nunyab

Family is telling hubby to shave

57 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

So Grandfather and brothers are suggesting to my husband to shave before he gets on the plane to come here. Is that really necessary? I love his beard mushallah.

I understand cause he is Muslim, has Halal meals being served so the airlines already know he's muslim but do you think it will matter weither or not he has a beard?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Malaysia
Timeline
So Grandfather and brothers are suggesting to my husband to shave before he gets on the plane to come here. Is that really necessary? I love his beard mushallah.

I understand cause he is Muslim, has Halal meals being served so the airlines already know he's muslim but do you think it will matter weither or not he has a beard?

If I'm correct, in the muslim faith, the men shave their beards clean when they are getting ready to meet Allah. Perhaps his parents are think that flying is dangerous? and something might happen to him? Ergo he should be ready to meet Allah?

Filed: Other Country: Morocco
Timeline

From what you explained the other day it isn't that long so I don't think it's a big deal. It shouldn't matter at all, I agree.

Maggie

08-07-06 I129 NOA1

02-05-07 Visa in Hand

02-13-07 POE JFK w/temp EAD

02-23-07 Civil Marriage

06-17-07 Wedding

08-13-07 Card received in mail

04-14-09 Trip to Maui for Anniversary

06-04-09 Filed to lift conditions

08-13-09 Perm Card received

Seems such a shame that this is worthy of concern :(

I would ask my husband not to shave, but he usually shaves or keeps his beard very short and trimmed.

Praying an uneventful and easy entry for your husband.

Marriage : 2008-07-03

I-130 Sent : 2008-09-30

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-10-03

Dec 22 2008 Transferred to California Service Center

I-130 Approved : 2009-01-12

NVC Received : 2009-1-16

Officially in AVR : 2009-1-17 emailed scanned DS 3032

DS 3032 generated and accepted via email/ AOS I-864 generated : 2009-1-23

Received I-864 Bill : 2009-1-26

Pay I-864 Bill : 2009-1-26 status PAID 1-28

Pay IV Bill : 2009-1-26 status PAID 1-28

Send Completed I 864 and IV Package (overnight) : 2009-2-4 (had to wait for hubby's PC and original birth certificate to arrive)

Case Completed at NVC : 2009-2-11 !!!!

NVC Left : Received email March 3rd

Medical Completed : March 12, 2009

Interview Date : April 22, 2009. 8 am. VISA APPROVED!!!

Visa in Hand : April 27th, 2008!!! Arrival May 11th! POE JFK

Processing Estimates/Stats : Your I-130 was approved in 101 days from your NOA1 date. NVC completed in 26 days! Interview was 201 days from Noa 1.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
well if they think he's a terrorist they will weither or not he shaves right???

i guess they wont think he is terrorist cause if they think he is they wouldn't allow him to get a visa from the beginning .

i think they understand that a Muslim guy can have a beard its like the Muslim woman who is wearing hijab . do you think its necessary to tahe the hijab off before she gets on the plane ?? don't think so

Nothing's impossible . Nothing's unreachable .When I am weary you make me stronger

This love is beautiful .So unforgettable . I feel no winter cold when we are together .

Will you stand by me ?!!!Hold on and never let me go .

Will you stand by me?!! With you i know i belong . When the story gets told .

When day turns into night .I look into your eyes . I see my future now .All the world and its wonder

This love wont fade away.And through the hardest days . I will never question us .You are the reason my only reason.

I'm blessed to find what i need in a world loosing hope. you are my only believe .

You make things right every time after time.....

Will you stand by me ?!!!

I love you so much and i miss you so much more .

anm68b54b0b16262b16.gif

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Iran
Timeline

The more western he looks, the easier it will be for him, but he should do what he is comfortable with. Supposedly security is not supposed to pay closer attention to anyone due to their ethnicity/religion, but you know it happens. And of course, the passengers will be watching him closely for any strange behavior. I would also warn him to only pray in the areas set aside in the airports for that. Make sure he doesn't do it in the open. No picture taking either. Yes this is all very, very sad. Do women have to take off the hijab to go through security? I remember this being something of a controversy before.

Pandora and Hesam

K-3 Visa

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Montreal, Canada

Marriage : 2008-08-29 in Canada

I-130 Sent : 2008-10-14

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-10-20

I-130F NOA2 : 2009-05-04

I-129F Sent : 2008-11-25

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-11-28

I-129F NOA2 : 2009-05-04

NVC Received : 2009-05-12

Packet 3 Received : 2009-05-19

Packet 3 Sent : 2009-06-10

Interview: 2009-09-10 APPROVED

See my interview experience here: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...=217544&hl=

Visa Received : 2009-09-16

US Entry : 2009-09-27

EAD received: 2009-12-21

AOS interview: 2010-02-05 (medical exam missing from documents)

Recieved RFE for missing medical exam that they lost. Submitted new exam March 10, 2010.

Notified that he is in background checks after submitting three service requests: July, 2010

Timeline

the women leaving casa were pulled from the line and checked closer

TIMELINE

04/04/2007 K1 Interview from H...w/the devil herself

06/12/2007 Rec'd Notification Case Now Back In Calif. only to expire

-------------

11/20/2007 Married in Morocco

02/23/2008 Mailed CR1 application today

03/08/2008 NOA1 Notice Recd (notice date 3/4/08)

08/26/2008 File transfered fr Vermont to Calif

10/14/2008 APPROVALLLLLLLLLLLL

10/20/2008 Recd hard copy NOA2

10/20/2008 NVC Recd case

11/21/2008 CASE COMPLETE

01/15/2009 INTERVIEW

01/16/2009 VISA IN HAND

01/31/2009 ARRIVED OKC

BE WHO YOU ARE AND SAY WHAT YOU FEEL, BECAUSE THOSE WHO MIND DONT MATTER AND THOSE WHO MATTER DONT MIND

YOU CANT CHANGE THE PAST BUT YOU CAN RUIN THE PRESENT BY WORRYING OVER THE FUTURE

TRIP.... OVER LOVE, AND YOU CAN GET UP

FALL.... IN LOVE, AND YOU FALL FOREVER

I DO HAVE THE RIGHT TO REMAIN SILENT, JUST NOT THE ABILITY

LIKE THE MEASLES, LOVE IS MOST DANGEROUS WHEN IT COMES LATER IN LIFE

LIFE IS NOT THE WAY ITS SUPPOSED TO BE, ITS THE WAY IT IS

I MAY NOT BE WHERE I WANT TO BE BUT IM SURE NOT WHERE I WAS

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
The more western he looks, the easier it will be for him, but he should do what he is comfortable with. Supposedly security is not supposed to pay closer attention to anyone due to their ethnicity/religion, but you know it happens. And of course, the passengers will be watching him closely for any strange behavior. I would also warn him to only pray in the areas set aside in the airports for that. Make sure he doesn't do it in the open. No picture taking either. Yes this is all very, very sad. Do women have to take off the hijab to go through security? I remember this being something of a controversy before.

we wear hijab when we fly and we are always always always always pulled aside for secondary security checks or random security checks, and yep we have been made to take off our hijab to prove we have nothing hiding, i have seen many muslim men flying that have beard some long some well trimmed that being said i have seen many men that are NOT muslim flying with beards as well, i think it is all up to him what he feels comfortable with, we already know when we leave the home for the airport we are in for security but we would never take off our hijab in public so skate thru a airport, and im pretty sure we are in the computer as muslim anyway, as im sure he is too. i personally dont think it will make a difference one way or the other

sara

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

I would say if it is a long full beard like some muslim men I would have him shave. But he needs to look as similar to his visa picture as possible. If it is just a little gotee like thing I wouldn't think it would be an issue and you really don't want him having many problems coming into the US do you? My hubby is pretty much always clean shaven and as far as I know when I seen him go through security to the xray machine on Sunday he must have cleared ok. He actually looked like a lost dog though so that may be why, they figured he has no clue as to what he is doing.

As far as praying, he isn't expected to pray when traveling so many miles away from home until he arrives, correct?

Timeline

Well after a distance from home while traveling the salats are cut in half so when he prays it will not be so long. I should mention to him to find the prayer room for that though. I wear hijab and always am pulled aside for "random" security check. I had one in Amsterdam that was the 3rd one right at the gate. The passengers were boarding and I had to prove where I had been, with whom I had been with and where I was going and my attachments I had in the U.S. Alhamdolilah I had pictures of everyone on my camera to show them but they had completly surrounded me and almost missed the plane.

And I have a U.S. passport so I don't think it matters if he has a u.s. visa and I am as homegrown American looking i think as you can get??? well minus the hijab hehehehe

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

How many hijackers have ever had a sunnah beard? None that I can think of. But still, people can be freaked out by obviously muslim looking people.

My husband was clean shaven, wore a suit and carried a briefcase when he flew. He did spend most of the flight reading the Qur'an, but he had no hassles anywhere. He attributes that to his business attire.

What Tasha mentioned is a good point - don't alter too far from the visa picture.

On the beard front, the husbnad just now starting to grow a goatee after more than 3 years in the US. inshaAllah the goal is to work his way up to a sunnah beard, but he doesn't want to freak anyone out, so he's doing in gradually.

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Timeline
How many hijackers have ever had a sunnah beard? None that I can think of. But still, people can be freaked out by obviously muslim looking people.

My husband was clean shaven, wore a suit and carried a briefcase when he flew. He did spend most of the flight reading the Qur'an, but he had no hassles anywhere. He attributes that to his business attire.

What Tasha mentioned is a good point - don't alter too far from the visa picture.

On the beard front, the husbnad just now starting to grow a goatee after more than 3 years in the US. inshaAllah the goal is to work his way up to a sunnah beard, but he doesn't want to freak anyone out, so he's doing in gradually.

insha'allah. I'll remind him of his visa pic and you're right i can't think of a single one with a Sunnah beard but....... hard to get that out of anyone's mind.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Amsterdam always drilled the heck out of me coming back from the ME. I swear they made you feel like you did something illegal. I don't even wear hijjab and the man left me standing there to go and chat like top secret to somebody on the phone and also to some other guards both times I was there.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.