spookyturtle

Windows 7

40 posts in this topic

I'm going to install Windows 7 on a separate hard drive partition on my computer running XP so I can use both of them. I can play around with Win 7 and still have XP just in case things don't work out. :lol: This new operating system is looking promising, I hope Microsoft doesn't mess up and rush it out like they normally do.

They were going to cap the beta downloads at 2.5 million, but now they removed the limit and you can down load it until Jan.24. It really seems that they want to get as many people as possible to test it. If it makes a good impression, it will surely benefit them.

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
I'm going to install Windows 7 on a separate hard drive partition on my computer running XP so I can use both of them. I can play around with Win 7 and still have XP just in case things don't work out. :lol: This new operating system is looking promising, I hope Microsoft doesn't mess up and rush it out like they normally do.

They were going to cap the beta downloads at 2.5 million, but now they removed the limit and you can down load it until Jan.24. It really seems that they want to get as many people as possible to test it. If it makes a good impression, it will surely benefit them.

While I did download the instructions, didn't read them, but if the license is only good to August, not worth the effort, would take me that long just to work out the bugs only to have nothing in return. Ha, after that big spill, Bill did with Win95, couldn't even load the program from the disk, had to copy that disk to a partition and load it from there, they had ####### scattered all over that disk and would time out before it could load. Had to pay MS an additional 15 bucks to get a working disk, and that was after I provided twice the proof that I owned it, least the license that the USCIS would ask.

Still hate Vista, should be a window when loading it, is this a private or a public computer, when you load a program, no telling where the parameters will end up. Step son asked me to get rid of all his personal stuff, did that by pulling his HD and using that in a working computer. Got rid of all the Public stuff, except Public, won't let you do that, but it all came back when I rebooted. And storing music, documents, videos, photos on the root drive, is stupid. If a head is a fraction of a mm off, can overwrite your OS and have even more problems.

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Well I managed to fix my Vista PC last night - without having to do a complete reinstall.

Printer works again after I was able to find the remnants of the printer driver that was interfering with the print spooler. I can now print again.

Was able to get rid of the error message on startup the same way.

Only thing I couldn't fix is the Vista Photo Gallery, which for some reason still will not display pictures, but the easy workaround for that was to change the file associations to use the Apple photo viewer.

What's really crappy is how easy it is to "break" Vista. It seems incomplete/corrupted hardware installs are pretty common - and its amazing how much it can slow down your PC.

Perhaps Windows 7 will be better, but MS record on product testing doesn't give me much reason for confidence. Some people might remember also that XP was a botched release (requiring a whole slew of updates and service packs to correct compatibility issues).

Win 95 - botched

Win 98 - botched (until second edition release)

Win ME - botched (total loss)

Win 2000 - OK (a win!)

Win XP - botched (until Service Pack 3)

Win Vista - botched (hopefully service pack 2 will fix the problems)

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

You guys are making me worry about the crappy Vista out there. We just smashed our laptop yesterday (on accident of course :bonk: )

All the laptops in the stores are running Vista only. I dont really want to wait long to get another replacement. But when do you think Windows 7 would be out in new computers?

A woman is like a tea bag: she does not know how strong she is until she is in hot water.

- Nancy Reagan

You guys are making me worry about the crappy Vista out there. We just smashed our laptop yesterday (on accident of course :bonk: )

All the laptops in the stores are running Vista only. I dont really want to wait long to get another replacement. But when do you think Windows 7 would be out in new computers?

Windows 7 is supposed to be out in Jan. 2010, but there is much speculation that it could be out later this year, perhaps for the holiday season. I am ready for a new computer too, and I am debating on waiting to avoid Vista and get something that comes with Windows 7 if it pans out. As soon as I have a few hours to play around, I'm going to try Widnows 7 on my XP machine.

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

And storing music, documents, videos, photos on the root drive, is stupid. If a head is a fraction of a mm off, can overwrite your OS and have even more problems.

That can be fixed by creating another partition on your hard drive and using that to store all your documents, music, etc. Vista has a built in utility to do this.

And as far as the Win7 betaq expiring in August, there will probably be a newer version of th ebeta before then that will extend the play time closer to the actual release.

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
I installed Windows 7 on an XP machine yesterday, was easy to do and I have it set to allow for dual booting so I can still use XP if i want. So far I like what I am seeing.

what's the max memory the system recognizes?

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
I installed Windows 7 on an XP machine yesterday, was easy to do and I have it set to allow for dual booting so I can still use XP if i want. So far I like what I am seeing.

Perhaps even more important is how much RAM Win7 needs to run properly. It's good that, comparatively speaking, RAM is pretty cheap nowadays. However, if Vista is any indication, Win7 will need a crapload of memory to operate efficiently.

Filed: Timeline

I have 4gig and Windows 7 recognized it ok. It saw 2 sticks at 2GB each.

Perhaps even more important is how much RAM Win7 needs to run properly. It's good that, comparatively speaking, RAM is pretty cheap nowadays. However, if Vista is any indication, Win7 will need a crapload of memory to operate efficiently.

It uses way less than Vista. I am going to be doing some testing of that later this week. but on first look it uses less.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

It uses way less than Vista. I am going to be doing some testing of that later this week. but on first look it uses less.

That's fantastic. I have plenty of RAM to deal with either Vista or Win7; however, I know many people lack the necessary RAM requirements for either. It's good that Microsoft hasn't increased the RAM requirements (or at least, hasn't done so on a major level).

You need 2 gig for Vista.

It sounds like Windows 7 is to Vista what Windows 98 was to 95. Probably won't up the minimum memory requirement.

Well, let's hope we don't need Win7SE like we did with Win98.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Cambodia
Timeline

Hmm...

Windows 7 OEM disc will be released to guests (invited) later in 2009. I've update my beta version to 7000. They fixed a few OS services that crashes. Also, the neat thing is that it assigned seperate binary code distinguishing each core to a multicore systems. By doing this, programmers will be able to seperate processes per cpu core. True parrallel processing, sort of.

Vista doesn't allow you to set CPU affinity to a task or process. You need special software to do it, unlike Windows XP where you can right click on a process and set the CPU affinity to whatever. You can use Ashampoo CPU Tuner to set the affinity on the CPU cores with Vista.

mooninitessomeonesetusupp6.jpg