Setheran

I-693 and Civil Surgeon troubles

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi, I'm Tom, I'm from the UK, and earlier this month I married my fiancee here in the US. We're at the stage where we're getting everything ready to file for adjustment of status, but clear and up to date instructions seem scarce for this stage of the whole immigration process.

Today we tried to visit a civil surgeon and get the I-693A supplement filled out. He wasn't available, but we spoke with his nurse and she pointed out that our instructions for the I-485 were out of date and tried to convince us that I needed to pay $320 for another medical exam if we didn't want to get our application rejected. She said the supplement form alone wasn't enough, and that according to some change in the rules I have to have the whole I-693 filled out.

What we've been reading, though, is that all I needed was for the civil surgeon to transcribe my immunization records from the medical exam I took in order to get my visa to the I-693A supplement form. Can anyone help us understand what exactly we do and don't need? We've been searching around for information, but since the I-485 instructions on the USCIS site are a couple of months past the expiry date in the corner, we're feeling pretty lost.

We let the nurse make me an appointment for the medical exam on Friday just in case, so we have a couple of days to figure out whether we should cancel that or if we actually need to go through with it.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

mbc from K-1 Fiance(e) Visa Process & Procedures General Discussion to AOS forum.

reason: deals with aos!

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Hi, I'm Tom, I'm from the UK, and earlier this month I married my fiancee here in the US. We're at the stage where we're getting everything ready to file for adjustment of status, but clear and up to date instructions seem scarce for this stage of the whole immigration process.

Today we tried to visit a civil surgeon and get the I-693A supplement filled out. He wasn't available, but we spoke with his nurse and she pointed out that our instructions for the I-485 were out of date and tried to convince us that I needed to pay $320 for another medical exam if we didn't want to get our application rejected. She said the supplement form alone wasn't enough, and that according to some change in the rules I have to have the whole I-693 filled out.

What we've been reading, though, is that all I needed was for the civil surgeon to transcribe my immunization records from the medical exam I took in order to get my visa to the I-693A supplement form. Can anyone help us understand what exactly we do and don't need? We've been searching around for information, but since the I-485 instructions on the USCIS site are a couple of months past the expiry date in the corner, we're feeling pretty lost.

We let the nurse make me an appointment for the medical exam on Friday just in case, so we have a couple of days to figure out whether we should cancel that or if we actually need to go through with it.

Had exactly the same problem. Rang round the local Civil Surgeons and asked them about it. 5 out of 6 wanted me to go through the entire medical and would charge me accordingly. The last one (ironically) said "Oh, that comes under the new directions. You bring us the vaccination form that your original CS gave you and we will transcribe it onto the I-693". Apparently, all you need is pages 1, 3 and 5 completed. EDIT: IT must be sealed in an envelope with the surgeon's signature across the seal, or USCIS will reject it.

The I-693A Vacc Supplement form has now been removed, as it's obsolete.

Finally, one thing you will need done while you are here: The TST (TB skin test), that is not done in the UK. This is a mandatory requirement for the US. Most of the vaccinations are age specific and if you are outside the age range you will be covered under the blanket waiver.

Edited by Brit Abroad

ROC

AR11 filed: 02/05/11

I-751 filed at Vermont Service Center: 02/07/11

NOA: 02/14/11

Biometrics appt: 03/21/11

RoC Interview: Not required

RoC Approved: 08/04/2011

10 yr Green card received: 08/10/2011

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Had exactly the same problem. Rang round the local Civil Surgeons and asked them about it. 5 out of 6 wanted me to go through the entire medical and would charge me accordingly. The last one (ironically) said "Oh, that comes under the new directions. You bring us the vaccination form that your original CS gave you and we will transcribe it onto the I-693". Apparently, all you need is pages 1, 3 and 5 completed. EDIT: IT must be sealed in an envelope with the surgeon's signature across the seal, or USCIS will reject it.

The I-693A Vacc Supplement form has now been removed, as it's obsolete.

Finally, one thing you will need done while you are here: The TST (TB skin test), that is not done in the UK. This is a mandatory requirement for the US. Most of the vaccinations are age specific and if you are outside the age range you will be covered under the blanket waiver.

My CS stated that I needed the medical exam completely redone. At that point I pulled out the instructions in the I-485 in which I had highlighted the part that specifies what a K-1 visa holder needs if he/she had their international medical examination performed within the previous 12 months from the date of the exam. She still wanted to do blood work, but I refused while sitting on the examination table (it was awkward!). She still wanted to do a full physical, but again, I refused and reiterated what the instructions state. She finally agreed. It wasn't as hostile as it sounds. I just kept to the point - I didn't want a full medical done.

She charged me $50 to have the vaccinations transcribed and the Tb test results noted (I had the test done at a county medical clinic for $14 as per the CS' directive). She also told me that in the case of my medical papers being rejected for incompleteness, that I have a $50 credit at her clinic.

Another clinic I had phoned in the area wanted to charge me $75 for the transcription and another 100 for the Tb test... ####### america? Where are the regulations?

Good luck!!

--------------------

K-1

03-25-2008 - Filed I-129f

03-28-2008 - NOA1

07-31-2008 - NOA2 (no touches)

09-30-2008 - Packet 3 sent

10-10-2008 - Packet 4 received

10-29-2008 - Interview in Vancouver

AOS

12-16-2008 - I - 485 Package arrived in Chicago (signed by V. Bustamonte)

12-19-2008 - Check Cashed

12-19-2008 - NOA1 Date

01-07-2008 - Biometrics Appointment

03-06-2009 - EAD Card Received

03-13-2009 - AP Received

04-27-2009 - Welcome Letter Received

05-02-2009 - GC Received

She is partially correct. Yes, you DO have to get the I-693 filled out. But you do NOT need whole form filled out and you do NOT need to do another medical exam. You need to fill out part I, and the CS only needs to fill out the vaccination section (part 2.5) and sign part 5. That's all.

The I-693A doesn't exits as of May 2008. In May, that form was discontinued. Now, everybody needs to fill out the I-693. If your overseas exam is less than 1 year old, the CS just needs to fill out the vaccination section and sign. If your overseas exam is more than 1 year old, then you must do a full exam, and the whole form needs to get filled out.

The instructions are quite clear about what needs to be done. They are not outdated. I'm not sure why people have trouble understanding them. The CS's try to convince people to do a full exam because they made $250-400 on it cash. That's tax-free income that doesn't get reported to the IRS. They are white collar crooks!

Page 4, item #8 (Finacees): http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-485instr.pdf

Page 4, Section III, item #2: http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/I-693instr.pdf

C. You received a medical examination prior to admission, then-

[a]. You are not required to have another medical examination as long as your Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, is filed within one year of your overseas medical examination

. You will, however, be required to complete Part 1, Information about you, and submit the vaccination section of Part 2 with your adjustment of status application. A designated civil surgeon must complete the vaccination section and Part 5, the Civil Surgeon's Certification.

Edited by Eric-Pris

I kept calling around until I found someone reasonable. That is a rip trying to charge for another physical but our friendly neighborhood government have given civil surgeons the license to steal :angry:

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

That is a rip trying to charge for another physical but our friendly neighborhood government have given civil surgeons the license to steal :angry:

That's EXACTLY the problem. The USCIS has given these white collar criminals a license to steal, cheat, and rob unknowing (and even us knowing) people just trying to get through this aweful process. Reporting these crooks does nothing, it's a complete waste of our time. And what's more is that these guys won't accept insurance nor credit cards. They want cash, so they can evade paying taxes on it.

Edited by Eric-Pris

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi, I'm Sara, Tom's wife (stealing his account for the moment). Thanks for your quick replies, it helped us out a bit, but we're still having difficulty convincing civil surgeons that they don't need to do a full medical exam.

We spoke to three more civil surgeons today, and spent about half an hour arguing with one about filling out the I-693, and still got nowhere. All of them insist on their years of experience and recent update in July 2008 that Tom is required to have another exam and blood work (for HIV and other stuff I can't remember) and even a urine test. One of them even said his vaccinations were not sufficient and he needs a shot for hepatitis B, flu shot, and MMR. They've insisted that any previous blood work or exam he's had is "expired" and won't be accepted anymore.

Even though I had a physical copy of the instructions and pointed out and showed them the exception that the K-1 visa has, they just waved it aside and said that Immigration will reject him and we will just be back. Better to "save money" now and do the full exam, rather than come back for what's missing. When I said that we just want the immunization section filled out, they flat out refuse to do it (one of them even hung up on me).

None of them said a thing about a TB skin test, is that actually necessary? Should it be done by a civil surgeon or can we get it done elsewhere and have the civil surgeon note the results?

Tom's I-94 expires on January 10th, so we're running out of time to find options, especially with the New Year's holidays getting in the way (assuming he has to successfully apply for AOS before then). Has anyone filed recently and run into these kinds of problems too? Any further help/advice would be appreciated!

Hi,

I also had trouble finding a CS in our area who wouldn't rip me off. I had my DS-3025 transcribed into I-693 by Dr. Arnold without the TST. I am anticipating for an RFE but so far none has arrived yet. I know it was a gamble submitting the AOS Package without TST. I had it done at a Mobile Health Clinic for $14 after the submission.

I am just praying the adjudicator won't notice it.

N-400

March 21, 2014 - Application sent thru Expressmail

March 25, 2014 - Received/Priority Date

March 26, 2014 - Check cashed

March 27, 2014 - Notice Date

April 2, 2014 - Notice for Biometrics Appointment thru email

Aprill 22, 2014 - Biometrics

April 24, 2014 - In line for interview

August 25, 2014-Scheduled for Interview

September 30, 2014 - Interview and Oath-Taking :joy:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Quit trying to deal with crooked or unknowledgeable civil surgeons. Use Dr. Arnold. See posts #5 and #9 in this thread:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...p;#entry2384919

Be sure to CALL their office first, because vaccination requirements differ. REPEAT your phone number CLEARLY into their voicemail.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Tom's I-94 expires on January 10th, so we're running out of time to find options, especially with the New Year's holidays getting in the way (assuming he has to successfully apply for AOS before then). Has anyone filed recently and run into these kinds of problems too? Any further help/advice would be appreciated!

You DON'T have to apply before the I-94 expires. Any "overstay" (time past I-94 expiration) will be forgiven upon approval of AOS. There's really no definitve time limit for applying. People have waited as much as a couple of years before filing due to financial problems, and had few or no problems.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.