birdboy

Help I screwed up - Bounced Check

22 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I wrote my check out for $3,275 to the Dept. of Homeland Security in Chicago but they cashed it a day earlier than expected (Friday) and I just checked my online banking and my bank has returned the check (this afternoon) for insufficient funds.

Does anybody know how I can contact USCIS in Chicago to tell them to just represent the check tomorrow? Or do I have to wait until I get it all back rejected and have to send it all in again with another check? 

Thanks.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: South Africa
Timeline
I wrote my check out for $3,275 to the Dept. of Homeland Security in Chicago but they cashed it a day earlier than expected (Friday) and I just checked my online banking and my bank has returned the check (this afternoon) for insufficient funds.

Does anybody know how I can contact USCIS in Chicago to tell them to just represent the check tomorrow? Or do I have to wait until I get it all back rejected and have to send it all in again with another check? 

Thanks.

it's probably already on it's way back to you

03/01/2007 - POE - JFK (L-1 Visa)

01/15/2008 - Proposed

03/15/2008 - Married

09/02/2008 - Sent AOS Package (I-130, I-485, I-693)

09/03/2008 - Received - Signed by SMITH

09/04/2008 - Checks deposited

09/10/2008 - Checks cleared ($1010 + $355)

09/12/2008 - 2 NOA's received (I-130, I-485) - Dated 09/08/08

09/16/2008 - Received notice for biometrics appointment on 09/30/2008

09/20/2008 - Biometrics done - Walk in (Orlando) Took 10 minutes

09/22/2008 - I-485 viewable online (pending, of course)

09/30/2008 - Biometrics Appointment (2pm)

12/30/2008 - Received Interview Letter

02/25/2008 - Interview

03/06/2008 - Welcome Letter received (the website will clearly never send me updates!)

Thanks.

thanks alexpapa. does that mean the whole application or just the check? so if i get it all back, everything, I just resend the original application in with a fresh check or money order?

i heard others talk about how they paid over the phone....so I am confused and all freaking out here. what a frickin idiot i am!

thanks so much for helping me.

Timeline

Thanks.

thanks alexpapa. does that mean the whole application or just the check? so if i get it all back, everything, I just resend the original application in with a fresh check or money order?

i heard others talk about how they paid over the phone....so I am confused and all freaking out here. what a frickin idiot i am!

I'm not sure of the details (this has not happened to me personally), I think after reading stories on here that you will get the entire package back and you can just re-send it with a new check.

I have never heard of paying on the phone

01/15/2008 - Proposed

03/15/2008 - Married

02/25/2008 - Interview

03/06/2008 - Welcome Letter received (the website will clearly never send me updates!)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Thanks.

What are you applying for? How come you wrote $3,275? How many applications did you file and what are they?

"Have faith in God, Jesus answered. I'll tell you the truth. if anyone says to this mountain, Go, throw yourself to the sea, and that does not doubt in his heart but believes that what he says will happen. it will be done for him. Therefore I'll tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours" (MARK 11:22-24)

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Thanks.

They generally don't send the applications or petitions back. They just collect the money. What could you possibly have filed for that would require a single check that large? Generally they will return checks and whole packages when you combine fees in a single check.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Thanks.

They generally don't send the applications or petitions back. They just collect the money. What could you possibly have filed for that would require a single check that large? Generally they will return checks and whole packages when you combine fees in a single check.

I screwed up and put the wrong date on my initial check, they sent everything back, I puta check with the right date and not problems.

Overdraft is a different story.

3k + more than one application???

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Zambia
Timeline

I made the check out for the wrong amount and they sent back the whole package. I re-sent with the correct amount and everything went along smoothly after that.

Thanks.

I am on an L1 and have two children on L2. I'm filing for adjustment of status for all three of us and my wife is filing for i-130 for all three of us also.

thanks.

Thanks.

Thanks to everyone who replied with advice.

I got home last night and I found all the recpiepts in the mail, saying that they had recieved my fees and were processing my order! I called this morning and the guy at USCIS thinks that I just have to wait now until I hear something from them. He thinks they could just contact me re-asking for the fee.....I guess I have to wait & see!

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Thanks.

I am on an L1 and have two children on L2. I'm filing for adjustment of status for all three of us and my wife is filing for i-130 for all three of us also.

thanks.

It's the first time I've heard of them accepting a single check for multiple fees. You really just wrote one check?

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Check Payment Processing

If you will make a payment by check, USCIS will convert it into an

Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT). They will make a photocopy of the check

and use the account information on it to electronically debit your account

for the amount of the check. The debit from your account will usually

occur within 24 hours, and will be shown on your regular account

statement.

As the original check will be destroyed, you will not receive it back.

However, if the EFT can't be processed for technical reasons, you

automatically authorize USCIS to process the copy in place of the original

check. If the EFT can't be completed because of insufficient funds, USCIS

may try to make the transfer up to two times.

I-751

01/27/09 Sent to CSC

01/29/09 Delivered to CSC

02/02/09 Check Cashed

02/04/09 NOA received, dated 01/29/09

02/13/09 Biometrics Appt letter Received

02/24/09 Biometrics done

04/08/09 Approval notice in mail (Dated 04/03/09)

05/21/09 Called USCIS "Where is my GC?"

06/01/09 Received 10 yr GC

N-400

03/03/10 Sent to Phoenix, AZ

03/05/10 Delivered to Phoenix, AZ

03/15/10 Check cashed

03/17/10 NOA received, dated 03/13/10

03/18/10 Online status indicates RFE was mailed

03/22/10 Biometrics Appt letter Received

04/12/10 Biometrics done

05/01/10 Email Notification from USCIS " Case transfered to a local office for a standard interview"

05/05/10 Interview letter received

06/17/10 Interview

06/28/10 Oath Ceremony. I am a U.S Citizen!!!

Timeline
Check Payment Processing

If you will make a payment by check, USCIS will convert it into an

Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT). They will make a photocopy of the check

and use the account information on it to electronically debit your account

for the amount of the check. The debit from your account will usually

occur within 24 hours, and will be shown on your regular account

statement.

As the original check will be destroyed, you will not receive it back.

However, if the EFT can't be processed for technical reasons, you

automatically authorize USCIS to process the copy in place of the original

check. If the EFT can't be completed because of insufficient funds, USCIS

may try to make the transfer up to two times.

I received both of my checks back, they have stamps on the back.

01/15/2008 - Proposed

03/15/2008 - Married

02/25/2008 - Interview

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Haiti
Timeline

Next time when you write a check to the DHS make sure you check your funds and deposit the amount of money in your checking account so you save yourself alot of time and stress.

AOS TIMELINE

AOS package mailed on 12/16/08

AOS package delivered on 12/19/08

Check cashed on 12/26/08

NOA1 received on 12/30/08

Biometrics on 01/20/09

AOS interview on 04/30/09

EAD Card production ordered on 03/17/09

EAD Card received on 03/21/09

AOS interview APPROVED on 04/30/09

Card production ordered on 05/27/09

Welcome letter received on 06/05/09

Card production ordered again on 06/15/09

Permanent Resident Card received on 07/09/09

I-751 ROC TIMELINE

I-751 package mailed on 02/28/2011

I-751 package delivered on 03/02/2011

Check payment cashed on 03/04/2011

NOA1 received on 03/08/2011

Biometrics appointment on 04/05/2011

Card production ordered on 05/06/2011

I-751 Petition Approved on 05/06/2011

Approval letter received on 05/12/2011

Green Card finally received on 07/29/2011

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.