Amby

teen trained as suicide bomber feels tricked

15 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

KABUL, Afghanistan (CNN) -- A 14-year-old who was trained to kill by radicals in the tribal regions of Pakistan now sits in a crowded classroom at a detention facility in Kabul. His only wish is to see his parents again.

"I miss my parents, my mom and dad," Shakirullah says in soft tones. Like others in tribal regions, he goes by one name.

Shakirullah is already a convicted terrorist for planning to carry out a suicide bombing. He says Muslim radicals lied and tricked him into becoming a would-be bomber. "I have been detained for trying to commit a suicide attack," he says.

He says his recruiters told him it was his mission as a Muslim to kill British and American soldiers because they were killing Muslims.

They told him that once he blew himself up he wouldn't die because God would save him for being a true Muslim.

Asked what he now thinks of Americans and Westerners, Shakirullah is calm, but quick in his response.

"I don't know. God knows what type of people they are, whether they are good or bad. I don't know them," he says.

Shakirullah now passes his hours in a cell block at a juvenile detention facility in Kabul. He is serving at least five years in detention. He is to be transferred to an adult prison in a couple of years, authorities say.

He hasn't heard from his family in the North-West Frontier Province of Pakistan. He tried to send them a letter through the International Committee of the Red Cross but is not sure it reached them.

"I don't know what they are thinking. They have no news of me," he says.

On this day, Shakirullah attends a rehabilitation class, easily lost in the crowd of boys with shaved heads. All of the children are convicted for various crimes, including theft, fighting and even murder.

Three boys like Shakirullah are here, all guilty of planning to kill themselves and others after being recruited by terrorist groups.

With the increased violence in Afghanistan, international observers say they have seen more and more children being recruited by armed groups and national forces. The Taliban, which ruled Afghanistan with its strict Islamic rule from 1996 to 2001, has regrouped and launched a fierce insurgency.

"As you see in many places in the world, children are being used in armed conflict. They've been recruited as child soldiers; they've been recruited as armed groups. And the phenomena is now impacting, again, Afghanistan," says Catherine Mbengue, the UNICEF representative in Afghanistan.

Inside the detention center, Shakirullah walks up to his cell, his sandals sliding across the tile floor.

The cell block is empty and has metal bunk beds lined across the wall and a television set, ready for the times they have electricity. Shakirullah shares this space with 10 other boys. He sits in the center of the room with a blanket draped around him.

He barely makes eye contact and looks away as soon as he does. He is shy, but forthright in his words. "I didn't want to do it but he forced me to go," he says of his recruiter.

Rubbing his face with his hand, he says he now spends his time dreaming of his life back home in rural Pakistan. His eyes begin to water and his voice becomes softer when he talks about missing his mother.

Asked what he misses most about her, he says simply, "A mother is a mother."

His was a life of farming and tranquility in Pakistan, he says. It was also a life that took a drastic turn when his father decided to send Shakirullah for studies at a madrassa.

He says his dad wanted him to learn more about Islam and the Quran, something he could not do himself. He says his father didn't know radicals ran the school.

In the madrassa, Shakirullah learned to recite the Quran in Arabic, not his native language. He relied solely on the fanatical interpretations the mullahs were giving him.

"When I finished reciting the Quran, a mullah then came to me and told me, 'Now that you have finished the Quran, you need to go and commit a suicide attack.' That I should go to Afghanistan to commit a suicide attack," he says.

The teenager wasn't given the chance to say goodbye to his parents or siblings when he was driven to the Pakistan-Afghan border and handed over to strangers.

He says he was taken to the southeastern province of Khost, a hotbed for terrorist activity in Afghanistan. Suicide attacks have risen in Afghanistan since the U.S.-led invasion to topple the Taliban began in late 2001, after the 9/11 attacks on New York and the Pentagon.

Shakirullah says that before the police arrested him, he was learning how to drive a car but that he was not sure how he was supposed to carry out his attack.

Khost is the province where a suicide car bomb went off near a voter registration site this past Sunday, killing 16 people, 14 of whom were children.

At the juvenile detention facility, Shakirullah and the others are now being taught a different interpretation of Islam.

"The teachers educate them on Islam, and explain to them that the acts that they were doing is not right for them and for others," says Mir Fayaz ah-Din, who works and lives with the boys at the facility, mentoring them and helping them in their rehabilitation.

"The way you want to kill yourself and someone else -- it in itself is a big offense in Islam."

Shakirullah now says of his recruiters, "They cheated me."

http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/asiapcf/01/0...ruit/index.html

Life is a ticket to the greatest show on earth.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

ya think?

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

When I was 14 I got put in detention for breaking the lock on the classroom door and I thought I felt cheated. It just fell off! This kid as going to blow himself up along with other people and he gets the same punishment. NOT FAIR!!!

USCIS

12/03/2008...Sent I-130 form

12/04/2008...Papers reached Chicago LockBox (1Day)

12/11/2008...NOA1 (7days)

12/22/2008...NOA1 hard copy received (11 days ~ Heavy Snowfall Delayed Mail)

03/14/2009...NOA2 (92 days from NOA1)

03/24/2009...NOA2 Hard copy received (No touches or web approval)

NVC

04/06/2009...Received by NVC (23 days from NOA2)

DreAlphaBettas@aol.com

Filed: Other Country: Japan
Timeline

ya think?

I think they were trying to cleanse the gene pool.

They told him that once he blew himself up he wouldn't die because God would save him for being a true Muslim.

The kid was 14 and he believed THAT?

"Hey kid, I got a bridge and a bunch of 60 year old virgin grandmothers I wanna sell ya".

LingChe NVC Guide

Using this guide may allow you to fly through NVC in as little as 11 days.

visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/LingChe_NVC_ShortCut

--------------------

Our Visa Journey

2006-11-01: Met online through common interest in music - NOT Dating Service

2007-01-28: Met in person in Paris

2007-10-02: Married in Tokyo

2008-07-05: I-130 Sent

2008-08-13: NOA2 I-130

2008-10-02: Case Complete at NVC

2008-11-04: Interview - CR-1 Visa APPROVED

2008-12-11: POE - Chicago

2009-01-12: GC and Welcome Letter

2010-09-01: Preparing I-751 Removal of Conditions

2011-03-22: Card Production Ordered

2011-03-30 10 Year Card Received DONE FOR 10 YEARS

Standard Disclaimer (may not be valid in Iowa or Kentucky, please check your local laws): Any information given should not be considered legal advice,

and is based on personal experience or personal knowledge. Sometimes there might not be any information at all in my posts. Sometimes it might just

be humor or chit-chat, or nonsense. Deal with it. If you can read this...you're too close. Step away from the LingLing

YES WE DID!

And it appears to have made very little difference.

.png

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

Yeah - I can see him believing it. Read Three Cups of Tea - it will enlighten anyone on the education system in the territories of mountainous Pakistan. And when you live in a village where there is no imam or cleric until a madrassa with a point to prove comes in and teaches their "brand" of Islam this is what happens.

Many people don't know that an awful lot of Muslims in many places are illiterate and completely uneducated. They are spending their time just trying to survive, not pontificating on the specifics of religious teachings.

I'm currently mentoring a woman from Darfur, she was a refugee who thankfully got the heck out of dodge with the help of a charity. She's Muslim and all she knows is that she must fast at Ramadan. That's it - that's all that was taught in her village...if that's all you know and someone supposedly a scholar comes along and says, "Hey, come to our school where you'll have a bed and we'll feed you and your family will be so proud of you"...I can see a lot of families jumping on that band wagon real quick. And then have that school teaching complete BS? How would the students know different?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

When I was 14 if someone told me I would have gotten a harem of Beautiful woman I would have jumped ALL over that chance too so I guess I can't blame him.

USCIS

12/03/2008...Sent I-130 form

12/04/2008...Papers reached Chicago LockBox (1Day)

12/11/2008...NOA1 (7days)

12/22/2008...NOA1 hard copy received (11 days ~ Heavy Snowfall Delayed Mail)

03/14/2009...NOA2 (92 days from NOA1)

03/24/2009...NOA2 Hard copy received (No touches or web approval)

NVC

04/06/2009...Received by NVC (23 days from NOA2)

DreAlphaBettas@aol.com

Timeline
Yeah - I can see him believing it. Read Three Cups of Tea - it will enlighten anyone on the education system in the territories of mountainous Pakistan. And when you live in a village where there is no imam or cleric until a madrassa with a point to prove comes in and teaches their "brand" of Islam this is what happens.

Many people don't know that an awful lot of Muslims in many places are illiterate and completely uneducated. They are spending their time just trying to survive, not pontificating on the specifics of religious teachings.

I'm currently mentoring a woman from Darfur, she was a refugee who thankfully got the heck out of dodge with the help of a charity. She's Muslim and all she knows is that she must fast at Ramadan. That's it - that's all that was taught in her village...if that's all you know and someone supposedly a scholar comes along and says, "Hey, come to our school where you'll have a bed and we'll feed you and your family will be so proud of you"...I can see a lot of families jumping on that band wagon real quick. And then have that school teaching complete BS? How would the students know different?

This sheds a completely new light onto their recruitment. I always wondered how you could strap a bomb onto a person and tell them what they're doing is right.

LingChe NVC Guide

--------------------

Our Visa Journey

Standard Disclaimer (may not be valid in Iowa or Kentucky, please check your local laws): Any information given should not be considered legal advice,

and is based on personal experience or personal knowledge. Sometimes there might not be any information at all in my posts. Sometimes it might just

be humor or chit-chat, or nonsense. Deal with it. If you can read this...you're too close. Step away from the LingLing

YES WE DID!

.png

Timeline
When I was 14 if someone told me I would have gotten a harem of Beautiful woman I would have jumped ALL over that chance too so I guess I can't blame him.

who said they were beautiful? :huh:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

Timeline

Who said they were women?

I only heard that they'd be virgins.

LingChe NVC Guide

--------------------

Our Visa Journey

YES WE DID!

.png

Timeline

that could be scary, he gets 72 of these?

absolut_flamer.jpg

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

His only regret is that he was caught.

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
Senate Floor Speech on Public Debt
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG

that could be scary, he gets 72 of these?

absolut_flamer.jpg

:rofl: I always wondered who did the decorating.

"I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."- Ayn Rand

“Your freedom to be you includes my freedom to be free from you.”

― Andrew Wilkow

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

Reminds me of the book "not without my daughter" when she describes how they would steal children right out of playgrounds, dragging them into vans, to use them for detecting land mines :crying:

Saludos,

Caro

***Justin And Caro***
Happily married and enjoying our life together!