Gigli2008

Orgasms during Childbirth?

28 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline

First thing next month (Friday January 2) will be the primetime debut of a film that has been making the “under the radar” rounds of women and film festivals since May. ABC’s 20/20 will air the documentary “Orgasmic Birth”, by Debra Pascali-Bonaro, a childbirth educator and a doula, which asks the question: What would happen if women were taught to enjoy birth rather than endure it?

Some women will see this film as a declaration of emancipation from the medicalization of childbirth. Others will see it as yet one more way to raise expectations and make new mothers feel inadequate if they do not experience the “ideal” birth.

The message of the film is “that women can journey through labor and birth in all different ways. And there are a lot more options out there, to make this a positive and pleasurable experience,” Pascali-Bonaro tells ABC. “I hope women watching and men watching don’t feel that what we’re saying is every woman should have an orgasmic birth.”

But the title certainly catches attention, referring to what Pascali-Bonaro calls “the best kept secret” of child birth – that some women report having an orgasm as the baby exits the birth canal.

Tamra Larter experienced that while Pascali-Bonaro’s cameras were rolling. She and her husband, Simon, opted to have their second child in their suburban New Jersey home, and through most of the hours of labor the couple was kissing and caressing.

“The phyical touch and nurturing was just really comforting to me,” Larter told ABC. Of the orgasmic birth that resulted she said: “It was happening, and I could hardly breathe, and it was like, ‘oh, that feels good.’ That’s all I could say really.”

Christine Northrup, an OB-GYN and author of “Women’s Bodies, Women’s Wisdom” explains in the film that orgasms during labor are the results of chemistry and anatomy: “When the baby’s coming down the birth canal, remember, it’s going through the exact same positions as something going in, the ####### going into the #######, to cause an orgasm. And labor itself is associated with a huge hormonal change in the body, way more prolactin, way more oxytocin, way more beta-endorphins — these are the molecules of ecstasy.”

And on that note I open up the comments for your thoughts …

http://parenting.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/12...-childbirth/?hp

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Well, I've never been through childbirth, but I really doubt that I'm going to be worried about having an orgasm.

Just like an orgasm probably wouldn't give me any comfort if I were getting my arm sawed off either. :wacko:

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline
Well, I've never been through childbirth, but I really doubt that I'm going to be worried about having an orgasm.

Just like an orgasm probably wouldn't give me any comfort if I were getting my arm sawed off either. :wacko:

I have gone through 2 child births. Obviously the author of the story (a woman) has not. To me it wasn't the last few minutes leading to birth that was painful and difficult, it was the 7 + hours of labor and contractions.

Filed: Country: Pitcairn Islands
Timeline

I'd say it's unlikely that most women would have an orgasm during childbirth. Not that it is impossible, but very unlikely.

I don't get how you can compare a normal 6in ####### the size of a good polish sausage to a 7.5lb 20inch full-of-bones fetus. Maybe they are into extreme fisting or something.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

I've read about it a couple times, it does happen rarely. Didn't happen to me though :P

AOS

8-4-2006 Date of NOA's

1-4-2007 Green Card in mail

Removal of conditions

9-29-2008 I-751 delivered to CSC

12-29-2008 Green Card ordered :)

Citizenship

10-15-2011 Package sent to NSC

10-17-2011 NOA Priority Date

11-25-2011 Biometrics done

11-29-2011 In line for interview scheduling... woohoo!

12-20-2011 Interview scheduled ...received letter 3 days later

01-24-2012 Interview & Oath

Done!

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

I thought an orgasm actually takes places in the brain? Although there may be external stimuli that can contribute to reaching orgasm, if one is not in the right mind for it, then it doesn't happen. And I hate to use an extreme example, but nobody would suggest that rape victims experience orgasm when they are assaulted...or even if there are external stimuli, that doesn't make the experience any less horrible for the victim.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline
I thought an orgasm actually takes places in the brain? Although there may be external stimuli that can contribute to reaching orgasm, if one is not in the right mind for it, then it doesn't happen. And I hate to use an extreme example, but nobody would suggest that rape victims experience orgasm when they are assaulted...or even if there are external stimuli, that doesn't make the experience any less horrible for the victim.

The article says they were kissing and caressing throughout labor, which I suppose must have contributed to the successful orgasm during delivery.

It does sound weird, but if it works and people can do it, why not?

Filed: Timeline

The article says they were kissing and caressing throughout labor, which I suppose must have contributed to the successful orgasm during delivery.

It does sound weird, but if it works and people can do it, why not?

I read something about this a long time ago. Stimulation helps increase your pain tolerance.

Life is a ticket to the greatest show on earth.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

that's wrong and perverted!

* K1 Timeline *
* 04/07/06: I-129F Sent to NSC
* 10/02/06: Interview date - APPROVED!
* 10/10/06: POE Houston
* 11/25/06: Wedding day!!!

* AOS/EAD/AP Timeline *
*01/05/07: AOS/EAD/AP sent
*02/19/08: AOS approved
*02/27/08: Permanent Resident Card received

* LOC Timeline *
*12/31/09: Applied Lifting of Condition
*01/04/10: NOA
*02/12/10: Biometrics
*03/03/10: LOC approved
*03/11/10: 10 years green card received

* Naturalization Timeline *
*12/17/10: package sent
*12/29/10: NOA date
*01/19/11: biometrics
*04/12/11: interview
*04/15/11: approval letter
*05/13/11: Oath Ceremony - Officially done with Immigration.

Complete Timeline

I agree. Orgasming during childbirth seems creepy to me. That's something that happens during intimate moments with your husband, NOT something your newborn should be involved with ;)

Timeline

AOS

Mailed AOS, EAD and AP Sept 11 '07

Recieved NOA1's for all Sept 23 or 24 '07

Bio appt. Oct. 24 '07

EAD/AP approved Nov 26 '07

Got the AP Dec. 3 '07

AOS interview Feb 7th (5 days after the 1 year anniversary of our K1 NOA1!

Stuck in FBI name checks...

Got the GC July '08

Filed: Timeline
I'd be more concerned about pooing on the table. I hear many woman do that and don't know- the nurse will discreetly clean it up.

I can confirm that it happens ALL the time...one time my mom said someone farted in her face when she went in to check her cervix :lol:

Life is a ticket to the greatest show on earth.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

i bet i won't poop since i'm constantly constipated

* K1 Timeline *
* 04/07/06: I-129F Sent to NSC
* 10/02/06: Interview date - APPROVED!
* 10/10/06: POE Houston
* 11/25/06: Wedding day!!!

* AOS/EAD/AP Timeline *
*01/05/07: AOS/EAD/AP sent
*02/19/08: AOS approved
*02/27/08: Permanent Resident Card received

* LOC Timeline *
*12/31/09: Applied Lifting of Condition
*01/04/10: NOA
*02/12/10: Biometrics
*03/03/10: LOC approved
*03/11/10: 10 years green card received

* Naturalization Timeline *
*12/17/10: package sent
*12/29/10: NOA date
*01/19/11: biometrics
*04/12/11: interview
*04/15/11: approval letter
*05/13/11: Oath Ceremony - Officially done with Immigration.

Complete Timeline