• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
Cultures "condone" crime?

Does that smell fishy to anyone else.

I would say it depends on the culture. What we may view as a crime others may not. It's all relative. For clarification, I am not suggesting African Americans are culturally biased in favor of criminal actions.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

PD... are you thinking what I'm thinking?

Wishing you ten-fold that which you wish upon all others.

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I would say it depends on the culture. What we may view as a crime others may not. It's all relative. For clarification, I am not suggesting African Americans are culturally biased in favor of criminal actions.

You can't relativise a statement like that.

The implication in the original post is that blacks and Hispanics are on wanted posters because their cultures condone it. There are several things wrong with that rationale

Timeline

The implication in the original post is that blacks and Hispanics are on wanted posters because their cultures condone it. There are several things wrong with that rationale

Of course I can. You may not see the merit in doing such, but I never asked for anyone's approval. I'm simply stating that different cultures value different ideals.

Timeline

Of course I can. You may not see the merit in doing such, but I never asked for anyone's approval. I'm simply stating that different cultures value different ideals.

Which is a useless statement as far as it goes. Without some detailed insight into specific cultures how exactly do you know what you're talking about?

Precisely why I don't make relativistic statements about "culture" - because invariably they end up being reduced to silly, and quite dodgy stereotypes (as the original post - that blacks and hispanics are on wanted posters because black and hispanic culture condones it).

Timeline

Which is a useless statement as far as it goes. Without some detailed insight into specific cultures how exactly do you know what you're talking about?

Precisely why I don't make relativistic statements about "culture" - because invariably they end up being reduced to silly, and quite dodgy stereotypes (as the original post - that blacks and hispanics are on wanted posters because black and hispanic culture condones it).

That's like asking, "How does anyone on VJ know what they're talking about." If anyone here had the slightest bit of factual knowledge (beyond copying and pasting news articles or Wikipedia entries), I'd be very surprised.

Timeline

That's like asking, "How does anyone on VJ know what they're talking about." If anyone here had the slightest bit of factual knowledge (beyond copying and pasting news articles or Wikipedia entries), I'd be very surprised.

No I think PD's question is quite on the money. Beyond making crass and idiotic stereotypes based on incomplete information, the only thing an observer needs to have is the common sense to be able to identify the factors that are causative.

Specifically- what you should be arguing is not culture but attitudes.

Timeline
No I think PD's question is quite on the money. Beyond making crass and idiotic stereotypes based on incomplete information, the only thing an observer needs to have is the common sense to be able to identify the factors that are causative.

What is "common sense?" Common sense dictates we don't eat dogs in North America or Europe. In Asia, common sense says it's perfectly okay. Unless you wish to view pretty much everything through a Western lens, the best you can do is realize that life is far more complicated than we imagine.

So then why defend what was an unjustifiable statement with relativisms?

I don't believe it was any more or less "unjustifiable" than anything else posted on here.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

And your take on the ratio of reported crime the racial breakdown of prison population and the posters on the wall would be?

type2homophobia_zpsf8eddc83.jpg

"Those people who will not be governed by God

will be ruled by tyrants."

William Penn

Timeline

What is "common sense?" Common sense dictates we don't eat dogs in North America or Europe. In Asia, common sense says it's perfectly okay. Unless you wish to view pretty much everything through a Western lens, the best you can do is realize that life is far more complicated than we imagine.

I don't believe it was any more or less "unjustifiable" than anything else posted on here.

Lets stay on the topic of people without slippery arguments.

But on the topics of dogs, sure- why not?

And your take on the ratio of reported crime the racial breakdown of prison population and the posters on the wall would be?

The whole shebang of reality versus the stupid argument that culture and thereby race, is to blame.

Timeline

Eating dogs is a regional custom. It has nothing to do with common-sense.

Can you justify it?

Timeline

Lets stay on the topic of people without slippery arguments.

But on the topics of dogs, sure- why not?

I see you've chosen to avoid my argument over relativism. ;)