JVKn'CVO

TX to mark Non-USC Driver's licenses

52 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
in Texas if you do not have a Texas DL your car will be towed...
Towed under what circumstances? Please provide the official link to the citation for this rule.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I'd also like to know where the towed info originated. This is what I found on the TX DPS website FAQ:

"How long can I drive with an out-of-country driver license?

Generally, a person 18 to 75 years of age with a valid out-of-country driver license in their possession may drive a private, non-commercial motor vehicle in the State of Texas for up to one year from date of entry into the United States, if their home country has reciprocity with the U.S. "

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/administratio...dl_id.htm#oocdl

Filed: Other Timeline
Lawmakers challenge new rules for legal immigrants

12/9/2008 10:13 AM

By: Catie Beck

Texas lawmakers accused the Department of Public Safety of encouraging racial profiling for adopting two new guidelines for drivers license requirements.

In May and September, the Department of Public Safety adopted provisions to create a new type of drivers license for lawful Texas residents who retain some kind of immigrant status.

Now permanent resident Juan Urena, a lawful resident of the United States for seven years, will not only receive a different license than U.S. citizens, but will also have to show proof that he is legal.

Who was there?

The American Civil Liberties Union of Texas, members of the Mexican American Legislative Caucus, the Mexican American Legal Defense and Educational Fund, State Rep. Ruth McClendon and other legislators held the press conference to DPS driver's license rules for non-citizens that went into effect Oct. 1.

"Why do you have to be predisposed and look different from the rest?" Urena said.

Urena's license will not be a horizontal card, rather, like drivers below the age of 21, it will be a vertical one. Red letters will read "temporary visitor". Under Deposes new guidelines, all permanent residents in Texas will receive the same type of licenses.

"It's called institutionalized racism," Fort Worth Rep. Lon Burnam said.

A group of lawmakers said the rules will encourage racial profiling. Furthermore, they argued that DPS has no jurisdiction to implement such rules.

"DPS has no authority to be making immigration policy," San Antonio Rep. Ruth McClendon said.

San Antonio Rep. Ruth McClendon said.

DPS officials would not give an in-person interview, but told us this effort will reduce license fraud and identity theft, which has been problematic in Texas. In Dallas, 400 foreign nationals found a loophole and got licenses.

But some lawmakers want a look at the bigger picture.

"Allow the legislature to come in to 2009 and take legislative action starting from a blank slate," San Antonio Rep. Joaquin Castro said.

Lawmakers opposed to the new rules were critical of DPS. They said the agencies role in issuing driver's license is under review.

Urena said he wonders about it as well.

"You're here for a reason, you help your community, you pay your taxes," he said.

Urena said he doesn't understand why the state is toughening rules for those who have followed them in the first place.

News8 Austin

Saludos,

Caro

I've bolded the REALLY important part of this article.

Read carefully.

It says 'permanent residents'.

So if you're going to get outraged, get outraged about the fact that GREENCARD HOLDERS will receive licenses with these designations.

And when you take that point into account, it doesn't matter what a 'rogue' consulate did.

Because the PERMANENT RESIDENT, with all the rights of due process afforded of a US Citizen by the Constitution of this land, is just as "marked" as a non-immigrant or a status adjustee.

Now THAT'S an outrage.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

Generally, a person 18 to 75 years of age with a valid out-of-country driver license in their possession may drive a private, non-commercial motor vehicle in the State of Texas for up to one year from date of entry into the United States, if their home country has reciprocity with the U.S. "

yes, and I explained that to the cop who booked me, and to the sergeant at the DPS, and to the woman at the courthouse, and I'm still going to have to appear in court on the charge of 'failure to obtain a Texas license within 30 days' :blink:

be very careful, people... it doesn't matter what you know to be true; what matters is what some random person wants to think on any given day; they're the ones with all the power

no towing though... the cop let me drive away and I have been driving ever since :P

061017001as.thumb.jpg

The Very Secret Diary of Legolas Son of Weenus - by Cassandra Claire

Day One: Went to Council of Elrond. Was prettiest person there. Agreed to follow some tiny little man to Mordor to throw ring into volcano. Very important mission - gold ring so tacky.

Day Six: Far too dark in Mines of Moria to brush hair properly. Am very afraid I am developing a tangle.

Orcs so silly.

Still the prettiest.

Day 35: Boromir dead. Very messy death, most unnecessary. Did get kissed by Aragorn as he expired. Does a guy have to get shot full of arrows around here to get any action? Boromir definitely not prettier than me. Cannot understand it. Am feeling a pout coming on.

Frodo off to Mordor with Sam. Tiny little men caring about each other, rather cute really.

Am quite sure Gimli fancies me. So unfair. He is waist height, so can see advantages there, but chunky braids and big helmet most off-putting. Foresee dark times ahead, very dark times.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline
I'd also like to know where the towed info originated. This is what I found on the TX DPS website FAQ:

I did not read from any link, or newspaper that you can get your car towed if you don't have a TX license.

It originated from a experience, this is what happened:

I was in the passenger seat when my friend got pull over for a traffic ticket, the car was insuranced, he was the owner of the car, when the constable asked for his license, he showed him his foreign license and the constable asked him "Don't you have a Texas license?" then he asked me if I had a Valid Texas license, and by that time I did not . So he asked my friend, if any nobody could come and pick up the car within the 30 minutes? my friend told him "No, it will take them at least 35 o 40" then the constable said "Well I will have to have your car tow then, I cant let you go driving without a valid Texas license" in less that 10 min the towing truck was there, so I thought well is going to be take to the police impound, but I was wrong is was taking to impound in the corner of the street. I knew they had the right to tow cars if you didn't have insurance but I did not know anything about towing cars because not having a Texas license.

The constable did not ask my friend for any proof of him being visitor or that he was adjusting status. All he wanted to see was the TX license.

Was this the case the Texas and Mexico does not have reciprocity with the U.S??? I don't know. I tried to look for what countries has the reciprocity with US but I couldn't find it.

Was this done at criteria of the constable? I don't know either.

Is it different for any county in Texas? I don't know. This happened with the Dallas Police.

It didn't matter what my friend said to him, all that matter is what the constable considered was correct, after all as "Stilltheprettiest" said "The are the ones with all the power!!!"

10/06 - Met online.

01/03/07 - Met in Person and started dating.

12/11/07 - Got Engaged.

01/05/08 - Got Married!!!

06/24/08 - Applied for I-130, I-485 and I765.

06/30/08 - Notice of Action

07/19/08 - Biometrics Appointment

08/26/08 - Received EAD card

12/29/08 - Letter interview date received in mail

02/23/09 - Interview date!!!----- APPROVED!!!

03/06/09 - Welcome letter in the mail.

03/13/09 - Green Card received in the mail!!

Removing Conditions

01/25/11 - Applied for I-751.

01/27/11 - I-797C, N.O.A issued

01/31/11 - Check cashed

02/04/11 - Received N.O.A

03/14/11 - Biometric appointment issued

03/19/11 - Biometric letter received in the mail

03/28/11 - Biometric appointment date.

06/24/11-Approval of ROC

06/27/11-Approval letter received

07/01/11- Green Card Received

B9gLm5.png.png.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
[...]get outraged about the fact that GREENCARD HOLDERS will receive licenses with these designations.

And when you take that point into account, it doesn't matter what a 'rogue' consulate did.

Because the PERMANENT RESIDENT, with all the rights of due process afforded of a US Citizen by the Constitution of this land, is just as "marked" as a non-immigrant or a status adjustee.

Now THAT'S an outrage.

100% si, man... and the anti-ALL-immigration tide is almost too strong to stem.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

never mind; I'll be off out in a couple of years; catch me staying any longer than I have to :P

061017001as.thumb.jpg

The Very Secret Diary of Legolas Son of Weenus - by Cassandra Claire

Day One: Went to Council of Elrond. Was prettiest person there. Agreed to follow some tiny little man to Mordor to throw ring into volcano. Very important mission - gold ring so tacky.

Day Six: Far too dark in Mines of Moria to brush hair properly. Am very afraid I am developing a tangle.

Orcs so silly.

Still the prettiest.

Day 35: Boromir dead. Very messy death, most unnecessary. Did get kissed by Aragorn as he expired. Does a guy have to get shot full of arrows around here to get any action? Boromir definitely not prettier than me. Cannot understand it. Am feeling a pout coming on.

Frodo off to Mordor with Sam. Tiny little men caring about each other, rather cute really.

Am quite sure Gimli fancies me. So unfair. He is waist height, so can see advantages there, but chunky braids and big helmet most off-putting. Foresee dark times ahead, very dark times.

• 3 months later...
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Glad I stumbled upon this thread! I'll definitely need to do some research before my SO gets here.

November 19, 2007 - Met

November 25, 2008 - Engaged

November 25, 2009 - Married

November 24, 2011 - Baby due!

Daily earning Amazon gift cards by searching the web with SwagBucks!

Lawmakers challenge new rules for legal immigrants

12/9/2008 10:13 AM

By: Catie Beck

Texas lawmakers accused the Department of Public Safety of encouraging racial profiling for adopting two new guidelines for drivers license requirements.

In May and September, the Department of Public Safety adopted provisions to create a new type of drivers license for lawful Texas residents who retain some kind of immigrant status.

Now permanent resident Juan Urena, a lawful resident of the United States for seven years, will not only receive a different license than U.S. citizens, but will also have to show proof that he is legal.

Who was there?

The American Civil Liberties Union of Texas, members of the Mexican American Legislative Caucus, the Mexican American Legal Defense and Educational Fund, State Rep. Ruth McClendon and other legislators held the press conference to DPS driver's license rules for non-citizens that went into effect Oct. 1.

"Why do you have to be predisposed and look different from the rest?" Urena said.

Urena's license will not be a horizontal card, rather, like drivers below the age of 21, it will be a vertical one. Red letters will read "temporary visitor". Under Deposes new guidelines, all permanent residents in Texas will receive the same type of licenses.

"It's called institutionalized racism," Fort Worth Rep. Lon Burnam said.

A group of lawmakers said the rules will encourage racial profiling. Furthermore, they argued that DPS has no jurisdiction to implement such rules.

"DPS has no authority to be making immigration policy," San Antonio Rep. Ruth McClendon said.

San Antonio Rep. Ruth McClendon said.

DPS officials would not give an in-person interview, but told us this effort will reduce license fraud and identity theft, which has been problematic in Texas. In Dallas, 400 foreign nationals found a loophole and got licenses.

But some lawmakers want a look at the bigger picture.

"Allow the legislature to come in to 2009 and take legislative action starting from a blank slate," San Antonio Rep. Joaquin Castro said.

Lawmakers opposed to the new rules were critical of DPS. They said the agencies role in issuing driver's license is under review.

Urena said he wonders about it as well.

"You're here for a reason, you help your community, you pay your taxes," he said.

Urena said he doesn't understand why the state is toughening rules for those who have followed them in the first place.

News8 Austin

Saludos,

Caro

I've bolded the REALLY important part of this article.

Read carefully.

It says 'permanent residents'.

So if you're going to get outraged, get outraged about the fact that GREENCARD HOLDERS will receive licenses with these designations.

Now THAT'S an outrage.

Never Fear I know a way to get around this.

We got my wife DL a few months ago. Her pic and info was sideways to denote a special licenses and red print about vistor visa. She used her EAD to get her DL, Didn't have GC at the time.

A few weeks ago she lost her licenses, and we went back to DPS and applied for another DL, this time we had GC.

She rec'd her DL in about 7 days (Quick turnaround) and it was a normal Texas DL.

Maybe this is the key to getting aroud the special DL

I don't think any one needs to know she is an immigrant besides me and USCIS.....

Edited by tallcoolone

youregonnalovemynutsf.jpg

"He always start the fire here in VJ thread and I believe all people will agree with me about it"

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

We got my wife DL a few months ago. Her pic and info was sideways to denote a special licenses and red print about vistor visa. She used her EAD to get her DL, Didn't have GC at the time.

A few weeks ago she lost her licenses, and we went back to DPS and applied for another DL, this time we had GC.

She rec'd her DL in about 7 days (Quick turnaround) and it was a normal Texas DL.

Could have just applied with a GC in first place.

Some states are just too much. I didn't even have to show my green card or any immigration status in order to get my MA license. All I used for id/address was my SS Card for signature, my old driver's license from Canada for DOB, and my 3 year driver's abstract from Ontario (had my mailing address on it). On the application, I ticked off that I was not a US Citizen and didn't want to register to vote. That was the only immigration status question that I was asked. I was even pleasantly surprised that it only cost $90.00, as I thought it would be a lot more with this out of state conversion charge.

Edited by jane2009

2001 Met

2005 Married

I-485/I-130

12/06/2006-------Mailed I-130/1-485

12/16/2006--------Recieved NOA 1 (I-130 & I-485)

12/18/2006--------Touched I-130/I-485

01/20/2007--------Biometrics

05/10/2007 -- Interview, Approved!

05/22/2007 GREEN CARD arrives!!!

02/2009 - File to lift conditions

I-765

12/14/2006--- Mailed EAD App.

01/20/2007--- Biometrics

02/09/2005-------Sent in request to Congressional office for assistance with expediting EAD.

02/13/2007 -------- EAD Approved!

02/26/2007 - ------EAD received

Removal of Conditions:

05/12/2009 -- Overnighted application by USPS express mail (VSC).

05/14/2009 -- Green Card expired.

05/23/2009 --- Check cleared bank.

05/26/2009 -- Received NOA (NOA date May 15, 2009, guess they aren't deporting me).

05/29/2009- Biometrics Notice date

06/01/2009- Received Biometrics Letter

06/18/2009 - Biometrics

09/23/2009 - date of decision to approve (letter received), just waiting for card. No online updates whatsoever.

• 2 weeks later...

Could have just applied with a GC in first place.

Didn't have GC, only had EAD when she got her DL....

youregonnalovemynutsf.jpg

"He always start the fire here in VJ thread and I believe all people will agree with me about it"

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

Wow. Fortunately I already have a valid license from the state to which I will be moving (back) that is still good for a couple of years. Hopefully they won't change it to anything "flagged as potentially suspicious" when I renew it! Well, I won't be in Texas anyway.

Maybe there is hope that Obama will help reverse this Bush-era type of legislation.

Edited by Philosykos

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.