Caladan

Researching a New Car

22 posts in this topic

Our $100 Chevy Venture is on its last legs (wheels?), and so we're looking to get a new car. We're thinking of something small, and have been intrigued by the Honda Fit, but we're still in the early stages of looking, and could use suggestions, whether it's cars you've driven and liked, or good resources beyond the usual U.S. News/Consumer reports-type listings.

Only preferences really are small, fuel-efficient, and economical. Thoughts?

AOS

-

Filed: 8/1/07

NOA1:9/7/07

Biometrics: 9/28/07

EAD/AP: 10/17/07

EAD card ordered again (who knows, maybe we got the two-fer deal): 10/23/-7

Transferred to CSC: 10/26/07

Approved: 11/21/07

The Nissan versa's are okay cars in that price range.

According to the Internal Revenue Service, the 400 richest American households earned a total of $US138 billion, up from $US105 billion a year earlier. That's an average of $US345 million each, on which they paid a tax rate of just 16.6 per cent.

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
The Nissan versa's are okay cars in that price range.

They've tested poorly compared to other cars in that category.

The Honda Fit sounds like the car for you - great fuel economy. I believe they recently changed it slightly - giving it a little more interior room. My colleague here at work has one and has been happy with it.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
Our $100 Chevy Venture is on its last legs (wheels?), and so we're looking to get a new car. We're thinking of something small, and have been intrigued by the Honda Fit, but we're still in the early stages of looking, and could use suggestions, whether it's cars you've driven and liked, or good resources beyond the usual U.S. News/Consumer reports-type listings.

fit is a good choice, i've not seen one thing negative about them.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

And the budget is?....

Small? Call it $15-25K, or thereabouts.

Yup, Amby, we did. Bought it from C.'s cousin, put in a new transmission for $400, loaded it full of his junk, and drove it 3000 miles across the border a year and a half ago. It was supposed to 'just make the trip', and it somehow has survived another year and a half.

AOS

-

Filed: 8/1/07

NOA1:9/7/07

Biometrics: 9/28/07

EAD/AP: 10/17/07

EAD card ordered again (who knows, maybe we got the two-fer deal): 10/23/-7

Transferred to CSC: 10/26/07

Approved: 11/21/07

Timeline

Here's Consumer Reports Top Picks for 2008:

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/cars/ne...-picks-2007.htm

Hyundai Elantra is on the list - we have a 2005 and it's been a great car for the value.

Hyundai Elantra SE

Redesigned for 2007, the Elantra is a well-rounded small car. It provides good fuel economy, a comfortable ride, and an interior that’s quiet, roomy, and well equipped. It also has standard electronic stability control, a proven safety feature that’s absent on many other small cars. The Honda Civic EX and Mazda3 are more fun to drive, but lack ESC on more affordable versions. Price: $18,000.

Filed: Timeline
And the budget is?....

Small? Call it $15-25K, or thereabouts.

Yup, Amby, we did. Bought it from C.'s cousin, put in a new transmission for $400, loaded it full of his junk, and drove it 3000 miles across the border a year and a half ago. It was supposed to 'just make the trip', and it somehow has survived another year and a half.

WOW!

Life is a ticket to the greatest show on earth.

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

fit is a good choice, i've not seen one thing negative about them.

If we could swing a new car, the Fit would probably be our first choice. My sister is seriously considering it. My parents are holding out for something that plugs in.

I'm the USC.

11/05/2007........Conditional permanent residency effective date.

01/10/2008........Two-year green card in hand.

08/08/2009........Our son was born <3

08/08/2009........Filed for removal of conditions.

12/16/2009........ROC was approved.

11/05/2010........Eligible for Naturalization.

03/01/2011........Separated.

11/05/2012........Eligible for Naturalization.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
Here's Consumer Reports Top Picks for 2008:

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/cars/ne...-picks-2007.htm

Hyundai Elantra is on the list - we have a 2005 and it's been a great car for the value.

Hyundai Elantra SE

Redesigned for 2007, the Elantra is a well-rounded small car. It provides good fuel economy, a comfortable ride, and an interior that’s quiet, roomy, and well equipped. It also has standard electronic stability control, a proven safety feature that’s absent on many other small cars. The Honda Civic EX and Mazda3 are more fun to drive, but lack ESC on more affordable versions. Price: $18,000.

the rav4 is on that list - i guess nessa will be happy. that's what she wants to get to replace the camaro.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

I'm about to buy a Honda Civic, and those suckers are well rated and recommended, if you are good at bargaining and patient as well, you will be able to find a good final price. However, do not expect to get better offers than those brands that are going belly-up.

American made cars are ####### anyways, you are better off with a japanese made car or at least a Korean one ;)

Edited by TävôLuDô

05/01/08 Green Card in mailbox!!

06/05/10 Real GREEN Card RECEIVED!

01/17/13 Sent application for US Citizenship!!!

01/19/13 Arrived to Arizona Lockbox

01/24/13 Notice of Action

01/25/13 Check cashed

01/28/13 NOA received by mail and biometrics letter mailed as per uscis.gov

02/14/13 Biometrics appointment

03/18/13 In-line for inteview

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

I'm with Tavo, I've heard nothing but good things about Honda and Toyota and if fuel efficiency in that price range is what you're looking for, then that's your best and safest choice.

Diana

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Timeline
I'm with Tavo, I've heard nothing but good things about Honda and Toyota and if fuel efficiency in that price range is what you're looking for, then that's your best and safest choice.

Diana

The Ford Focus is a decent small car from what I've read.

Actually...take that back:

What Edmunds.com says

The 2008 Ford Focus is much improved and still fun to drive. As a value-driven choice, it works very well, but those seeking a top small sedan or coupe should look elsewhere.

Pros

Plush ride quality, responsive steering, simple controls, very good fuel economy, quiet interior, low price.

Cons

Bland interior design and materials on most models, no rear headrests.

http://www.edmunds.com/ford/focus/2008/review.html

Edited by Mister Fancypants