Sign in to follow this  
Terca

K-1 visa interview to happen in the USA. Is that possible?

22 posts in this topic

My sister mentioned today that her lawyer told her the interview for her fiance's k-1 visa will take place in USA. Is that possible? I thought interviews for all visas happened in the US consulate abroad where the beneficiary resides prior to entering the United States. Her fiance is from Mexico... :blink:

She says that her lawyer told her the interview takes place in Mexico only if she files for a cr-1 or K-3 visa :wacko: , is there any circumstance where this is possible because otherwise her lawyer is so lost and it means my sister is giving time, money and trust to someone who will do more damage than good.

wuha.jpgdU2lm5.png

N400 Mailed: 12/09/2016

Priority Date: 12/13/2016

Biometrics Appmt: 01/13/17

Filed: Country: Germany
Timeline

Hmmm, I've never heard of it, but there may be someone more knowledgeable to answer. It is my understanding that the interview takes place in the beneficiary's country of residence. If it took place in the US....well then they'd already have a visa to be here wouldn't they?

Done with USCIS until 12/28/2020!

penguinpasscanada.jpg

"What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty and democracy?" ~Gandhi

exactly!!! that's what i told her, i dont know about any special laws so i was very confused when she told me this today. How can a person get a visa to enter the country to get interviewed for the visa he already was issued?

I am pressing the issue with her until she gets clear answers from her lawyer on my behalf, I told her she didn't need a lawyer is not like they have any special issues...

Thank you both for your answers at this time of day lol

wuha.jpgdU2lm5.png

N400 Mailed: 12/09/2016

Priority Date: 12/13/2016

Biometrics Appmt: 01/13/17

Filed: Country: Germany
Timeline

I'm with Marmite :) If you can read and fill out forms and have no special situations, why use a lawyer? That's clearly just my humble opinion, but it's like paying for the visa forms when you can get them for free at the uscis website!

Good luck!

Done with USCIS until 12/28/2020!

penguinpasscanada.jpg

"What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty and democracy?" ~Gandhi

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
My sister mentioned today that her lawyer told her the interview for her fiance's k-1 visa will take place in USA. Is that possible? I thought interviews for all visas happened in the US consulate abroad where the beneficiary resides prior to entering the United States. Her fiance is from Mexico... :blink:

She says that her lawyer told her the interview takes place in Mexico only if she files for a cr-1 or K-3 visa :wacko: , is there any circumstance where this is possible because otherwise her lawyer is so lost and it means my sister is giving time, money and trust to someone who will do more damage than good.

If you are inside the USA you no longer need a visa

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

it is my understanding that the interview will take place in the country where the visa is applied for. you cannot apply for a K-1 with the us embassy in the us, it must be in the country your fiance is from. So even if he/she did somehow manage to be in the US (tourist, student, business visa), he/she would have to return to their country for the process to be done.

Maybe the attorney was confused and was thinking of marriage here and applying for adjustment of status which would take place in the US.

Best advise, ditch the attorney and do it yourself unless there are some problems/issues that may impede the process.

Timeline
.... you cannot apply for a K-1 with the us embassy in the us....

Correct, because there is no such thing as a US Embassy/Consulate "inside" the USA

YMMV

I have a friend who married a guy from Guatemala about 4 years ago. He was here illegally. He got in some trouble and the US asked him to leave or face deportation. He chose to leave on his own. My friend filed an I-130 and has since been approved . Their interview was here in the US and she attended with their son. Her husband did not attend as he is in Guatemala. I never heard of this either. But she is living proof.

My attorney told me that our interview will be in Costa Rica.

Married March 9, 2013
NOA1 I-130 April 12, 2013

Transferred to TSC Nov 27, 2013
APPROVED March 18, 2014 FINALLY ! ! ! !! 11 MONTHS & 6 LONG DAYS FOR MY NOA2
Case shipped from TSC to NVC March 21, 2014
Rec'd NOA2 hard copy March 22, 2014
Case rec'd & Case Number assigned April 1, 2014
AMAZING !!!
PAID IV and AOS fees online April 5, 2014
Fees show paid/DS 260 avail. /DS260 submitted/AOS&IV pkg sent April 9, 2014
FEDEX delivered @ NVC April 11, 2014
Revised AOS pkg delivered April 15, 2014
AOS & IV rec'd& scanned in @ NVC April 15, 2014
Revised AOS scanned April 18, 2014
AOS checklist for income and IV pkg April 30, 2014 (checklist expected due to Lawyers mistakes)
DS260 accepted April 30, 2014
Checklist for Birth cert/police cert May 1, 2014
AOS accepted May 5, 2014

Birth cert scanned MAY 8, 2014

CASE COMPLETE JUNE 4, 2014 CC letter received via email June 11, 2014

INTERVIEW JULY 15, 2014

Waiver finally FedEx'd to Phoenix Lockbox August 21, 2014

WAIVER APPROVED December 17, 2014

Received Instruction Letter via email December 23, 2014

Final Embassy Appointment January 5, 2015 YAY !

Visa ISSUED January 12, 2015

event.png

event.png

I have a friend who married a guy from Guatemala about 4 years ago. He was here illegally. He got in some trouble and the US asked him to leave or face deportation. He chose to leave on his own. My friend filed an I-130 and has since been approved . Their interview was here in the US and she attended with their son. Her husband did not attend as he is in Guatemala. I never heard of this either. But she is living proof. I-130 is not a K1 though

yes I know.... but he is still trying to get a visa to come to the US. I applied for a K-3 and a CR-1. I was told the interview would be in the beneficiaries country. I thought it was so strange that her interview was here. AND I was also surprised to hear that he got approved after all the trouble he got into while he was here illegally. My attorney was sure he wouldn't be admitted because of the charges he had. BUT the government doesn't seem to care. I thought they looked down on people who had a police record.

Married March 9, 2013
NOA1 I-130 April 12, 2013

Transferred to TSC Nov 27, 2013
APPROVED March 18, 2014 FINALLY ! ! ! !! 11 MONTHS & 6 LONG DAYS FOR MY NOA2
Case shipped from TSC to NVC March 21, 2014
Rec'd NOA2 hard copy March 22, 2014
Case rec'd & Case Number assigned April 1, 2014
AMAZING !!!
PAID IV and AOS fees online April 5, 2014
Fees show paid/DS 260 avail. /DS260 submitted/AOS&IV pkg sent April 9, 2014
FEDEX delivered @ NVC April 11, 2014
Revised AOS pkg delivered April 15, 2014
AOS & IV rec'd& scanned in @ NVC April 15, 2014
Revised AOS scanned April 18, 2014
AOS checklist for income and IV pkg April 30, 2014 (checklist expected due to Lawyers mistakes)
DS260 accepted April 30, 2014
Checklist for Birth cert/police cert May 1, 2014
AOS accepted May 5, 2014

Birth cert scanned MAY 8, 2014

CASE COMPLETE JUNE 4, 2014 CC letter received via email June 11, 2014

INTERVIEW JULY 15, 2014

Waiver finally FedEx'd to Phoenix Lockbox August 21, 2014

WAIVER APPROVED December 17, 2014

Received Instruction Letter via email December 23, 2014

Final Embassy Appointment January 5, 2015 YAY !

Visa ISSUED January 12, 2015

event.png

event.png

Timeline
I have a friend who married a guy from Guatemala about 4 years ago. He was here illegally. He got in some trouble and the US asked him to leave or face deportation. He chose to leave on his own. My friend filed an I-130 and has since been approved . Their interview was here in the US and she attended with their son. Her husband did not attend as he is in Guatemala. I never heard of this either. But she is living proof.

Far from living proof!!! In this above situation the alien went directly to legal permanent resident (LPR or greencard status)... as a result they bypassed a family based visa in the foreign country.... It is important to understand the situational differences....

YMMV

Timeline
yes I know.... but he is still trying to get a visa to come to the US. I applied for a K-3 and a CR-1. I was told the interview would be in the beneficiaries country. I thought it was so strange that her interview was here. AND I was also surprised to hear that he got approved after all the trouble he got into while he was here illegally. My attorney was sure he wouldn't be admitted because of the charges he had. BUT the government doesn't seem to care. I thought they looked down on people who had a police record.

You did not apply for a K-3 or a CR-1 as these are visas. A USC does not apply for a visa, but petitions for a family member to determine eligibility for the alien to apply for a visa at a foreign consulate post

YMMV

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.