faith

AOS denied... please help!

121 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

It should be titled Motion to Reopen. Motion to reconsider is for when they made a mistake in the law they applied.

We had to do an MTR for a different reason and were successful. See my recent threads on britexpats for info on what you must submit in MTR as there are certain statutory requirements. I was eight months pregnant at the time. We also got our congressman involved.

Thanks, guys, for all the advice. I've finally calmed down a bit and we had already decided on the plan of action for today. Unfortunately, I HAVE to go to work today (can't afford to lose my job with hubby not able to work anymore), but Johnny is going to march down to the doctor's office and demand they make it right. He is also going to try to get them to write something that admits that they screwed up. (good luck, right?) And then he is going down to USCIS with a letter I typed up titled "Motion to reconsider" that states exactly what happened, and give them the new correct documents. He is going to TRY to talk to someone (you know how they are down there) and ask them what we need to do to make it right. We figured if all else fails then, I am calling a friend of mine who works for an immigration attorney and asking advice... I'm calling my congressman, and if nothing else works we are going to contact the media. The local stations here have great sections on the news called things like "you paid for" and stuff like that. I'm willing to go as far as I have to go to get someone to notice this case and get it fixed. Especially since we've done EVERYTHING right and legal and here a USCIS approved doctor screws it up for us. BTW, we got the doctor's name directly from our interviewing officer, she gave us a list of the "approved" ones.

I hate to play that "i'm pregnant (whine) " card... but if I have to I will. It won't hurt that I'm very obviously pregnant when it comes to getting people to at least feel sorry for us.

I'm going to try to keep this on the first page so that if anyone else knows anything they can see it. Plus, hopefully people will read this and at least be wary of the "approved" doctors that USCIS sends them to. If I've learned anything at all in the last 24 hours, it's this: DEMAND to see the paperwork before they seal it up.

I've cut and pasted my discussion from a week or two ago here. By the way you can bet when we submitted my MTR that I mentioned SEVERAL TIMES about me being pregnant:

Since I got so much help in my own reopen [thanks esp Rete and Mr F], I decided to try to find the link for you to the CFR section (8 CFR 103.5), and I checked, the fee is now $385. Ignore what they say about the using the form, because it used to exist and does not anymore:

http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/tex....6.0.1.5&idno=8

You will call it a motion to reopen, not a motion to reconsider. The motion can be in letter form. As you will see from the CFR section, the requirements for the reopen letter areA) In writing and signed by the affected party or the attorney or representative of record, if any; (B) accompanied by the fee, © Accompanied by a statement about whether or not the validity of the unfavorable decision has been or is the subject of any judicial proceeding and, if so, the court, nature, date, and status or result of the proceeding; [i.e., that is has not been the subject of any judicial proceeding in your case] (D) Addressed to the official having jurisdiction; [the one who signed the denial letter] and (E) Submitted to the office maintaining the record upon which the unfavorable decision was made for forwarding to the official having jurisdiction. [bUT I caution you again, mail to Chicago Lockbox and once they cash the check, they will forward it to the office. Address it to the office who issued the decision, c/o Chicago Lockbox. at the Chicago Lockbox address]

Along with your letter outlining why your case should be reopen, submit a notarized affidavit describing what happened. To be successful, you must prove that there are new facts to be provided in the reopened proceeding and that claim must be supported by affidavits or other documentary evidence. A motion to reopen an application or petition denied due to abandonment must be filed with evidence that the decision was in error because:

(i) The requested evidence was not material to the issue of eligibility;

(ii) The required initial evidence was submitted with the application or petition, or the request for initial evidence or additional information or appearance was complied with during the allotted period; or

(iii) The request for additional information or appearance was sent to an address other than that on the application, petition, or notice of representation, or that the applicant or petitioner advised the Service, in writing, of a change of address or change of representation subsequent to filing and before the Service's request was sent, and the request did not go to the new address.

Good luck.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

well, they told us we have to make an infopass appointment. so i got online and actually we could have had one later this afternoon, but we need to get the kids from school today as I can not justify paying a babysitter when I'm not sure when my husband is going to be able to wrok again. So I made an appointment to speak to an immigration officer on Monday morning. I also have a call in to a local immigration attorney who is supposed to call me back later today to speak with me about this issue. So maybe it's best to speak to him before our monday appointment so that we can try to get this taken care the right way.

And like I said, if we are going to have to pay that big of a fee, then we will definitely be suing the doctor's office who screwed up to recoup that money.. hence the call in to the lawyer.

I'm not messing around here. Just because I want my husband with me and my family complete, I will not be taken advantage of.

March 4, 2004 NOA 1

June 29, 2004 NOA 2

August 26th -- interview date - we need to complete a I-601 waiver so it's back to waiting again

January 6, 2005 i-601 waiver approved!!!!

January 21, 2005 VISA IN HAND

February 12, 2005 WEDDING!!!!!

March 10, 2005 mailed AOS and EAD applications to Chicago

April 18, 2005 EAD and AOS receipt dates for NOA

June 30, 2005 AOS RFE evidence submitted (translated birth certificate)

August 10, 2005 ---EAD approved via infopass appointment

October 18, 2005 - AOS interview in St. Louis - received an RFE for vaccination supplement

February 9, 2006 - denial for AOS letter due to the wrong form being submitted from the doctor. PLEASE MAKE SURE THIS DOESN'T HAPPEN TO YOU!!

February 16, 2006 - USCIS accepts the motion to reopen without an additional fee - finally something goes right! We should hear from USCIS St. Louis office within 2 weeks.

April 3, 2006 - Received welcome to America letter in the mail!

April 8, 2006 - Received GC in the mail - done for 2 years!!!!

March 1, 2008 - mailed off I-751

March 3, 2008 NSC delivery confirmation

March 10, 2008 NOA 1

March 28, 2008 Biometrics appointment

Legal Permanent Resident - just waiting for time to pass for him to have eligibility for citizenship.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Sorry to hear what happened Faith. :(

I am just wondering if they were asking for the medical like there were for the other couple that just got denied. Maybe its the medical they were looking for and not just the supplement form. Just sounds so familiar to her story. I believe there is another couple on here that thought they only had to send in the supplement but they had to do the medical over again. They received an RFE for sending the supplement form, then sent in the medical and were approved. Not saying this is the case, but something maybe you might want to look into. I hope you get this solved fast. Try and relax for you and the baby. I know it must be hard to, casue I would be freakin myself. HUGS (F)

PEGGY & ROGER

3dflagsdotcom_canad_2fawm.gif3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawm.gif

K-1/K-2 VISA'S APPROVED IN MONTREAL MAY 2, 2005

K-1/K-2 AOS APPROVED IN ATLANTA MAY 17, 2006

10 year GC Approved - APRIL 16th ,2009 - Peggy and Jonathan's......

Still waiting for our cards...Had to file I-90 as they sent them to the wrong address.

March 9th, 2010, Received GC that has been lost in the mail for 10 months. Still waiting for my son's that is lost as well.

Filed Waiver for my son's 10 year GC and it was approved. He finally received his GC after its been missing for 2 years.

Thanking God this is over for 10 years.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Faith,

My PM's don't appear to be working for some reason. I hit send and it says its sent but when i check the sent items there is nothing there.

So... below is the message I just tried to send you

Hey, I didn't get a PM from you with that info..... just thought I'd ask because you posted that you had just PMed it....

No idea what happened to the original one then. Here's the details again of Mary Ballard, the USCIS liason in Congressman Shinkus's office.

Mary Ballard, District Aide

Office of Congressman John Shimkus

3130 Chatham Road, Ste. C

Springfield, IL 62704

217-492-5090

217-492-5096 fax

Mary.ballard@mail.house.gov

She was a real help to me with my EAD and as you live so close, I'm sure she'd be able to give you some help or advice on this situation. If you like you say that Mark Glazerman gave you her details. I'd suggest trying to call and if thats no luck, email her with all the datils of your case.

Hope she can be of some help and good luck with everything.

Mark :)

Our Full Timeline From K-1 Application through to Receiving my Green Card

Timeline Summary

11/30/2007 - I-751 Mailed to Nebraska

12/28/2007 - NOA Received (application has been forwarded to California)

01/09/2008 - Biometrics taken in St. Louis

03/27/2008 - I-751 Approved, 10 Yr Greencard in the mail !!

12/20/2016 - N-400 mailed to Phoenix lockbox

01/17/2017 - NOA Received

01/25/2017 - Attended biometrics in St. Louis

09/29/2017 - Received I-797C notice dated 09/27/17.  Interview Scheduled for November 6th @ 8am

11/06/2017 - N400 interview in St. Louis.  Approved !!:jest:

02/05/2018 - Notice of Oath Ceremony date received.  March 1st, 2018 @ 8.30am

"Though miles once lay between us, we were never far apart, for true love doesn't count the miles, it's measured by the heart"

Check out our website - "Our Journey Together"

View Our Online Photo Albums - "Mark and Debs' Webshots Albums"

Timeline

mark,

it came through the last time you sent it... weird.

thanks!!

March 4, 2004 NOA 1

June 29, 2004 NOA 2

August 26th -- interview date - we need to complete a I-601 waiver so it's back to waiting again

October 18, 2005 - AOS interview in St. Louis - received an RFE for vaccination supplement

February 9, 2006 - denial for AOS letter due to the wrong form being submitted from the doctor. PLEASE MAKE SURE THIS DOESN'T HAPPEN TO YOU!!

February 16, 2006 - USCIS accepts the motion to reopen without an additional fee - finally something goes right! We should hear from USCIS St. Louis office within 2 weeks.

March 10, 2008 NOA 1

Legal Permanent Resident - just waiting for time to pass for him to have eligibility for citizenship.

Faith, I have no advice to offer, but I admire your assertive approach and willingness to persist. Best of luck to you next week. :thumbs:

Abby (U.S.) and Ewen (Scotland): We laughed. We cried. Our witness didn't speak English. Happily married (finally), 27 December 2006.

Latest news: Green card received 16 April 2007. USCIS-free until 3 January 2009! Eligible to naturalize 3 April 2010.

Click on the "timeline" link at the left to view our timeline. And don't forget to update yours!

The London Interviews Thread: Wait times, interview dates, and chitchat for all visa types

The London Waivers Thread: For I-601 or I-212 applicants in London (UK, Ireland, and Scandinavia)

The London Graduates Thread: Moving stateside, AOS, and OT for London applicants and petitioners

all the mud in this town, all the dirt in this world

none of it sticks on you, you shake it off

'cause you're better than that, and you don't need it

there's nothing wrong with you

--Neil Finn

On second thought, let us not go to Camelot. 'Tis a silly place.

--Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Timeline

right now we are at a standstill today. We have the infopass appointment on Monday, I've talked to one of my congressman's office and she has already received our letter requesting help and is working on it, and if we need to on Monday we can go in to the lawyer and talk to him as well.

As hard as it is, I think we're going to try to forget about this for the weekend. It's our anniversary, and we had booked a room at the Lodge at Pere Marquette State Park (it's so pretty up there and it's also eagle watching time of year) and that's already paid for, so we are going to go and try to enjoy our first anniversary. Other than that we are trying to make things as normal as possible for my children at this point, and I'm trying to remain calm so as not to hurt the baby...

I'll still be checking in here for any more advice... and we'll be working on Sunday to prepare documentation and get things ready to speak to the immigration officer on Monday.

March 4, 2004 NOA 1

June 29, 2004 NOA 2

March 10, 2008 NOA 1

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi, Faith. I'm really sorry to hear that news... I also don't have any advice to offer, but, I feel for you. I'll be praying for you, and I also pray that the same thing wouldn't happen to me, as I just sent them the RFEs they requested for my entire medical exam, plus immunization supplement.

My husband picked up the sealed envelope for me and when he went back, he has with him photocopies of what was inside the envelope EXCEPT for the I-693 which is the FOrm for the MEdical Exam!!! It was too late to do anything coz the package was already brought to the Post Office. I called up the DOctor's Office and they insisted that the forms were complete. They refused to let me speak with the doctor.

SO, now, there's nothing left for me to do but WAIT... I can't relax till I get the letter from the USCIS, hoping it will be an APPROVAL. Knowing people have been denied for their Medical RFEs is so upsetting, especially when it was, obviously, the doctor's fault...

Take care of yourself and the baby...

AOS Timeline:

12/10/2004 - Filed AOS to Newark

9/27/2005 - Case transferred to CSC

12/2/2005 - Notice Date of RFE for Medical

2/1/2006 - Sent back Medical RFE docs to CSC

2/2 - CSC received RFE docs

2/7 - "Touched"

2/8 - "Touched"

3/9 - "Touched"

3/10 - "Touched"

4/20 - Another Medical RFE for properly filled out I-693

5/10 - sent out RFE docs

5/19 - case APPROVED!!!!

5/26 - "error-free" Green Card in the mail!

Application to Lift Conditions February 19, 2008

Hi Faith,

im sorry to hear about your ordeal. i just had my medical exam for my RFE. The doctor was extremely nice to us. When my husband picked up the sealed envelop, the doctor talk to him on his office & he also gave us a copy of everything that's on the sealed envelop. He also ask my husband to check our copy & if the details(like names & SSn ) on the papers where correct. but the USCIS received my RFE packet 2 days late where suppose to be my last submission. so im hoping i won't be denied & i hope your case will be reopen or maybe you can re apply.

good luck!!!!

xtin

Michael (U.S)- xtin (U.K)

03/2003- start dating

07/04/2004 - I29F submitted to Texas Center

11/08/2004 - my honey's 8th & last visit[/color].

11/09/2004 - Interview & SUCCESS!!!

11/12/2004 - Flight to SC with my honey

12/29/2004 - The big day; OUR WEDDING DAY!!!

02/03/2005 - AOS & EAD sent to TSC

03/14/2005 - EAD & AOS NOA1 received!

03/14/2005 - check cashed in

04/12/2005 - Biometrics/fingerprinting done in Charlotte, N.C.

04/20/2005 - EAD card received!!!

09/19/2005 - received email from USCIS, case transferred to CSC

12/23/2005 - Im PREGNANT!!! (don't believe right away if dr's said "u can't have a baby!")[/

02/15/2006 - received e-mail from USCIS AOS APPPROVED!!

02/21/2006 - GREEN CARD RECEIVED!!!!!!! !!!!!!!

08/11/2006 - Its a BABY GIRL!!!!!! (my honey said she's my mini me!)

12/2006 - My hubby was dx with cancer

04/2007 - The saddest day of my life... my hubby passed away at the age of 38

01/08/2008 - Removal of condition application submitted (I-751) to VSC

01/24/2008 - Checked cash in

01/26/2008 - NOA received

02/22/2008 - Biometrics appointment

03/2008 - Letter of extension received.

08/2008 - VSC still processing 09/2007 application

11/2008 - Patiently waiting..........

12/12/2008 - 10 yr. green card received!! !!!!

01/25/2010 - waiting for the time to apply for citizenship!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

this is absurd. Whenever I think the limit can not be breached, it is! Have a great anniversary! keep us posted, you know vjers are on your side!

Barbara (Canada) & Dallas (USC)

AOS

Nov 13 2005 EAD & I-485 sent to Chicago Lockbox

Nov 22, 2005 EAD & I-485 NOA1

Dec 15, 2005 Biometrics for EAD & I-485

Dec 19, 2005 EAD & I-485 Touched

Jan 21, 2006 Rec'd I-485 Fingerprint Reschedule Notice (AHHH!!!)

Feb 10, 2006 Fingerprint App't

Feb 1, 2006 EAD Approved!!!!

Feb 11, 2006 Rec'd EAD card

Feb 13, 2006 Applied for SSN

Feb 17, 2006 Rec'd SSN

Feb 23, 2006 I-485 Transferred to CSC (AHHH!!)

Mar 02, 2006 I-485 Has been received at CSC

Mar 13, 2006 I-485 Touched

Mar 14, 2006 I-485 Touched

Apr 15 & 25 2006 emailed CSC for status inquiry on I-485

Apr 26 2006 received a response from CSC, another response in 60 days (ahhhhh!!!)

Apr 27, 2006 I-485 Touched

Jun 17, 2006 I-485 Touched

Jun 19, 2006 I-485 Touched

Jun 20, 2006 I-485 Touched

July 3, 2006 emailed CSC again, no response given in the allotted 60 days time frame.

July 27, 2006 received a response from CSC, another response will be given in 30 days.. ha ha ha.

***app sent back to Missouri ***app sent to Chicago

Aug 21 2006 touched

Sept 29 2006 3rd year Anniversay

October 13, 2006 Immigration Interview - Need to return with Long Form Birth Certificate

October 13, 2006 Long Form Birth Cert ordered with expediated shipping

October 18, 2006 Birth Cert Received

October 19, 2006 2nd Immigration Interview - APPROVED

5-20 business days for the Green Card to arrive, maybe I'll be back to see my family before Christmas?

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
My PM's don't appear to be working for some reason. I hit send and it says its sent but when i check the sent items there is nothing there.

Mark, fyi about the PMs: right now you have to tick the box to save a message to your sent folder for *each* PM.. no more global 'save' as before (beg the Cap'n!).

They get sent alright, but don't show in your Sent folder unless you checked that box.

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Timeline

we got copies this time from the doctor yesterday. So at least we know this new batch is done right.

About now, I'm ready to go in there on monday and file whatever in the hell we need to file to get my hubby's status fixed and EAD reinstated. So, if I have to pay some fee, I'll pay it, but we will surely be going after the doctor for the cost, that's for sure.

I just want this all to be over.....

March 4, 2004 NOA 1

June 29, 2004 NOA 2

March 10, 2008 NOA 1

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: New Zealand
Timeline

I'm so sorry this happened to you both... good luck with everything.

May 20 03 - Entered US via Bahamas. I-94 90 days visa waiver

July 18th 2003 - Married!!

July 20 03 - I-94 expired

Feb 28 05 - 3 sponsors pulled out.

March 1 05 - Friend earns enough to sponsor

March 11 05 - Joint sponsors papers recieved, ALL GO

March 11 05 - Medical Exam complete $180 Bakersfield CA

March 23 05 - 10.45am Infopass appt Fresno Office - File AOS

March 23 05 - Didn't accept legal birth cert, Need more info & new appt

March 30th 05 - AOS appt 1pm

March 30th 05 - 5 hour wait EAD authorised

April 15 05 - Fingerprinting letter received, Bakersfield

April 21 05 - SSN applied for

April 21 05 - Fingerprinting appt..

April 26 05 - SSN Letter of receipt received

April 30 2005 - SSN Card received

June 10 05 - CoA sent to Fresno

June 13 05 - AOS Interview letter received

June 17 05 - CoA confirmation letter received, File transfered to KC Office

June 27th 2005 - New interview date KC -July 27!

June 27th 2005 - AOS APPROVED IN 15 MINS!!!

Nov 1 05 - Letter sent for status

Nov 4 05 - Letter back, case still pending

Jan 17 06 - Official Letter of Approval for Perm Residency!

Feb 11 06 - I-171 Notice of action letter for approval. Online status approved I-181

Mar 1st 06 - GREEN CARD ARRIVED, expires 2016!!! HOORAY its over!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I have you and your family in my prayers. I am confident that Monday will bring a little peace of mind to you both. (F)

*Karen -- Jamaica ....... Courtney -- New Jersey*

09-12-05 - AOS filed

04-21-06 - AOS Interview

04-27-06 - Approval

05-17-06 - Green Card in hand

02-11-08 - File to remove conditions

03-15-08 - Biometrics

03-18-09 - Approved - No interview (Card production ordered)

03-24-09 - 10-year card arrives!

adaf8672.gif

JimminiCricket.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.