Jonathan B

So we got approved and......

18 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Scotland
Timeline

My fiance got so excited that she opened the envelope that we weren't supposed to open. I think it was supposed to be opened by a member of US immigration at the airport..... Any advice on how we can fix this?

Thanks!

NOA1: Feb. 20, 2008

NOA2: July 20, 2008

Interview Date: Dec. 18th

Approved: Jan. 9th, 2009

Arrive in USA: April 1st, 2009

Got Married: May 22nd, 2009

My fiance got so excited that she opened the envelope that we weren't supposed to open. I think it was supposed to be opened by a member of US immigration at the airport..... Any advice on how we can fix this?

Thanks!

I seem to recall reading someone did this not that long ago..and they took it back to the embassy to have it resealed.

Edited by cdneh

I can explain it to you. But I can't understand it for you.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Thanks!

I seem to recall reading someone did this not that long ago..and they took it back to the embassy to have it resealed.

Yes, if there's time, that's what you do. Otherwise, I assure you it won't be the first time a CBP officer sees an open package. You won't be sent back for it but it could cause some issues during AOS if they think anything is missing. The contents are the complete official case file.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Thanks!

Take the time to return to the Embassy/Consulate to have it resealed, unless your Fiance is travelling tomorrow. It "may" cause a problem, it "may not". Plan for success.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

I generally trust Pushbrk's comments, but I will say that I did read a post from someone who got turned away by customs at the US office, had to go back to country of origin (paying for a round trip ticket) because of an opened package. Not to make you worried, but you should try to bring it back and get a sealed one.

Good luck!

11410.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Scotland
Timeline

She was planning on coming over in March, so we should have time to get this done! Thanks for the replies!

Jonathan

NOA1: Feb. 20, 2008

NOA2: July 20, 2008

Interview Date: Dec. 18th

Approved: Jan. 9th, 2009

Arrive in USA: April 1st, 2009

Got Married: May 22nd, 2009

She was planning on coming over in March, so we should have time to get this done! Thanks for the replies!

Jonathan

Then you should definitely get it resealed. I was employed by the DOS for many years and can speak about rejected immigrants for this alone. I was not a Consular official, but had Embassy duty and received many a call at night about immigration issues at US Borders. I was always able to defer the calls to others though. :D

Seriously, I did hear the outcome of the issues and received a good overall education on immigration while overseas.

At the end of the day, this is a risk you don't need and have the time to resolve.

All the best,

William.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
I generally trust Pushbrk's comments, but I will say that I did read a post from someone who got turned away by customs at the US office, had to go back to country of origin (paying for a round trip ticket) because of an opened package. Not to make you worried, but you should try to bring it back and get a sealed one.

Good luck!

Well, that would be news to me but that's why we have "news". What I'm saying is when there isn't time, to get the package resealed, there's no reason to cancel travel plans based on the small risk you'll get turned around. If there IS time, even if inconvenient, I'd get back to the Consulate and get it resealed.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

hmmmm

couldn't resist the temptation of the "envelope"

The lawyer I consulted with prior to this said the very first thing not to do was "open that package..."

Get it re-sealed - you have time!

this time, distract her with other "shiny" envelopes :rofl:

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nicaragua
Timeline

Thanks!

My fiancee opened it also and at the airport in managua she was refused a seat on her flight.she had it resealed in managua. Yes get it resealed.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Thanks!

My fiancee opened it also and at the airport in managua she was refused a seat on her flight.she had it resealed in managua. Yes get it resealed.

Hi there, what envelope are we all talkign about? the XRAY one?

Good luck!

Well, that would be news to me but that's why we have "news". What I'm saying is when there isn't time, to get the package resealed, there's no reason to cancel travel plans based on the small risk you'll get turned around. If there IS time, even if inconvenient, I'd get back to the Consulate and get it resealed.

Hmm I wouldnt call it a small risk of being turned back - I am pretty sure when it happened on the two occassions mentioned they found it hugely inconvenient not to mention costly. It would seem it is better to get it resealed before embarking on the journey to the US even if it means changing travel plans.

For those querying which envelope - as I recall I received the Do Not Open envelope when my passport (stamped with visa) was delivered by courier - I was given my xrays back at the time of the interview.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.