one...two...tree

Terrorist-Sympathizers UN Claims No Hamas Fighters in Bombed School:

99 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

(It's time the U.S. declare the UN part of the axis of evil and bomb them to kingdom come...where's John Bolton when you need him?)

gaza_school_0106.jpg

Palestinians at a school building in a refugee camp in Gaza (...more like terrorists disguised as peasants)

United Nations investigators say they have uncovered no evidence to support a claim by the Israeli military that Hamas fighters were holed up in a Gaza school, prompting a deadly attack by Israeli forces that killed 40 civilians, many of them children.

The Israel Defense Forces Spokesman's Office asserted that militants fired mortars from inside the school at troops involved in Israel's controversial incursion into the Gaza Strip in pursuit of Hamas fighters — a military operation that is drawing fierce international condemnation as civilian casualties mount. "The IDF returned fire," according to the spokesman's office. (See pictures of Israeli soldiers sweeping into Gaza.)

But after a preliminary investigation of the Jan. 6 attack at the Fakhura girl's elementary school, "we're 99.9% sure that no militants were at the school," says Chris Gunness, a spokesman for the United Nations Relief and Works Agency (UNRWA). The agency questioned survivors, including UNRWA staff that run the school under U.N. auspices.

Before the school was hit by Israeli bombs, some 400 Palestinians fleeing shelling of the Jabalya refugee camp had taken shelter inside Fakhura, hoping that the U.N. flag would shield them from harm, according to survivors. Earlier, the U.N., which oversees relief efforts for more than 800,000 Palestinians in Gaza, had passed along the coordinates of all its schools and buildings to the Israeli military so that its humanitarian missions would be spared attack.

Some reports say that Israel struck the school with artillery shells, while others say with mortars. Thirty Palestinians were killed outright from the incoming fire, and 10 others died last night in Gaza's overburdened and badly provisioned hospitals, according to the U.N. More than 55 were injured. Israeli bombs also hit a second school on Tuesday, say Gaza residents, killing three civilians.

Some Jabalya refugees at the school said they saw a small group of militants firing mortars near the school and running away, the Associated Press reported. A Gaza resident contacted by TIME said there is a citrus grove not far from the school. "Most likely, the militants fired from there," said the resident, who requested anonymity.

But Israeli military officials insist that the mortars were fired from within the crowded schoolyard and that Hamas is using civilians as human shields. The IDF gave the names of two Hamas combatants it says were killed inside the school — Imad and Hassan Abu Askar — who allegedly fired the mortars. But the IDF did not explain how it was able to identify them among the many casualties. Troops did not visit the school after the attack, nor did the IDF have access to a casualty list from Gaza's hospitals. (See pictures of Israel's deadly assault on Gaza.)

The school deaths intensified urgent international calls for a cease-fire. Israeli diplomats said Israel was taking "very, very seriously" a cease-fire proposal from Egypt and France that is backed by the U.S. Several senior Hamas officials in Cairo were briefed on the proposal and said they were debating it.

The Egyptians are suggesting that both sides agree to an immediate truce, then work out long-term details on lifting the Israeli blockade of Gaza. However, one member of the Hamas politburo in Damascus complained to TIME that the proposal does not call for the immediate withdrawal of Israeli troops from Gaza. "Without that, it's a joke," he said.

On Tuesday, as the Israeli military tightened its hold on Gaza's towns and refugee camps, civilian casualties mounted sharply, with 77 killed, taking the total death toll to 631 since the operation began 12 days ago. Israel says it will not halt its ground offensive until Hamas stops firing rockets into Israel. Hamas launched 30 rockets on Tuesday, striking towns near Gaza but causing no casualties.

Meanwhile, Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert said he would allow the opening of a "humanitarian corridor" to bring supplies to the besieged 1.5 million Gazans trapped by the conflict and called for all fighting to be suspended for three hours on a daily basis to allow residents to stock up on necessities. "While we welcome the humanitarian corridor," says Gunness, the UNRWA spokesman, "this cannot compromise the need for an immediate cease-fire."

With reporting by Jamil Hamad / Bethlehem

http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1870087,00.html

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
Because we all know how unbiased the UN is when it comes to Israel :rolleyes:

:thumbs:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Timeline
Because we all know how unbiased the UN is when it comes to Israel :rolleyes:

Exactly...right down to the school janitor. They're all in cahoots with one another...like the Borg.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Israel
Timeline

Hamas sucks... its so simple

Emmett Fitz-Hume: I'm sorry I'm late, I had to attend the reading of a will. I had to stay till the very end, and I found out I received nothing... broke my arm.

Timeline
Why would the janitor say that there were Hamas in the building? :rolleyes:

Exactly. He doesn't care if the building gets bombed and all the school children die. He'll just collect disability now.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

The UN is a f#cking joke.

They "condemn" Israel, but towards Sudan (where millions have been killed), they express "deep concern".

China and Pakistan are on the Human Rights Council, but the US isn't?

Die already, UN.

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

Timeline
The UN is a f#cking joke.

They "condemn" Israel, but towards Sudan (where millions have been killed), they express "deep concern".

China and Pakistan are on the Human Rights Council, but the US isn't?

Die already, UN.

I say we bomb them...and Time magazine for aiding and abetting their agenda.

Timeline

We evict them - from one very expensive building in New York City.

...and where's the grammar police when you need them? :jest:

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Which reminds me... how much was it in dues we owed?

Geez Luís people... lets just declare them Far Leftist Islamic Terrorists and ask IDF to shell anything with a UN Flag.

Wishing you ten-fold that which you wish upon all others.

Timeline

Which reminds me... how much was it in dues we owed?

Geez Luís people... lets just declare them Far Leftist Islamic Terrorists and ask IDF to shell anything with a UN Flag.

HAL, why do you hate Israel so much?

Edited by Mister Fancypants