nunyab

Family is telling hubby to shave

57 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Morocco
Timeline
Amsterdam always drilled the heck out of me coming back from the ME. I swear they made you feel like you did something illegal. I don't even wear hijjab and the man left me standing there to go and chat like top secret to somebody on the phone and also to some other guards both times I was there.

Amsterdam is just a tight airport. I flew back through there from Casa with my parents and son a few years ago. My dad was nearly 80 at the time. As we approached the gate, the man asked 'which one of you is...xx?' We knew then it was dad whose name had been placed on the no fly zone, but they quickly deduced from the birthdate it was not the person they were looking for. After that they lined us up side by side and interrogated us..why we were in Morocco, with who, etc. Like you said Aymsgirl, American as all get out but questioned like a convict, just to LEAVE a foreign country. :blink:

As for you my dear friend Rajaa, I would keep him as Western and oblivious as possible. It is sad. Muslim does not equal terrorist/problems but that is the world in which we must now deal, for now. Who wants hassels to prove a point? We just want him HERE. Then he can be as muslim as he wants. :dance:

I have to say I sure love it when he has his beard :wub:

Aymsgirl I wish I could just say it was just Amsterdam but it happens all the time here in the U.S. too stating i am wearing lose fitting clothes lol... so was the rap wanna be guy in front of me that kept buzzing through the metal detector but i notice he didn't get the extra "random" checks.... oh well such is life ;)

Now that would appear to be discrimination to me! :angry:

Maggie

08-07-06 I129 NOA1

02-05-07 Visa in Hand

02-13-07 POE JFK w/temp EAD

02-23-07 Civil Marriage

06-17-07 Wedding

08-13-07 Card received in mail

04-14-09 Trip to Maui for Anniversary

06-04-09 Filed to lift conditions

08-13-09 Perm Card received

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Country: Morocco
Timeline
I had a problem in all places, Sky Harbor airport in Phoenix! Was returning from one of my trips to Egypt on British Air. Had gone thru customs, no prob, then on my way out I was approached by 5 Homeland security personnel, yep count them 5!! At first I

And then they ask me how much money I was bringing back from Egypt.

I told them I had $30.00 and DID THEY NEED TO SEE IT! What shocked me was when

one of the guys said "are you sure you don't have more"! Well at that point I was kinda

for a better word TICKED OFF and told him, if I had more I would still be in Egypt!

Now comeon people...i'm American as they come, i'm Catholic so no cover, i'm very cordial, nice dressed, ultimate manners (sir and mam) so why did they single me out?

I agree with you. I remember when one of MENA sisters was returning from a visit with her hubby, coming through Canada. It sounded like they didn't want to let her into the USA, and she is a natural born US citizen for crying out loud.

And Rajaa, I'm not saying I think he should shave his beard. The most important is that he looks like his visa pic. After that, do what he thinks is best, be relaxed and comfy so no one has reason to raise suspicion, and bring your hubby HOME!!

Edited by Maggie724

Maggie

08-07-06 I129 NOA1

02-05-07 Visa in Hand

02-13-07 POE JFK w/temp EAD

02-23-07 Civil Marriage

06-17-07 Wedding

08-13-07 Card received in mail

04-14-09 Trip to Maui for Anniversary

06-04-09 Filed to lift conditions

08-13-09 Perm Card received

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

As long as he leaves the weaponry behind he should be fine. *M4E runs* :whistle:

When is he going to be here?

'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride'

Filed: Other Country: Argentina
Timeline
Although I think it is silly that he should have to shave, well my instinct is to tell him to shave. Reason? Well he only has a visa, he is not a US citizen, and he has not in the US as of yet. They can send him back at the port if they choose to do so. Why would they over a beard? Who knows, but why I have seen them do strange things before (ask allousa). You could fight them? Maybe, but unlikely (again ask allousa). But is it worth the risk of having him turned at the POE when you have worked this long to get him here? And all over a beard that will grow back in a few weeks?

Wait until he gets his citizenship before you have him make a stand. Why take chances over a silly beard?

It might seem silly to you, but it is a sunnah of our prophet Mohammed, salallahu alayhi wassalam, and I think it's pretty disrespectful to call it like that.

Well, considering that it is his family (and obviously they would not want to offend the Prophet Mohammed PBUH) asking him to do this and not the USC, I think we can call a few hairs on one's chin and the concern over them silly. :whistle:

Its so sad that this question has to be brought up. I have a friend whose husband is American, but his grandparents are from Lebanon...so he has a lot of middle eastern physical characteristics. She said they alwaysget pulled aside in the airport for that "randomn" security check. People are biased...even though they say they aren't, most people are and that is the sad thing. They don't have the open minds & open hearts and give the benefit of the doubt to everyone. Like my dad said (we are Christian & my husband is Muslim...so that opened a can of worms when I told them I was in love with & wanted to marry a Muslim man)...there are good people & bad people everywhere...regardless of your race, religion or color. Most people don't accept that and prefer to hold people up to stereotypes.

But...I say stand up for what you believe in and that will help to break down those barriers & stereotypes. And plus, what American can really say they are 100% "American"? Our ancestors settled here from other countries for crying out loud! Be proud of who you are & where you come from!

Good luck to you & your husband!

Amanda

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Kuwait
Timeline

I am the security's wet dream, I don't have any idea why, but I have been strip searched, that was in France, worst experience in my whole travel, I had been through ton's of security, I had been questioned and searched and even cried at one point, thought I had made it finally to the line, we are all lined up to broad the plane and the next thing I know I am surrounded by French police, uniformed and undercover, everybody is looking at me, and they tell me to come with them, I am thinking I AM GOING TO JAIL, they stripped searched, took all my medicine that was prescribed, I keep asking what is the problem, they would not say anything, speaking French to each other, and I don't speak French, finally they let me back in line, so I am thinking I am going home, WRONG, they get me right before I am walking out to the plane for one last search. I have a ton of ####### stuck on my passport, the one time I was living in Germany, I come home for the holidays, and go to Los Angeles to catch a plane to Sacramento, and as I go through US customs they ask me how long do I plan on staying in America. ####### I am an American, I had to show them my ticket back to Germany, I was like damn welcome home girl. lol I am sick of it, to me I look normal, I don't stand out at all, but they must smell me a mile away as a mule or something dangerous. When I lived in Germany many years go, we always were striped searched before we could broad the plane to America, they have since changed, but yea I am used to being searched and looked upon as some drug mule, which I would never never carry anything like that, it goes with my life.

A woman is like a tea bag- you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water.

Eleanor Roosevelt

thquitsmoking3.jpg

Filed: Other Country: Iran
Timeline
So Grandfather and brothers are suggesting to my husband to shave before he gets on the plane to come here. Is that really necessary? I love his beard mushallah.

I understand cause he is Muslim, has Halal meals being served so the airlines already know he's muslim but do you think it will matter weither or not he has a beard?

I don't know where you live (if it is really a redneck place or if there are other middle eastern communities). My first feeling is to ignore your family. But maybe they are thinking in your husband's best interest (to avoid harrassment). So a compromise would be a van ####### type of beard. or a closely groomed beard.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Don't you think we have lived interesting lives!!! I was searched in Rome. Think it was the umbrella I was carrying. Fun, fun, fun. Gotta love those Italians!

200552682v4_225x225_Front.jpg

Filed: Other Country: Argentina
Timeline
So Grandfather and brothers are suggesting to my husband to shave before he gets on the plane to come here. Is that really necessary? I love his beard mushallah.

I understand cause he is Muslim, has Halal meals being served so the airlines already know he's muslim but do you think it will matter weither or not he has a beard?

I don't know where you live (if it is really a redneck place or if there are other middle eastern communities). My first feeling is to ignore your family. But maybe they are thinking in your husband's best interest (to avoid harrassment). So a compromise would be a van ####### type of beard. or a closely groomed beard.

Tina, I think its his family that said it to him. :unsure::unsure:

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

I guess there is no solid rule to it then? I think its ur luck whos in duty....i was never randomly checked thank God since i got here and we went to Vegas and back and alhamdulillah no issues and hubby has a trimed beard.

Insha Allah he will be fine whatever he decides to do :D

lyrics.jpg

I got stopped in Amsterdam with my girlfriend and we were interrogated for like 45 minutes! it was intense and we also got the 'did you pack your own bags" question among alll the others stated. It was horrible!!!!! And neither of us wore hijab.

Visited Jordan-December 2004

Interview-December 2005

Visa approved-December 2005, 1 week later after supplying "more information"

Arrived U.S.A.-December 2005

Removed Conditions-September 2008

Divorced in December 2013

lovingmemory.jpgInlovingmemory-2.gifmybabygirl-1-1.jpghenna_rose.jpg37320lovesaved-1.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.