ghana for a long time and computers have a short life if they are subjected to the ups and downs of the voltage...it's just not as steady there (in Ghana, anyway, and I would assume other parts of West Africa). All the internet cafes and offices use them to protect their machines, plus heavy duty surge protectors. All of this equipment was readily available in Accra and not too expensive.

--------------------------

Becoming a U.S. Citizen

2/15/10 Sent N-400 packet via Fedex to Lewisville TX

2/19/10 Received text message and email notification of application received, check cashed

2/27/10 Received biometrics appointment letter

3/19/10 Biometrics appointment

3/25/10 Received email notice that case will be sent for interview scheduling at local office

3/26/10 Received yellow letter asking to being more tax records/info to interview

3/27/10 Received interview letter (dated 3/24/10)

4/28/10 Interview appointment

6/5/10 Received oath letter (dated 6/1/10)

6/29/10 Oath ceremony date

If you want to make the adapter last (and the computer power supply), I would recommend a voltage regulator. I worked in IT in Ghana for a long time and computers have a short life if they are subjected to the ups and downs of the voltage...it's just not as steady there (in Ghana, anyway, and I would assume other parts of West Africa). All the internet cafes and offices use them to protect their machines, plus heavy duty surge protectors. All of this equipment was readily available in Accra and not too expensive.

This is what was recommended when I went to Africa for the same reason.

The longer it takes to introduce yourself the less you've actually accomplished

Thank you all VERY much!

VISA JOURNEY

USCIS Journey

TOTAL 32 DAYS

NVC Journey

TOTAL 105 DAYS

Embassy Journey

TOTAL 80 DAYS

US CITIZENSHIP JOURNEY

TOTAL 29 DAYS

TOTAL 249 DAYS

Naturalization Journey

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

D'oh! I wish I'd known that before I spent 300+ dirhams on a surge protector!! Well, you live and you learn!

Also, becasue a laptop stores the power on the battery, it is usually not affected by power surges or power (generator) cutting on and off like a desktop. You can use an adapter purchased in U S or a surge protector purchased in Nigeria that has the proper plug. Or if you layover in in Europe buy the proper connecting cord. The cord coming from the computer with the box attached remains the same only the cord that goes into the socket changes, and can be purchased at the airport or on line. This is the surge protector I use.

I hope this helps.

http://international-electrical-supplies.c...geprotect3.html

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline

I bought a power converter at London airport for $10 and lost it soon after, then bought a real cheap one in a market in Nairobi and it worked well.

July 17 Picked up Visa

July 25th POE LAX

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.